• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Would you try to avoid the 50th celebration?

Nick6300

DIS Veteran
We just upgraded our tickets to 7 day PH, starting 9/4/21. And I've been regretting not having them start at end of Sept-early Oct. Original thinking was Tron didn't seem like it would be ready Oct 1, and without following much news, I guessed that Guardians wouldn't be before EP's 40th either. Ratatouille seemed close., but also guessed it would open earlier than Oct. anyhow.

1) So is there anything to look forward to for the celebration, outside of maybe some special parades, fireworks, merchandise?
2) Would you exchange early Sept for end of Sept/early Oct, knowing that MK is booked for Oct 1 it will be more (maybe significantly more) crowded, resort and maybe flight prices will be higher?

Nothing really to look forward to at WDW in 2021. Just being honest with myself that as much as WDW has gutted itself lately, the 50th anniversary is not going to be much more than a way to sell specific merchandise. What are these "parades" and "fireworks" you are talking about?

I just assumed that 50th would be like what they did for Disneyland's 60th and just make it a whole year thing with a new parade, fireworks etc.

We just upgraded our tickets to 7 day PH, starting 9/4/21. And I've been regretting not having them start at end of Sept-early Oct. Original thinking was Tron didn't seem like it would be ready Oct 1, and without following much news, I guessed that Guardians wouldn't be before EP's 40th either. Ratatouille seemed close., but also guessed it would open earlier than Oct. anyhow.

1) So is there anything to look forward to for the celebration, outside of maybe some special parades, fireworks, merchandise?
2) Would you exchange early Sept for end of Sept/early Oct, knowing that MK is booked for Oct 1 it will be more (maybe significantly more) crowded, resort and maybe flight prices will be higher?
Nothing has been announced but that didn't stop people from booking. Oct 1st is all filled up for mk

For the amt of money I pay, I try to avoid crowds at all costs. I have no interest in going at more crowded times. More crowds doesn't mean more fun to me. I'll take an empty bar/restaurant/concert/movie/bowling alley/bathroom/living room/car/porch/phone booth etc over a packed one any day of the week.

Guess when I'm not going?

We will not miss the 50th anniversary but will be there on the 13th because the 1st week will be crazy! I hope they will offer more entertainment than cavalcades though am worried the virus will still limit fireworks.

That’s us too. Going down on the 14th. Hopefully Food & Wine will be enjoyable.

If we didn't already have our trip booked and MK park passes made we would still go because we are super fans and a milestone like that is going to draw other super fans. It wasn't really about the extra "stuff" to us. But honestly, in your shoes I would just move the trip.

I'm going to be there for the Oct 1st! Looking forward to it.... What's the worst case scenario. I walk around and enjoy ice cream and listen to the sounds. Always wanted to be at a park for the actual celebration day. Not going to lie... looking forward to the "I was there shirt".

Nothing has been announced but that didn't stop people from booking. Oct 1st is all filled up for mk
I saw that, and a part of my decision making on whether to move the trip. But how is that possible given I thought you had to wait 60 days in advance to do reservations? I must be out of the loop.

I, too, wanted to be there in Oct 1 - and understood how crowded it was going to be, but like you, nintz, I was ready to just enjoy being there. But I didn't anticipate the park reservation system and MK filling up so early.

Nothing really to look forward to at WDW in 2021. Just being honest with myself that as much as WDW has gutted itself lately, the 50th anniversary is not going to be much more than a way to sell specific merchandise. What are these "parades" and "fireworks" you are talking about?

Yeah, no guarantees on anything.
I just meant with no new attractions - if you believe Ratatouille will be open earlier and already going earlier than Oct 1 - that the best case to hope for could be fireworks, parades, other shows, merch., and the like, not actual new attractions that they originally planned. I'd certainly hope they would at least do some sort of special parade, even if no night time parade. I mean, even with lower standards, you can't wait to re-open Peoplemover to Oct. 1st and say, there you go, happy 50th anniversary!

I'm going to be there for the Oct 1st! Looking forward to it.... What's the worst case scenario. I walk around and enjoy ice cream and listen to the sounds. Always wanted to be at a park for the actual celebration day. Not going to lie... looking forward to the "I was there shirt".

This... we will be there October 1st, Happy if all we do is people watch, if it gets too crazy for us, we will leave.

Same here, we've never been during a milestone and this will be our first stay at CR to boot! We are looking forward to geeking out and enjoying the atmosphere.

For me, I'll be there in March for my 50th Bday, and felt it was only right that I then was there Oct 1st for WDW 50th.
Watched MDE daily for BLT to open up and snagged each day of our stay daily as they released to get our TPV just incase fireworks are a go. :)

So, OP, to answer your question, yes, I'd go. Normally I'd avoid these crowds, but with it being my and Disney's 50th year, it was a must for me. 😁

If MK is already fully booked-during the peak of the pandemic- for Oct 1, for the rights to say "I was there", imagine what all of WDW will be like when we get this pandemic controlled.
Park reservations will start filling up, rapidly, once we see the vaccine is having an effect.
And, pre-pandemic, we had all agreed that there was no slow time at WDW.
Fall 2021 attendance will exceed normal fall attendance.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter