Would you?

happymom2one

Mouseketeer
Hello! I am hoping someone can talk me off the ledge. I don't even know if this is the right board or not!

We normally go to Disney every four or so years because of money and Disney is a lot of money. We have had this coming trip planned for about a year and half. We always planned on taking the kids out of school and going this week (the week BEFORE Thanksgiving). This is the last year we felt we can do this as my oldest is going to high school next year and felt it was too much for her to miss in high school. My mother in law has never been to Disney and beyond excited to go. We are not so worried about missing some of the magic (fireworks and characters). We are not worried so much about Covid and plan to take as many precautions as we can.

So, after reading all these horrible reviews I am worried. I am so worried about the lines always being over an hour, missing RoTR, waiting an hour or so for the skyliner (we are staying at Pop). I have been reading all the "just got back" reviews on this forum. I am so torn. I would hate to spend this type of money and be miserable. I get that crowds are going up. I didn't expect to be walking on everything but an hour for ride. People are now saying that they can't ride everything and to only pick a few must do's.

My youngest is going to be in second grade and I worry that we won't go back for years and if we don't take this trip it will be even more years. Would you still go?

Or would you go and change all your reservations and stay off site with a private pool and be able to cook. We are also worried about food options.

Please help!! Please! I can't ask my husband because he just likes to show up. I just don't want to make the wrong decision.

I'm not going and I go frequently enough where the things that are missing wouldn't be the end of the world.

The thing is if you're already worried about spending the money and being miserable, you'll end up being miserable. I'd punt for a year, or pick a different week and deal with the summer heat of August?

I think if the past 6 months have taught us anything about kids and school is that our school structure could use some tweaks, and maybe missing a week of school won't be as big a deal next year as it would have been in the before time. Perhaps there will be more of an opportunity for asynchronous learning?

Also are we talking Canadian Thanksgiving or US thanksgiving?

I'm not going and I go frequently enough where the things that are missing wouldn't be the end of the world.

The thing is if you're already worried about spending the money and being miserable, you'll end up being miserable. I'd punt for a year, or pick a different week and deal with the summer heat of August?

I think if the past 6 months have taught us anything about kids and school is that our school structure could use some tweaks, and maybe missing a week of school won't be as big a deal next year as it would have been in the before time. Perhaps there will be more of an opportunity for asynchronous learning?

Also are we talking Canadian Thanksgiving or US thanksgiving?

We are talking US Thanksgiving. We are going Nov 15 - nov 20. so it is during the week.

I try to be a positive person and think positive. I think it is all these negative reviews are speaking to me. I do know the saying that more people complain that people that are happy and that is what is keeping me going and planning.

We are talking US Thanksgiving. We are going Nov 15 - nov 20. so it is during the week.

I try to be a positive person and think positive. I think it is all these negative reviews are speaking to me. I do know the saying that more people complain that people that are happy and that is what is keeping me going and planning.

I'd punt for a year, but that's just me. Are you in a location that would require you to quarantine or work for an employer that would require that? They KEEP changing our travel restrictions at work, as of right now I'm not allowed outside New England nor am I allowed to attend events with more than 50 people indoors or more than 100 people outdoors without requiring a 2 week quarantine.

If you are worried about money, don't go!! Disney is expensive (we went in August for 12 days). I spent less than we normally would, because everything wasn't open - as far as dining and snacks. Personally, I would go back in a heartbeat. We (My family) as well as everyone has been through a lot. This year taught me we never know when, how or why some things happen and we have no control over. I personally am very pleased to have had the opportunity to spend special time with my family. I know we aren't guaranteed a tomorrow and I will do what I can afford to make special\magical memories with family!!

I'd punt for a year, but that's just me. Are you in a location that would require you to quarantine or work for an employer that would require that? They KEEP changing our travel restrictions at work, as of right now I'm not allowed outside New England nor am I allowed to attend events with more than 50 people indoors or more than 100 people outdoors without requiring a 2 week quarantine.

That is one thing I do not have to worry about!! thank goodness!

If you are worried about money, don't go!! Disney is expensive (we went in August for 12 days). I spent less than we normally would, because everything wasn't open - as far as dining and snacks. Personally, I would go back in a heartbeat. We (My family) as well as everyone has been through a lot. This year taught me we never know when, how or why some things happen and we have no control over. I personally am very pleased to have had the opportunity to spend special time with my family. I know we aren't guaranteed a tomorrow and I will do what I can afford to make special\magical memories with family!!

We aren't worried about the money just that it is a lot of money... if that makes sense. I couldn't agree more about never knowing and enjoying the time you have... thank you for reminding me of that.

Hello! I am hoping someone can talk me off the ledge. I don't even know if this is the right board or not!

We normally go to Disney every four or so years because of money and Disney is a lot of money. We have had this coming trip planned for about a year and half. We always planned on taking the kids out of school and going this week (the week BEFORE Thanksgiving). This is the last year we felt we can do this as my oldest is going to high school next year and felt it was too much for her to miss in high school. My mother in law has never been to Disney and beyond excited to go. We are not so worried about missing some of the magic (fireworks and characters). We are not worried so much about Covid and plan to take as many precautions as we can.

So, after reading all these horrible reviews I am worried. I am so worried about the lines always being over an hour, missing RoTR, waiting an hour or so for the skyliner (we are staying at Pop). I have been reading all the "just got back" reviews on this forum. I am so torn. I would hate to spend this type of money and be miserable. I get that crowds are going up. I didn't expect to be walking on everything but an hour for ride. People are now saying that they can't ride everything and to only pick a few must do's.

My youngest is going to be in second grade and I worry that we won't go back for years and if we don't take this trip it will be even more years. Would you still go?

Or would you go and change all your reservations and stay off site with a private pool and be able to cook. We are also worried about food options.

Please help!! Please! I can't ask my husband because he just likes to show up. I just don't want to make the wrong decision.
If you can only go 4 years, personally I don't think it's worth it right now. We went in Sept and had fun, but there's A LOT missing and I would've felt bummed if I went and then wouldn't be able to go back for another 4 yrs. because there was a lot we missed and honestly the value isn't really there in our opinion. We're crazy dumb Disney ppl though so we just keep hanging them money lol.

I am truly feeling your pain and being on the fence, we also go every 4 years. We had our "Bucket list" vacay for 8 days at CL Poly booked for May 2020....well, we all know that didn't happen. I was on the fence about cancelling our June 2021 studio room at the Poly (since the hotel will be under renovation) and possibility of no monorail (you know, that long list of everything that is no longer happening). I even booked hopper passes for 2020 which might not be in effect by 2021...but DH said why no still go but NOT make it a bucket list vacay. So I am now considering 6 days (fly in Sun & out on Fri) with just one day at each park. We have flight credit that I will lose if we don't use it by Dec 2021! So we are going to put the "saved money" back into our vacay fund and maybe in 2024 we will shoot to do the bucket list Poly when life is back to normal from luggage transfer, hopper passes and more!
Can you consider going the week after the kids gets out of school? DS is out by May 26th but we are going to hold off an go the first full week in June so we aren't spending our first day there on Memorial day...again, cheaper rate and not a holiday. Just a thought!

In my personal opinion, I would wait until 2021. As you've said Disney is just plain expensive and to go without the full experience would bother me. I'm not entirely sure where you live, but when I was in school my parents took me late August just before schools started again in northern US. The southern schools had already begun so the crowds were down by just a little. I think if you're questioning it, it's best to wait.

Same boat here as well. Had a big week planned with the entire family for this past June. We re-booked (ever hopeful) that things would be "normal" in August. Well that went south fast. We thought about trying January, but we really want the entire, full park experience! No fast pass, park hopping... no thanks. Now we're thinking 2022. time will tell....

We were there last week. Now, I do get to go a few long weekends a year. BUT, I still think I would go even if it was a trip every few years.

Posted wait times were almost always double the actual wait time. FoP and Seven Dwarfs were the only ones that were the actual wait for us. In the first hour and a half at AK, we did Dinousaurx2, Everestx2, stopped for several cavalcades and did the safari!

We were there last week. Now, I do get to go a few long weekends a year. BUT, I still think I would go even if it was a trip every few years.

Posted wait times were almost always double the actual wait time. FoP and Seven Dwarfs were the only ones that were the actual wait for us. In the first hour and a half at AK, we did Dinousaurx2, Everestx2, stopped for several cavalcades and did the safari!

That's awesome and I love to hear that!!

We chose to cancel our onsite reservations and have rented a beautiful house with tons of amenities for half the price since we know this just won't be as magical of a trip this year. BUT, we still want to get away! Of 10 days, only 4 will be Disney park days. We will have Walmart deliver groceries when we get there and will eat all but one meal a day at home. We will cook and Grubhub when not eating out.

We will enjoy family time, the house and resort amenities, bought a pop up Christmas tree to put up, and will make the most of our park days.

We chose to cancel our onsite reservations and have rented a beautiful house with tons of amenities for half the price since we know this just won't be as magical of a trip this year. BUT, we still want to get away! Of 10 days, only 4 will be Disney park days. We will have Walmart deliver groceries when we get there and will eat all but one meal a day at home. We will cook and Grubhub when not eating out.

We will enjoy family time, the house and resort amenities, bought a pop up Christmas tree to put up, and will make the most of our park days.

We thought of doing the same thing. I think you guys will have a great trip. I still wish we would have picked that.

You won't be miserable! I have been to MK (in Aug) and HS earlier this month and yes it was crowded BUT still an amazing time at Disney! <3

We went towards the end of August and our biggest challenge was the lack of food options. They have been opening new places and putting new options into place ever since then though. We are going again next week, so we'll see how much of an impact those changes make.

While there is a lot that's not happening now, there are some new things they are doing. The character cavalcades are fun and unexpected. I also enjoy some of the "distanced" characters sightings. I had a really great experience with Pooh at Epcot during our last trip. I love the new "distanced" character sightings that they are doing now. They create a unique and quick interaction and then I move on with my day. No waiting in lines for character meet and greets. Mind you, I'm a grown adult and won't have a complete meltdown if I don't get to see my favorite character, so not everyone will enjoy these impromptu experiences as much as I do.

My vote would be for you to go. It will be a different experience than what you have had in the past, but you will still be making memories with your family. I think you just really have to set expectations with your family of what this experience will be like so they don't go into expecting something that isn't there and then having to deal with that disappointment.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter