Wouldn't it be nice if SSR.....

minnieandmickey

Queen of the run on sentence!
Let you rent golf carts like FW does? I keep reading about how large the resort is and thought why not have golf carts to get around the resort. What do you think?

First, its not that big and unmanagable. The Carosel section is the worse, but by no means requiring transportation. Worse case its a 10 minute walk.

Second, there are golf carts in use up at the lobby. They will transport you to your room if you need it.

Third, I certainly don't want to have my maintenance fees go up for them. Or deal with kids hoping on the carts and joy riding thru the resort, like they do now with the motorized wheelchairs in the parks.

After hiking from our room in Congress Park to where you catch the boat to DTD I would have said absolutely terrific idea but actually how often would you do this when you can walk over there (DTD) in about ten minutes? (what were we thinking anyway??) I have to agree with tomandrobin. The resort is not that unmanagable and I think the negatives would far outweigh the positives in having golfcarts running amuck all over the lovely landscaping. jmo

We stayed in Carousel and for those that are stuck way out there without a car, there HAS to be a solution. It was just awful. And I have no problem with walking places, but when time is of the essence, there's gotta be a better way. I don't know if golf carts are the answer, but it sure would have been nice many times that week for CM's to have come and pick us up to get to the main bldg and back. (I know, we did take the bus there, its the ride back thats the problem and the time it takes to do all that)

Hmm, let me see. Housekeeping and maintenance use golf carts. They routinely park in the hatchmarks where my HA van ramp deploys blocking me in or out of my car. They go around 10-15 mph, 2-3x my max wheelchair speed and 3-4x a normal person's walking speed.

Now let's let guests rent those carts and leave them all over the parking lot or zoom about on the main roads and sidewalks. YEAH! SSR can become a true race course with built-in hazards! No worries about accidents. The fire department is right across the road. And maybe they can specialize in special Mickey casts for all those broken arms and Minnie bandaids for all those cuts.

:banana: :banana: :rotfl:

We stayed in Carousel and for those that are stuck way out there without a car, there HAS to be a solution. It was just awful. And I have no problem with walking places, but when time is of the essence, there's gotta be a better way. I don't know if golf carts are the answer, but it sure would have been nice many times that week for CM's to have come and pick us up to get to the main bldg and back. (I know, we did take the bus there, its the ride back thats the problem and the time it takes to do all that)

I know you had a rough time of it. We've discussed that before.

My only concern is exactly how something like that can be worked out. It's a demand question. What if there are only 2-3 guests per day wanting a lift, and several hours apart? Is it worth it to run some inter-resort shuttle service that might get used so sparingly if at all?

If so, then why doesn't OKW have it? Some of their cul de sacs are even more remote than the Carousel.

I think I like better having more satellite refill stations for beverages. I think it would've been better if they put a pool bar at the Paddocks pool instead of Grandstand. Perhaps a little shop there for milk, OJ and refrigerated stuff that can keep.

Thanks for the info. I own at SSR but have not stayed there....yet. It just seemed that everyone complains about how HUGE it is I was wondering why not have some sort of mode of transportation. But I can see everyones point. Looking forward to staying there soon.

When we were at HHI, I loved the length-of-stay, park-at-your-villa, bicycle rentals. I think something like that would be lovely at SSR because of all the paths and trails.

SSR is large, but certainly not unmanageable. I like the idea of refillable mug stations at each major area. I don't actually think it necessary to sell groceries outside of Artist's Pallette since they do provide delivery service ;)

I guess everything is all about perception because I don't find SSR that huge. Yes it is a little bigger but gosh it isn't like we are talking about having to walk from SSR to Epcot here.

Golf carts . . absolutely not. There is no need, such a waste. Walk, it's good for you. It will keep your heart healthy and help you live longer to enjoy SSR until it does revert back to Disney.

The furthest room at SSR to the main complex is definitely much shorter than the furthest room at OKW to the Hospitality House area.

SSR is not that big.

At Ft. Wilderness, I think golf carts rent for about $40/day. How many would really be that interested in renting them?

If someone really has that much trouble walking they could rent an ECV for their trip. Otherwise , walk, and stay healthy...:thumbsup2

Walk, it's good for you. It will keep your heart healthy and help you live longer to enjoy SSR until it does revert back to Disney.

I totally agree. It makes me so confused when people go to Disney and walk all day or all night around the parks and then they say they can't walk around the resort because it is too "big". :confused3

It just irritates me.

I totally agree. It makes me so confused when people go to Disney and walk all day or all night around the parks and then they say they can't walk around the resort because it is too "big". :confused3

It just irritates me.

You read my mind.;)

Just say no to golf carts as a means of personal convenience. Your heart will thank you.
I believe Disney Institute had a cart rental program. I remember seeing golf carts out by the tree house Villas. That resort died and SSR took over about half of its property.
Enjoy what SSR has to offer and forget the carts. If mobility is an issue, a power chair seems so much more pedestrian friendly

Enjoy what SSR has to offer and forget the carts. If mobility is an issue, a power chair seems so much more pedestrian friendly

Not to mention environmentally-friendly, unless Disney is using newer electric-powered golf carts.

Honestly, powerchairs and scooters are much better than even bicycles. They go a max of 5mph while a bike or golf cart can do 25mph. I've had to dodge quite a few bicycles in HHI. Not fun. And I've had my fill of dodging golf carts in Williamsburg.

Mind you, I've been known to race my powerchair at it's max 4.5 mph but even that is merely a fast walk/slow run. It's dangerous only in tide corners and crowds. The others are clearly accidents waiting to happen.

Thanks for the info. I own at SSR but have not stayed there....yet. It just seemed that everyone complains about how HUGE it is I was wondering why not have some sort of mode of transportation. But I can see everyones point. Looking forward to staying there soon.

Don't trouble yourself. There's no harm in asking. A lot of the misconceptions about SSR's size arise from those used to staying at what I lovingly call the "little 3" DVC resorts, also known as hotel resorts. (BCV, BWV and VWL). For them the check-in and resort centers is where you get off the bus. They're used to just having one route to travel everyday, so SSR's 5 sections and variety is a big surprise.

The interesting thing to note is that it's those wide areas and scenic pathways that hotel-resort owners hate which make the resort one of the best for those who love it. It never feels crowded at SSR while you always feel like you're tripping over people at BCV and BWV. I myself prefer communing with the natural wildlife on a SSR stay than dodging human pedestrians on the Boardwalk.

Only thing I don't fancy at SSR is taking a long stroll in yucky weather (cold or raining). That's why I avoid February/early March stays. My last trip that time I had a non-park day where it was 40 degrees and rained all day. I spent it wandering about the Contemporary lobby and arcade.

I'll tell you this much, when we stayed at SSR with my parents who were 81 and 71 respectively we all walked that resort just fine. And we were in the Paddock which back then was the most remote section. If my parents who between them have: blindness, diabetes, cancer, lympodemia and God knows what else can walk that resort, anybody can! Seriously, it didn't feel that large to me. I can see how if you are used to one of the Epcot DVC's it would be a bit of a culture shock. But that works both ways. When we stayed at BWV I missed my SSR walks. Its not for everyone and thats okay but I think golf carts would be overkill. And ruin the feel of the peace and tranquility of the resort. Whenever I stay at POR or CSR where golf carts are used by the staff all I see are lots of dead, smashed lizards. And we all know that if people rent those golf carts to use themselves, its only a matter of time some idiot lets their ten year old drive one. No thanks, I'll keep walking and if I get the Carousel so be it.

not to be rude but come on people!!! SSR is not that big that you can't walk from place to place!! If so then just go to your nearest bus stop and ride to the front! I keep hearing all these people say how big and unmanageable the place is...I have stayed there twice...and I never had these problems!! I understand some might needmedical assistance but it seems the majority just want something to complain about! JMHO

Sometimes the walk is unbearable in the heat. And then I don't like walking back to our room after using the pool in my suit and stuff. Yes, we do walk all day at the parks - so who wants all the walking in the resort? What I think they should do is have trams. Like enough for say about 10 - 15 people specifically for people getting around SSR. They should ride around the loop continuously so you would never have to wait that long.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter