Wound Vac & WDW

kimysbug

DIS Veteran
Everyone here on the disAbilities has been so great trying to answer all my questions.

Mom went to the Dr. today and she needs yet anther sugery this time to clean a wound and get a wound vac/she has had vacs before.

has anyone travel with one before?
Any problems with rides or anything? I should be aware of?
Should I cancel yet another trip, mo would be so sad she is so very excited to go.

I am hoping she will be free of vac by Sept. but i don't know

I am very sad for mom- She really wants to go to WDW
with us

My DH just recently had surgery to repair a sore and had to use a wound vac for several months. We didn't do any traveling during this time, however we did notice that even times when we had to just go out to the doctor or such, sometimes moving around tended to interupt the good seal on the vac and any kind of heat can also loosen the seal around the sponge. If you are able to get a good seal or can take some extra supplies to repair a loose seal then you might be okay but I think it also might make some challenges for your trip.

Along with the extra supplies during the day, be sure that the battery pack is completly charged each day otherwise it is very annoying when the battery alarm goes off.

I work in a hospital where a lot of patients have wounds that are vac'd (I am not direct care, I am a nurse, but do indirect care). I know some of the patients are able to go to therapy with the wound vac on, but there are quite a few things that can disrupt the seal, as the other poster mentioned.

I don't know if she will be using a wheelchair or where her wound is, but trying to limit the movements out of the wheelchair may help. There are many attractions (mostly shows) that she would be able to go to without moving from the wheelchair. I'd suggest it might be good to concentrate on those types of attractions on this trip.

Also, if you check out the disABILITIES FAQs thread near the top of the board, there is a link in there to a past thread about where to find power outlets in the parks. Remember, she can always go to First Aid in any of the parks to 'plug in', rest, store supplies or make 'repairs.'

Thank you all for the replies.

I was just so upset & not thinking.
If she still has a wound I will just wet to dry dressings those days.

Mom was in the hospital for 16 months & I promised she can go to DISNEY WORLD.

Have you considered how the adhesive (dressing) that holds the would vac in place and holds the seal..will hold up in the heat and more so the humitidy? The humitiy and the additional movement of being on Vacation and in the parks. Those are a couple big things I'd consider. Hopefully if all goes well she won't need it on that long. However 'if' it should look like she'll still have it during the trip time you may want to reconsider the timing of the trip. Even picking October or November....when the humitidy levels drop some may help a great deal.

I've worked with would vacs a number of times...and sometimes if conditions aren't ideal you could spend a LONG LONG time working with the dressing to get the seal. Doing wet to dry dressing changes would be one thing...but to spend a unknown amount of time to get that vac to work could be enough to drive one nuts or put a big damper on a vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter