WOW! Disney is the greatest with food allergies!

RxforDisney

Just lurking around.
We just got back from a 6 day trip last week. My DS (2 1/2) is milk, egg, and peanut allergic. I had heard how great Disney was with food allergies, but there is nothing like experiencing it first hand!

Let me just say that I did not step foot in a grocery store the whole time I was there!!!!!! It was a vacation for me! I did not have to cook, or worry about where we went to eat (for the most part). Every table service place we ate, the chef personally spoke with us and prepared special food for DS.

Here is the most amazing thing: Disney says that children under three eat free from buffets and from the parents plate. I had just assumed that since they were preparing him special food, that we would have to pay for his meals. Well, I WAS WRONG! Not once did they charge us for his meal.

Here is a list of the places we ate:

Toluca Turkey Legs - MGM - YUM!
Room Service at the Beach Club - TWICE
Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe - THREE TIMES
Whispering Canyon - HOW FUN!
Hollywood and Vine Character Breakfast - continental style due to power failure
Beaches and Cream - Dinner and Dessert
Restaraunt Askerhaus Character Breakfast
Ice Cream Parlor on Main Street - everyone there knew what tofutti was!
Chef Mickey's - Mickey "icecream" for dessert
Cape May Cafe Character Breakfast - He had Mickey Waffles

:welcome: to disABILITIES!

Glad you had a great time and it exceeded your expectations. With that reaction I guess you'll be buying into DVC and getting an Annual Pass for WDW.

That is a definite possibility! But, I have to finish paying for this vacation first! LOL

My DD has food allergies. Did you let the restaurants know about it before you were seated or when you made your reservations?

That is great! We so much appreciate how well Disney handles food allergies. My 4 yr old is very allergic to peanuts and also a type 1 diabetic. We've eaten at many restaurants at WDW and no problems.

I suggest to anyone going who has special dietary requirements to have them noted on the ADR when you make it and talk to the chef at the restaurant beforehand if needed (if the allergy is very complicated). I was also able to request items to be served that weren't normally carried in that restaurant or things they didnt normally serve (he is 4 yrs old so nothing complicated - I'm talking about a hot dog, sliced tomatoes, black olives, peas, etc.).

steffali said:
My DD has food allergies. Did you let the restaurants know about it before you were seated or when you made your reservations?

I made all of the table service reservations ahead of time and had the allergies noted on the ADRs (Advance Dining Reservations). But, I forgot to have it noted on one of them, and when we got there it was no problem. The chef's were all very nice and accomidating. For the most part he was able to eat something off of the menu or buffet. At Beaches and Cream, they had Tofutti ice cream, chocolate syrup, and mickey sprinkles. At Whispering Canyon, he could not have any of the desserts, so the chef went downstairs to the gift shop and got him an Itsakadoozie pop. At Cape May Cafe, they made him special Mickey Waffles. At Chef Mickey's they grilled him a chicken breast and cooked him some mickey pasta with red sauce. And, they made him a chocolate Tofutti Ice Cream Mickey Mouse. I think the Chefs really enjoy the challenge sometimes.

As far as counter service places, I emailed Brenda Bennett at Magic Kingdom Foods, and she sent me a list of the foods that were safe for him at those places. Sorry, I can't find her email address right now, but I will try to post it later.

Room Service was totally spur of the moment. No advance planning, and they were very accomidating. He was able to eat the hot dog and fries, and they made his corn without butter. And, they made him special pancakes for breakfast.

Since he is 2 1/2, his foods are more basic, but I know for adults with food allergies the chefs have been known to get very creative.

Apparently you are dealing with food allergies at your house too, what kind?

My dd had Tofutti at Whispering Canyon - maybe they were out of it when you were there.

The way food allergies are handled at WDW is one of the main reasons we always choose to return.

Glad to hear you had a good experience with this. Between my two daughters we have allergies to peanuts, tree nuts, milk, eggs, and shellfish- we have had similar great experiences.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter