• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wow how things have changed.

I hear you on that! I always saved AK for my last day of my trips, but we never went for more than 5 days so we were lucky to get an afternoon slot for FOP when our FP+ reservation window opened. Usually, because we went the week before Xmas, regular park hours would get extended a month before our trip and I could grab one in the 8am-9am slot. But it did take a lot of forum stalking to grab those right when they dropped!
Historically, were the parks very crowded that week before Xmas? Like….risking suspension of hopping level crowded? We’ve been at crowded times and never hated the parks experience but the way people are talking about crowds right now just confuses me.

Historically, were the parks very crowded that week before Xmas? Like….risking suspension of hopping level crowded? We’ve been at crowded times and never hated the parks experience but the way people are talking about crowds right now just confuses me.
Not enough to shutdown before. Who knows about park hopping this year. Last year there weren't enough crowds for a good indication. It's really the week between xmas and NYE that's the worst. Even then, it's really only been xmas day and NYE at MK that were a concern.

Now, concerning FOP FP+, those could easily be gone for a typical summer day trip within minutes. It didn't need to be very busy for FOP FP+ to be difficult to get, especially if the trip was short or the AK day was early in the trip.

As a long time DVC member I still enjoy staying at the resorts, but feel like I'm being driven away from the parks. I'm to the point where I'm going to buy as few parks days as necessary and then spend more time at waterparks and resort. More so than the Genie+ & LL, the removal of so many things we love and cutback in services over the past seven years or so has really taken much of the luster off of the Disney vacation.

Last edited:
As a long time DVC member I still enjoy staying at the resorts, but feel like I'm being driven away from the parks. I'm to the point where I'm going to buy as few parks days as necessary and then spend more time at waterparks and resort. More so than the Genie+ & LL, the removal of so many things we love and cutback in services over the past seven years or so has really taken much of the luster off of the Disney vacation.

I hate to say that I agree with you, but I agree with you. Last year I sold my DVC at VGF for a very nice profit, and just yesterday I canceled my upcoming trip in February to WDW. There are just way too many cutbacks, limited experiences, elimination of benefits along with Genie+ and LL to name a few, I just am losing interest in longer stays to WDW. Never thought I'd get to this place, but that is where I am at right now. WDW used to be our go-to almost every year but now looks like it's going to be a once in a while thing for us in the near future.

IMHO, posts on here or emails to WDW about your experience/dissatisfaction won’t move the needle.
You need to post on social media. Facebook/Twitter etc. I think those posts get more attention.
Interestingly enough, I am starting to notice more and more complaining in the Disney Facebook groups I am in across the board (with maybe the exception of DCL). The only people who seem to be championing the changes are the influencers, and even that seems to ring hollow.

My family just returned from an eight night stay yesterday. This is the first time I've gotten home and not been sad and missing the heck out of the place. I did have fun and my kids had a blast but it was just not the same for me on this trip. First, the crowds for what is typically a slower time seemed like spring break crowds. Genie+ and ILL$ is garbage compared to fastpass. They are joke on even slightly crowded days. Waking up at 7am every day on vacation for this is torture. We saw Disney Enchantment and it doesn't come close to Happily Ever After or Wishes. Wishes and Happily Ever After were awesome and an emotional experience for me and Enchantment was not. Harmonious is not nearly good enough to justify the monstrosities they put in World Showcase Lagoon. Some cast members seem to be much more worried about a 4 year old's mask not covering their nose than guest experience. But they did make sure we packed into all the pre-shows like sardines. I also noticed, as others have mentioned, cleanliness issues, transportation issues, poor food quality, etc. It was an enjoyable trip overall but the atmosphere in the parks felt different and I didn't feel the Disney magic like I have in the past.

As sad as some of these posts are, I think they are preparing me for our trip next December. I'm sure even more will change and maybe even some things will iron themselves out, but the night time shows always made me cry, and I am tempering my expectations going in. Will 100 not be getting up at 7 am. We will make the best of the trip. But this may cure me of my Disney parks habit.

That week was busy, but much less busy than the week between Xmas and New Years. But we always went to AK on Xmas day, which should be the busiest day for most of the parks even if they don't reach capacity. What made it manageable was the increased park hours. When you could get into MK at 7am or AK at 8am, those first few hours were like visiting during a "dead" time of year. With FP+, we could ride the Pandora rides, Safari and Everest by lunch, and then either see a show like Nemo while waiting for our 4th FP+ for Dinosaur, or go back to the hotel and open presents. It was a really relaxing and fun experience, and we didn't have to zigzag across the park at all.

On Dec 5, I honestly felt like some Disney noob who had showed up at noon on July 4th with no plan or idea what I was doing. I think that's the point of Genie+. They want to put new visitors and experienced guests on equal footing, but for the experienced guests, it's a real loss of control over your day.

Just returned from very disappointing trip. Room issues, bus issues, After Hours event issues, Genie+ issues, park hopping issues, Uber issues.....wasted hours and hours trying to resolve problems with very little success. probably going to cancel upcoming trips planned for Jan. and May. even if we do take the trips definitely not planning to renew APs when they expire in June.🙁

I'm back at our resort now and honestly so deflated after today. I don't even recognize this place anymore. Genie/Genie+ is an unmitigated disaster. The executives who devised this system and the entire IT department should be ashamed of themselves.

The crowds are mind boggling (and everyone is walking around snapping at each other).

Old masks, trash and leaves all over the walkways. I think this is the first trip ever where I didn't see custodial even one time in a park. The bathrooms are horror shows.

The shining spot? CMs. Each one doing the best they can. Bless them.
Ugh, sorry that was your experience. With what they charge now, you shouldn't deal with messes everywhere. But, I am hoping it's because of a shortage of staff right now.

I can't see the executives feeling ashamed. I don't think they care, as long as their pockets are lined!

The 7am thing probably works best for families with littles who are up anyway. Honestly, Disney should release the LL/ILL times th
That week was busy, but much less busy than the week between Xmas and New Years. But we always went to AK on Xmas day, which should be the busiest day for most of the parks even if they don't reach capacity. What made it manageable was the increased park hours. When you could get into MK at 7am or AK at 8am, those first few hours were like visiting during a "dead" time of year. With FP+, we could ride the Pandora rides, Safari and Everest by lunch, and then either see a show like Nemo while waiting for our 4th FP+ for Dinosaur, or go back to the hotel and open presents. It was a really relaxing and fun experience, and we didn't have to zigzag across the park at all.

On Dec 5, I honestly felt like some Disney noob who had showed up at noon on July 4th with no plan or idea what I was doing. I think that's the point of Genie+. They want to put new visitors and experienced guests on equal footing, but for the experienced guests, it's a real loss of control over your day.
thats a helpful point of view. Thank you!

The 7am thing probably works best for families with littles who are up anyway. Honestly, Disney should release the LL/ILL times th

thats a helpful point of view. Thank you!
Mom with little here!

nope, it doesn’t work…the stress of frantically logging on to reserve ride reservations is the last thing we need in the middle of trying to get a 4 & 6 year fed, dressed and ready in a small hotel room, while making sure you have everything ready for the day ahead.
Also, “families of littles” also more than likely benefit from flexibility in their day, like said if 3 year olds nap time is 2pm, but that’s the only time you got for SDD your out of luck. Or ya know if your 6 year old is exhausted and on the brink of a meltdown and could really use a resort break 20 minutes before your already paid for LL$ reservation that can’t be refunded or modified…..then what?
The 7am thing is crap. I can’t think of many people that this works for.

Mom with little here!

nope, it doesn’t work…the stress of frantically logging on to reserve ride reservations is the last thing we need in the middle of trying to get a 4 & 6 year fed, dressed and ready in a small hotel room, while making sure you have everything ready for the day ahead.
Also, “families of littles” also more than likely benefit from flexibility in their day, like said if 3 year olds nap time is 2pm, but that’s the only time you got for SDD your out of luck. Or ya know if your 6 year old is exhausted and on the brink of a meltdown and could really use a resort break 20 minutes before your already paid for LL$ reservation that can’t be refunded or modified…..then what?
The 7am thing is crap. I can’t think of many people that this works for.
Right?! I tried saying this in another thread and someone just kept telling me how 7am was perfect (because it was perfect for them). Especially in a hotel room, I'm not going to be able to get up and do this without waking them up and that just becomes its own thing. I haven't had to do it yet (trip is late Jan) but this is a part I'm really dreading (that and trying to get LL times later in the park, hearing that they'll change even after you try to get one, with two younger kids as a single parent). I want to be able to keep my eyes on them during my time at the park (especially because I don't want the next request to be, "Can I have the phone?", lol).

All ears has a pretty good summary of why people are disgusted with Disney right now in an article recently published. I think the only thing she did not mention was the dirtiness of Disney, the counter service tables, the bathrooms, and the streets….

What kind of Uber issues did you run into?
I confirmed an Uber and screen indicated driver was 4 min away then I could see on screen driver was going opposite direction and time changed to 6 min away then I got message that driver was completing a drop off ...then a message that driver was 4 min away then looked like driver was going in a different direction and time of arrival increased again finally driver appeared after 27 min and when I immediately went over to car he said he had been waiting...I told him I had been watching and he insisted that the app didn’t always work right...then said his English wasn’t good...he then proceeded to go the wrong way to WL and made a left toward TTC/ Poly instead of a left to go to WL...anyway about 3 min after i got out and he drove away I got an email receipt showing I was charged a waiting fee and ride fee almost double the original amoun quoted...i emailed Uber and let them know about my experience. Got a return email saying they would investigate finally the next day I got another email with a refund. That night instead of calling an uber we took boat from WL to MK then got bus back to our resort. another night (Sunday) we were charged $8.43to Uber from CSR to Beach Club at 5:00 pm and the charge to return to CSR an hour later was $34.87...
I did use Uber on 2 afternoons with no problems and reasonable rates. We did check Uber for the ride back to the airport at 3:15 pm on a Tuesday and rate was over $50 so we decided to go ahead and use the magical express one last time...

I confirmed an Uber and screen indicated driver was 4 min away then I could see on screen driver was going opposite direction and time changed to 6 min away then I got message that driver was completing a drop off ...then a message that driver was 4 min away then looked like driver was going in a different direction and time of arrival increased again finally driver appeared after 27 min and when I immediately went over to car he said he had been waiting...I told him I had been watching and he insisted that the app didn’t always work right...then said his English wasn’t good...he then proceeded to go the wrong way to WL and made a left toward TTC/ Poly instead of a left to go to WL...anyway about 3 min after i got out and he drove away I got an email receipt showing I was charged a waiting fee and ride fee almost double the original amoun quoted...i emailed Uber and let them know about my experience. Got a return email saying they would investigate finally the next day I got another email with a refund. That night instead of calling an uber we took boat from WL to MK then got bus back to our resort. another night (Sunday) we were charged $8.43to Uber from CSR to Beach Club at 5:00 pm and the charge to return to CSR an hour later was $34.87...
I did use Uber on 2 afternoons with no problems and reasonable rates. We did check Uber for the ride back to the airport at 3:15 pm on a Tuesday and rate was over $50 so we decided to go ahead and use the magical express one last time...
Sorry you had that experience. Uber could be really dodgy that way, even before Covid, in very touristy busy places. Post Covid I stopped using them and sm back to using taxis or occasionally Lyft.

Right?! I tried saying this in another thread and someone just kept telling me how 7am was perfect (because it was perfect for them). Especially in a hotel room, I'm not going to be able to get up and do this without waking them up and that just becomes its own thing. I haven't had to do it yet (trip is late Jan) but this is a part I'm really dreading (that and trying to get LL times later in the park, hearing that they'll change even after you try to get one, with two younger kids as a single parent). I want to be able to keep my eyes on them during my time at the park (especially because I don't want the next request to be, "Can I have the phone?", lol).
I don’t have littles anymore but I’m old and wake up early. So maybe that’s why 7am doesn’t sound so bad to me :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter