WOW is it worth it????

mort1331

DIS Veteran
Just looking at things to do when we are there in July. The Luau at Aulani is $170per person,,and we have an 11 and 15 who wont be drinking. We have done and love doing the HDDMR at WDW but that is only $70pp. I know that everything will be more expensive on the island,,,but this is a big jump. Is it worth it? I know I expect different views,,but welcome all....thanks

All luaus are expensive. You are paying for an amazing show with at least a dozen dancers and entertainers. They don’t do it for free. You also get an all you can eat meal (used to be buffet), but you are really paying for the show. Drinks are just a rum punch style, so that really doesn’t matter much. I enjoyed the Aulani luau. I thought it was a very professional production. If you don’t think your kids would appreciate a Hawaiian cultural show, don’t take them. If they appreciate it, then yes it’s worth it. Its too expensive if they don’t care. I wouldn’t force my kid to go if she weren’t excited about seeing it.

Yes, and I'd also say it's worth upgrading to Preferred Seating.

As @ITGirl50 said, you're not paying $200 for a meal that also happens to include a show. You're paying $200 for a show that also happens to include a meal. The food is secondary. Think of it like you're buying tickets to a Broadway show, and the food is sort of an afterthought (not that it's bad, it's just not really the point). If you go in expecting a $200 culinary experience, you're going to leave feeling ripped off.

Yes, and I'd also say it's worth upgrading to Preferred Seating.

As @ITGirl50 said, you're not paying $200 for a meal that also happens to include a show. You're paying $200 for a show that also happens to include a meal. The food is secondary. Think of it like you're buying tickets to a Broadway show, and the food is sort of an afterthought (not that it's bad, it's just not really the point). If you go in expecting a $200 culinary experience, you're going to leave feeling ripped off.
No not thinking about the food. Trying to compare to HDDMR as that is good food, but not what you go for either.

Just looking at things to do when we are there in July. The Luau at Aulani is $170per person,,and we have an 11 and 15 who wont be drinking. We have done and love doing the HDDMR at WDW but that is only $70pp. I know that everything will be more expensive on the island,,,but this is a big jump. Is it worth it? I know I expect different views,,but welcome all....thanks

food is terrible at all luaus. do it for los ninos

Hawaii has something for every budget. You will also have a great time with a sunset walk on the beach. Overall we avoid most the big ticket items, but we do like the luaus

I have such a hard time with the price of the Aulani Luau when there used to be such a fantastic stage only show that was included.
I know the Aulani luau is longer and more fleshed out than the old show plus includes food, drinks, pre show games and activities but I wish they would offer a show only option.
For me, being Canadian, I have to take the USD exchange into consideration as well so I am looking at almost $1000 CND for this event.
I would honestly rather spend an extra night or two than pay this price.

Now, having said that I experienced other Luaus over the years and I personally don't like them but I know if you are going to Hawaii most people think they "need" to do this at least once.
Makes for great Instagram posts I guess

Luaus run from $125-$150 elsewhere on Oahu, so $170--given the convenience of the venue--seems reasonable to avoid the travel and time involved.

Best case scenario is getting a room that overlooks the luau area and watching from the balcony with your own, better drink and takeout 😁. Maybe not the best view but I was plenty happy with it and it was a heckuva lot cheaper!
Those are crappy rooms with kids. It gets loud out there, and it's an ugly view during non-luau times.

I do appreciate all who have and will comment. But as alohamom has pointed out for us coming from Canada, it is $1000
with the conversion. We will be doing other activities, so need to weigh out where the money is spent.
Looking at 1 or 2 activities at Kualao Ranch, maybe Climbworks, maybe a catamaran ride. We know that food is expensive, but plan on eating in room for some meals as we have the 1bdrm.
Not trying to do Hawaii cheap, as we know its not, but not going to spend kids 1st year college either.
Thank you all again.

Interestingly enough, unlike other posters in this thread, my family found the show quite lackluster at the Aulani luau compared to others we've experienced over the years but the food was probably the best! Definitely not what we expected from Disney, being the world's preeminent entertainment company and all...

I was torn about the Luau as well. In the end, we wanted to do "all the things" and not miss out. Our daughters have never been to Hawaii, so it will be nice to give them that experience, and I am curious to see how it compares to the Smith Family Luau on Kauai.

For our family of four, Aulani's Luau is $531. For just $100 more, we tried to get priority seating, but it was sold out. I really hope we are not in the far back where our little kids can't see anything for over $500. :(

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter