WOW is it worth it????

When we were there at Aulani in 2019, DVC was offering free luau tickets for any non-DVC people who took a DVC tour. I was the only DVC member in our party. The other 4 in our group took the tour and got 4 free luau tickets at the end. They enjoyed the tour and were thrilled with the free tickets. They treated me to the luau, so we were all happy!

As I recall, that incentive was not well publicized but somehow one person in our party had heard about it. I don't know if DVC still has that incentive (or another attractive incentive for that matter), but maybe it's worth asking about.

I was torn about the Luau as well. In the end, we wanted to do "all the things" and not miss out. Our daughters have never been to Hawaii, so it will be nice to give them that experience, and I am curious to see how it compares to the Smith Family Luau on Kauai.

For our family of four, Aulani's Luau is $531. For just $100 more, we tried to get priority seating, but it was sold out. I really hope we are not in the far back where our little kids can't see anything for over $500. :(
It is not that big of place so priority seating is not a big deal, you do it for the free unlimited drinks. One nice thing about the Disney Luau in comparison to Paradise Cove is the do not jam in too many people. People like to compare luaus on the different islands. Many people say Maui is the best, but from what I have seen the best performers are on Oahu and it is not even close. It will interesting to see what you think

If you primarily want to see hula, a lot of the hula schools put on great shows at local malls/venues with a variety of dances. We enjoyed a lovely show on Maui this summer for free - and had our own picnic goodies to snack on!

There are also some restaurants that have hula dancers. When our girls were little (3 abs 5) we went to House Without a Key and they loved watching the hula dancer - she came around and talked to them at the end and they were amazed. This was pre-covid, but I imagine some places are still doing this, it was really nice.

We also did Paradise Cove and enjoyed it. Close to Aulani, and we really enjoyed the pre-show activities there at the time. The kids were young, not sure which options are best for older kids/teens.

It is not that big of place so priority seating is not a big deal, you do it for the free unlimited drinks. One nice thing about the Disney Luau in comparison to Paradise Cove is the do not jam in too many people. People like to compare luaus on the different islands. Many people say Maui is the best, but from what I have seen the best performers are on Oahu and it is not even close. It will interesting to see what you think
Priority seating and standard seating both get unlimited drinks now. This is a recent change.

Priority seating benefits are early check-in, better seating, and complimentary photo.

We’re opting to skip it. Yes, it’s our first trip to Hawaii. We have to balance out our vacation budget, and I can spend this money on way more activities across the island. Also knowing how picky my eaters are (husband and son), as well as food allergies, I don’t feel like we’re missing out from the food aspect.

We’re opting to skip it. Yes, it’s our first trip to Hawaii. We have to balance out our vacation budget, and I can spend this money on way more activities across the island. Also knowing how picky my eaters are (husband and son), as well as food allergies, I don’t feel like we’re missing out from the food aspect.
Like @travelgirl06 says, just google free hula shows and you can find one—often they are only one or two days a week, so recommend you check just before you travel. I understand the hard-to-feed fam myself and the dancing is really the highlight for me. The show by the Duke statue in Waikiki is really good if you plan to spend a day or evening there, but I wouldn’t drive there just for that. I personally NEED to see that fire knife dance, so we’ll be doing another luau this trip but will likely try yo catch a free show too. Good luck and have a great trip!

Like @travelgirl06 says, just google free hula shows and you can find one—often they are only one or two days a week, so recommend you check just before you travel. I understand the hard-to-feed fam myself and the dancing is really the highlight for me. The show by the Duke statue in Waikiki is really good if you plan to spend a day or evening there, but I wouldn’t drive there just for that.

As of right now the Waikiki Hula show by the Dukes Statue is "temporarily cancelled" and idk about the Keiki Hula at the Ala Moana Mall but I assume the same

As of right now the Waikiki Hula show by the Dukes Statue is "temporarily cancelled" and idk about the Keiki Hula at the Ala Moana Mall but I assume the same

When I was in Waikiki over the December holidays they had free hula shows and performances at the Waikiki Beachwalk stage (in front of Subway) just about every night. Not sure if that’s still the case, but they were very well attended. There were also some performers on the street in the vicinity of the Royal Hawaiian Center. I know that’s a large area, but don’t remember where I saw them— maybe somewhere close to the Cheesecake Factory.

When I was in Waikiki over the December holidays they had free hula shows and performances at the Waikiki Beachwalk stage (in front of Subway) just about every night. Not sure if that’s still the case, but they were very well attended. There were also some performers on the street in the vicinity of the Royal Hawaiian Center. I know that’s a large area, but don’t remember where I saw them— maybe somewhere close to the Cheesecake Factory.

I wonder if the Kuhio area show moved over there for some reason. Good news either way!

We thought the luau was amazing! I was pregnant at the time so couldn’t drink and we still found it totally worth it. They give a lot of food and the entertainment itself was so good! We considered other luaus not at Aulani but they really weren’t much cheaper and the convince of going to one at our resort was worth the slightly higher cost.

Just hearing about Chiefs? any thoughts or comparisons.
The Chief has been around a long time. He tells a lot of jokes and stories and is pretty funny. It is not as high end as far as food and service but good if you have been to other luaus and want to try something different, close to Aulani. Another one to consider is Nutridge. Never been but is much smaller and more like a traditional luau, people seem to like it.

The Chief has been around a long time. He tells a lot of jokes and stories and is pretty funny. It is not as high end as far as food and service but good if you have been to other luaus and want to try something different, close to Aulani. Another one to consider is Nutridge. Never been but is much smaller and more like a traditional luau, people seem to like it.
Not too worried about the food,,,but is the show just as good. Hey its saving $100 for the family,,,or is aulani worth that much more? thanks

I found they all have similar shows, the Chief did have a great fire dance ending. That is what the kids like. The difference is more in food and service

How far in advance do you have to book the luau and where do you book it?

How far in advance do you have to book the luau and where do you book it?

You can book 6 months in advance. I booked today for my trip in July and I booked 2 days because we are unsure of our schedule at this point. They take payment right away, but if you have to cancel, you can cancel up to 72 hours out from the event for a full refund.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter