• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wrightslaw books

tweedlemom

DIS Veteran
Anyone have any of the Wrightslaw books? I think I'm going to get "Special Education Law" tomorrow then ask for "From Emotions to Advocacy" for my birthday. They sound good. I need to start educating mysef on the law. Does anyone like them?

I found it very hard to follow. And, I think the states can change some things up a bit (at least that was what I was told). How they can superceed a federal regulation I don't know.
I called our state advocacy group. In Alabama it is called ADAP (Alabama Disabilities Advocacy Program). Here it is staffed with lawyers and they do free consults over the phone and send out a free book on how to handle certain situtations for our state.

I have special education law (2nd edition) and no child left behind. His works tend to be more referenced based so they are technical and a little dry. They are very helpful, even if you just use them for paperweights in for of you at IEP meeting.

LMC

States try to “superceed”, read avoid portions, of the federal statute but this only works till someone takes them to federal district court. Since the US Supreme Courts ruling in 5/07 which allowed parents to represent their children in Federal district court states have been significantly less likely to try to stick with their regulation which obviously are not compliant with IDEA when challenged.

bookwormde

I have both of those books, and found that I didn't need both. If you are just going to get one, the Special Ed law covers much of what you need to know. "From Emotions to Advocacy" is a bit redundant, and the materials are covered in the other book. But, if you are adept in internet research, you can skip both, and get just as much info from online resources. Also, your local advocacy agency can help you with research, as well. JMO, hope it is helpful...

go to their website and take a class if you can-it is expensive and it runs a couple of days-well worth the info- you won't remember it all but you will notice when the iep goals are not measurable, vague, or something doesn't feel "right".

they walk you through the whole book, very interesting, it is dry some of the time- brush up on the bell curve! Our area agency paid for me to go-helped ALOT!

i found a great advocate in the meantime- expensive but worth their weight in gold!
We are going through out of district placement right now- I PUT HIM IN THE SCHOOL I THOUGHT WAS APPROPRIATE.

within 90 days we file a due process hearing-you can read my other posts-anyone ever rejected an iep?

I would love some more input.

currently the new school is beyond expectations- we have a consult with children's hospital in boston next week- the speech therapist is coming to it!!!!!!!!!!!from rochester NH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

they are so committed to the kids-they all collaborate daily, weekly,
the ot had a cooking session with him, the pt took him kayaking, he also uses a mt4 as he doesn't really say anything intelligible- but he has a LOT to say.

i won't even tell you the cost:scared:

it is the way things should be- what can we do for this child to be independent later in life- and not just to shred paper-or sweep-or fold stuff in the back room-isolated, or someone telling him-ok now do this.......

he will be able to work in a video store(his favorite place) out being sociable with customers-sorting movies- finding movies for people-

or an office- alphabetizing, greeting, a gym- he's a little chunker!!

sorry this is long-- take the course- the books are included in the fee.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter