Wristbands at Disney

Jess Lopez

Earning My Ears
Hi I'm going to Disney World with my daughter age 11 years old. I've purchased anti lost wrist links with keylock. Because the parks are busy if I force her to wear it on her wrist and lock it will she be able to slide it off is I'm worried about?
I'm just wondering if you had any experience with your children is it easy for them to escape by sliding them off their wrist even though the buckle is locked?

Jess

I have no idea what sort of bracelet you're talking about so I have not experience with that. Does it have your phone # on it with your name? Are you worried about it falling off? If your daughter will have a MB, maybe put that on before the MB to keep it from slipping or from her messing with it?

From what I've heard from CM on these boards, they won't call you if your child is lost. They take children to the nearest guests relations and will use work phones/radios that they have a lost child. It's then up to parents to go to guest relations to retrieve. I've heard of parents using bracelets, tags on shoelaces, etc. but the best advice we've seen over the years is to snap a quick pic of your kids the morning of so you have their face and what they're wearing to quickly ID them. We've witnessed parents "losing" a child for very brief periods of time and CMs have been great and children weren't even aware of what had happened. I'm sure that there have been some scary moments for families.

I have no idea what sort of bracelet you're talking about so I have not experience with that. Does it have your phone # on it with your name? Are you worried about it falling off? If your daughter will have a MB, maybe put that on before the MB to keep it from slipping or from her messing with it?

From what I've heard from CM on these boards, they won't call you if your child is lost. They take children to the nearest guests relations and will use work phones/radios that they have a lost child. It's then up to parents to go to guest relations to retrieve. I've heard of parents using bracelets, tags on shoelaces, etc. but the best advice we've seen over the years is to snap a quick pic of your kids the morning of so you have their face and what they're wearing to quickly ID them. We've witnessed parents "losing" a child for very brief periods of time and CMs have been great and children weren't even aware of what had happened. I'm sure that there have been some scary moments for families.
This is the thing I've ordered sorry unable to post the link from amazon because disboard doesn't allow links from amazon so I used YouTube instead. I've ordered this type of bracelet for my daughter she's age 11 years old and worried about if I locked her bracelet because it comes with keylock would she still be able to slide it off.

This is the thing I've ordered sorry unable to post the link from amazon because disboard doesn't allow links from amazon so I used YouTube instead. I've ordered this type of bracelet for my daughter she's age 11 years old and worried about if I locked her bracelet because it comes with keylock would she still be able to slide it off.
Got it, I've not see that before and presume from the video that it can't be removed. Guess you won't know till you get it but I'd test it out and at least with amazon it's easy returns.

I'd definitely test that one out before committing to it, my kids HATE things on their wrists and they're younger than yours. Even keeping magic bands on was hard enough....

I understand you’re concerned for your daughter’s safety, but I feel that is too much for an 11 year old. My daughter is 12 and there is no way she would agree to wear something like that. Is she a typical 11 year old or are there any special needs or circumstances? If not, I would encourage you to go with an AirTag or a card with your contact info she could carry. Also, I tried a similar wrist safety thing with my son as a toddler and he could get it off pretty easily, so we never really used it. I’m not sure if it’s exactly the same or not, but it was a no go for us.

I'd definitely test that one out before committing to it, my kids HATE things on their wrists and they're younger than yours. Even keeping magic bands on was hard enough....
She has worn bracelets before even jewellery bracelets so she's definitely having it on because I'm not losing her in crowds and it will prevent crowd separation.
Did you also know you can get a harness with a safety tether and backpacks with safety tethers they are suitable for younger kids have you tried those before?

Last edited:

She has worn bracelets before even jewellery bracelets so she's definitely having it on because I'm not losing her in crowds and it will prevent crowd separation.
Did you also know you can get a harness with a safety tether and backpacks with safety tethers they are suitable for younger kids have you tried those before?
just watch that someone does not get caught in the leash. I walk with a cane and this did not happen at Disney but child cut if front of me and mom tried to stop him when leash got caught on top of my cane. leash snapped him back hard enough that he fell backwards to the ground as I had to keep cane on ground to keep from being knocked down by leash. I find holding hands safer for all around

just watch that someone does not get caught in the leash. I walk with a cane and this did not happen at Disney but child cut if front of me and mom tried to stop him when leash got caught on top of my cane. leash snapped him back hard enough that he fell backwards to the ground as I had to keep cane on ground to keep from being knocked down by leash. I find holding hands safer for all around
It came today both wristbands are adjustable they can fit anyone. My 2 friends came to visit and they seen me and my daughter trying it out and they want one so I ordered another one for my 2 friends to wear too even the bracelet with the padlock is adjustable.
So there's going to be me and my kid wearing it together and the other leash is for my 2 friends to wear.

I don't consider that a "wristband" but more of a leash -- like for a toddler. You may find that it's more annoying than helpful. As PP mentions, you really cannot stretch it out because the parks are too crowded and people will get tangled in it. The 2 people will constantly need to be next to each other: unable to go to the restroom without removing it, unable to pop into a store quickly, unable to stand next to someone else in the party or split for a ride. Actually, I'm not sure if they'll allow you to wear it during a ride; maybe some maybe not others. Honestly, at 11 years old if you can't trust your DD to stay with you then WDW may not be the most appropriate vacation destination for your family at this time. Just my 2 cents.

I understand you’re concerned for your daughter’s safety, but I feel that is too much for an 11 year old. My daughter is 12 and there is no way she would agree to wear something like that. Is she a typical 11 year old or are there any special needs or circumstances? If not, I would encourage you to go with an AirTag or a card with your contact info she could carry. Also, I tried a similar wrist safety thing with my son as a toddler and he could get it off pretty easily, so we never really used it. I’m not sure if it’s exactly the same or not, but it was a no go for us.

I agree. That's a lot/overkill for an 11 year old (unless there is a special need situation). We've taken each of our kids to Disney when they were as young as 4 years old and never used any kind of tethering system with them while we were there. I did use the tether backpack and a similar wrist tether to the one posted in crowded areas when our kids were toddlers and didn't want to stay in a stroller anymore but never at Disney since they were out of the "running" stage by the time we took them to Disney. Our one son could get out of the wrist one pretty easily (it was supposed to be "escape proof"), but it did slow him down and I usually noticed him working to get it off. By age 4, they were old enough to understand they needed to hold a hand in a crowd and *if* they got separated at Disney, they had some type of tag on their shoe or a wristband with our contact info on it and they knew to look for a CM with a name tag to help them. At age 11, any one of my kids would have been humiliated and embarrassed to be tethered to a parent. I've never seen a child that old wearing a tether at Disney. I've seen a few toddlers/preschoolers using a backpack tether at Disney, but never a school-age child. I actually think it would be a PITB to use as it's going to be much easier to get through crowded areas if you're holding hands with the child. Letting them walk a few feet away with that thing on is going to cause issues with other people walking into it. And I wouldn't be surprised if the CMs ask you to take it off every time you go on a ride. I'd guess that at age 11, given the choice to wear the tether or not go to Disney, my kids would choose to not go to Disney (and they *love* Disney World). In several trips with kids under the age of 11, we never became separated at Disney. Seriously, I have more trouble keeping track of my adult "kids" at Disney than I ever did when they were school-age kids. I'm not saying kids never get separated from their parents at Disney, but I'd venture to guess that it *doesn't* happen to the vast majority of guests. I'm thinking that while an 11 year old child might be open to the idea of wearing a tether when talking about it at home, once they get to Disney and see no other kids their age doing it, they're not going to want to do it either. If you're so concerned about getting separated, maybe you should consider waiting until she's older to go to Disney. Or maybe get her a cell phone to keep with her so she can call you if she gets separated.

Last edited:
It came today both wristbands are adjustable they can fit anyone. My 2 friends came to visit and they seen me and my daughter trying it out and they want one so I ordered another one for my 2 friends to wear too even the bracelet with the padlock is adjustable.
So there's going to be me and my kid wearing it together and the other leash is for my 2 friends to wear.
just make sure you keep distance short enough that your daughter or you can not get someone caught. say you cut in front of me walking with my cane and you knock my cane out from under me I am landing on your daughter as I go down. not sure if you will be able to stand while we get up. and I am guessing I out weigh your daughter and my husband would not be able to keep me from falling which would have him on top of pile if he tried to stop me from falling

Are your friends adults?! I just can’t imagine why two adults would want to wear something like that. It would so annoying to be tethered to someone and I wouldn’t think it would be allowed on rides. I’ve been to Disney at the two most crowded times, Christmas and spring break, and never felt like I was going to get separated from my group. And yes, I know kids get lost, but if the adults are paying attention, it’s really very rare.

By 11 (middle school) a typical 11 yo should have no issues with memorizing your cell number, understandng how to find a CM if you do get separated and to stay put once she realizes your separated. I can't imagine either of my dd's wearing a teather at that age never mind two grown adults. My dd's were riding a few things together, without me at 9 and 11, since I never could handle the spinning rides.

By 11 (middle school) a typical 11 yo should have no issues with memorizing your cell number, understandng how to find a CM if you do get separated and to stay put once she realizes your separated. I can't imagine either of my dd's wearing a teather at that age never mind two grown adults. My dd's were riding a few things together, without me at 9 and 11, since I never could handle the spinning rides.
mine were 12 and 9 doing their own thing in theme parks and this was before cell phones. neither of mine would do teather/leash thing at that age.

I see you are new and this is your first posting ... :welcome:

I thought maybe you were talking about an 11 month old, but now it seems like you are saying your adult friends will be leashed to each other too? I think 11 years old is too old for a system built for small children and honestly don't be surprised if your friends are asked to remove the leash between them by CMs.

I am guessing you have never been to Disney World and you are imaging something that it's not, a mere hold of the hands is all you really need in occasional moments. I have a disabled son and he does just fine and if it gets a little tight I just grab his hand for a few minutes.

The usage of the leash system at Disney is pretty rare, usually toddlers with the little backpack with attached short leash. It isn't a place built to handle the stretchy leash system, it's not safe for other guests. I actually saw one once on a smaller child, kid pulled away wrapping it on other guests who were walking along. Kid was thrown to the ground. Totally kid/parent user error. And if you should injure another guest you will be liable.

Just know you won't see any other kids close to your child's age with them on. She will get stared at, other guests will be aggravated and comments might be made. Just be prepared for that if you decide to use it.

Last edited:

We brought a backpack leash for my gremlin 2.5 year old, but never used it. Her being "scared of people" meant she was glued to me the entire time. Honestly my 6.5 year old was more prone to popping out of sight, or channeling the 3 stooges and everytime i looked for her i couldn't find her, because she was on the other side.

Now the people I did lose were my 65 and 64 year old in-laws. 🤦‍♀️

Years ago I witnessed what many have described here - a toddler on one end of the stretchy leash got knocked down/dragged a bit when a person walked between the toddler and parent. It wasn't pretty.

I'm just going to say it. Those are super annoying. I watched a mom checking out at the register, the kid was wearing this long corded thing, and he went over to look at something nearby, while completely blocking the other person who was checking out at the register next to his mom. The guy was then stuck at the register by this kid, didn't realize it, and tripped and almost fell. That cord is so long and is dangerous. Those are absolutely a safety issue for ALL guests and I hope that they get banned.

Disney isn't scary. Do you go to the mall or a local amusement park? If your 11 year old can stay near you at the mall or a local amusement park, you don't need this wrist thing.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter