Wrote a negative Trip Advisor review (Coronado) about my stay, CS told me to stay somewhere else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to point out, this wasn't an email directly to the OP. This was a public post on a travel website. The vendor's response is more likely intended to counter negative reviews for others reading them, not necessarily to placate a disappointed customer who chose to make a negative public review rather than address their concerns directly through the vendor. It would be an inappropriate direct response if emailed from the resort to the OP; however it is intended for general public viewing.
That's even worse, IMO. If I'm an objective third party reading Trip Advisor and I see what are potentially valid complaints from a recent guest - then I would want the response from the hotel to be apologetic and/or explain what they will do differently next time. The response does none of that. I know that Trip Advisor reviews should be taken with a grain of salt in a lot of cases, but I find it easier to overlook the bad reviews when I see the hotel taking them seriously and spending the time to respond to and address them. The response feels like Disney is trying to combat the review by saying they did nothing wrong, rather than taking it as constructive criticism for potential process improvement, which doesn't sit well with me.

I read the review and considering the OP has special needs kids and wanted an adjoining room, I assume mentioned it upon booking, WDW should have tried harder. I might have been frustrated if I kept telling them the room between was empty. I think sometimes it is who you get at the desk but she has special needs kids, that's not cool. Seems like they really didn't try that hard to help the OP. I bet there was a place somewhere with an adjoining room, or that room really was empty, and also that is long to wait for your room. The reply I would say was kinda "cold" also. I do think tho some people don't like Coronado Springs anyway, we do like it when we have gone, but havent been in a number or years bc we now bought a camper and go to FW now.

I read the review and considering the OP has special needs kids and wanted an adjoining room, I assume mentioned it upon booking, WDW should have tried harder. I might have been frustrated if I kept telling them the room between was empty. I think sometimes it is who you get at the desk but she has special needs kids, that's not cool. Seems like they really didn't try that hard to help the OP. I bet there was a place somewhere with an adjoining room, or that room really was empty, and also that is long to wait for your room. The reply I would say was kinda "cold" also. I do think tho some people don't like Coronado Springs anyway, we do like it when we have gone, but havent been in a number or years bc we now bought a camper and go to FW now.

They will NEVER guarantee connecting rooms (what you need to be requesting if you want the door between them). No matter what a CM may say over the phone, they are never guaranteed. REGARDLESS of circumstances. If you cannot accept that they will not guarantee those, you need to look at a family suite or 1BR villa

They will NEVER guarantee connecting rooms (what you need to be requesting if you want the door between them). No matter what a CM may say over the phone, they are never guaranteed. REGARDLESS of circumstances. If you cannot accept that they will not guarantee those, you need to look at a family suite or 1BR villa

I never said or thought Anything about GUARANTEE. Seems like it is very possible they didn't try very hard tho and that was what I was getting from it. We used to get fabulous customer service when we were Starwood members and again NEVER was a GUARANTEE, nor did I expect it, but they did try as best as they could. I would also ask why do you defend so vehemently what may possibly be poor customer service or at least mediocre service. The room was even dirty. I do think she could have handled some things differently like contacted the front desk more but she was a room away from your special needs kids and you are telling her in one of your posts that she is creepy bc she wanted to see if the room in between was open, come on, you can't understand that being frustrated if the room was open? SMH You can sometimes get a feel if a room is open. Maybe they did try hard, but it does seem very possible they did not at all. And I do think their response was at least cool or cold. Maybe not nasty per se but not exactly the best customer service either.

Last edited:
I never said or thought Anything about GUARANTEE. Seems like it is very possible they didn't try very hard tho and that was what I was getting from it. We used to get fabulous customer service when we were Starwood members and again NEVER was a GUARANTEE, nor did I expect it, but they did try as best as they could. I would also ask why do you defend so vehemently what may possibly be poor customer service or at least mediocre service. The room was even dirty. I do think she could have handled some things differently like contacted the front desk more but she was a room away from your special needs kids and you are telling her in one of your posts that she is creepy bc she wanted to see if the room in between was open, come on, you can't understand that being frustrated if the room was open? SMH You can sometimes get a feel if a room is open. Maybe they did try hard, but it does seem very possible they did not at all. And I do think their response was at least cool or cold. Maybe not nasty per se but not exactly the best customer service either.

Maybe because I have worked in the hotel industry and know how people will push the “the customer is always right” angle to the nth degree.

As others have said, there are reasons the room could in fact have been booked or blocked out. The hotels have been extremely busy and there is good reason to believe there were not any other rooms to move them to. They are not going to call up parties already in rooms that connect and say “Sorry. We have to move you because we have a family that has to be together.” Not going to happen.

The bottom line is if you need to have access to your kids (or grandparents) without leaving your room, you need to book a room that will accommodate your entire party. And to say “I know it is not guaranteed, but...” in the review just makes you look whiny.

I’ll
Sorry it was connecting, we needed the two rooms together in order to have my mom help with our kids. And ya I understand you don't always get what you request but I think it was the fact that the room between us was in no way booked. We checked every time we walked by and it was empty and looked ready to go. And I would've rather had CS just tell me it was not in service or anything other than "someones using the room".

If it’s booked, then it’s booked. Maybe it was someone there for a meeting. Maybe it’s someone there with family and they chose to spend most of their time at that room. Maybe they were on the same schedule as you. Maybe one of their family members likes having the blinds open; if I hadn’t closed them, my then husband would have left the curtains open in every Disney hotel we ever stayed at. We had a corner room at POR once, and I swear that man just wanted everyone to stare into our room. He never closed them.

If I'm not mistaken, you aren't actually talking to the front desk when you call, but rather the call center. Maybe go to the desk next time, I find in person works best. And, next time just report the issues to housekeeping, don't clean it yourself!

Yep.
But Disney will never tell you that.

The oddest part to me is the insertion of "Quinns" personal feelings about the tower...who the heck cares what his/her personal preference is - VERY unprofessional

I think it’s nice. Shows that they read the email and are saying “hey I’ve been there and I hear you”.

Lol...ummm while that is true; it's pretty interesting and ignorant of "Quinn" to then explain how they have those preset buttons on the phone for a guests convenience. The Op already did what had been recommended in the email.

Big companies have preset paragraphs for common emails. It’s up to you to leve them in or take them out. I’d bet lots of money that Disney uses those (Amazon called them blurbs). And I’d bet more money that that paragraph is a blurb that was either left in accidentally bc Quinn was trying to connect by personalizing it later on, or because it’s for public view.

she told me that if I paid my balance in full my room was guaranteed regardless if I showed up or not, so when I showed up was irrelevant to them.

Yep. And since rooms agenerally charged for the morning or checkin, pretty much all rooms are prepaid.

my thoughts are in red as to how the response could have been re-worded in a way that may have appeased OP. I say this as someone who used to work in hospitality and customer service, and know a little word-smithing can go a long way

The email was fine for me, so rewording isn’t needed for everyone.

I wrote a review once about a hotel in Greece where they demanded I pay in cash even though they took CC’s I found the entire thing both unprofessional and fishy. Wanted to warn others to have cash on hand when staying there. They decided to argue with me on Trip Advisor. I rarely use that site anymore though, too many fake reviews.

I tried TA reviews back when I started going to Disneyland in 2007ish, and reviews there for Disney hotels are simply never useful IMO. So it’s not just “anymore.” IMO it’s been forever.

I think they replied to your subject of the review that you won't be back.

Exactly.

And it isn’t saying “you aren’t welcome here.” Quinn heard what the OP said and wasn’t going to patronize them by saying anything about them staying there again. The OP doesn’t want to be there; why tell them to come back? That’s the whole point of having a zillion hotels.

Mentioning the buttons on the phone is patronizing and intended to be snark. It adds no other value. It is insulting.

It’s almost certainly a blurb. Preset responses aren’t snark. And although Disney lies about it being the actual “front desk” they’ll never tell you that. That blurb is their official line on how to contact the front desk. And it IS how you contact housekeeping, rather than using a show to hammer something in.

Same applies to the comments about staying elsewhere. It adds no value. It is purely meant to deflect from the deficiencies reported.

I disagree.

You guys can defend the response if you wish, but someone working for my company would get fired for saying something like that in that setting.

Unfortunate. I was a terrific, thooriugh CS rep for a large company I’ve already mentioned, back in the early days when they got reward after reward for good CS. I got physical letters of thanks from people o helped. I was very good. (I was also very slow bc I got the complicated cases and I cared about them lol) And that sort of personalization is exactly what got me kudos. I’d read it, I wasn’t going to patronize them by suggesting they try again, etc. And since we all know that many CMs don’t live in FL and might ever have been to Orlando, it was nice that Quinn had been there.

As an email back to someone I’d have modified the front desk blurb more, but as it was pointed out, this is being read by those silly souls who use trio advisor, so they likely have to leave it in.

It is a little like going to a steak restaurant as a vegetarian and being displeased. They are not equipped to do what you want.

FWIW one of the best and most creative meals w had was at a serious steak place. :)

If the room next to yours had their curtains open the entire time you were there, I’m pretty sure you’d notice it wasn’t occupied.

I don’t look into rooms with curtains open, so I wouldn’t.

"We conveniently have preset buttons on your in-room phone"... that statement is pure, unadulterated snark. It cannot be viewed in any other light.

Disagree.

I would also ask why do you defend so vehemently what may possibly be poor customer service or at least mediocre service.

Because many of us don’t see it as poor CS.

Disney wouldn’t work with you? A few years back when Southwest had a nationwide system outage and flights were grounded, I was at the airport when I found out my flight was canceled and I had no way to get there until a few days later. I had already checked in and paid for my hotel reservation, a dessert party, and the KttK tour. When I called and explained to Disney why I wouldn’t be there, they refunded everything before I could even ask.
I called and told them what was happening and they said I should have purchased the trip protection. I told them it was room-only (we were AP) and they said I should have booked ticketless package so I could get the trip protection (I didn’t know that was a thing until they told me). It was during New Years so not cheap at all. Eventually when we checked in they gave us the money back for the missed days, but until we got there our room was empty.

The email was fine for me, so rewording isn’t needed for everyone.
Never said it was. But the OP clearly took issue with it, so my point was how simple re-phrasing of some of the sentences makes it take a different tone, which likely would have appeased the OP.

I called and told them what was happening and they said I should have purchased the trip protection. I told them it was room-only (we were AP) and they said I should have booked ticketless package so I could get the trip protection (I didn’t know that was a thing until they told me). It was during New Years so not cheap at all. Eventually when we checked in they gave us the money back for the missed days, but until we got there our room was empty.

Wow! I’m glad they ended up refunding you, but sorry they gave you grief about it at first. I’ve almost always booked RO as an AP, too - and even when I have booked packages I’ve never purchased trip protection. I’m not even sure the travel insurance policy Disney uses provides for a refund of missed lodging due to a delayed or canceled flight - only payment of any additional travel costs you incur in the event of a delay. Anyway - I’m finished being :offtopic: now. :upsidedow

Well, there’s no need to look in.

Curtains being left open 24/7 for days at a time pretty much indicates the room is unoccupied.

Just wondering...how do you know they are open 24/7 unless you are stalking the room? If I noticed them ajar out of my peripheral vision as I walked by, I'd simply chalk it up to them being out before me and not back before me. I wouldn't be out in the middle of the night making sure they were open or closed.

Just wondering...how do you know they are open 24/7 unless you are stalking the room? If I noticed them ajar out of my peripheral vision as I walked by, I'd simply chalk it up to them being out before me and not back before me. I wouldn't be out in the middle of the night making sure they were open or closed.
Honestly? I feel like your perception is always going to be that one must stalk the room to notice. Nobody is talking about going out in the middle of the night to check. Lol.

If you spend a lot of time going back and forth to your room, during the day and coming back late from Disney Springs or wherever you happen to be, late at night, you will most likely eventually notice that the curtains in the next door room are always open. It’s really that simple. I mean we are talking about the room next door which you presumably pass to get to the pool, food court, buses, etc....

If you don’t notice that after a week, then maybe you need to be a little bit more aware of your surroundings, because I’d say the creepy people are probably not the people walking by and glancing in, it’s the people lying in bed in the dark staring back out at you. o_O :rotfl:

Honestly? I feel like your perception is always going to be that one must stalk the room to notice. Nobody is talking about going out in the middle of the night to check. Lol.

If you spend a lot of time going back and forth to your room, during the day and coming back late from Disney Springs or wherever you happen to be, late at night, you will most likely eventually notice that the curtains in the next door room are always open. It’s really that simple. I mean we are talking about the room next door which you presumably pass to get to the pool, food court, buses, etc....

If you don’t notice that after a week, then maybe you need to be a little bit more aware of your surroundings, because I’d say the creepy people are probably not the people walking by and glancing in, it’s the people lying in bed in the dark staring back out at you. o_O :rotfl:

As I said, I would likely see it out of my peripheral vision, but I'm not going to be overly invested in looking in enough to tell that it is 100% not occupied - even if it was the exact room I wanted.

But multiple people have said "If the room is empty 24/7" and unless you are constantly watching it 100% of the time, you are not going to know that it was empty 24/7.

But we're clearly never going to agree. So you keep on peering in rooms and I'll keep on living my life being aware through peripheral vision but not obssessed.

As I said, I would likely see it out of my peripheral vision, but I'm not going to be overly invested in looking in enough to tell that it is 100% not occupied - even if it was the exact room I wanted.

But multiple people have said "If the room is empty 24/7" and unless you are constantly watching it 100% of the time, you are not going to know that it was empty 24/7.

But we're clearly never going to agree. So you keep on peering in rooms and I'll keep on living my life being aware through peripheral vision but not obssessed.
I think the point you’re missing, is that you don’t need to peer into the rooms at all to figure out if a room is unoccupied. Curtains being open all the time is generally a telltale sign that the room is unoccupied. Is that a 100% certainty? Of course not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter