WWYD - convenience store mishap

mikehn

DIS Veteran
You stop in a convenience store. Head over to the self service hotdog bar and fix yourself a couple hotdogs. While doing so, one of your hotdogs drops on the floor. You clean the mess up and fix yourself another one. You head over to the cashier and she rings up three hotdogs. Do you pay for that dropped hotdog or beg to differ?

You stop in a convenience store. Head over to the self service hotdog bar and fix yourself a couple hotdogs. While doing so, one of your hotdogs drops on the floor. You clean the mess up and fix yourself another one. You head over to the cashier and she rings up three hotdogs. Do you pay for that dropped hotdog or beg to differ?
Why differ? You dropped it, you bought it.

I'd expect to pay for it.

Depending on how management accounts for inventory the clerk might wind up having a hard time proving they didn't help themselves to a free lunch if they didn't charge the customer. In today's business climate I wouldn't be surprised in the least if a clerk didn't have the authority to waive charging the customer.

I wouldn't pay for it ...it's a cost of operating a self-service area. They understand there will be some loss -in fact, if an employee saw it happen more than likely they would tell you not to worry about it

I’d offer to pay for it, but hope they wouldn’t charge me for it since it was an accident, I cleaned it up and I hadn’t payed for it yet.

I wouldn't pay for it ...it's a cost of operating a self-service area. They understand there will be some loss -in fact, if an employee saw it happen more than likely they would tell you not to worry about it

I agree with both of you. I would take responsibility and offer to pay, however the business shouldn't actually make me. That would leave me with a good impression of the business and likelihood to return, and is better for them in the long run.

I agree with both of you. I would take responsibility and offer to pay, however the business shouldn't actually make me. That would leave me with a good impression of the business and likelihood to return, and is better for them in the long run.
I'm assuming it was an accident of course. If they were making the hot dog for you, they would drop a couple along the way as well. So there really is no net loss to the business....

If you're in a store that sells vases... you pick one up to admire it, and it slips through your fingers as you put it back on the shelf, dropping to the floor and breaking. Should you pay for it?

What's the difference?

If you're in a store that sells vases... you pick one up to admire it, and it slips through your fingers as you put it back on the shelf, dropping to the floor and breaking. Should you pay for it?

What's the difference?
Relative cost?

I agree with most people that say they'd probably expect to pay for it. I certainly wouldn't push the issue, but I would most wouldn't necessarily think to charge you for the dropped one.

Side note: If you knew they'd charge you for the dropped one, would you try to salvage it to eat it? ;)

Relative cost?

I agree with most people that say they'd probably expect to pay for it. I certainly wouldn't push the issue, but I would most wouldn't necessarily think to charge you for the dropped one.

Side note: If you knew they'd charge you for the dropped one, would you try to salvage it to eat it? ;)
5 second rule! Lol.

I think the store has the right to ask you to pay for it. I would hope they wouldn't, but can't argue if they did.

What's the difference?
And what happens when they're putting them on the shelves and drop the same vase ...does it come out of their paycheck? If customers are allowed to "handle" merchandise, most stores expect *some* loss over the course of time.

I’d put down the hot dogs in my hand, walk out, and never return.
Right up there with the folks who eat most of the hot dog on the way to the checkout, have all their cards declined, and have no cash.

Unless there’s a sign that says “you break it you buy it” or “you drop food you pay for it” I’m not paying for it. And I’m not a cheapskate or a thief or a scam artist but some things are just over the top. They probably lost 25 cents, if that, on the hot dog they charge $3 for.

I worked at McDonald’s as a teen. We dropped food all the time. We marked it as a loss. Businesses account for this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter