WWYD- Illegal Movies

I would not want to be a hypocrite in the eyes of my children. I on many occasions taught my children not to ******* Tattling is nothing more then a child telling a parent that another child is breaking a rule. Typically we would say don't tattle when the rule being broken isn't severe. To me these are very similar circumstances. This an adult telling the authorities that another adult is breaking a rule/law. In my eyes the law being broken isn't that severe.

Also, does everyone remember napster? How many of us took advantage of that in its hayday? (My hand is Raised)... So for me the saying "Those in Glass Houses Shouldn't Throw Stones" applies

I am all about picking my battles wisely.

I never used Napster because I was uncomfortable with the idea of not paying. I also didn't allow my DDs to use it. So the level of crime has to be high otherwise it is tattling? So I guess you wouldn't say anything if someone shoplifted because it wasn't a major crime?

The "task force" being used by these companies certainly isn't doing a very effective job at minimizing or eliminating piracy based on what I see daily.

Wow I'd love a listing of what all of you do for a living. And then I'll go and steal whatever it is you make and see how you feel. I worked my behind off on Inside Out.

Again, theft is theft. A poster here was totally wrong in saying that the actors and others were paid for their work. Yes, they were. But what about the rest of us? Some of us can be laid off if a good movie doesn't do well at the box office. For each person that saw this movie, that's $x dollars out of the studio's pocket. Piracy is no laughing matter in my industry. More and more movies are being stolen such that we have task forces now. Where did you say you lived, OP?

Oh, and screeners? Yeah, not for public viewing unless you have written permission.

Are you a nurse? What if I refused to pay my hospital bill? Do you make sprockets, hey some just fell off a truck, here's a handful for free. Hey, why don't I just get a siphon and steal your gas straight from your car? You won't miss a gallon or two, will you?

Unbelievable.

For many of us, this isn't a hill we're willing to die on. That's how I feel. I understand what you're saying and don't pirate stuff myself, but I have no interest in inserting myself into my neighbors, or anyone's, life to that degree over what I percieve to be a minor offense. Additionally, we have no way if verifying this person's intent and while the law is black and white, my perceptions aren't. One possibly pirated movie? I can't get worked up about that and I don't think I should.

If you ask, there are plenty of people who won't return to a store to pay for an item they weren't charged for. There's lots of justification as to why they don't/won't. It's not something Id ever do, but if you tell me, once, you ended up with an item from a store that you didn't pay for and that you don't intend to pay for it, I'm not calling the cops even though what happened was theft. If you do this a lot, we won't be friends anymore, but I still won't call the police about it.[/QUOTE]

I never used Napster because I was uncomfortable with the idea of not paying. I also didn't allow my DDs to use it. So the level of crime has to be high otherwise it is tattling? So I guess you wouldn't say anything if someone shoplifted because it wasn't a major crime?

That is correct I would not say anything if I witnessed someone shoplifting. If the store asked if I witnessed it then I would comply. But I am not getting involved if I don't have to..

Another example is if I see a vehicle parked in a handicapped spot and does not have a plate or placard I am not getting involved and reporting the vehicle.

My thought is ignorance is bliss.

That is correct I would not say anything if I witnessed someone shoplifting. If the store asked if I witnessed it then I would comply. But I am not getting involved if I don't have to..

Another example is if I see a vehicle parked in a handicapped spot and does not have a plate or placard I am not getting involved and reporting the vehicle.

My thought is ignorance is bliss.

So what exactly does the crime need to be before you "get involved"? Does the next door neighbor have to be a murderer?

I get that movies are not a black and white issue, but shoplifting is, and no the stores DON'T have insurance to cover the loss by theft. And I get that we all do stupid and illegal things things as teens and young adults I certainly did a little underage drinking drinking in my day and other stuff. But I'm a grown up now, and reporting crimes such as shoplifting actually makes the world an easier place to live in because we are TAKING CARE OF EACH OTHER. That's what we're supposed to do right? Take care of each other!

I get that movies are not a black and white issue, but shoplifting is, and no the stores DON'T have insurance to cover the loss by theft.

Are you sure about this, I used to work for a major retailer, and in the very least, I know that shoplifting was an expected expense and was counted for in some way. I'm not saying that this makes it okay, but they definitely knew it was happening. In fact, they would let the same person steal multiple things before finally approaching them.

So what exactly does the crime need to be before you "get involved"? Does the next door neighbor have to be a murderer?

I get that movies are not a black and white issue, but shoplifting is, and no the stores DON'T have insurance to cover the loss by theft. And I get that we all do stupid and illegal things things as teens and young adults I certainly did a little underage drinking drinking in my day and other stuff. But I'm a grown up now, and reporting crimes such as shoplifting actually makes the world an easier place to live in because we are TAKING CARE OF EACH OTHER. That's what we're supposed to do right? Take care of each other!

Its called "shrinkage" and its not just what happens in cold water. Stores absolutely factor this into their prices.

Are you sure about this, I used to work for a major retailer, and in the very least, I know that shoplifting was an expected expense and was counted for in some way. I'm not saying that this makes it okay, but they definitely knew it was happening. In fact, they would let the same person steal multiple things before finally approaching them.
When I worked retail in the mall we weren't allowed to approach anyone shoplifting.

When I worked retail in the mall we weren't allowed to approach anyone shoplifting.

Yeah, only Loss Prevention was allowed to approach the individual. As bad as it sounds though, I still wouldn't say anything now if I saw someone shoplifting. It's not my problem. That person will eventually get caught, but I don't know them. What if they see me tattle, now I'm on their hit list.

I don't pirate movies, but I could honestly care less if other people do it.

er.... I HAVE "streamed" an occasional TV episode, however. It's not my fault that my father deleted it off the DVR ;)

Someone downloaded a pirated season of a tv show using our IP address and shared it. It did not come from inside the house, it was early morning hours, and within 3 hours of that I had an email from the provider with the details. Also, it was clear what would happen if it continued. We beefed up our security and did not have any further problems.

Anyway, I would not go, and I would tell my kids why! That's my job; sharing my beliefs and the reason why. I would not turn anyone in. Things like this tend to take care of themselves.

Just because everyone is doing it does not fly with me. There is right and wrong and piracy is wrong. I do not support it. I teach my kids not to support it.

Murderer I would get involved, neighbor running a drug lab I would get involved, unattended package in a public area, I would get involved.

We all have our perception of what is worth getting involved in.

I've always read that the companies don't go after the person who downloaded the movie (music, whatever) but after the person who shared it for others to download. So, in that area I'd think they wouldn't get into much trouble. However, having a public viewing (and sending out these party invites) is very much different. You can't even show the movie from your dvd in public. You have to have paid a fee for that type of license. I think that puts this in a very different category than JUST bootlegging.

There's a corner store in my neighborhood that sells bootleg movies under the counter and does a booming business. The owner has told my DH that the local cops know and are keeping it quiet and he implied that they even buy from him. He was investigated recently while DH was in the store. He gave DH a "shhh" gesture, but told him later that the cops were only looking for drug paraphernalia (which he also carries :scared:) and didn't care about the movies. Obviously the store is sketchy and I avoid it, but it doesn't appear that local law enforcement is the least bit interested.

As for the original question, I'm not sure if I would attend or not but I personally wouldn't report them. I'd rather be on civil terms with my neighbors than monitor their relatively harmless activities.

I've always read that the companies don't go after the person who downloaded the movie (music, whatever) but after the person who shared it for others to download. So, in that area I'd think they wouldn't get into much trouble. However, having a public viewing (and sending out these party invites) is very much different. You can't even show the movie from your dvd in public. You have to have paid a fee for that type of license. I think that puts this in a very different category than JUST bootlegging.
That's correct they go for the source. Similar to drugs, go for the dealers more than the users.

I wouldn't watch the movie with the neighbors, but I wouldn't turn them in either.

I know someone who gets bootleg copies of movies, and while I think it's wrong I wouldn't turn them in for it.

Our new neighbors moved in over the winter. Their backyard faces ours. Earlier in the spring we met them when we were out playing with the kids and they mentioned that they wanted to host neighborhood movie nights in the summer. Apparently they had a projector a really cool outdoor screen. Sure enough, a few weeks ago, we got a flyer in our mailbox about the Saturday night movies.

DS9 has wanted to stop by but we are insanely busy with his swim schedule and baseball schedule and other commitments that we haven't been home for any of them yet. We have come home and seen their set up as the movie is finishing up and it is nice. So Friday we noticed they had their stuff out (we were forecasted to get a ton of rain on Saturday) and I told DS he could go over. Anyway, I glanced out and saw they had started their movie it was packed and then I saw it was Inside Out. At first I thought it was just a preview and then realized it was the actual movie. I told him he wasn't allowed to go over and then we got into a whole discussion about bootlegging movies and why it is wrong, etc. Of course we were the "bad" parents then since it looked like most of the other neighbor kids were over there.

My husband wanted to report them to the cops since it was just out there in the open. I didn't want to do that, but I am very uncomfortable now with what to say when they ask us why we don't come over. They can easily see when we are home. We actually ended up going to see the movie in the theater last night since DS kept asking then. So, WWYD in this situation?

We pay a fee to "rent" first-run movies in our home theater. It's about $600, not illegal and much easier than the local place.

That's correct they go for the source. Similar to drugs, go for the dealers more than the users.

Not true..

I used a download site and downloaded a 'screener' copy of a movie. Every few minutes across the bottom of the screen a message would pop up saying, not for private viewing, only for members of the Academy..or something like that. I thought nothing of it.

A few weeks later I got a nasty email from Columbia Pictures saying that I had stolen their property and they had contacted my internet provider to disconnect my services. Sure enough, I got an email from my service provider saying that I had broken some part of the service agreement and that my service was being terminated. Luckily I was able to go with another provider and nothing further happened.

They definitely DO go after the little guy.

Not true..

I used a download site and downloaded a 'screener' copy of a movie. Every few minutes across the bottom of the screen a message would pop up saying, not for private viewing, only for members of the Academy..or something like that. I thought nothing of it.

A few weeks later I got a nasty email from Columbia Pictures saying that I had stolen their property and they had contacted my internet provider to disconnect my services. Sure enough, I got an email from my service provider saying that I had broken some part of the service agreement and that my service was being terminated. Luckily I was able to go with another provider and nothing further happened.

They definitely DO go after the little guy.

Agreed. The MPAA has made it very clear they will bring the full force of their organization down on you.

The RIAA said they would begin to focus their efforts on distributors, after getting some very bad press for going after end users -- but I have not heard any similar claims from the movie industry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter