WWYD - Neighbor's Fence/Kids in our Yard (super irritated)

To be fair, I am genuinely concerned that if they continue to try to open the gate it will fall and hurt them. Me approaching them today was simply to tell them to not be back there/opening the gate because it was dangerous. Certainly not untrue.

Them getting hurt on my property would open a whole new can of worms.
I'd understand I'd just would have waited and talked to their parents first.

A few things:
Build your own fence
lock the gate
Inform the adults (the most important thing) and kids you do not want anyone on your property and if it doesn't stop you'll have the police ask them to stop.

About talking to the parents...I tend to err on the side of caution there. I just keeping seeing the videos of parents acting so much worse than children when someone dares to disagree with coaching/ref calls/etc.
If you want to talk to the parents, I would advise just saying that the fence was always there, and you're putting it back up. (Your discretion about a survey or not, if it's been up more than 8 years, you've probably lost that land)

If the kids are running amok, they're parents haven't taught them to respect other people and their property.

:rotfl2:

Honestly, though, just shelling out the money and making my husband learn how to install a fence does seem to be the only solution. So unfortunate.
It's the best solution, however is there some reason you can't have them trespassed off the property by your local PD? Obviously this is the last option but I bet it would stop quickly after that happens once.

It's the best solution, however is there some reason you can't have them trespassed off the property by your local PD? Obviously this is the last option but I bet it would stop quickly after that happens once.
I'm sure it would stop things quickly. This has only been going on for a few days - I'm admittedly probably overreacting. I just don't want this to stay a habit. We have no school till Monday because of Hurricane Irma and I'm hoping that when they go back to school, this stops. BUT, I don't want to let it become a thing. I'm 31 weeks pregnant and do not want them in my yard when we have a child (his room is right by the gate they broke). Or now. They're irritating.

Their parents are jerks as it is and I don't want beef with them. During hurricane prep, they sent a worker over and told him to collect our ladder. He said "the lady told me I could use your ladder." I was like "What lady?!" Apparently the owner said to the worker "go borrow their ladder." Like ***.

Hoping to install a new gate with a lock this weekend then see what happens. From there, fence, I guess. If I was more confrontational, I should just call the cops but I am trying to be as calm as possible. :laughing:

There is another thread on fences here, so I have learned there are vast differences in laws, codes, and practices.
Here, if that fence is on the property line, it belongs to both you and your neighbor, and you are both responsible for half the cost of fixing.
And the CCRs in most subdivisions here require a fence between homes....the first installed by the builder.
So, why not approach your neighbor about splitting the cost of a replacement fence? And you might check your CCRs or local ordinances to see if you are required to have the fence.

Last October the neighbor's fence fell. It divides our backyards. I am 1000% positive it is not our fence as I've checked our property documents.

It sat in between our yards until this past week when the hurricane came and the neighbor asked my husband to help her move it because her husband was out of town. Fine, no prob - we want it gone, too!

Now, their children are CONSTANTLY playing in our side yard and have opened our side gate so frequently that it has broken off the hinges. It needed replaced anyways but SERIOUSLY?! I just went over to see their parents - no answer. The 4 kids came by and said only their auntie was home. I told them they needed to stop playing in our yard because the gate was dangerous and off hinges now. They said "when it's fixed, can we keep playing back there?"

HOA says they cannot make anyone put up a fence - I get it. My plan is to go over to see their parents tonight to tell them that the kids need to stay out of our side yard because the gate is broken and we don't want anyone hurt - not accusing anyone of anything.

But I have HAD it. I do not want these kids in my yard. I cannot see a solution around this aside from buying and installing our own fence. Anyone else? Anything else we can do that costs less but will work? Based on the interactions I've had with these neighbors, they aren't going to install their own fence nor are they going to enforce their children not playing in our backyard if it's wide open to them...

After being asked if they could play back there when we got the gate fixed, I said they need to stay in their yard.

They are very young and while I was not sugar coating, I'm still not convinced this registered with them.

Put up a fence, lock the gate. Not a hard thing to doo_Oo_O

It's not an excuse, but why do the kids like playing in your yard and not theirs? Also, if you don't have a fence currently, how do you have a side gate?

The gate needs to be repaired.

The kids shouldn't be in your yard, but I'm not understanding some things.

It's not an excuse, but why do the kids like playing in your yard and not theirs? Also, if you don't have a fence currently, how do you have a side gate?

The gate needs to be repaired.

The kids shouldn't be in your yard, but I'm not understanding some things.
Yeah, I can't visualize this either---why are kids going through a gate at all if there is no barrier between the yards?

Part of being a home owner is sucking up expenses for safety and peace of mind like a new fence.

I'm sure when your child is able to play in the yard, you'll want a good fence for his safety.

We've put in 2 and need to replace our current one as our kids have knocked boards loose playing soccer. They're almost grown and gone, so we'll get the fence when they are done playing soccer in the yard. Right now we or the neighbors don't have small children or pets who need the boundaries of a fence.

I'm still chafed about having to buy a new brick mailbox after a drunk driver got away with busting up our last one.

When you put up the fence, make sure the "bad side" faces the neighbors. ;)

Once again, be sure to check your local zoning laws. In some states, cities, towns, etc. ,the GOOD side of the fence must face the neighbors yard. Learned that lesson the hard way

So we have someone suggesting calling the police. I wonder how long before someone suggests therapy for someone. :rolleyes:

OP, start making plans for your fence. In the meantime, go over when the parents are home and let them know you don't want the kids playing in your yard. Don't hide behind the broken gate issue. Own the fact that you don't want them in your yard. Be clear.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter