• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WWYD? Rides

monorailsilver

DIS Veteran
My sister and her 2 dd's are coming to Disney with us in the summer. It is me, dh & my 3 kids.

My sister emails me last night & saying thanks to my niece we can get a card from guest services & not have it wait in line.

My first thought was cool but in a split second, I said no that is cheating the system & the guilt sets in.

My niece has Pallister Killian mosaic syndrome. She is 21 but she sometimes acts like she is 10 or younger. She drives, although it scares me because her attention span isn't always there, she eats regular food, talks, walks, etc... She has similar characteristics as DS but she doesn't have it. She was just much slower in development & goes to special schools.

So I have guilt in the thought that my sister would even think to get the "go to the head of the line" card knowing my niece can handle a line. Heck she will be on her iphone facebooking/texting/instagraming pictures to her friends while in line.

The guilt I have is that there are other people more deserving to get that pass. Yes she is allowed to have it but no I don't want to use it. I actually like standing in lines & will avoid some rides if the lines are way to long but just watching the 'ships' wondering which one I will be on for Peter Pan as they go by, well I enjoy that.

So basically tell me that it is OK to NOT use that pass. I have guilt in knowing that other families need it more then us. I feel like it is line cutting for me if I use it. I thought about telling my sister to use it & my dh & I and our kids will wait in line. I am sure she is going to be annoyed that I won't use it.

Am I weird or what? I guess others would jump at the chance to use that pass but knowing my whole family is capable of standing in a line with out any difficulties just gives me the guilt.

I hope this came out right. I don't mean to offend/upset anyone.

The card is NOT a front of line pass and it is reserved for people who require special accomodations in order to be able to vacation at WDW. It is for people who have specific needs that need to be met and that preclude them from being able to do things the way it is setup.

I know how you feel...Have a ds with borderline asperger's and have been told to get a GAC by a family member. We have never used one. If we really needed one, I'd get it no problem. Does ds have trouble with lines? Of course, but no more so than an average kid (with some additional considerations - like making sure we have a snack and drink in line and letting him know the wait time). In fact, if we give him a smart-phone, ds likely could wait in line longer than average kids - since his obsession with mario kart could keep him distracted for hours.

I have no idea if your niece needs special accomodations or not...but if not then you're right - no GAC needed.

The pass wouldn't cover your entire party either way. It covers the disabled person and up to 5 other people and while exceptions are made sometimes by individual CMs at attractions, they don't have to be. Since there are enough adults that it wouldn't be a problem to split the group up, it's far less likely that exceptions will be made.

That said, there is no "front of the line" pass. The GAC (which is what your sister is thinking of) is to allow for accommodations for people with invisible disabilities and may provide things like an alternate waiting area, but even says straight on it that it is not meant to shorten wait times. Sometimes the alternate waiting areas (which may look like "skipping" to someone who doesn't know about the other area), will actually mean a longer wait. It also isn't issued based on diagnosis, but based on need. Your sister would have to describe how it would help your niece and your niece would need to be present. Even if your sister lies, she's not going to get what she claims she will.

The only people who get a Front of the Line pass are kids on WISH trips. Everybody else with invisible disabilities can go to guest services for a guest assistance card. While it may shorten the wait for some rides, it'll lengthen the time for others and there isn't always a way to tell how each individual GAc will be handled at each attraction. The point of the GAC is to alert the attraction CMs that a member of your party needs special assistance to experience the attraction. It'll only cover the person the card is issued to and 5 guests. It also can't be used for transportation, dining, and character meets. I'm not going to jump and say no she doesn't need one, because she might; but your sister should br made aware that the GAC isn't what she thinks it is.

Your sister will have to explain needs not a diagnosis. Even with needs, she won't get a front of the line pass because it doesn't exist. If you read the reports from wish children, you will see that sometimes they do not even get that privilege.

For someone with true needs, it can help. But for most people, they will just be surprised that the "handicap" entrances often have a longer wait than others. It depends on how many are waiting and how many people requiring special assistance the ride can safely accommodate. When I went with my large family group, they were usually finished going through the "regular" line before I was. One ride they rode twice to my once! (and still finished before me.)

Thank you all!

I feel so much better & I will let her know as well.

Again, I didn't want to cheat the system because there is really no need for it in my family or for my sister as well.

I know there are others who *really* need the extra TLC & we are not one of them.

Have a Disney kinda day....

I really don't like when people talk about who "deserves" a GAC. GACs have nothing to do with whether or not somebody deserves one or not. They are entirely about who needs one or not. Every single person who goes to WDW deserves to be able to partake of the attractions. Those who would be unable to do so without an accomodation are the people who need the GAC. Using a GAC does not take away other people's ability to partake of the attractions. If she does in fact need a GAC then there's no reason to feel guilty about using one.

Your sister has to think about what will prevent her DD from being able to go into various attractions. Is there anything? If yes, then that's what she'll need to explain to Guest Relations. If no, what does she plan to say to GR? They won't issue a GAC based on a diagnosis. GR won't issue the GAC without an explained need.

As everybody else has said, there is no "go ahead of the line" card.

The GAC will only provide accomodations for up to 6 people (person with the GAC plus 5 others). In order to not go along with them, just point out that your immediate family needs to stay together and you can't all go into the attractions with the GAC. Very simple. The truth is that no CM is going to allow all 9 of you to use the GAC.

I really don't like when people talk about who "deserves" a GAC. GACs have nothing to do with whether or not somebody deserves one or not. They are entirely about who needs one or not. Every single person who goes to WDW deserves to be able to partake of the attractions. Those who would be unable to do so without an accomodation are the people who need the GAC. Using a GAC does not take away other people's ability to partake of the attractions. If she does in fact need a GAC then there's no reason to feel guilty about using one.

I just want to say how beautiful that explanation is. Everything gets complicated when you throw the concept of "deserving" it in there, it starts to feel like a merit contest which misses the entire point.

If she does in fact need a GAC then there's no reason to feel guilty about using one.

This.

If your niece has something similar to Downs Syndrome, she may not have the stamina or strength that is required to do WDW. Just because she can walk and talk, and even drive, doesn't preclude her from having special needs.

Other able bodied family members need to do what accommodates the person with the need or be separated. It wouldn't be a very fun vacation to do all the rides alone, without your family. Don't feel guilty about going with your niece. Disney is trying to help families stick together by allowing six. Other families don't have to split up to ride and yours shouldn't either.

This.

If your niece has something similar to Downs Syndrome, she may not have the stamina or strength that is required to do WDW. Just because she can walk and talk, and even drive, doesn't preclude her from having special needs.

Other able bodied family members need to do what accommodates the person with the need or be separated. It wouldn't be a very fun vacation to do all the rides alone, without your family. Don't feel guilty about going with your niece. Disney is trying to help families stick together by allowing six. Other families don't have to split up to ride and yours shouldn't either.

She has been a few times before but it has been at least 5-10 years since she last went.

She has no problems waiting in any line, heck she can wait in a starbucks line for her iced waste of money drink, she can wait in a Disney line that is more fun!!! Aka more to see.

Personally, I wouldn't use it because no one in my immediate family is in that 'need'/disability. My kid only has a food allergy & I really wish they would make the pizza at Pizza Planet much quicker then they have in the past...but we wait & wait & wait for him to be happy & fed...it is all good.

My niece is a special needs kid but at the same time she isn't. Doesn't make sense..

Anyways I was more asking for me and my family because there is no way I want to abuse the system. I am good with waiting in lines. Don't need dirty looks.

Heck, when my dad was alive he had a handicapped parking thingy for his rear view mirror. Besides being a diabetic, he also had heart issues, kidney issues, etc... So he needed it because he couldn't walk far, well he could but it made his life easier.

One time, I was with him & he was driving & parked in the front spot. I got out, my mom got out & my kids got out of the car. And parked next to us was a dad in a w/c. I felt so guilty because all I felt was that the eyes were on me & I shouldn't be parked there. But it was my dad that needed that spot even though he didn't look it on the outside. So yes I have guilt even though I shouldn't of at that time.

I am a nurse with guilt...I like to make others happy instead of me.

I tend to take it personally when people say other people's children don't need a GAC especially when it's coming from someone who works in the medical field. I have relatives who don't think my child is disabled "enough." If you don't live with that child 24/7, frankly, you don't get to judge. You have no idea what it's like and you have no idea what triggers might set them off. You may think you do, but you don't. If the girl is fine sometimes, and other times acts 10, then she has a real disability and if her mom thinks she should ask for a GAC then she absolutely has that right. You don't have to take advantage of whatever accommodations she may receive but the disabled person and her family have every right to do so and they should never be made to feel guilty about it.

For this one, I'll just put it a bit blunt. No need to go into ANY details, further than YOUR stuff in this. YOU do not feel right. That right there is the biggest thing for you. From there on you can make your decisions, or in this case; use regular line (off which most are mainstreamed anyway). YOUR family, your gut feeling, your decision. No need to go into max. amount of people allowed, what a GAC does or does not mean. After all, that for you is a mute point and not the dilemma or question.

Doesn't feel right for your family? Don't do it. Nobody can force you.

Same other way round really. You can voice your pov to your sister, but what she and her family do is their choice and responsibility. Same goes for you. Sis can voice her pov, but it seems clear that for you there really one way to go.

As far as the statement that someone using a GAC does not influences anybody elses ability to enjoy a show or ride? Not my pov. It can and it does on a daily base for many guests. It's a fact of life when for instance there are relatively very very few accessible seatings in a theatre and demand can easily be much more than that. Me using can result in Mary coming in behind me and being told "sorry, full", because I just took the lost spot. Now obviously when there is a need, there is a need. Facts just are that demand can and does increase supply and accomodating guest A can influence if guest B can be accomodated. Which is why I'm a very big advocate for thinking across the board. Not an unrealistic crawling through wdw out of guilt someone else might have needed that last rental ECV and unrealistically ignore own needs, but also having an eye open for how we can help eachother out by for instance making the transfer when you can to leave non-transfer options to those who can't, take a handicapped parking spot a bit further out when you can navigate the distance but know those few spots further could make or break it for someone else, sit on the second row of benches because it is a doable transfer but now gives Mary a chance to sit first row because she can make a transfer to row 1 but not 2 etc.

Doesn't feel right for your family? Don't do it. Nobody can force you.

Same other way round really. You can voice your pov to your sister, but what she and her family do is their choice and responsibility. Same goes for you. Sis can voice her pov, but it seems clear that for you there really one way to go.

Yep.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you even started this thread if you already knew you didn't want any part of GAC use.

Since there are 8 of you total, you really didn't have the option anyway.

Yep.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you even started this thread if you already knew you didn't want any part of GAC use.

Since there are 8 of you total, you really didn't have the option anyway.

Thanks for keeping me smiling about asking a question and pondering my thoughts on my upcoming Disney trip.

Sorry I ever posted. I will avoid any GAC questions in the future or any positive or negative things I see from others in the park with a visible or not visible disability I will not mention on this board.

I will keep to the food allergy parts of this board.

Thank you to many of you who answered my thoughts or any questions/concerns I had.

I feel totally horrible and I guess that is why I am in the profession I am in because I am concerned and a worrier on doing the right and my main concern was in doing the right thing.

Thank you and sorry at the same time.

Thanks for keeping me smiling about asking a question and pondering my thoughts on my upcoming Disney trip.

Sorry I ever posted. I will avoid any GAC questions in the future or any positive or negative things I see from others in the park with a visible or not visible disability I will not mention on this board.

Thank you to many of you who answered my thoughts or any questions/concerns I had.

I feel totally horrible and I guess that is why I am in the profession I am in because I am concerned and a worrier on doing the right and my main concern was in doing the right thing.

You didn't post anything you shouldn't have. You had a question on how GACs work, and wanted to make sure you weren't abusing it. Perfectly acceptable. It is just a touchy subject to some because of the misrepresentation and abuse of the GAC.

As far as the statement that someone using a GAC does not influences anybody elses ability to enjoy a show or ride? Not my pov. It can and it does on a daily base for many guests. It's a fact of life when for instance there are relatively very very few accessible seatings in a theatre and demand can easily be much more than that. Me using can result in Mary coming in behind me and being told "sorry, full", because I just took the lost spot. Now obviously when there is a need, there is a need. Facts just are that demand can and does increase supply and accomodating guest A can influence if guest B can be accomodated. Which is why I'm a very big advocate for thinking across the board. Not an unrealistic crawling through wdw out of guilt someone else might have needed that last rental ECV and unrealistically ignore own needs, but also having an eye open for how we can help eachother out by for instance making the transfer when you can to leave non-transfer options to those who can't, take a handicapped parking spot a bit further out when you can navigate the distance but know those few spots further could make or break it for someone else, sit on the second row of benches because it is a doable transfer but now gives Mary a chance to sit first row because she can make a transfer to row 1 but not 2 etc.

I guess I don't tend to think about this situation. I'm not saying I shouldn't because it clearly is something that should be considered but if I'm going to be honest, I typically don't. But, in my defense, we're almost never get put in accessible seats. The rare time we have been, the area's been pretty empty right up until the show started. I'll try to keep this in mind if we do ever get put in accessible seats again. I really don't want to put others in a position where they can't get into a show. We've got a lot more options for where we can be seated than somebody with mobility problems.

Clan, you voice what I consider is a most common thing. Whether it being amongst those of us that have certain needs or so called "healthy" people. "We" (as in a general use) tend to not be very aware of how we can greatly impact others with our behaviour. With doing something a certain way or not doing it that way. Normal human behaviour not to have that as a first priority, I think. Esp. in a location like WDW where there is so much to do and see, share with loved ones and where we all come to endulge ourselves and focus on ourselves, own family, own things.

And as said, it's never needed or desired to feel guilty or ignore own needs above needs of others. But it can so make someones day if you can accomodate your (again, general) need in a way that leaves room for the other person to also be accomodated instead of only one of the two being accomodated.

I've seen full acces. seating or better put; mobility aid seating (as in not the marked banks, but marked empty spots for wheelchair or ecv) happen many times at certain shows. Especially FOTL is a place where I've seen folks turned away long before begining. FOTL is the only show I've seen CM's actively approach ECV-users asking if they can transfer because of other guests after being "seated". Another one that comes to mind (and surprises me) is the tiki-room where I've seen guest sent away due to full access. seating.

Another thing can be these handfull of wheelchair/ecv spots in the front row of a show. Benches tend to have more spaces, but front row mobility aid spots rarely are bigger numbers. On my first trip I was seated in the front row at Beauty & the Beast and next to me was a girl that also used a powerchair but also had a visual impairment. For her that front row was the only way to see a little bit of the show. She opened my eyes to this unlucky combination of needs and how little accomodations there are for this. Since then I've always told CM's working certain areas that if the need arises, I'ld gladly move from a front row to last row wheelchair spot. Hasn't happened a lot, but when it did I've always been glad to be able to help out.

Same with for instance the busses. If there are 2 tie down spots left and I'm there waiting and another guest with an ECV and I happen to be the "first", I always offer them to board first and into the easiest spot to get into and out of. Because I know an ECV needs a bit more space to navigate than my powerchair does and I know how many people use ECV's around WDW that do not have that much practice with parrallel parking. Giving that bit more space can be so welcome sometimes and for me getting on second and parking in that tighter spot is no biggie. But it did take that first time doing this to be aware of how I can play my part in accomodating others without needing to give up being accomodated myself. Doing is seeing, something like that???

Oh my goodness.

Sometimes when you pose a question, you get answers you don't want to hear. There are lots of opinions out there in internet land.

Honestly, you lost my sympathies (and maybe some others) when you seemed to make light of your niece's condition and criticize your sister for getting her a GAC.

I'm the first hater in line against people who abuse the GAC. But, your niece having the condition you mentioned (I Googled it,) and having been in special schools all her life, has some very real challenges. I wouldn't be critical of her or her mom for doing what they need to do.

At the same time, please accept my apologies for sounding critical of you for doing what you need to do. I really didn't mean for it to come out as harsh as it sounds when I read it now. :flower3:

monorailsilver said:
One time, I was with him & he was driving & parked in the front spot. I got out, my mom got out & my kids got out of the car. And parked next to us was a dad in a w/c. I felt so guilty because all I felt was that the eyes were on me & I shouldn't be parked there. But it was my dad that needed that spot even though he didn't look it on the outside. So yes I have guilt even though I shouldn't of at that time.
As long as your dad got out of the car, you were fine,0.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter