WWYD: Selling our car - 2001 VW Jetta - Need Advise

I think the car may need the work. Since it has 92K & we hadn't done the 90,000 mile service. But, my question is, if the car does need the work.... what should we do?

I would reduce the price for the brake work as that is a safety issue, BUT the rest is maintaince. The water pump and timing are issues that any car with that mileage would have and you already reduced the price to offset the cost. If they are that puchy about the car, don't sell it to them.

That is fair and balanced. I know that our 99 camery with 100,000 miles needs the same thing. We did the brakes. But, have yet to do the water pump, timeing, etc. The o2 sensor light was on and we paid the $200 to get the part and our son will put it on also.
They want much more then you need to accomadate.
Di

I had a similiar issue a few years ago...my daughter was going to trade her 2001 Cavalier in on a new car....they were going to give her next to nothing because it need some work. We kept the car, put liability insurance on it only, and insured our 20 year old on it. It saved us more on our car insurance in a year than they were going to give us for a trade. Little by little we fixed what was wrong with it and NOW it saves us a ton on GAS!!!!

Also consider that their mechanic is the one stating these items will need to be done - when will they be required, today or in 6 months or a year?

I would look at a price between fair and good value for the year and mileage and options. Excellent value is normally reserved for the "cream of the crop" used cars - those garaged, serviced regularly, with absolutely nothing required to recondition.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter