WWYD? Should I get a DSLR?

Tiger926

DIS Veteran
We bought a bridge camera a little over 3 years ago as an impulse purchase (hubby) - Panasonic FZ-30. It cost $1000.00 plus tax, but we put it on my employee purchase program, and paid it off from my paycheck, interest free. As close to an SLR as you can get with a Leica lens (doesn't come off), manual options, 12x zoom and image stabilization. It has been a great camera and we have taken thousands of beautiful photos at Disney with it!

Last December ('07), I realized I would like a small point and shoot to use with baby as our old Canon was only 2mps, and this Panasonic was heavy and awkward with the baby as the lens does not come off. So, after much research, we settled on the top of the line Nikon Coolpix p5100. It was expensive at $389.00, plus 14% tax and extended warranty for 5 years of $70.00, so it cost us over $525.00 CDN. Much more than I wanted to spend, but again, hubby's emotions took over (are you getting the fact that he's an emotional spender?).

Fast forward to last week, when after 15 months of taking photos (it takes beautiful photos, slow, but gorgeous skin tones), I pressed power on/off and it had a malfunction. The lens would not retract. It made a funny noise and then "Lens Error" came on. After careful examination, we noticed that barrel was tilted. We have never dropped, nor bumped this camera. I am a scrapbooker who treats her cameras like her babies - when we brought it back to store, they were stunned at how pristine condition it was in for being 15 months old, but the store says we must have bumped it as they don't see this problem without a bump and Nikon probably won't fix it. We convinced them to send it in, see this thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2134340

We are still waiting on hearing from Nikon, but we are preparing for the worst. We will never buy another point and shoot again, so we would put the money into a DSLR - what do you think? We shoot the kids all of the time, all holidays and tons of Disney vacations. We are the family photographers in all situations as not many other relatives take photos. We shoot thousands of photos each year.

We are looking at Nikon, Canon, Sony and Olympus (would prefer a camera with SD cards though, so Sony and Olympus aren't really at the top of the list). We really don't want to spend this money right now, as we have spent a good penny on both cameras in just a few years, but if Nikon says they won't pay for repair, we don't want to be left with only one camera (we like to have 2 at all times) and like I said, the Panasonic is heavy and awkward as lens does not come off, but there is nothing wrong with it as it takes great photos and we have 2 batteries, so we are good to go.

WWYD? Would you get a DSLR, wait, or just use the Panasonic? Tiger :confused3

You keep mentioning the Panasonic is heavy and the lens doesn't come off. You do realize a DSLR will be heavier even with the lightest prime lens? If light and portable is what you're after a DSLR is not for you, lol. The lenses come off but most likely you'll be carting around more then one of them to get a nice range. A DSLR is not the end of your camera purchases, it will add to your camera purchases. By your above description it does not sound like DSLR would be for you.

You keep mentioning the Panasonic is heavy and the lens doesn't come off. You do realize a DSLR will be heavier even with the lightest prime lens? If light and portable is what you're after a DSLR is not for you, lol. The lenses come off but most likely you'll be carting around more then one of them to get a nice range. A DSLR is not the end of your camera purchases, it will add to your camera purchases. By your above description it does not sound like DSLR would be for you.

Yes, I know DSLRs are heavy, but my Panasonic lens does not come off, so storage, especially while on vacation is heavy and awkward. I know that the DSLRs are heavy as well, but I figured I could take the lens off, and store it separately in my bag, and my hubby could hold the camera. We are always together, and if we need to separate, that person will take the camera.

Perhaps a DSLR is not for me in terms of the weight, but at this juncture, I see it as my only option as we want to get even more creative with photos, lenses, etc. and this is the only way to do this. The Panasonic has been a great camera for learning some cool tricks!

Thanks for your response, Tiger :)

I thought I would throw my two cents in. I am just a beginner with the DSLR and absolutely love mine. It was a Christmas present. Considering the number of pics you take, I would get one. The weight hasn't really bothered me.

Yes, I know DSLRs are heavy, but my Panasonic lens does not come off, so storage, especially while on vacation is heavy and awkward. I know that the DSLRs are heavy as well, but I figured I could take the lens off, and store it separately in my bag, and my hubby could hold the camera. We are always together, and if we need to separate, that person will take the camera.
I'm not sure I understand. If one takes the lens and the other takes the camera then neither will be able to take pictures.:confused3 Is a DSLR something you would only use occasionally then?

I know that the DSLRs are heavy as well, but I figured I could take the lens off, and store it separately in my bag, and my hubby could hold the camera. We are always together, and if we need to separate, that person will take the camera.

I can only speak for myself, but my DSLR is never without a lens on it. You don't want to have to stop and put the lens on everytime you want to take a picture.

I agree that with as many pictures as you take and the quality you are looking for it sounds like a DSLR is what you need. But it will be much harder to transport than your current bridge camera. Especially when you branch out with multiple lenses.

I love my Canon 30, but what huge pain to pack around. I might as well carry my 503cw. Need to find something with good IQ..still looking.

Jack

I think the answer depends on a couple things.

Are you willing to learn how to use it? Yes, on beginner and intermediate DSLR's you can use it on auto, but you get much better photos when you control the settings (well, after you learn the controls, LOL). You can use it on auto and get good pictures though.

I think as far as weight, it is something you can get used to. Mine doesn't bother me as much anymore.

I wouldn't take off lenses that much because then you have a bigger chance of getting dust and debris inside and on the sensor. You can always get a small lens like the 50mm 1.8. It's cheap, small, and light!

If you are ok with all of that, then YES! I looove mine. It sounds like pictures are a big deal to you, so it would probably be worth the investment.

I had the same worries about carrying around a dSLR as you do. But I bought one anyway. There's no going back. ;)

If you go that route, you're just going to have to take a deep breath and realize it can be a chore to carry (compared to a pns or bridge, even). You need a bag to keep the body and lenses in, and a bunch of other stuff if you want to do your pictures justice. And like a pp said, learn to use it. But once you do, you'll probably figure it's worth it.

I think you are wise to look at ALL of the options out there. Don't rush into the purchase - spend some time researching what they're all about and what will work best for YOU. Hold the ones you like best to see if they feel intuitive and comfortable. Hang out here and read threads about bags and lenses, etc. Realize that the pictures you see are often more about the photographer than the camera, so no matter what you buy, learning to use it to its fullest will get you the best pictures in the long run.

The only other thing I would say would be that, in addition to the dSLRs you mentioned above, throw the Pentax in there, too. Look at all of your options. One thing I can say about Olympus is that it does not take SD cards, just CF and XD. But cards have gotten pretty cheap so that probably shouldn't be the thing that drives you the most. Good luck with your research.

don't want to have to stop and put the lens on everytime you want to take a picture.
Yes.

And I'd just add for the OP that one thing you want to avoid with a dSLR is getting dust on the sensor. Changing lenses exposes the sensor area of the camera to air elements so you probably want to do it as little as possible and very carefully when you do.

I'm not sure I understand. If one takes the lens and the other takes the camera then neither will be able to take pictures.:confused3 Is a DSLR something you would only use occasionally then?

I can only speak for myself, but my DSLR is never without a lens on it. You don't want to have to stop and put the lens on everytime you want to take a picture.

I agree that with as many pictures as you take and the quality you are looking for it sounds like a DSLR is what you need. But it will be much harder to transport than your current bridge camera. Especially when you branch out with multiple lenses.

I was thinking the exact same thing as you both Wenrob and Michele.
OP: a DSLR is great if you want to get even more creative, but it can quite literally be a pain to carry around everything you'll need to get creative - i.e. various lenses, tripod (that's a PITA to carry around at WDW all day long) more often than not I end up renting a locker to store my big bag with various lenses and tripod then make several trips back to swap out lenses and pull out the tripod as needed. That adds up in terms of cost as well.
I would be really concerned if you disliked carrying around a bridge camera because the DSLR and various lens and accessories will weigh a lot more. To be honest, a few months ago I was thinking about buying either a P&S or a Bridge camera to help lighten my load for those times when I don't want to carry around the DSLR. I use a Nikon D90 btw, and since I got it I have had a recurring issue with tendinitis in my right wrist. (It only weighs a little more than my older D80, but that makes a difference to my wrist.) It's not light, especially for petite women.

Thanks so many things to consider - thanks for the info!

1. Weight - I have Osteoporosis (very young age) as well as arthritis in my wrists and fingers (I'm a teacher), so weight is a huge thing for me, not so for my hubby, but I take most of the photos. At home it's ok as I can work with it, but not on vacation. Last time I picked up a DSLR in the store with lens attached, it felt the same weight as my Panasonic, but it probably did weigh more, and this is a very important consideration. Hmmm....?

2. Lenses - That makes total sense about dust getting in the lens - silly, me! Hubby and I are always together, as I mentioned, so in the interest of keeping the camera clean and dustfree, then keeping the lens on is the best idea. This will surely add weight to the camera as you all mentioned. I was thinking more of storage in this regard as our Panasonic is very awkward as lens does not come off, so we have to have a bigger camera bag for it. We were only going to make do with the beginner lens at first, as swapping out lenses with kids would be difficult, as you all mentioned.

Now, I am even more confused...I think from a financial perspective, buying a DSLR makes total sense, especially since we spent so much on our Nikon p & S, so I don't want to throw any more money towards that type of product as the nature of p & s cameras is that they have lots of moving parts in them that can manlfuction, yet as I'm finding out, these parts aren't really covered by warranties (I should wait to hear back from Nikon, but this is based on store).

I am so confused...I will go over this thread with my hubby. Thanks so much - I read a lot on this board, so I want to thank you all for welcoming me with good info to think about!

Tiger

First let me say that I would not give up on Nikon yet. If it is 15 months old and you have an extended warranty, let Nikon tell you no first. I have found their repair service to be very fair and good to work with. A lens barrel error is not uncommon for P&S cameras. And just to let you know, they are not designed to last a long time. The technology is changing so fast that they, like many things today are not built to last. It is believed you will want the newer better brighter.

As an example your nikon is still available and the price has dropped $100 since it was released. Being available is a good sign for you repair wise as well!

Knowing your situation better from your last post, I do not believer a DSLR is what you are looking for. If your Panasonic is heavy to carry a DSLR will drive you crazy. It is one of the great inventions of the day in my opinion, but it is like another child in what you need for it and how you take care of it.

IF your Nikon is not fixable, there are many many great point & shoots out there. Take your time and go to your local camera store, not electronics store, and play. You take enough pictures to know what you want the camera to do.

I think you are approaching your decision in a very systematic and rational way.

Just thought of the Canon G10 as an option for you. I believe it would be classified as a PnS, but it has manual setting options. Although, now I'm remembering your price consideration from your 1st post, I'm not sure. But check it out.

First let me say that I would not give up on Nikon yet. If it is 15 months old and you have an extended warranty, let Nikon tell you no first. I have found their repair service to be very fair and good to work with. A lens barrel error is not uncommon for P&S cameras. And just to let you know, they are not designed to last a long time. The technology is changing so fast that they, like many things today are not built to last. It is believed you will want the newer better brighter.

As an example your nikon is still available and the price has dropped $100 since it was released. Being available is a good sign for you repair wise as well!

Knowing your situation better from your last post, I do not believer a DSLR is what you are looking for. If your Panasonic is heavy to carry a DSLR will drive you crazy. It is one of the great inventions of the day in my opinion, but it is like another child in what you need for it and how you take care of it.

IF your Nikon is not fixable, there are many many great point & shoots out there. Take your time and go to your local camera store, not electronics store, and play. You take enough pictures to know what you want the camera to do.

I think you are approaching your decision in a very systematic and rational way.

Thank you for your post! I am a planner and so I research everything, so I am looking at a DSLR in regards to the money we've already shelled out on cameras - this is of course, if Nikon won't repair our camera. I am hoping for the best as I've heard very good things about Nikon repair from many sources - Internet, camera shop and friends.

The more I think about it, I'm thinking a DSLR would not be a great idea at this time. The kids are still small (my baby is only 20 months old and he's a handful - LOL!) and so having another high maintenance item to take care of - husband is high maintenance enough - might be too much for me. Hubby and I just talked about using our Panasonic as our main camera again. Since we bought the Nikon, I've been using that mostly as it's so small and convenient for me to carry around. We are going to kids' open house at school today, and will bring our Panasonic as it's a phenomenal camera.

I will await Nikon's decision and go from there, but the more I think of it, I'm starting to realize that a DSLR will be in our future at some point, but perhaps not now with small kids to take care of.

Thanks so much for your thoughtful post and to everyone else as well!

Tiger :thumbsup2

Just thought of the Canon G10 as an option for you. I believe it would be classified as a PnS, but it has manual setting options. Although, now I'm remembering your price consideration from your 1st post, I'm not sure. But check it out.

Thanks - we considered the G9 instead of the Nikon that we chose, so thanks for this suggestion. We will definitely look into that one.

I totally understand that P & S cameras are not meant to last at all, but our camera is not old at all and has been treated with the utmost care and attention, yet it malfunctioned anyway.

I'll see what Nikon says, and then we'll go from there. I really like having my Panasonic almost DSLR camera with a P & S as it's a great combination for our young family's needs at this time.

Thanks, Tiger :thumbsup2

Im not sure that you actually need a DSLR. My camera before my Rebel was this one http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/a630.html

I believe it is refered to as a bridge camera. It is small (well alittle bit bigger than a Point and Shoot) but has all the functions (shutter priority, aperture priortiy, manual mode) and takes BEAUTIFUL pictures. My favorite thing is the moveable screen.

Good luck!

I'm not sure this is the place for my question, perhaps I should start my own thread, but since ya'll are talking about dslr's....

I've never had one and think I want one. Like many of you, I literally take thousands, double-digit thousands, of pictures every year, 1600 alone on my last Disney vacation! I've always had a point and click. Right now, I have 2 different brands: Olympus and Kodak. I've been into photography for many years now, but have never been formally trained, as in taken a class, etc, in it.

So....on to my question.....is a dslr for me? I'm a teacher....specifically a technology facilitator at an elementary school, so I'm very tech savvy. I'm very good at tinkering around with something and figuring it out, but I'm afraid with this I might need to take a class to figure out lighting, focus, lenses, etc. And I'm wondering if a dslr is worth the time and effort. And, yes, I'm very aware that it's heavier than a point and click, but that doesn't worry me. I will say that I've been pretty disgusted with point and shoot cameras that are very hit and miss when it comes to a gorgeous picture. I know I could just investigate and perhaps find a better point and shoot with higher mps, perhaps (my Olympus has 7, Kodak has 6).

I'm wondering what other dslr owners think about this.....will I be able to figure it out for myself....how to take beautiful pics with a dslr?

So....on to my question.....is a dslr for me? I'm a teacher....specifically a technology facilitator at an elementary school, so I'm very tech savvy. I'm very good at tinkering around with something and figuring it out, but I'm afraid with this I might need to take a class to figure out lighting, focus, lenses, etc. And I'm wondering if a dslr is worth the time and effort. And, yes, I'm very aware that it's heavier than a point and click, but that doesn't worry me. I will say that I've been pretty disgusted with point and shoot cameras that are very hit and miss when it comes to a gorgeous picture. I know I could just investigate and perhaps find a better point and shoot with higher mps, perhaps (my Olympus has 7, Kodak has 6).

I'm wondering what other dslr owners think about this.....will I be able to figure it out for myself....how to take beautiful pics with a dslr?

Yes. I'm still learning and I think a bunch of us who post on here are still learning. You can read Understanding Exposure by Brian Peterson, The Digital Photography Book 1 & 2 by Scott Kelby. There are many others as well, but most recommend Peterson's book.

TeachLuvsDisney

My answer is yes yes yes.

Unlike the OP, you seem to have the interest and the background and willingness to join us digital junkies. Once you go there you will never go back!

Go to your local camera store and play. Figure out what you want to spend and look at the "kits" that are available. I will lead you to Nikon, others will to Canon, etc. While we all can tell you why ours is better, the bottom line pick one you like the feel of, you feel you understand, and go for it. The kit lens will get you by in the beginning but as you get better at it you will want better glass (lens). Keep in the back of your mind that once you pick a brand you will probably stay with it. Once you decide on the brand, if it is not ours we will be more than glad to tell why you should have picked ours!!! LOL. Seriously pick the one YOU like because you will use it more!

GO FOR IT!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter