WWYD Vegas or Grand Canyon-north rim?

What would you do, Vegas or Grand Canyon?

• Las Vegas

• Grand Canyon

Results are only viewable after voting.

victorandbellasmom

DIS Veteran
What would you do? We're doing a 2 week road trip to visit the grandparents in UT and Disneyland. Since all our family vacations have involved theme parks, I figured we'd stop and spend 1 night & 2 days at the Grand Canyon - north rim on the way from UT to DL. Dh is the only who's ever been and it was when he was 13. The kids (7 and 10) and I have never been there before. Dh refers to it as "a big hole in the ground". So he tossed out the idea of doing Vegas instead. And it seems as if the kids are more excited about doing Vegas than the Grand Canyon. Dh showed them the rides in Circus Circus on the internet and they want to cancel the Grand Canyon now. We spent one night in Vegas 2 summers ago and even though we barely got to do or see anything, we all had a great time. What would you do? Do I put my foot down and sway them towards the idea of the Grand Canyon, or do I just suck it up and start booking Vegas.

I've been to the Grand Canyon, and while I know it's supposed to something you should see in your lifetime, I was bored out of my mind. I couldn't imagine the whining that I would hear from my kids, not to mention my DH. We did Vegas last summer and had a blast and can't wait to go back. So my vote would be Vegas.

We're trying both (whether it's a wise idea or not I cannot say:laughing: )... are flying into LAX @ 11:30 am on a Wednesday

Then picking up a rental SUV, making a quick stop @ Hoover Dam just to gawk;) , proceeding to drive straight to GC South Rim (told it will take 4-5 hours depending on traffic)

we're staying onsite 1 night (view room:woohoo: ) to see sunset/sunrise; quick tour of rim & then driving back to Vegas mid afternoon for 2 nights before catching flight to anaheim...phew!

I've been to the Grand Canyon, and while I know it's supposed to something you should see in your lifetime, I was bored out of my mind. I couldn't imagine the whining that I would hear from my kids, not to mention my DH. We did Vegas last summer and had a blast and can't wait to go back. So my vote would be Vegas.

That's what I'm afraid of, the kids being bored out of their mind. The junior ranger program looks like something my kids would be interested in though. Since this'll just be a side trip, I'm wondering if it would be better when they are a little older and we could devote more time and energy (like river rafting and camping).

We're trying both (whether it's a wise idea or not I cannot say:laughing: )... are flying into LAX @ 11:30 am on a Wednesday

Then picking up a rental SUV, making a quick stop @ Hoover Dam just to gawk;) , proceeding to drive straight to GC South Rim (told it will take 4-5 hours depending on traffic)

we're staying onsite 1 night (view room:woohoo: ) to see sunset/sunrise; quick tour of rim & then driving back to Vegas mid afternoon for 2 nights before catching flight to anaheim...phew!

Will this be your 1st time to the Grand Canyon and will you be traveling with kids? I've been borrowing every book in the library about the Grand Canyon and it's just so beautiful. I know I'll be able to appreciate the park, but are my kids too young to get it?

Originally our plan was to do Utah for 4 days, GC 2 days, Las Vegas 3 days, and DL 3 full days. The kids only knew about Utah & Disneyland. The Grand Canyon and Las Vegas were suppose to be a surprise detour. DH recently decided 3 full days at disney was not enough (our last stay was 8days) and now wants to do 5 full days. So we have to cut out one leg of our trip. Now we just have to figure out which.

Will this be your 1st time to the Grand Canyon and will you be traveling with kids? I've been borrowing every book in the library about the Grand Canyon and it's just so beautiful. I know I'll be able to appreciate the park, but are my kids too young to get it?

Originally our plan was to do Utah for 4 days, GC 2 days, Las Vegas 3 days, and DL 3 full days. The kids only knew about Utah & Disneyland. The Grand Canyon and Las Vegas were suppose to be a surprise detour. DH recently decided 3 full days at disney was not enough (our last stay was 8days) and now wants to do 5 full days. So we have to cut out one leg of our trip. Now we just have to figure out which.

it will be our 1st trip!

always on our bucket list & figured that while a 24 hour period would just scratch the surface, at least we'd get a "feel" for it for a future trip

i haven't found much info out there, most in Fodors Arizona & The Grand Canyon 2008 edition i borrowed from the library. It nicely covered all the highlights & has different touring suggestions for newbies. Brief bits also in the Frommers & Fodors i have of Las Vegas.

I think staying onsite is the way to go (surprisingly some of the rooms are less than $70 a night - the one's a 1/4 mile away from the rim). I was somewhat surprised to find out that where we are staying Thunderbird Lodge...there isn't a wall surrounding the canyon:eek: , supposedly only a few yards from the rim.

check out tripadvisor for some guest photos:thumbsup2 both of accommodations and the GC

xanterra does the rentals in the park for south rim. Can't remember the name that does the north rim (it's on xanterra's site) is less developed has cabins & a small lodge; rooms were booked solid for end of June when i looked. It's supposed to be a hour or so closer to Vegas?

we were in the same dilemma, only less time 8 nights...something had to give; it turned out to be Vegas;) . I figured it would be the easiest for us to return to in the future.:idea:

everyone i talk to says that we won't need 5 days @ DL:confused3 ; i just wanted to take our time and tix weren't that much more expensive.

it will be our 1st trip!

always on our bucket list & figured that while a 24 hour period would just scratch the surface, at least we'd get a "feel" for it for a future trip

i haven't found much info out there, most in Fodors Arizona & The Grand Canyon 2008 edition i borrowed from the library. It nicely covered all the highlights & has different touring suggestions for newbies. Brief bits also in the Frommers & Fodors i have of Las Vegas.

I think staying onsite is the way to go (surprisingly some of the rooms are less than $70 a night - the one's a 1/4 mile away from the rim). I was somewhat surprised to find out that where we are staying Thunderbird Lodge...there isn't a wall surrounding the canyon:eek: , supposedly only a few yards from the rim.

check out tripadvisor for some guest photos:thumbsup2 both of accommodations and the GC

xanterra does the rentals in the park for south rim. Can't remember the name that does the north rim (it's on xanterra's site) is less developed has cabins & a small lodge; rooms were booked solid for end of June when i looked. It's supposed to be a hour or so closer to Vegas?

we were in the same dilemma, only less time 8 nights...something had to give; it turned out to be Vegas;) . I figured it would be the easiest for us to return to in the future.:idea:

everyone i talk to says that we won't need 5 days @ DL:confused3 ; i just wanted to take our time and tix weren't that much more expensive.

The North Rim is actually farther from Las Vegas. If you were coming from Utah, you would turn off near St. George and go southeast into Arizona. To go to Vegas, you would have to go back to St. George and pick up I-15 to Vegas. It would be closer to the North Rim from Utah than the South Rim.

I think what you are thinking of that is one hour closer to Vegas is the West side of the canyon, which is where the glass walkway is.

As far as being close to the Rim, there are areas that have a short wall and some guardrails, especially in the areas of high tourist traffic. There is a walkway/path outside the Thunderbird Lodge that is between the hotel and the edge of the rim.

The North Rim is actually farther from Las Vegas. If you were coming from Utah, you would turn off near St. George and go southeast into Arizona. To go to Vegas, you would have to go back to St. George and pick up I-15 to Vegas. It would be closer to the North Rim from Utah than the South Rim.

I think what you are thinking of that is one hour closer to Vegas is the West side of the canyon, which is where the glass walkway is.

As far as being close to the Rim, there are areas that have a short wall and some guardrails, especially in the areas of high tourist traffic. There is a walkway/path outside the Thunderbird Lodge that is between the hotel and the edge of the rim.

hmmm, i originally did mapquest and it showed the north rim hotel address as the markedly shorter drive from vegas timewise:confused3 almost an hour (of course they've "steered me wrong before";) ); couldn't get a "room at the inn" so we settled on South Rim.

we were going to the the Hulapai walkway, but it was just way too expensive, moreso than an overnight onsite @ GC

so is there some sort of wall/guardrail outside of the Thunderbird lodge?:)
would you consider this area "in the areas of high tourist traffic"? Just hoping we're not cheek to jowl end of Junepopcorn:: lobbying for a gander of the sunset/sunrise.

Yes, Mapquest has steered me wrong at times also :)

Its been a few years since I was at the South Rim but I remember a short wall outside the Bright Angel Lodge. Even with the busy tourist season in summer, you should never be that crowded (the rim trail that goes along in front of the El Tovar, Thunderbird Lodge, Kachina Lodge and Bright Angel Lodge is about a mile long). What I would do is hop on the Hermits Rest free shuttle bus, which makes 6-7 stops along the canyon, find the one that I feel most comfortable at and then come back to that stop to watch the sunset. You will probably be able to just go outside your hotel to watch the sunrise. I don't recall lots of people being up that early (though I'm sure it varies day to day).

Have you downloaded the South Rim Village map available at www.nps.gov? It will show you every where the free shuttle goes and you shouldn't have to drive your car much at all once you are at the Thunderbird. HTH

Yes, Mapquest has steered me wrong at times also :)

Its been a few years since I was at the South Rim but I remember a short wall outside the Bright Angel Lodge. Even with the busy tourist season in summer, you should never be that crowded (the rim trail that goes along in front of the El Tovar, Thunderbird Lodge, Kachina Lodge and Bright Angel Lodge is about a mile long). What I would do is hop on the Hermits Rest free shuttle bus, which makes 6-7 stops along the canyon, find the one that I feel most comfortable at and then come back to that stop to watch the sunset. You will probably be able to just go outside your hotel to watch the sunrise. I don't recall lots of people being up that early (though I'm sure it varies day to day).

Have you downloaded the South Rim Village map available at www.nps.gov? It will show you every where the free shuttle goes and you shouldn't have to drive your car much at all once you are at the Thunderbird. HTH

fantastic info!

Have a great first trip to the Grand Canyon. All of the books I've borrowed from the library are filled with 80% of south rim and only 20% info on north rim. I know the north rim isn't as developed as the south rim, but it is a shorter drive from UT than the south rim. With gas prices expected to be $4 this summer, cutting down our overall miles helps.

We love DL and I think 5 days is perfect. Have a great trip and thanks for all of your help.

Just an FYI about the North Rim Lodging.

It's no longer Xanterra - it's Forever Resorts. http://foreverlodging.com/lodging.cfm?PropertyKey=181

Also, there is no lodging in the "Lodge." The Lodge has dining room, bar, snack bar, front desk and other similar stuff. Lodging is almost all cabins with a couple of motel rooms.

We're already booked at Grand Canyon Lodge -north rim in a western room. The accomodations look a bit rustic but according to tripadvisor the western room are the most "hotel-like".

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter