• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wyndham Bonnet Creek vs DVC Purchase

I have looked through a lot of old threads and even other forums and I feel like I'm missing something. WBC seems significantly cheaper than DVC. Is it just the Disney upcharge and theming or is there some hidden cost to WBC that I'm not finding? I get why people buy DVC as I have been seriously considering a purchase but I was blown away when I started looking at WBC. I can get a contract on resale for WBC that will get me multiple weeks/year for half the price of similar DVC resale contract.
When you do to WDW do you stay onsite or offsite? Booking a Disney hotel makes no sense from a pure financial perspective. Rates are higher and value for money lower than off site counterparts. And yet Disney fills tens of thousands or rooms every day.
If you think there are good reasons to stay onsite, then DVC makes sense, otherwise WBC is a good option.

To me, the fact these can be had so cheap I would find cautionary…. That said, I know people who were Wyndham vacation club owners and really enjoyed it.

My appeal to DVC is the walkability and being in the Disney bubble. I hate driving, and after driving all the way to the parks, I want to walk or maybe hop a monorail to everywhere I go. So for me GF, Poly, BLT, Beach Club, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, and Swolphin are where I will stay.

I looked into Wyndham but ultimately the required dodging of timeshare piranhas gets old and killed off the willingness to stay for me. We've rented a few times at WBC and our local Wyndham (all under rented points for really cheap deals we found online) and it was fine but nothing to write home about. Back to the big gripe. Your first day vacation day, after a long travel day (been up since 4am, hungry cranky family in the car) , you get stuck listening to a spiel you can't get out of just to get your "parking pass". If you've never stayed - its a ploy to send you to the salesmen who are the holders of said pass you supposedly are required to have. You wait in a long line to check in then have to follow up at this secondary desk where you are stuck listening to their spiel. It doesn't bother some people I'm sure but I don't like confrontation or making people feel bad (even slimy sales people) You have to be pretty direct to get away from them. I do realize they are just trying to do their job though so the whole setup puts me off. Never have I ever been accosted by a high pressure DVC salesman on my stays, even when we were on rented points.

Also, for me, the whole environment at Wyndham properties aren't as nice as Disney. It just feels more used, beat up, etc. That being said, I know my sentimental attachment to DVC makes me biased. I took my kids to the arcade closet at OKW and it was embarrassingly bad (but DVC still wins!)
You don’t have to listen to the spiel. A quick “No I’m not doing the timeshare presentation, no, no no, please give me the parking pass, you are wasting your time” will get you out of it in about 90 seconds. Just interrupt them politely. That’s what I do. In my experience the entire process of checking in at Wyndham is about as quick as checking in at a DVC property if you don’t use mobile check in. Obviously mobile check in at DVC is faster.

You don’t have to listen to the spiel. A quick “No I’m not doing the timeshare presentation, no, no no, please give me the parking pass, you are wasting your time” will get you out of it in about 90 seconds. Just interrupt them politely. That’s what I do. In my experience the entire process of checking in at Wyndham is about as quick as checking in at a DVC property if you don’t use mobile check in. Obviously mobile check in at DVC is faster.
That's the thing. I'm so non confrontational that it makes me feel awful to be rude to them like that and I get stuck at the counter forever . I do start out making it clear I'm not interested but they just keep going. We checked into our local beach Worldmark a few weeks ago and was there for well over 15 minutes trying to politely escape. I finally got fed up and "said yeah I'm not doing any of this" and his response was "well no, not tonight but maybe on one of the other days on your trip". It was so annoying!! Everything was met with a rebuttal and he would keep taking.

Fending of a salesperson at the start of a trip is not my idea of fun.

That's the thing. I'm so non confrontational that it makes me feel awful to be rude to them like that and I get stuck at the counter forever . I do start out making it clear I'm not interested but they just keep going. We checked into our local beach Worldmark a few weeks ago and was there for well over 15 minutes trying to politely escape. I finally got fed up and "said yeah I'm not doing any of this" and his response was "well no, not tonight but maybe on one of the other days on your trip". It was so annoying!! Everything was met with a rebuttal and he would keep taking.

Fending of a salesperson at the start of a trip is not my idea of fun.
I’m also not convinced you actually need the parking pass. Someone with more experience might be able to chime in.

I’m also not convinced you actually need the parking pass. Someone with more experience might be able to chime in.
You don't!!
Well at least I don't think you do. At WBC I started sneaking off to use the bathroom and exiting out the side door without getting the pass. My friend was with me and we pre planned our move (but also legitimately needed the bathroom). Wouldn't you know a sales lady came in right behind us.... It could have been coincidence but we took it as she was going to 'remind' us to get the pass of she could get a word in. They were calling our room phone by the time we got up to it! We unplugged it and never got the pass and had no issues because of it the whole trip.
The last check in (locally) was different because they also said I had to get our 'wristbands' and I hadn't done the research before hand to know if I legit needed those. For the record, also no. You don't need them. Lol.

You don't!!
Well at least I don't think you do. At WBC I started sneaking off to use the bathroom and exiting out the side door without getting the pass. My friend was with me and we pre planned our move (but also legitimately needed the bathroom). Wouldn't you know a sales lady came in right behind us.... It could have been coincidence but we took it as she was going to 'remind' us to get the pass of she could get a word in. They were calling our room phone by the time we got up to it! We unplugged it and never got the pass and had no issues because of it the whole trip.
The last check in (locally) was different because they also said I had to get our 'wristbands' and I hadn't done the research before hand to know if I legit needed those. For the record, also no. You don't need them. Lol.
This sounds like torture…. I have no interest in going through that amount of effort to avoid these people… you almost feel bad for them… it must be a real cut throat business to work in…

This sounds like torture…. I have no interest in going through that amount of effort to avoid these people… you almost feel bad for them… it must be a real cut throat business to work in…
They get a bonus for everyone they get to sign up for a timeshare presentation. I think it’s a decent amount too.

The fact that the DVC guides are so not pushy or heavy handed is what made my wife interested in owning. The fact many of them were also owners or had been owners also was a big thing. That and seeing how nice the rooms were at Riviera and Grand Floridian.

We own HGVC and DVC. We have stayed in all of the DVC resorts (in FL and out) and have been to many of the HGVC properties. Overall, I would say DVC has better quality throughout their resort system. Again, there are some outliers. We live 1.5 hrs drive from WDW so we like being Disney bubble as others have said, even though we always have our car. There are certain things I never realized bc we have always stayed at Disney resorts and was giving a friend advice when they were looking at Genie+ and ILL and told them they could pick both at 7am. I was wrong - only guests staying at a Walt Disney World resort hotel are able to purchase and schedule their first ILL at 7am. Offsite hotels have to wait until the park opens. That may not matter much, and that has changed over time, but what I find that when Disney offers something new and exciting it typically gives those first rights to Disney resort guests v. offsite. This may not matter to you at all but just raising that. As for annual fees, we pay them each year for both DVC and HGVC. HGVC is about half of DVC costs for fees but still an annual cost (and hard to compare since they just changed their whole point structure so still haven't figured it out! We've had that one for 20 yrs). As another poster said, I would do a stay at both places you are deciding between and determine what is the best set up for you and then you will have your answer.

Worldmark is hit and miss with how aggressive they are. Anaheim (which is a great property) is light. Seaside (Oregon) or Camlin (Seattle)…. Gets my blood pressure up. Basically acting insulted when I said no and then going in deep with guilt for not wanting to provide something nice for my mom. I’ve thought about just getting a tshirt for check in day for Worldmark that says something like. “No thank you. My answer won’t change.” And point to it and smile. ;).

We had a pleasant but firm no at check in at WBC-and then unplugged our room phone. 60 seconds and done.

Look, I love my DVC-we own at VGC and GCV and have stayed at several other resorts. They have all been great stays. But they aren’t magic. They are still a timeshare. Yes, there is less hassle-and you pay tens of thousands more. Disney does an amazing job of convincing us that they are a different thing full of pixie dust but at the core, they are not. WBC also has pros and cons-the pools are better than many Disney resorts, the location is as close as many, theming is worst, room size as large and room condition l probably in the middle. Try it and see what you think.

As for annual fees, we pay them each year for both DVC and HGVC. HGVC is about half of DVC costs for fees but still an annual cost (and hard to compare since they just changed their whole point structure so still haven't figured it out! We've had that one for 20 yrs).
This is what worries me. It is why I have been afraid to buy into other time share systems, especially Hyatt given their recent purchase by MVC, who I do not trust at all. I found MVC when interacting with them, and also their “Vistana” subsidiary to be extremely shady…

Worldmark is hit and miss with how aggressive they are. Anaheim (which is a great property) is light. Seaside (Oregon) or Camlin (Seattle)…. Gets my blood pressure up. Basically acting insulted when I said no and then going in deep with guilt for not wanting to provide something nice for my mom. I’ve thought about just getting a tshirt for check in day for Worldmark that says something like. “No thank you. My answer won’t change.” And point to it and smile. ;).
Seaside was the one we stayed at a few weeks back! That guy would not let me go and I was so cranky by the time it was done.

I even left a review and said that the way to sell to someone is not to go after a mom who's got hungry kids in the car after a long day and a 2 hour drive in a winter storm. 🤣

You don't!!
I would not like this. DVC is 100% for me after reading this comment (although I’ve been pretty happy with my decision to buy in since before I even did it! Lol)

I would not like this. DVC is 100% for me after reading this comment (although I’ve been pretty happy with my decision to buy in since before I even did it! Lol)
These stories overzealous sales reps who follow you are really the edge cases and not my experience. As I said, a simple, no, no, no thank you interrupting them has worked like a charm for me every time with minimum hassle.

I have looked through a lot of old threads and even other forums and I feel like I'm missing something. WBC seems significantly cheaper than DVC. Is it just the Disney upcharge and theming or is there some hidden cost to WBC that I'm not finding? I get why people buy DVC as I have been seriously considering a purchase but I was blown away when I started looking at WBC. I can get a contract on resale for WBC that will get me multiple weeks/year for half the price of similar DVC resale contract.
In general, timeshare is a product that is sold, not bought. As a consequence, it is usually significantly less expensive on the resale market than when bought from the developer. But, Disney is one of the (few) exceptions to this, because the brand is so well-known and there is a vibrant "community of information" built around it--larger than anything else I can think of. That community does a lot of the "selling" for DVC in the resale market, and it helps a lot.

The ongoing costs are also a bit lower at Bonnet, but that's at least partly because it offers a bit less. A peak-season week in a 2BR at Bonnet (with an ownership there) would run about $1,600 in annual MFs. Compare that to, say, a Standard 2BR at SSR (with an ownership there) in what used to be called Magic Season, which is about $2,100 give or take. Part of that is that SSR offers continuous transportation to all the theme parks, while Bonnet does not.

My Wyndham ownership was put together at "negative cost" (meaning: I got some free usage that more than offset the acquisition costs of the portfolio), and my ongoing costs are among the lowest in the system. But, both are due to happy accidents that I could not replicate if I tried, so the specifics probably aren't that interesting.

The point systems are similar in the big picture, though Wyndham's is geared a bit more towards longer stays, while DVC is very amenable to the one or two night stays here and there. One-night stays in Wyndham aren't really a thing--for a time after Covid they were eliminated, and I'm not sure if they've been brought back or not. Borrowing is more restricted with Wyndham, and the (resale) banking deadline is shorter, but you can bank either to the next year or the year after that. You can do shorter stays with Wyndham, but you might end up paying for some extra housekeeping here and there. Home resort at Wyndham is not particularly important for being able to book at Bonnet Creek (or for most other places); instead the big difference is just cost.

I would also not recommend Wyndham for anything other than personal use, with the infrequent friend or family member being gifted a stay; they've gotten very particular about their "no commercial use" clause. So, if renting to offset costs is an important part of your ownership plan, go with DVC. I happen to think that's not a great idea even with DVC, but most people seem to disagree with me.

In terms of overall vacation experience, I think a stay at Bonnet is more or less comparable to SSR or OKW. In Bonnet's favor: the location is slightly more central, the units are more functional, the pools are better than anything at Disney except arguably SAB (and even then I give the nod to Bonnet), the pool bar is much cheaper, and the pizza is pretty good. In SSR/OKW's favor: the landscaping is better developed, the transportation and parking situation is better, the "Disney bubble" is a thing, and they have onsite benefits (such as they are). Caveat: we always rent a car at any of these three, which makes the transportation issue less important. If you are an I-don't-drive-on-vacation person, then I'd skip Bonnet.

dodging of timeshare piranhas
This is definitely a thing, but it can be easy to get through. I'm happy to play along with all the excitement about the trip (an ingratiation technique they often use) but then pull out "Oh, I never go on sales tours," at the opportune moment. If necessary (for example, if they ask why) I just repeat myself with a slightly sad face, as if there is some tragedy that unfolded once upon a time that would be heartbreaking to even re-tell.

If it helps, this is completely free of conflict. I don't owe this person my time, so not giving it to them is not a problem. I've been perfectly pleasant and non-confrontational, just sadly resolute. In fact, the most recent "concierge" I did this with at Smuggler's Notch last summer was almost sad on my behalf, which I thought was an amusing about face.

I have thought about sliding a folded sheet of paper with a number on it that represents the combined billing rate that my wife and I would charge our "full-rate" clients for a two hour meeting, with: "If you can match that, we'll talk."

[Narrator: "They would not be able to match that."]

That is...less conflict-avoidant, but it could be fun.

Well, remember Bonnet Creek is not on Disney property… if that makes a difference.
This is true. The Bonnet Creek parcel is not part of the Reedy Creek Improvement District. But, it's awfully hard to tell that from just looking around, because it is landlocked by RCID on three sides and I-4 on the fourth. Because you don't really appear to "leave the bubble" the impact of "being offsite" is a lot less noticeable. Heck, they even had Stacy's Must Dos on the resort TV back in the day. Yesterland did a nice dive into the history of the parcel--including DVD's rather snarky 3D billboard positioned just so.

https://yesterland.com/bonnet.html

One of my stays there was in an upper floor of one of the buildings that faces in the direction of Epcot, and if I looked out the sliding glass door while I was in the kitchen, Spaceship Earth was staring me in the face. We watched the aerial shots of Illuminations from there most nights--quite impressive!

Last edited:
We own resale Wyndham points and DVC points. I like both ownerships. We recently had to change our Wyndham spring break ocean view rooms at a Destin Florida Wyndham resort. By watching Wyndham’s website I was able to grab a couple of units at Wyndham Bonnet Creek (it is large and inventory fluctuates frequently). I would probably never be able to rebook six weeks out at DVC for two units. But I was able to do it at Wyndham Bonnet Creek.

Also, Wyndham offers us a lot of nice locations without having to trade thru an exchange company. Our favorites are Wyndham Great Smokies Lodge in Gatlinburg, Wyndham Waikiki Beachwalk in Hawai, Wyndham Beach Street Cottages and Wyndham Majestic Sun n Destin, Wyndham Panama City, and of course Wyndham Bonnet Creek. It is a good system.

Last edited:
We have both. We love Bonnet Creek and it’s a great back-up to DVC but there’s a definite difference to staying “on” vs “off” property.

But where it comes in handy is if we are bringing a large party we can overflow family there. Or. The family that knows we have timeshares and ask to use them lots, we can put them into WBC and save our DVC points.

I would - and have - bought both direct and resale DVC depending on the situation and what I wanted. Never buy Wyndham direct. Wyndham is only a good value if somebody else is paying the upfront costs.

And I never go to the seminars and only really had to get rude once and that was at Cypress Palms.

Wyndham also has international resort near Universal.

And what we REALLY like about Wyndham is driving from Texas and using points to break the trip up with a side trip to Destin.

We have both. We love Bonnet Creek and it’s a great back-up to DVC but there’s a definite difference to staying “on” vs “off” property.

But where it comes in handy is if we are bringing a large party we can overflow family there. Or. The family that knows we have timeshares and ask to use them lots, we can put them into WBC and save our DVC points.

I would - and have - bought both direct and resale DVC depending on the situation and what I wanted. Never buy Wyndham direct. Wyndham is only a good value if somebody else is paying the upfront costs.

And I never go to the seminars and only really had to get rude once and that was at Cypress Palms.

Wyndham also has international resort near Universal.

And what we REALLY like about Wyndham is driving from Texas and using points to break the trip up with a side trip to Destin.
Addonitis is also an easier itch to scratch when you can buy an additional contract for a few hundred dollars on ebay...

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter