x

When I worked I worked in restaurants. There have always been cameras in them. It never bothered me. Though I will say that it is VERY boring watching the film the next day.

I think what would bother me is that the only place they have them is the bathroom. I can't believe nobody has a problem with that. Women might change in their or tuck in panty hose, etc... If there is a problem with theft that involves bathrooms or employees taking too long in the bathroom then at least let people know this area will be monitored or maybe put the cameras outside the bathroom. If you have an employee you think is abusing bathroom privileges maybe just deal with them. It does feel intrusive.

I think what would bother me is that the only place they have them is the bathroom. I can't believe nobody has a problem with that. Women might change in their or tuck in panty hose, etc... If there is a problem with theft that involves bathrooms or employees taking too long in the bathroom then at least let people know this area will be monitored or maybe put the cameras outside the bathroom. If you have an employee you think is abusing bathroom privileges maybe just deal with them. It does feel intrusive.

Who has cameras in the bathroom?

:lmao: :thumbsup2
There is a very limited expectation of privacy in the workplace (except in the bathroom). If you need privacy, go out to your car.

Even if the employer told you about the cameras, im thinking you'd still be creeped out about it. If you really arent that comfortable with it, all you can do is do your best to look for another job. Until that happens, you'll just have to deal with it. Youre not stealing or doing something wrong are you? I assume no. In that case, since you cant really change things at work, just take comfort in knowing that theyre trying to keep you safe.

At my last job we installed cameras and followed the law by posting a sign at each entrance saying the cameras were there.

Employees were still surprised when caught on camera doing something they shouldn't.

Many companies don't watch the video unless there is a problem. Or if they watch it, it is on fast forward.

Did you misread the OP that said the only place they aren't is in the bathroom???:cool1:

I think you also need to rethink your "grammar Nazi" status since you must have meant "there" instead of "their"

and to the OP: I would have a bigger issue with the "no breaks" part of your job then I would with the cameras. In most states it is illegal to work your employees more than 5 hours without providing at least a 15 minute break, or 1/2 hour for 8 hours. I would be calling the department of labor on that one, believe me I spent many days "chained to my desk" having to eat thre etc. due to lack of adequate staffing, but you better believe I was compensated for those times!!! I'll be darned if my employer was docking me 1/2 hr a day for a lunch break that I never go to take!!!

if you work in the state of indiana employers are not require to give you a break at all. I had a problem with this years ago and got paperwork from the state to prove they were required to give you breaks. But when I called recently that law had been changed and employers we're no longer required to give breaks no matter how many hours you worked.

i dont find being on camera bad. Its there to protect the company and you.

I do get annoyed when you get a call on the phone from your boss telling you to act more busy though... :|

i dont find being on camera bad. Its there to protect the company and you.

I do get annoyed when you get a call on the phone from your boss telling you to act more busy though... :|

That would tick me off. Plus, it sounds like the boss isn't busy enough if he's watching the cameras that thoroughly.

No, no breaks away, we have to eat and drink while on the clock, and no lol I am not doing anything"wrong". I just think it would have been ethically the "right thing to do" to inform us prior to the camera placement, or even just afterward.
It is interesting to hear everyone's responses though, seems like most people are ok with it. I don't think I could put up a "spycam" without telling my employees, it just seems wrong to me to do it secretly, that's all.

I think it's wrong and I'm not okay with it, but at the same time it's something I've come to expect.

For most of us we work on private property. If the owner wants cameras they can put them up. Don't like it? Work else where. If you don't do anything wrong than guess you have no reason to worry. I don't really want my boss watching me but its their place and their rules. Security is a big problem at some work places. If you got attacked at work and they had no cameras you would likely be saying they didn't do enough to protect you( I don't mean that to all just the complainers).

No, no breaks away, we have to eat and drink while on the clock, and no lol I am not doing anything"wrong". I just think it would have been ethically the "right thing to do" to inform us prior to the camera placement, or even just afterward.
It is interesting to hear everyone's responses though, seems like most people are ok with it. I don't think I could put up a "spycam" without telling my employees, it just seems wrong to me to do it secretly, that's all.

I agree, totally creepy... I'm fine with it as long as it's disclosed up front, then people have a choice.

For most of us we work on private property. If the owner wants cameras they can put them up. Don't like it? Work else where. If you don't do anything wrong than guess you have no reason to worry. I don't really want my boss watching me but its their place and their rules. Security is a big problem at some work places. If you got attacked at work and they had no cameras you would likely be saying they didn't do enough to protect you( I don't mean that to all just the complainers).

:confused3 Working on private property has nothing to do with it. Different states have different laws on whether/what types of audio and video surveillance is permitted in the workplace. The OP would have to look into the law in her state to determine whether what her employer is doing is legal or not.

I just found out that a place I work part time has been videotaping me and the other employees. I won't name the employer or the job. Lets just say it is a small area , the only place that is not under surveillance is the bathroom.... no breakroom, no private eating area. I feel unsettled that there is no where I can go for a bit of privacy during my work day, also that someone has been "watching me" without my knowledge. How would you react? It would be one thing if I knew it up front, but he nonchalantly said that the system has been installed for 6 months.

That almost sounds like it is all just one room with maybe one camera or something? :confused3
In that case, would you have anywhere you'd have "a bit of privacy" from co workers (or the public, depending) even if you didn't have a camera?
What is so different to you now?

It wouldn't bother me. When I worked, I assumed there could possibly be hidden cameras. But then again, the company I worked for was too cheap. One of their locations was spray painted, and they had FAKE cameras installed. Yeah, it worked, but you would think a FUNERAL HOME would have real ones.

We r under same monitor... But we know it. I don't mind. I do not do anything I wouldn't want them to see. I think it is way more norm them you think.

:confused3 Working on private property has nothing to do with it. Different states have different laws on whether/what types of audio and video surveillance is permitted in the workplace. The OP would have to look into the law in her state to determine whether what her employer is doing is legal or not.

I very much doubt that any state has laws prohibiting employers from videotaping employees (excepting the obvious such as the bathroom w/o their knowledge, etc.)

I very much doubt that any state has laws prohibiting employers from videotaping employees (excepting the obvious such as the bathroom w/o their knowledge, etc.)

Correct. The courts have ruled employees have no expectation of privacy in the workplace, other than the bathroom, or dressing rooms.

Same with on the street, if you are in a public place, you have no expectation of privacy, so anyone can take your picture or videotape you in public without your permission. Now, the courts have taken that a step further, and generally ruled that they can not use devices such as zoom lenses to see from a public place, something in a private place, like through a window into your home..

Sadly there is no expectation of privacy and I see it only getting worse. As bad as this is, I believe the technology the govt has would freak us out even more!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter