Yachtsman or Shula’s?

2tulips

Earning My Ears
Hi! We have a trip in early May and I currently have dinner at the Yachtsman booked but was wondering if Shula’s would be a better choice. We have never been to either one. We were hoping to hop to Epcot after dinner real quickly as it’s one of the extra hour nights for deluxe guests. Thanks for any thoughts!

Shula's. After years of Yachtsman being a favorite, we had such a horrible experience last year we said we'd never return. Terribly long wait after our ADR time, poor service, and my steak was close to raw (ordered medium) two different times.

However, I know others have reported good recent experiences.

We love, love, love Shula’s. We have always been seated on time, service has always been excellent (very attentive-to the point where we felt like we were the only people there despite it being a full house- but never annoying or overbearing), food is delicious.

I'll say just flip a coin and go with that. Each has its ardent fans, so I honestly don't think opinions likely to help you choose.

Despite seeing a number of negative Yachtsman reviews post-covid-reopening, we had our typically delicious meal there in fall 2021, last we've been to WDW. It's a longtime favorite. Haven't ever tried Shula's. It always seems to drop off our "maybe this trip" list, not sure why because we do enjoy excellent food.

One suggestion to consider: We always go business casual at least to the Signatures, sometimes nicer. We feel showing respect by dressing better than park-going clothes at the upscale restaurants pays off for us in service quality.

We have been to both and I the only reason we ever picked Yachtsman over Shulas was because Shulas wasnt on the dining plan. Shulas is a whole different dining experience. You are seated almost immediately. You feel like you are very special to them. You have 3 staff working each table so the whole experience is timed perfectly. The food is a whole different level than Yachtsmans.

We usually opt for Yachtsman over Shula's because it's unique to WDW. Shula's is a step above anything Disney owned and operated; however, we do feel it's more average in the world of top tier steakhouses. One of these days, we're going to make it to Bull & Bear over at the Waldorf.

My issue with Shula's probably wouldn't bother a lot of people but to me their portions are just too huge. I'm a huge steak fan, yet even I struggled to eat my entire steak. On the flip side my recent experiences at Yachtsman had extremely long waits for our ADR, like getting seated over an hour late. To me that is unacceptable.

We prefer Shula's. Shula's has a more classic upscale steakhouse feel while Yachtsman feels slightly lower. Steak quality and price are comparable but the extras/non steak at Shula's are better to us.

Let me start by saying we love both, we actually have reservations for both for our vacation next week. But if I had to only choose one, I would choose Yachtsman over Shula's for two reasons. One, I prefer the sides at Yachtsman more than Shula's, that is probably a preference thing, so take it for what it's worth and two, I love the Pull apart Onion rolls at Yachtsman, I have found the service to be good at both places, with Yachtsman being a little slower, but for us, that is fine and more relaxing. Either way you cant go wrong, enjoy.

It depends on the dining experience you prefer. Shula's is all about the upscale experience, and Yachtsman is much more low key. If you're running in after a park, with kids, or don't want to invest the time then skip Shula's. However, for a date night or a nice night out with the kids where they aren't already exhausted from the day Shula's is the #1 choice.

Never been to Yachtsman but I've been to Shula's and you could not pay me to go back. By far, the worst steakhouse experience I've ever had. Terrible/rude service and mediocre steak is not a great combination.

Lots of great tidbits of advice in here, Although I've never eaten at Shulas, ( Been to other restaurants @ the (SWOLPHIN), & only have eaten once at YS & it was a top notch experience TBH. From the food to the service & all... 1 other thing though, You did mention that you wanted to do EPCOT afterwards. What about trying to secure an ADR @ Le Cellier perhaps?

I would say equally "ok" food as compared to other high-end steakhouses back home.
As others have said, Shula's is possibly less "straight from the park" clientele and vibe - so if you are looking for something that takes you out of that environment - given everything else being about equal - I would go there.

Shula's and you won't be disappointed! We used to be frequent visitors of Yachtsman, then tried Shula's and had to go back two additional times on our trip. We had to sit at the bar but was able to order everything you'd want and don't pass on the chocolate lava cake!

Very much enjoy both restaurants. Never once been seated even nearly on time at yachtsman but food is great and the atmosphere is relaxed. Food and service is better at Shulas IMO and only picked yachtsman latterly as on dining plan and in the hotel we were staying.

My vote goes to Shula's. I've been to both places a few times but Shula's is better in my opinion. Make sure you try the Chocolate Souffle for dessert!

Shula’s. We go there on the regular. My dad loved to go there when I lived in Orlando, even though there were other really good steak houses we could frequent, so we went there quite a bit when he visited. We just went there in January and again on Wednesday, both times we had excellent service and meals. It’s pricey, and I do agree about the comment about the large portions. I always get the filet, and it irks me that the smallest one is 10oz; that’s too big for me, so I always take some back to the room and hope someone eats it.

Curious. How do the prices between both compare? I've never been to Shula's and we go to Yachtsman often. Maybe switch it up.

What restaurant did you end up going with? I know this is late, but I went to Yachtsman 5 years ago and the food was great and dessert was a fund puzzle that you got to paint with food coloring. I have been staying at Swan and Dolphin in the recent years and Shula's is on the list.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter