Yeehaw Let's Go to Disneyland Trip Report Updated 6/23/2014 Pg 3

thatgrljme

Mouseketeer
Hello everyone! I figured since we are 71 days out I would start our pre trip report and do some introductions. We will be in Disneyland Saturday, May 10.....I'm counting down the days, obviously :)

Let me introduce everyone -

I am Jaime mama of one toddler. Southern California native but have been in Texas for 15 years. This will be my first trip to Disneyland since 1998.

12822558023_6c1f08ec74_n.jpg

Above is my son Oliver. He is 2 years old and all boy. This will be a first of many for him. First plane ride, first trip outside of Texas, first visit to Disneyland.....I am very excited for him. He loves Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Jake the Neverland Pirates and Sheriff Callie.

My father will also be joining us. He took me to Disneyland for the first time when I was 2 1/2 and I thought he would enjoy being there for his grandsons first trip at the same age I was.

12822895204_b1c9403bd8_n.jpg

We are both very excited to be going back for the first time in years and for Oliver's first trip. Hoping he does well with the characters because currently he is very scared of Santa Clause.

I will update a little more tomorrow with our plans, where we are staying, and a very special mother's day present.

I think that is really cool that your dad will get to share this experience with you and your son, especially given the age similarities with your first trip!

Have fun planning!!:cheer2:

We will arrive at LAX bright and early on May 10. Our flight gets in around 8am and my dad is flying in from Colorado and will meet us at baggage claim with the rental car.

We will be staying at PPH concierge level from May 10-15. I've never stayed on property at Disneyland as I only lived about 45 minutes away growing up so this is exciting for me. I thought with a toddler staying on site would help with naps, and concierge with snacks so I think we'll get our monies worth out of both.

Our plan is really no plan. It's basically up to my son and how he acts around characters and on rides. I took him to the zoo a few weeks ago and he refused to get on the train. He hates Santa Clause and when we visited the fire station open house in our town there was a dalmatian (guy dressed up in a dalmatian suit) and it scared him to death. I'm crossing my fingers since he loves Mickey so much that we'll be ok.

I was planning on doing Surf's Up breakfast to see how he reacts, but I think we'll be doing that a few days after we get there since I found out yesterday about the DLH Mothers Day brunch! I am so excited for this and I think this will make up for IASW and POTC being down. I really wanted to have lunch at Blue Bayou, but given the ride being down I doubt they will be open.

Looking forward to this trip so much I cannot wait until we set foot in the hotel.

Following along :thumbsup2

I would suggest maybe start showing him some you tube videos of Disneyland and maybe he won't freak out, my kids were a little older (4&5) our first trip but my son(5) was a HUGE chicken and doesn't like the dark and all that so I was worried about how he would handle the dark rides and we watched a few videos of stuff before we went and they loved it...were going back for our second trip July of this year and he wants to ride all the big rides (he is 48 inches now)

Following along :thumbsup2

I would suggest maybe start showing him some you tube videos of Disneyland and maybe he won't freak out, my kids were a little older (4&5) our first trip but my son(5) was a HUGE chicken and doesn't like the dark and all that so I was worried about how he would handle the dark rides and we watched a few videos of stuff before we went and they loved it...were going back for our second trip July of this year and he wants to ride all the big rides (he is 48 inches now)

We just got the new planning DVD yesterday and I did start playing it for him, but he got sidetracked with his lightning mcqueen cars lol. He is in love with Cars right now which I think will be helpful and he does watch Mickey Mouse Clubhouse everyday.

Thanks for the tips!

We're going for my sons 2nd bday right before you may1-4. We live in NorCal but it's first plane ride too. Jude loves Santa and people, but I'm concerned too for the rides and characters. I'll let you know how it goes. Can't wait to see pictures and hear how it goes.

We're going for my sons 2nd bday right before you may1-4. We live in NorCal but it's first plane ride too. Jude loves Santa and people, but I'm concerned too for the rides and characters. I'll let you know how it goes. Can't wait to see pictures and hear how it goes.

Oh how exciting. I hope he does well on the rides. Good luck! Can't wait to hear

After finding out that the DLH is no longer offering the mother's day brunch we went ahead and booked brunch for the morning at the PCH Grille. Hopefully Oliver will do well with the characters and enjoy himself.

Today I made a few dining reservations. We have a late-ish lunch on Monday at Cafe Orleans and dinner at Carnation Cafe on Tuesday. I'm really looking forward to trying the Fried Pickles and the Baked Potato Soup at Carnation Cafe, as well as the obvious choices at Cafe Orleans (pomme frittes, gumbo and benigets)

I think this will be the extent of our dining reservations. I might add one more character breakfast. I'm a little bummed that Minnie and Friends won't be happening due to the renovations while we are there, but we might try Goofy's Kitchen or Storytellers.

My dad ordered some shirts for Oliver for the trip, and I'm going to get my dad a hat and a tshirt so we can have one day where we all match. I thought that would be cute for pictures.

56 days and counting!

I found out today that by best friend from high school, who I haven't seen in 14 years, will be meeting us at DLR with her two sons on May 14, the last day in the parks for us. I am so excited to see her again, meet her little boys and have fun as a group.

She has two sons, one is 4 and the other is 6 (I believe this is correct) and I am so looking forward to meeting them. One of her boys asked her this morning if my son "bites and stuff" because he is 2 lol

I added an additional reservation to the mix. We will be having a late lunch at Blue Bayou as well as the other places I posted about earlier. I'd like to try the lobster nachos at the Cove Bar and have breakfast at the River Belle Terrace. I'm so looking forward to the food on this trip as I never paid much attention to it in the past because I was a broke teenager.

I've never had a corn dog from DL, I've never tried the Dole Whip *gasp* I KNOW! I will probably gain 10lbs on this trip, and that's ok because I fully intend to indulge and enjoy!

I wish I could fast forward this next month and a half.

How exciting for you to get to meet up with an old friend!! I am the same way with the food for our trip....we just don't have enough days to try all the places I want to eat :rotfl2:

How exciting for you to get to meet up with an old friend!! I am the same way with the food for our trip....we just don't have enough days to try all the places I want to eat :rotfl2:

I wish I could have an extra day or two just for food lol

Yesterday I spent the afternoon crafting homemade autograph books for Oliver. I made two for him and one for my friends boys.

oliverautographbook2 by thtgrljme, on Flickr

oliverautographbook1 by thtgrljme, on Flickr

colecarsonautographbook by thtgrljme, on Flickr

I had grabbed some of the cheap photo books from Target, stickers, washi tape and card stock and found my inspiration through pinterest to make these. Inside one page is blank for a picture and the opposite side contains white card stock for the characters to sign. I will be taking a binder clip to clip the paper onto the front for the characters and sharpie markers.

I've also amassed a huge pile of things that are coming on the trip with us. Everything from t-shirts, to a stroller lock, to a mini first aid kit.

46 more days to go!

Our first day in the park will be your last day! I understand your concern about how Oliver will do with the characters. I took my daughter there the first time when she was Oliver's age. We stood in line forever to meet Mickey and I have a lovely picture of her in my arms leaning as far from Mickey as possible. She's screaming, of course! But, the day got better. I went off to Toon Town with her (sent the camera with my husband since he had the three older kids) and thought I'd try again with Minnie. Well, I let go of her hand for a sec and she ran past the few people in front of us and jumped into Minnie's lap! I was profusely apologetic and, fortunately, people were fine. Then, at the end of the day, we were in a store on Main Street and she suddenly ran out the door. I ran after her and there she was with her arms wrapped around Mickey's leg! I think she just need to get used to it. Hope that works for Oliver, too! :)

Have fun!

Our first day in the park will be your last day! I understand your concern about how Oliver will do with the characters. I took my daughter there the first time when she was Oliver's age. We stood in line forever to meet Mickey and I have a lovely picture of her in my arms leaning as far from Mickey as possible. She's screaming, of course! But, the day got better. I went off to Toon Town with her (sent the camera with my husband since he had the three older kids) and thought I'd try again with Minnie. Well, I let go of her hand for a sec and she ran past the few people in front of us and jumped into Minnie's lap! I was profusely apologetic and, fortunately, people were fine. Then, at the end of the day, we were in a store on Main Street and she suddenly ran out the door. I ran after her and there she was with her arms wrapped around Mickey's leg! I think she just need to get used to it. Hope that works for Oliver, too! :) Have fun!

Oh what a wonderful story about your daughter. I hope this trip is just as magical for you. People think I'm crazy for wanting to take him there at this age but I think it will be wonderful.

I hope you have a fantastic trip and you just gave me so much hope :)

Oh what a wonderful story about your daughter. I hope this trip is just as magical for you. People think I'm crazy for wanting to take him there at this age but I think it will be wonderful.

I hope you have a fantastic trip and you just gave me so much hope :)

I'm so glad--that's exactly what I was trying to do. DD is almost 19 now, and I'm sure it will be magical, just in a different way.

Please come back after your trip and let us know how Oliver does!

I'm so glad--that's exactly what I was trying to do. DD is almost 19 now, and I'm sure it will be magical, just in a different way.

Please come back after your trip and let us know how Oliver does!

I definitely will. Thanks for reading! :thumbsup2

22 Days to go!!!

All dining reservations, minus maybe one character breakfast, have been made. New suitcases have been purchased. Tshirts, sunscreens, stroller lock, covers for the handles on the strollers that are colorful enough I can find it in a sea of black lol and some snacks have been purchased.

Honestly I'm surprised I haven't started packing!

I still need to get some new socks for myself, some moleskin, a pair of shorts and capris and a pair of slip on shoes for the plane. Other than that I literally check my phone everyday to check in on my countdown app.

So excited!!

22 Days to go!!!

All dining reservations, minus maybe one character breakfast, have been made. New suitcases have been purchased. Tshirts, sunscreens, stroller lock, covers for the handles on the strollers that are colorful enough I can find it in a sea of black lol and some snacks have been purchased.

Honestly I'm surprised I haven't started packing!

I still need to get some new socks for myself, some moleskin, a pair of shorts and capris and a pair of slip on shoes for the plane. Other than that I literally check my phone everyday to check in on my countdown app.

So excited!!

22 days!! WOW I was excited about us going into the double digits lol 98 days :(

I hope your son does well with the characters and rides. We took my DS6 for the first time last year for his 5th birthday. For some reason I had it in my head that "5" was the magic age to go to Disneyland for the first time so we never even considered going before then. Unfortunately, he was at the prime age for "fears", so he would not go on any dark rides or up close to any characters. But he has always been very hesitant when it comes to things like that. This past Christmas was the VERY FIRST time we could get him to sit on Santa's lap! We are trying for a trip to DLR just after Thanksgiving this year so hopefully he will have outgrown some of it. I just showed him a video of the POTC ride and he said NO WAY! Oh well :)

If your son loves Disney Jr., you must take him to the Disney Jr. show at DCA where he'll see all his favorites on stage. Also, the Animation Academy building is great for some quiet time and Turtle Talk with Crush is super cute. At DL go see the shows at the Royal Theatre in Fantasy Faire. They are great! Have fun!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter