Yellowstone question

McKelly

DIS Veteran
We are planning our first Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip next summer and we will only have three full days in Yellowstone. We are spending the first night at Old Faithful Inn and will arrive fairly early in the AM to see all of that area. Our plan the next day is drive north and then east, through Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Falls and then spend the next two nights at Canyon. I figured the second day would be driving all day, with the third day in the Canyon area. The problem is, I can't fit the Lake Yellowstone area in the plans. Is Lake Yellowstone not to be missed? If you had to list your top five not to be missed areas/things to do in Yellowstone, what would they be, maybe that will help us. Thanks!

My top five area to not be missed are (not in any order):
Mammoth Hot Springs
Norris Geyser Basin
Old Faithful Area
Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
and then a toss up between the area heading towards West Yellowstone and the Hayden Valley. I've usually seen lots of wildlife in those two areas.

I really haven't spent much time in the Yellowstone Lake area. Two of the five times I have visited have been in the fall and that area has reduced/no services during that time of the year.

Wow...three days in Yellowstone, huh? Most definitely only enough time to barely scratch the surface, but a whole lot better than no time at all!

Since you've never been there, here's what I'd suggest for a three day itinerary (given your accommodations):

1. Day One-Old Faithful. Watch her blow two or three times-once right in front of the Inn with the masses of other people, another from up above on a short hike toward Solitary Geyser(where you may be alone), and then a third while you explore the area of the geyser basin that's accessible via boardwalks. If you start really early, this can be comfortably accomplished by lunchtime. After lunch, I'd really recommend getting away from OF Inn, and maybe doing the Lone Star Geyser trail. Check it out here .

2. Day Two-This is a tough day because of the travel involved, so we'll have to use the travel to your advantage! You'll see a lot of the park on this day, but won't have time to get in-depth anywhere. On the way north out of OF, stop at Fountain Paint Pots trail, and do that (maybe 45 minutes total). If you're interested (and it's a highlight for my family), you can stop for a swim at the Firehole River swimming area on Firehole Drive, just before you get to Madison. Continue on to Mammoth, and allot at least three hours to tour the terraces. Again, if you're interested, there is a bathing/soaking area near the sign for the 45th parallel just north very near Mammoth. It's one of my favorite places to relax and hang out in the Park, but the last time we were there, the area was closed :sad2: . Continue over to Canyon before sunset for the scenery on the way.

3. Day Three-Again, up early-maybe even really really early to try and spot some wildlife in the Lamar Valley. It'll be very easy to spend the rest of the day on trails around the Canyon. If you're up for it, try Uncle Tom's to the bottom. Just remember that it takes twice as long to climb back out!! Make sure you hit all of the scenic viewpoints on both the north and south rims, especially (IMO) Artist Point (Hey, this IS the Dis, right? Gotta see the restaurant's namesake!!).

4. Day Four-Yes, there's a day FOUR. You have to get to the Tetons somehow, right???? And that's going to take you right through the Lake area. On the way, check out Sulphur Caldron, Mud Volcano, and one of my favorite areas, the LeHardy Rapids. Stop for breakfast at the Lake Hotel, then continue south. Consider another short stop at the West Thumb Geyser Basin for a short walk around the boardwalk. Watch for fish warming themselves over the submerged hot springs. Then continue south to the Tetons.....

Yes, you'll be exhausted. And yes, it's a lot to try and fit into a relatively short time. But it will give you an excellent overview of quite a few things, and gets you away from the crowds in a couple of places. Yellowstone is truly a classic National Park in every respect, and one thing holds true there that is true of virtually every park I've visited; All you have to do is get one mile from a parking lot, and you'll be virtually alone-no matter what time of year you visit. We've had a number of friends visit Yellowstone in recent years, and that's the most important bit of advice we've given them (and they've all confirmed was the most important thing!)-get away from the crowds and experience Yellowstone in solitude. It's an extraordinary place that you'll remember forever!!

Enjoy it no matter what you choose to do!!

My personal top five:

1. Old Faithful Inn and surroundings.
2. Firehole River swimming area.
3. Mount Washburn trail.
4. Uncle Tom's.
5. Northeast Entrance Road (can't explain why-just love it!).

We are planning our first Yellowstone/Grand Teton trip next summer and we will only have three full days in Yellowstone. We are spending the first night at Old Faithful Inn and will arrive fairly early in the AM to see all of that area. Our plan the next day is drive north and then east, through Mammoth Hot Springs, Tower Falls and then spend the next two nights at Canyon. I figured the second day would be driving all day, with the third day in the Canyon area. The problem is, I can't fit the Lake Yellowstone area in the plans. Is Lake Yellowstone not to be missed? If you had to list your top five not to be missed areas/things to do in Yellowstone, what would they be, maybe that will help us. Thanks!

This year, we spent 2 days in the Lake Yellowstone area (at Lake Yellowstone hotel and cabins) and next year we're already booked to stay 4 nights there. We LOVE that area. When we checked in and saw a bison grazing by our cabin, I was hooked.

DSCF1105.jpg

In addition to what you're planning to see, I'd recommend you go to Artist Point to see the lower falls (the road to the upper falls was closed when we were there). And if you want to try to see wolves, I'd recommend a drive to the Slough Creek area. Just curious, where are you staying at OFI? We stayed on the first floor in the general store side wing, and it was OK, but not outstanding. Eating at the general store, however, was great. Feel free to ask any more questions-we LOVE Yellowstone (and the Grand Tetons).

I almost forgot-I have some more pictures and a report on dvcnews.com. Although the report focuses on OFI vs. WL, it's somewhat about the park too.

We have a Front side room booked at OFI. Hope that is okay, I have read reviews about mice in the OFI, I might be a little freaked out by that, hopefully not. I will make sure I hike ALL DAY long that day, to make sure I fall fast asleep!!

We do plan on staying in Jackson for three nights prior to visit the Grand Tetons and then after three nights in Yellowstone, two nights in Cody, for the museum, rodeo and the mustang tour. Has anybody done the mustang tour? Will kids like it? My DD9 is a real horse lover, so this is for her!

Thanks for all of the great tips. It is difficult to try to cram everything in to a week's time. I feel bad for my DH having to drive so much, but no way am I driving in the moutains. The one thing that is really bugging me is I wanted to drive on the Beartooth, but I can't fit it in our plans. Maybe next time.

I would look at www.nps.gov/yell and have the kids pick some places they want to see. I like the Lake area and you can see that part of the park on the way to Cody. Have a picnic lunch on the lake!

Enjoy your trip.

May I ask where you are staying in Jackson? I have the Snow Lodge booked for 4 nights next Aug but also want to start in Jackson or Teton Village for a few nights before Yellowstone.

May I ask where you are staying in Jackson? I have the Snow Lodge booked for 4 nights next Aug but also want to start in Jackson or Teton Village for a few nights before Yellowstone.

I haven't decided yet, to be honest with you. I was looking at the Lodge at Jackson, which is a Best Western. It has a pool, which my kids would like, and queen beds. I know they most likely won't be swimming during our in-park Yellowstone days, so I wanted them to be able to swim for part of the vacation (swimming is important to them).

Speaking of swimming, how is the pool at the Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton National Park? I was considering that as well, however, it probably is already too late to book.

We were at Yellowstone the first week of September, and we visited most of the places you are considering.

Highlights for me:

The Old Faithful area - we walked from Old Faithful Inn all the way to Biscuit Basin and back one afternoon - saw lots of beautiful pools and geysers. My favorite geyser was actually Castle Geyser - MUCH more impressive than Old Faithful. It erupts a LOT longer and taller than OF does - but it only erupts every 13 hours or so. But if you're at the Inn you should have a good chance to see it. We also enjoyed seeing Black Sand Basin - for a small area, it has a lot of variety.

West Thumb Geyser Basin (near Lake Yellowstone) - Definitely worth a stop (won't take more than an hour) - it has some of the most beautiful pools we saw, and the setting, right on the lake, is unique and beautiful.

Norris Geyser Basin - More beautiful pools, and a fairly extensive basin. Not as much geyser activity, though. Allow a couple of hours.

Lower and Upper Yellowstone Falls. Artist Point was the most crowded area we were in all week, but the view was worth it. (The north road, which goes to Inspiration Point, was closed this year, but maybe next year you will be able to go to both.) We also did Uncle Tom's Trail - definitely worth the climb back up - you get a stunning view of the Lower Fall from down there.

Grand Prismatic Spring - amazing color, and it's HUGE. The best way to really see it is to hike about 1/2 mile down the Fairy Falls trail, and then scramble up the hill on your left. You can get high enough that you can see the entire spring over the top of the trees - it's a much better view than you get from the boardwalks next to the spring.

The terraces at Mammoth Hot Springs were ok - I'm glad we did that early in our trip, I think I would have been disappointed if we'd done it after Old Faithful, Norris, etc. The Lower Terraces are a lot more interesting - I didn't think there was much to see in the Upper Terrace area (which you can drive, though we walked it). Someone said 3 hours to see the terraces - that seems like an awful lot to me. I think we did the entire area in two - and we walked the Upper Terraces instead of driving.

We did hikes to Fairy Falls and Imperial Geyser, Lone Star Geyser, Elephant Back Loop Trail (near Lake Yellowstone), Natural Bridge (near Lake Yellowstone), Storm Point (also Lake Yellowstone), and Beaver Ponds (near Mammoth Hot Springs). They were all really nice, though I'm not sure I'd do Beaver Ponds again.

If you're pressed for time, I would do the drive of the Lower Geyser basin rather than the Fountain Paint Pot area - I was disappointed in the latter. I would also skip Artist Paint Pots.

Tower Falls was worth a stop - but you can't walk to the base of the falls any more because of damage to the trail.

Lamar Valley/Hayden Valley were kind of a bust for us - but we didn't get there early, either. We did see a large herd of buffalo on the move in Lamar Valley, and that was very cool, and we saw a few pronghorn. Most of our wildlife sightings were in the Lake area or Old Faithful areas - we saw lots of bison (though most were single individuals) and some elk. And we saw 4 coyotes one morning near Daisy Geyser in the Old Faithful area - one of them came up and was only about 12 feet away from us! Not threatening at all, but curious, I guess.

Someone mentioned eating at the Yellowstone General Stores - I second that. The Hamilton Store next to Old Faithful Inn had a really nice diner that served a good (and inexpensive) breakfast. And the large General Store next to the Snow Lodge had pizza, paninis, etc. - waaay better than the Geyser Grill in the Snow Lodge. I would recommend dinner (or lunch) at the restaurant in the Old Faithful Inn, though - really good food and a beautiful setting. If you're eating dinner make reservations as soon as you can (if you're staying there I think you can make them 6 months in advance? Or maybe it's 3) - otherwise you're stuck with eating at 5:00 or at 8:30!

It's really an amazing area - we had a wonderful time and would like to go back some day!

IMO don't stay at Teton Village in the summer. It's a ski area. It's 13 miles from Jackson and there isn't much to do or see there. Stay in Jackson.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter