Yellowstone vs. Yosemite

KCmike

Never have fallen asleep on any
We loved Yosemite last. I mean loved it. I think I am now on a National Parks addiction. Can anyone tell me how Yellowstone stacks up to Yosemite? I have done very research so far. I think the Grand Tetons are close.
Who has been to both?
Anyone have any pictures or trip reports they can share?

KC, we got the bug last year too after our trip to Yosemite. We are booked at Yellowstone for early June. Can't wait. We are staying in the park for 4 nights and GTNP for the other 2. I'll do a trip report and let you now how it is.

Yosemite is so much different than Yellowstone. You have more wildlife sighting opportunities in Yellowstone as well as the geothermal features that you don't have at Yosemite. Except for the one waterfall at Yellowstone, Yosemite has them beat. I also understand that Yellowstone is a lot more driving, just due to the enormous size of the park itself. I'm sure it will be just as breathtaking and awe inspiring.

If you are interested in staying in Yellowstone, we got our reservations a year in advance. They book up fast during the summer.

Where are you staying?
Is it possible to stay outside the park and still be close?
We would like to go in June or really late in the summer season because my daughter is learning to drive and wanting to get her learners permit and Drivers Education class.

We are going in early June and staying 2 nights at Canyon Lodge (Western Cabins) and 2 nights at Old Faithful Snow Lodge (Western Cabins). We looked at Gardiner (west entrance). There were a lot of hotels/motels there to choose from. However, we wanted to stay in the park and cut down on traveling to and from our lodging. Also, they are doing a lot of road work within the park and you don't know where they are going to be detouring this year.

Keep in mind that Yellowstone is not big, not large, but HUGE! Take a look at the scale on any map of the park and you will get a sense of how far apart the major sites are. Don't speed and expect to get caught up in at least one Bison Jam a day.

Bison Jam

100_0973.JPG

It really pays to stay inside the park if you can get lodging there. We stayed at three differant locations - Lake, Old Faithful and Mamouth - for a couple of nights at each place. Reflecting back on this trip, I would have added a few more nights and also stayed in the Grand Canyon area (that's Yellowstone's GC, not the NP in AZ :thumbsup2).

View from cabin door at Lake Lodge

100_0992.JPG

How does Yellowstone stack up to Yosemite? They are both spectacular and must sees. I'd say that Yellowstone involves more walking. While you can see a lot close to the roads, you really do need to get away from the crowds and hike. That said, stick to the marked trails (marked, not necessarily paved) and definately do not venture off the "boardwalks" where they exist unless you are with a Ranger. A couple years back, they had longer Ranger hikes for a fee, if they still do take at least one, if not more.

Away from the crowd

100_0855.JPG

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter