Yellowstone

CapHook

Mouseketeer
I am looking to plan our first big vacation that does not involve WDW. We are going to Yellowstone from Houston in the SUV. We have reservations for two nights at the LAKE YELLOWSTONE HOTEL in an ANNEX room and then two nights at the MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS HOTEL in a budget cabin that does not have a private bath.

Is four nights in Yellowston enough? Will my kids be bored? Ages 15,11 and 9. Has anyone ever driven from Houston to Yellowstone?

Is there a yellowstone travel board like the Dis board?

There are a fair number of people who follow this forum who are knowledgeable about Yellowstone, so it's a pretty good place to get answers to your questions.

Yellowstone is a HUGE park. You won't see everything in 4 days, but you should be able to hit the highlights.

What time of year are you visiting? If it's in the summer, expect it to be busy.

We stayed at the Lake Yellowstone hotel last year and it was very nice. If you want to eat dinner in the dining room there (pricey, but the food was very good) make reservations as soon as you can - I think it's three months in advance if you are a guest there?

But the cafeteria at the Lake Yellowstone Lodge is decent, too.

I imagine that from Lake Yellowstone you are planning to visit the Upper Geyser Basin (where Old Faithful is). It's a drive of at least an hour from there, but it'll be closer from there than from Mammoth Hot Springs. The problem with geysers is that there is lots of waiting around for them. From Lake Yellowstone I would also suggest visiting the West Thumb Geyser Basin - that's not too far away, and has some of the most beautiful pools that we saw in the park. Not much in the way of active geysers, though. If you're interested in a short, fairly easy hike, then hike to the Natural Bridge from the West Thumb Marina is nice.

On the day that you drive from Lake Yellowstone to Mammoth you will pass right by the Mud Volcano area, the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone (definitely visit either Artist's Point or Inspiration Point, which ever is open), and the Tower Falls overlook. You can make shorter or longer stops at each depending on how much you want to do. If you arrive at Mammoth early enough you can take a walk in the afternoon/evening on the terraces - the light is really nice in the late afternoon.

From Mammoth I would recommend driving to the Norris Geyser Basin for a day trip - that's a very active geothermal area and we found it very interesting. Get there as early in the day as you can, though - it gets very crowded by 10:00 or so. Artist Paint Pots is not too far beyond Norris and it's very popular, but we found it to be quite underwhelming.

The dining room at Mammoth is definitely your best option for dinner - the "grill" was not very good and didn't have anything beyond hamburgers and that kind of thing.

There's a visitor center at Mammoth that has some decent exhibits and a movie about Yellowstone.

As to whether your kids will be bored...it depends on what they like to do. If they like hiking and being outdoors and seeing geysers and boiling pools and bubbling mud pots, then they should be fine. If they don't, then yes, they will be bored.

I am looking to plan our first big vacation that does not involve WDW. We are going to Yellowstone from Houston in the SUV. We have reservations for two nights at the LAKE YELLOWSTONE HOTEL in an ANNEX room and then two nights at the MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS HOTEL in a budget cabin that does not have a private bath.

Is four nights in Yellowston enough? Will my kids be bored? Ages 15,11 and 9. Has anyone ever driven from Houston to Yellowstone?

We're going to Yellowstone in June for our third trip there. Coincidently we're also staying at Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Mammoth Hot Springs, but in different accomodations at both places. For both, cabin with private bath. Twice we've flown there from Houston, but never driven (this year we'll fly from San Antonio). Since we don't have teenagers, I can't help there. We've always gone in June, which is far less crowded, but we've always encountered some degree of snow. Yes, there's a yellowstone forum-
www.yellowstone.net/forums but I haven't found that to be the most open and friendliest of groups. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions-we've loved Yellowstone.

Lake Yellowstone cabins
DSCF1121.jpg

Mammoth Hot Springs
PICT0198.jpg

near Lake Yellowstone hotel
PICT0153.jpg

Thanks for these responses.

Our room reserations are for mid June. I hope we will be ahead of the large crowds. I only made the reservations last week, so the fact that rooms are still available might be a good sign!

I am trying to figure out the drive up and back.

Day 1 - Houston to Amarillo (visit my sister and stay overnight)
Day 2 - Amarillo to Colorada Spring or Boulder?
Day 3 - to Jackson?
Day 4 - into Yellowstone (overnight at Lake Yellowstone Hotel)
Day 5 - Yellowstone (over night at Lake Yellowstone Hotel)
Day 6 - Yellowstone (over night at MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS HOTEL)
Day 7 - Yellowstone (overnight at MAMMOTH HOT SPRINGS HOTEL)
Day 8 - Yellowstone drive out - overnight at Sheridan, WY
Day 9 - Devil's Tower, MT Rushmore - overnight Cheyenne
Day 10 Cheyenne, WY to Amarillo, TX
Day 11 Amarillo to Houston

Is this a reasonable plan?

We took two weeks and drove from Washington State to Mount Rushmore last summer with 13 and 15 year old girls. We stayed several days near Mount Rushmore and several days near Yellowstone (West Yellowstone). The girls did NOT want to go on a "road trip" but we felt we owed them at least one before they move out of the house :).

They were determined not to like Mount Rushmore (our main destination) but they loved Crazy Horse, because it's a work in progress, and they both really enjoyed Yellowstone. It is such a strange place that I think the geysers, mud pots, springs, and wild animals kept them amused. Hopefully your kids will enjoy it also!

I will warn you though that we were in the car all day, every day, and just stopped at each tourist area and walked along the trails to see the various sites. We stayed three nights in West Yellowstone and didn't get to see everything but felt we got a good feel for the park. We drove in from the East and did the bottom loop the first day, then drove to Mammoth the second day and the third day we took the upper loop.

I've heard there are more animals in the Grand Teton NP and I assume you will be driving through that on your way to Yellowstone. Had I known that before we left on our trip, we would have gone through that park also (the Yellowstone pass gets you into both parks).

Our room reserations are for mid June. I hope we will be ahead of the large crowds. I only made the reservations last week, so the fact that rooms are still available might be a good sign!

Day 3 - to Jackson?

I can only comment on the Jackson/Yellowstone part. We drove from Jackson to Lake Yellowstone. Left Jackson about 10:00am, got to Lake Yellowstone in time for a late lunch and then check-in (we poked along pretty slowly). My recommendation is that for fast food, don't eat at the little CS place down the hall from the lobby. It's not that it's bad, but a better one is at the general store that's a walk towards the lake. And there's a good chance of seeing "Bob the buffalo" on your walk (he's the one in my picture-he hangs around the Lake Yellowstone Cabins). And the drive to Mammoth from Lake Yellowstone took us from after breakfast until lunchtime-but we made several detours in our drive-over to Lamar Valley to see wolves (none there that day/time), stopped at Tower area to sightsee at the sheep, stop to see the grizzly bears in Hayden Valley. We liked the cafeteria place to eat lunch in Mammoth. It was about 1/2 way between the Visitors Center and the hot springs boardwalk. We're going 6/7-6/14. I imagine by "mid-June" you probably mean the following week, so you'll get there as we leave.

Day 3 - to Jackson?

I live in Houston and we have planned our trip mid June as well. Although I cancelled and rescheduled for next year, I see that our plans are very similar. We will be staying at Old Faithful Inn for 2 nts and then Mammoth Hot Springs for 2 nts. We were planning on leaving Houston and driving to Amarillo and stay with cousins the first night, then on to Pueblo, Co to stay with my sister. After leaving Pueblo, we plan to drive to Jackson for 2nts. In Grand Tetons we plan to go rafting and spend a 1/2 day visiting Lake Jenny and hiking before heading to Yellowstone. We were going to visit some museums in Cody when we leave YNP on our way to SD. We plan on staying btw. Cody and Devil's Tower with a stop at Devil's Tower on our way to Hill City for 3 nts. We plan on being gone 2 wks. We were able to schedule dining reservations a year in advance for the Old Faithful Inn Dining Room. We also made ressies for the Western Cookout that leaves from Roosevelt Lodge. This looks like fun and you need reservations in advance. My kids are 8 and 5 and enjoyed doing the Ranger Programs in any National Pak we visit. Ask at any Visitor Center for programs available for children. Hope you have a great time.

I grew up in the area - though I moved away after graduation and it's been a few years since I've gone back.
4 days will give you plenty of time if you are just sight seeing. When I go back and visit we do 2 days - 1 for the upper loop and 1 for the lower loop. I would recommend stopping at West Yellowstone and visiting the Grizzly Center - they even have an Imax there. And swimming at Firehole is always fun.

See responses to your schedule below

Amarillo to Colorado Springs is only about 5-6 hours, leaving a 10 hour drive to Jackson on Day three. Boulder is out of the way, so unless you are going there for a specific reason I'd recommend going from Amarillo to Cheyenne or Ft Collins, CO. Its 7 hours from Cheyenne to Jackson.
Day 3 - to Jackson?
Tour through Grand Teton NP to Yellowstone
I don't think you can get all this done in one day. If you go to Sundance or Spearfish/Sturgis instead of Sheridan, you'll have a better shot at getting it done, but I still think Rushmore is out of the question. It takes too long to drive in the Black Hills and its a 5-6 hour drive from Mt Rushmore to Cheyenne.

My recommendation would be to spend an extra day in Yellowstone just head back to Cheyenne from there. Otherwise you'll spend 15 hours driving to spend 2 hours at Rushmore.

We're going to Yellowstone in June for our third trip there. Coincidently we're also staying at Lake Yellowstone Hotel and Mammoth Hot Springs, but in different accomodations at both places. For both, cabin with private bath. Twice we've flown there from Houston, but never driven (this year we'll fly from San Antonio). Since we don't have teenagers, I can't help there. We've always gone in June, which is far less crowded, but we've always encountered some degree of snow. Yes, there's a yellowstone forum-
www.yellowstone.net/forums but I haven't found that to be the most open and friendliest of groups. Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions-we've loved Yellowstone.

Lake Yellowstone cabins
DSCF1121.jpg

Mammoth Hot Springs
PICT0198.jpg

near Lake Yellowstone hotel
PICT0153.jpg

We are going in June 2010 and will be staying at Mammoth, Canyon and Old Faithful Snow Lodge. We got cabins for all three, with our own bath. What has the weather been like in June, temp wise? What type of clothing did you pack?

We are going in June 2010 and will be staying at Mammoth, Canyon and Old Faithful Snow Lodge. We got cabins for all three, with our own bath. What has the weather been like in June, temp wise? What type of clothing did you pack?

We just got back, so I remember it well. We packed lots of layers-turtle-necks, sweatshirts, long-sleeves, even thermal underwear! Many days it snowed briefly, then it got sunny and warmed up to the 50s. One thing-learn from my mistake! Bring waterproof hiking boots! Most places were wet from the spring melting snow and my feet got so wet many times. This time we stayed at the Mamoth cabins for 2 nights, and the people next to us had stayed in cabins at 4 different places, the 3 you mentioned + Roosevelt (yes, cabin with bath there-very hard to get). Their favorite cabin was at Mammoth. We really liked it too. DH hasn't even had a chance to download his photos, but when he does, I'll post a picture of the cabin if you'd like.

Also, even though it is likely to be cool/cold, remember to use sunblock. On a trip when I almost always wore long sleeves, I got a really bad sunburn on the back of my hands . . .

June is the most/highest sun regardless of temperatures.

Thanks for the info. I would love to see pictures. I can't believe it is a year away from today and I am so excited! I am really glad we made ressies early as one of the areas where we got the larger cabin...there was only one left!

I am so glad to find some great information here! We are going in 3 weeks and I am wondering if I need to bring a lot of warm clothes. Do I need waterproof shoes and gear as well? We are staying near Island Park but plan on driving in to the park on day trips. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Thanks for the info. I would love to see pictures. I can't believe it is a year away from today and I am so excited! I am really glad we made ressies early as one of the areas where we got the larger cabin...there was only one left!

Sorry it took so long. I didn't forget, but DH was really slow about uploading/downloading his pictures. Here's some of our Mammoth HS cabin-

PICT0180.jpg

PICT0181.jpg

PICT0182.jpg

And one giving you an idea of the weather two weeks ago-

PICT0186.jpg

Thank you!!! Well, I am going to start looking for Goretex hiking boots and break them in a few months before. I am glad you posted because I was thinking it would be around 70 degrees and while it can be....we should plan on it being cooler than that.

Is four nights in Yellowston enough?

No. Most visitors spend at least 1-2 nights in each area. The Park is 2.2 million acres so there is a lot to see and do.

Yellowstone. net is a great message board with many knowlegdable people.
TravelYellowstone. com is Xanterra's site.
Also, check the NPS sites for both Y'stone and the Grand Tetons.

Be sure to check into the Old West Cookout at Roosevelt-it is the most popular activity in the park and I'm sure you kids will love it! I've been twice, and it is a lot of fun.

In closing, I cannot stress this enough please obey all park rules when you visit. Yellowstone is a wilderness area that must be respected, and the park has had it's fair share of deaths. See Death in Yellowtone by Lee Whittlesley.

Have fun on your trip.

I cannot stress enough. Pack WARM clothes. We were there two weeks ago and it snowed so much one day that they closed several roads in the park and required snow tires on others. We were snowed in at Old Faithful Inn in June, how crazy. Although it did make for several really nice pictures. If I get time I will try to post some. We absolutely love it out there and we have been to the area 3 times in the past two years. Our kids are 4, 6, and 10. Also we stayed for 6 nights and could have stayed 6 more if time permitted.

Here is a couple of pictures taken at Old Faithful Inn and the boardwalk in front of Old Faithful. These were taken on June 7 I believe. Its amazing where we live we do not even get this type of snow in January. By the way, even if you do not stay in the Inn you must go in and admire the lobby. Amazing.

100_2485.jpg

100_2482.jpg

If it snows in June, then I'm assuming they have very short summers. We will be there Sept 7,8,9. I wasn't planning on winter clothes, but after reading this post I need to ask - will I need to bring a winter coat? DH and I are seniors, and don't plan on hiking - our mobility plan will be to stay on pavement or boarded trails close to parking. Would I still need boots to keep my feet dry under these circumstances?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter