Yes or no to AP and TIW to save money.. and how does it work

Tessaf

Mouseketeer
We are planning our next trip in 2020 and I'm wondering if buying AP and TIW is beneficial. I would just be purchasing it for myself and not for the other 3 members of my family. I've been running some numbers and I think it would be, but I've never done AP or TIW and I have a few questions.
1) I would be booking hotel and ticket packages on MDE for me, DH, DD, DD. If I booked us all at once and I have the AP, does it take my ticket price off the booking of the package or does it now work that way? I didn't know if I had to book room and tickets separately or anything like that.
2) I saw that you can get a discount on DAH, does that only apply to the AP holder, or does it apply to 3 other people too?
3) We are looking at booking CL at the GF and if the CL FP+ program is still available, does having an AP affect any of booking of the extra FP or other discounts that could be offered?

I know when I ran some numbers, I believe we would come out ahead based on all the table service meals we do, the memory maker, the discounts at stores and when I take the cost of the day tickets for me off the package. I'm just scared to purchase with all the questions I have.

We have had both AP and TiW for several years. Even before we moved to the area 5 years ago, we had both. They really paid off for us.

The AP can save you money if you are staying enough nights or have several trips planned in 1 year. Do the math and you know if it saves you money. Free Photopass is also a nice perk.
The TiW card is more complicated.
You must be a Florida resident, DVC member, or AP holder.
If you eat at the righttype of restaurants it may save you money. The holder of the card must be the one paying for teh entire emal to get the discount. 18% gratuity is automatically added. TiW does cover alcohol and lounges which the AP does not.
In general, without an AP you need to spend about $750 to break even. If you factor in the AP discount, it is between $1250 and $1500 to break even. For us it has worked out well the last 3 years. Again, do the math to see if it works for you. We have been happy with it.
We were there 5 days for 3 of us, came out ahead and have 2 more trips planned before the card expires.

If you book a package with tickets, then everyone in the room must have the same type of ticket. If you are the only member of the party with an AP you would have to book room only and buy tickets separately.

AP discounts are for room only, not packages. When you’re booking, you just choose the AP offer, then choose your resort. With DAH, I had called when I booked ours and was told a limit of 4. Not sure how they actually police that as the website does not limit the number you can buy on an AP and no one verifies your status at any point.

If you book a package with tickets, then everyone in the room must have the same type of ticket. If you are the only member of the party with an AP you would have to book room only and buy tickets separately.
They could upgrade their single ticket to an AP after they check in. Then the other three could keep the original ticket.

TIW only makes sense if you plan to spend $1500 at TS restaurants and lounges

They could upgrade their single ticket to an AP after they check in. Then the other three could keep the original ticket.
She is counting on a room discount to offset the cost of the AP. Doesn't that mean she would have to have the pass (or at least a voucher) at check in?

We are planning our next trip in 2020 and I'm wondering if buying AP and TIW is beneficial. I would just be purchasing it for myself and not for the other 3 members of my family. I've been running some numbers and I think it would be, but I've never done AP or TIW and I have a few questions.
1) I would be booking hotel and ticket packages on MDE for me, DH, DD, DD. If I booked us all at once and I have the AP, does it take my ticket price off the booking of the package or does it now work that way? I didn't know if I had to book room and tickets separately or anything like that.
2) I saw that you can get a discount on DAH, does that only apply to the AP holder, or does it apply to 3 other people too?
3) We are looking at booking CL at the GF and if the CL FP+ program is still available, does having an AP affect any of booking of the extra FP or other discounts that could be offered?

I know when I ran some numbers, I believe we would come out ahead based on all the table service meals we do, the memory maker, the discounts at stores and when I take the cost of the day tickets for me off the package. I'm just scared to purchase with all the questions I have.

1) If you are planning to book with an AP discount, it's a room-only discount, so, you would book that and then purchase your tickets separately. As PP mentioned, you could also book a room/ticket package and then upgrade to an AP when you get there, but that room/ticket package would be at rack rate or at any other general public discount rate offered during that time period. You cannot add tickets to an AP discounted room. It's best to simply price out all options and pick the offer that works best for you.
2) You can get DAH AP discount tickets for your family.
3) Your AP would not affect the booking of the CL FP+. The only time an AP affects any type of discount is when a resort package offer that requires a ticket purchase is released (free dining, for example). You cannot purchase or apply an AP to that kind of offer.

I have an AP and find, for our purposes, the discounts it provides is sufficient for us. We don't eat at enough TS to justify the cost of TIW and none of us drink alcohol. Perhaps make a list of all the places you'd like to eat, estimate the cost and then see if purchasing TIW would be of any benefit.

TIW only makes sense if you plan to spend $1500 at TS restaurants and lounges
I think the math is more like 750. The card costs 150 and then there’s the 20% discount. It is good for 13 months from date if purchase. This year we got it on March 1 and it expires April 30 2020. We have gotten tiw several years now. We always go to DW every March for two weeks. We are not park goers but do eat out almost every night, drink wine. For 4 of us we spend anywhere from 120 to close to 200 for dinner. So it pays for itself quickly. Yes we also have our dvc card which gives the 10% discount but including alcohol makes the difference plus the extra 10% discount.

We are new to both AP and TIW. We used our TIW card this May for our 8 day trip and came out ahead in just one trip. We're planning 2 more before it expires, so I would say that if you eat and drink on property, then it's worth getting it. We asked everywhere if they take it and sometimes resort bar locations would take it. It also makes it easier to pay, because they add the tip in for you. Just pay the bill and go.

The TIW card pays for itself quickly if you eat enough table service; it's better for us because we will visit at least 25 days (even a low estimate puts us over $2k on food at that point) while it's active, and DH orders at least one or two cocktails with dinners (again, AP discount does not include alcohol). An often overlooked benefit of TIW is that a few of the main dining area in the hotels accept it. For instance, POFQ's and POP's breakfast restaurants do, and there is no gratuity added for the counter service options.

The AP discounts add up fast and pay for the pass quickly.

Thank you for all the information, it's been really helpful! I wasn't banking on using any room discount, only because every time we've ever been to WDW there hasn't been any really offered. But this next trip would be in May and this year they had some. I'm not counting that in the case they aren't offered for the room my family wants next year . I was only using the ticket, park hopper and memory maker and the 20% off stores as the savings when I was running the numbers... and possibly DAH also, I saw they offered them for May this year, so if they were available next year. I would book those too.

I think a big part of the money saving would be at TS meals. My DH wants TS at almost every meal, but if character dining doesn't allow the discount, then that would change the amount I could save..... do character meals get the discount?

Last edited:
do character meals get the discount?

I can't say for sure that all of them do but there are definitely some restaurants listed such as CRT, Tusker House, CP, Chef Mickey's. Since they are all character dining for all meals, there are definitely ones that do.

I think a big part of the money saving would be at TS meals. My DH wants TS at almost every meal, but if character dining doesn't allow the discount, then that would change the amount I could save..... do character meals get the discount?
It depends on the restaurant, but you will be able to get either an AP or a TIW discount at most. Tuskar House is TIW, I know. That's the only character meal we do; trips are mostly me and DH only.
Here's a link to the TIW locations. https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/faq/restaurants/tables-in-wonderland-restaurants/

I think the math is more like 750. The card costs 150 and then there’s the 20% discount. It is good for 13 months from date if purchase. This year we got it on March 1 and it expires April 30 2020. We have gotten tiw several years now. We always go to DW every March for two weeks. We are not park goers but do eat out almost every night, drink wine. For 4 of us we spend anywhere from 120 to close to 200 for dinner. So it pays for itself quickly. Yes we also have our dvc card which gives the 10% discount but including alcohol makes the difference plus the extra 10% discount.

I think why people suggest $1250-1500 as break even is that the AP by itself gets you a 10% discount at many places to begin with, so the TIW only gets you 10% more. Yes, alcohol is included in TIW, and not with AP, so that’s why there’s wiggle room to the break even point.

ETA: List of current AP discounts: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/passholder-program/passholder-benefits-and-discounts/

I would be booking hotel and ticket packages on MDE for me, DH, DD, DD. If I booked us all at once and I have the AP, does it take my ticket price off the booking of the package or does it now work that way?

You have two choices. Book the package then upgrade your ticket, OR call to book a “ticketless package.” Get the family's tickets from wherever you like, and get your AP.

I saw that you can get a discount on DAH, does that only apply to the AP holder, or does it apply to 3 other people too?

Discounts apply to those you’re paying for (if there’s a limit it should say so, but three extra people will be fine).

I believe we would come out ahead based on all the table service meals we do, the memory maker, the discounts at stores and when I take the cost of the day tickets for me off the package.

For the AP that works.

Since the AP does have some dining discounts, it makes the savings with TIW harder, because it halves the benefit of the restaurant offers both AP and TIW discount.

This is a great chart showing what places have what discounts. http://allears.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/disc_dining.pdf

With four people eating mostly TS meals the TIW will pay for itself very quickly. From what you stated getting an AP and TIW makes sense for your trip. Some of the resaurants in the Swan and Dolphin also take TIW. Book a room only with an AP discount and buy tickets separately. There is an app called MousePerks that lists all the discounts, dining and shopping, for AP DVC TIW, and Disney Visa. I use it every trip.

Be aware of any blockout dates with TiW as well. AP discounted is generally excepted at most places even on major holidays.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter