Yes, We Changed Our ADR'S Again...I've Lost Count: A May 2011 Pre-Trip Report

PolynesianLily

Peace, Love, Disney World
A May 2011 Pre-Trip Report!

Before I get into anything in my pre-trip report I would first like to say "HAPPY NEW YEAR" to you all. I hope you have a fun filled, joyful year with as little stress as possible. So what did you all do for New Years? Anyone have any trips planned for 2011? Anyone besides me?

I would also like to welcome those lurkers. I don't bite, I promise it would be a joy and a pleasure to have you all here, reading my pre-trip report. So without further ado...LETS GET THIS PARTY STARTED!

Chapter 1A: The Introduction (The Bare Necessities)

Welcome to my pre-trip report! I thought since we are approaching the double digits (and rather quickly), I would start a pre-trip report. I wanted to start one when we booked but I thought a pre-trip report created 10 months in advance would be a bit much?

There is so much I need to say about this upcoming trip that I have no clue as to where I should start.

Hmm? Oh right the trip information. Yes I think that is rather important!
Travel Dates: Saturday, April 30th 2011 to Sunday, May 8th 2011
Hotel of Stay: Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort and Spa
Number of People Travelling: 3

We are travelling from Canada so we pretty much only have 2 airlines to choose from that make direct trips to Orlando that we are familiar with. Of course one of those airlines we are rather not very fond of because of their seating arrangements. The other airline that we have chosen to fly with, WestJet, allows you to choose your seat and there is none of this ‘first class’ business on the flight where all the seats are the same price and class. Where with WestJet you can actually choose rows 1-5 which is preferable for us because of issues with claustrophobia. I will be talking a bit more about the flight and the flight mystery…yes I said MYSTERY later on in this pre-trip report.

For now we shall discuss the people of this trip, for we are what makes up this trip…we are your entertainment…seriously just stick around and you will see!!!

We will now play a little introduction game…Disney style. Don’t you just love those introduction games? I use to have to do them, and still do in school where you are asked your name, where you are from and something interesting about yourself. I always find trying to think of something interesting about myself to be quite difficult. Now what does that say about me?

Well we are all from Canada, and as for our ages well, that will remain unknown :)

Me
Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror
Favorite Character: Winnie the Pooh
Favorite Thing to Do in Disney/About Disney: Go on rides, eat yummy Disney food, take lots of pictures, and spend time with family!

Mom
Favorite Ride: Splash Mountain
Favorite Character: Minnie Mouse
Favorite Thing to Do in Disney/About Disney: Walk into each park for the first time on the trip and rediscovering each park (sights, sounds, smells etc). Loves the road signs in WDW (the colors etc).

Dad
Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror / Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Favorite Character: Cruella DeVil & Frollo
Favorite Thing to Do in Disney/About Disney: Everything / same as what I said and looking forward to the days activities and the meals that we have planned.

Hey I have an idea! If you are reading this pre-trip report, why not post and introduce yourself in the way that we did (or not if you do not want to). Anyways, keep an eye out for another update later on today or early tomorrow!! I will also be doing some trivia and fun facts that I have learned along the way!

CHAPTER LINKS
Chapter 1A: The Introduction
Chapter 1B: The Introduction
Chapter 1C: The Introduction
Chapter 2: The Tale of the Missing Flight
Chapter 3: New Bookings!
Chapter 4: It's Less than 3 Months Now!!!
Chapter 5: Updating Our Updated ADR's!
Chapter 6: Yes...We Changed It Again
Chapter 7: We Added Something New!!
Chapter 8: Changes...Part 2?
Chapter 9: Changes...Part 3?

Welcome back to those of you who have joined me...or are perhaps lurking! To those who are lurking (if anyone is), please say hello! So it has been a few days since I last updated or started my pre-trip report. Before I can tell you my short little story about what has happened these past couple of days I need to get you all up to speed!

Quick Update: Last night my family and I watched "James Bond: The Quantum of Solace" and my mom pointed out that Judi Dench (who played 'M') was the new narrator of Spaceship Earth. While she is a good actress, I however am not that fond of her voice in Spaceship Earth. I don't know why but I just liked the man's voice better. I guess I am not that well adjusted to change, but it's hard to explain.

This chapter or update will be all about how this trip came to be. This is the most important part of the pre-trip report because it provides you with an explanation of why we are going on this vacation to WDW and how it came to be. So without further ado, let's get started!

Chapter 1B: The Introduction (The How and the Why)

In order to understand the how and the why of this trip we need to take a journey all the way back to May 2010. We had just returned from our trip to Disney and while on the trip we were alright with skipping a year, once we got back we quickly changed our minds. Skipping a year seems better when you already have a trip planned/booked, but when you don't skipping a year seems like forever and forever is too long.

It was a flip flop of 'we will go' to 'we won't go' until finally we decided that we will go. Yes, we will return to WDW in February 2011.

Wait a minute...FEBRUARY?! But I thought this was a May 2011 pre-trip report.

Well it is, just...patience. This brings me to the next part of how this trip came to be. With me being in school it is difficult to choose a proper time to go to WDW. We decided to go in February because of the weather in Canada. The weather is quite...ugly in February so we thought that going to Florida on my reading week would be a nice treat. But alas, we ultimately thought the plan over and figured out that maybe perhaps May would be the best time to go.

Why May?

Well because although the weather might be nice here, it hasn't been in the past. Last year when we went to WDW the weather in my town was different. With snow and torrential downpours we were happy we chose to go to Disney when we did. Also there is the Flower and Garden Festival! With beautiful flowers and topiaries at Epcot, it is a wonderful time to go and see the flowers and plants that we cannot grow in Canada because of the climate etc. Going to Disney in May is a nice way to end the school year as well as a nice treat for surviving winter (yes we need that little pick-me-up).

I am pretty sure that is the shortest version I could possibly give of how this trip came to be. But of course I am missing something else...something key. Why yes...WHY did we choose the Grand Floridian to stay at? Why not the Polynesian? Well...there are quite a few explanations for that.

We love the Polynesian. It's just this year we will love the Polynesian from across the Seven Seas Lagoon. The Grand Floridian just seems like a nice place to stay at, and it looks like it would be a clean hotel. That is a little bit cleaner than the Polynesian. We have had issues with the cleanliness of our room before, and trust me we are not picky people. We thought that we would give the Grand Floridian a try, and maybe perhaps go back to the Polynesian someday (please be soon).

The Polynesian will always have a special place in my heart, no matter where we stay. That resort is beautiful and every time that I look at my pictures of the Polynesian I feel at home. The music, the atmosphere, everything there is so beautiful and cozy. But who knows, maybe I will equally love the Grand Floridian. I am just lucky to have been able to go to Disney as many times as I have.

I think that I have done enough talking (typing) and it is time to show you all some lovely pictures! The following pictures I took on our recent trip to WDW in May 2010. These pictures will be of two different places: 1. The Polynesian and 2. The Epcot Flower and Garden Festival. Enjoy!

DSCF1800.jpg

DSCF1794.jpg

DSCF1747.jpg

DSCF1745.jpg

DSCF1735.jpg

I am joining in!! We are also going in May. This will be our first trip to WDW. I can't wait to read more!!

Terri

PS. I am first!! Woohoo! I have never been first on a report before!!

I am joining in!! We are also going in May. This will be our first trip to WDW. I can't wait to read more!!

Terri

PS. I am first!! Woohoo! I have never been first on a report before!!

WELCOME!!!!!!
I'm so excited to have you along on my pre-trip report!!! When are you going in May? Are you super excited for your trip?! First trip = woohoo!

Joining in! New to the boards and getting ready to post my first pre-trip report! Love reading them all!

Joining in! New to the boards and getting ready to post my first pre-trip report! Love reading them all!
Welcome!!!
So glad to have you here!

Welcome to the boards as well - whenever you post your first pre-trip report I will be certain to read it and join in as well!!

WELCOME!!!!!!
I'm so excited to have you along on my pre-trip report!!! When are you going in May? Are you super excited for your trip?! First trip = woohoo!

We are going May 1-10th! We are staying at Pop. We decided that for our first trip, we would rather stay at Pop and have a longer trip.

I am so excited!! I am going to make our own autograph books, passports, shirts, etc. And this weekend we are going to do our first Disney Movie night! Ok, maybe I am a little too excited. :rotfl:

We are going May 1-10th! We are staying at Pop. We decided that for our first trip, we would rather stay at Pop and have a longer trip.

I am so excited!! I am going to make our own autograph books, passports, shirts, etc. And this weekend we are going to do our first Disney Movie night! Ok, maybe I am a little too excited. :rotfl:
There is NEVER such thing as being too excited! I love going to WDW in May, it is always so beautiful (and warm). Sounds like you have a lot to do to prepare for your trip! It's not too far away!! What movie are you planning on watching for the Disney movie night?

Welcome back to those of you who have joined me on my PTR. I appreciate you joining in, and it is a pleasure to have you all here reading this.

DSCF1875.jpg

DSCF1873.jpg

Winter hasn't even been here for a month and already I am sick of it. It's too cold, and I keep thinking that in 114 days I will be in sunny Orlando Florida! I always like to think about what I will be doing in xxx days, and for today it is what I will be doing in 114 days. So let's see...in 114 days I will be waiting at the Toronto Pearson International Airport to get our boarding passes checked or maybe even in the security line.

So for today's update I will be posting our plans for the trip! Woohoo. Now these plans are tentative and knowing us they will be changing. Without further ado, let's get started!

Chapter 1C: The Introduction (The Plans)
Saturday, April 30 2011 - The Arrival Day
Lunch: Grand Floridian Cafe @ 1:55pm
Afternoon: Arrival Day/Explore the Grand Floridian/Magic Kingdom
Dinner: Garden View Tea Lounge @ 4:50pm
Evening: Magic Kingdom or Epcot

Sunday, May 1 2011
Breakfast: Grand Floridian Cafe @ 7:30am
Park: Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Lunch: Backlot Express
Dinner: Cape May Cafe Buffet @ 5:50pm

Monday, May 2 2011
Breakfast: 1900 Park Fare @ 8:00am
Park: Epcot
Lunch: Les Chefs De France @ 1:30pm

Tuesday, May 3 2011
Park: Magic Kingdom
Lunch: Egg Roll Wagon & Aloha Isle

Wednesday, May 4 2011
Breakfast: The Wave @ 8:00am

Thursday, May 5 2011
Breakfast: Cape May Cafe Buffet @ 8:00am
Park: Animal Kingdom
Lunch: Pizzafari
Dinner: Downtown Disney

Friday, May 6 2011
Lunch: Grand Floridian Cafe @ 1:00pm

Saturday, May 7 2011
Breakfast: Kona Cafe @ 7:30am
Lunch: Sunshine Seasons
Dinner: Captain Cook's

Sunday, May 8 2011

Our first movie will be Mulan. We are going to do up homemade egg rolls and lo mein. We have to chopsticks and chinese lanterns.

I noticed that we will be at Chefs de France on the 2nd too. Our ADR is for 12:30 though.

Can't wait to hear more.

Terri

Welcome back to those of you who have joined me. I apologize for my absence and my lack of PTR updates. Since the new semester of school has just started I am finding myself swamped with assignments etc. All I keep thinking to myself is: Disney is so close...so so close.

How close is our trip? Well its 103 days away!! When you think about it that is not that far away considering that time seems to pass by really fast.

I would also like to apologize in advance if there are a couple of days where I do not post any updates. It just depends on if I get a lot of my readings done for the week early etc.

Chapter 2: The Tale of the Missing Flight

I think that it is about time that I told you about the disappearing flight. So a couple of weekends ago we decided to go ahead and book our flight because it seemed as though the prices were not going to be coming down. I checked the airfare once or twice every weekend from September until December and once the price to fly to Orlando went up, it never came back down.

Another reason why we decided to book the flight when we did was because of the seat availability. One of those who will be travelling with us prefers to sit up near the front of the plane (claustrophobia) and that is understandable. So once we saw what seats were available (row 2) we decided that we had to book. So yes, we booked the flight at the amazingly expensive price, but you know what I am actually glad that we booked it when we did.

The following morning (after we booked the flight) I decided to check to see if the prices came down. I always have this feeling that as soon as you decide to do something it changes for the better. So I typed all the information in and clicked search.

I waited...I waited...I waited.

Oh there we go, there was the flight page finally...oh but wait. What is this? There is only 1 flight listed as going TO Orlando and it leaves at 8:00pm? But the flight number is not the same as the flight that we booked...and the time is ohhh 12 hours too late?

WHERE IS OUR FLIGHT?!?!?!??!?!

In a mad panic I searched the site and found that our flight still does exist they just arn't selling it anymore...when there were more than 3/4 of the seats left to sell.

Yes, and to this day our flight still has not appeared to be for sale. It is a mystery. So that is ultimately why I am glad that we booked when we did. We were going to call to see about this but I guess we will just wait and see. Maybe it will re-appear someday? That would be comforting :)

Disney World...sigh just saying that makes me smile. I cannot possibly wait 103 more days. Wait...103 more days? That means that we will be in the double digits in 4 days! That is amazing considering that when we originally booked the trip we still have well over 200 days to wait. Time really does fly...

[ This was a short update ].

Well this is going to be a fun update to give since today (Jan. 22 2011) we made some new bookings for our trip. So sit back, relax and enjoy this update as I take you along on our journey to our WDW vacation!
Chapter 3: New Bookings!

So today we decided to check out Alamo, just to see if the prices were still the same. I entered all of the appropriate information and wouldn't you know it the prices for the rental cars went down by about $20.00 or more. With our WestJet coupon we saved over $100 from what the price previously was like a week ago. We decided to book Alamo today because it was pretty close to the price that we got for our previous trip, and we were satisfied with that price for the car. So what did we end up booking? Well we booked a full size car which happens to be an Impala. The last trip we had a bunch of car color choices to choose from. Yes, there was white...and white...oh did I mention white? Of course some of those white cars had black dents on them...or all of them did? By the time we choose a car i'm ready to head off of the airport property and get moving to WDW. :thumbsup2

Impatient...yes I am.

Well we booked something else today as well. Does anyone else hear that WINNIE THE POOH music? Could we have booked...the Crystal Palace?! I think we did...why yes, we did! We booked Crystal Palace for Friday May 6. Woohoo! I am so excited. We booked it for lunch and after seeing some pictures of the food I think that this was a good idea!

Did I mention that it is also less than 100 days until Disney? I cannot believe that we have made it this far. I am super excited because that means that the trip really isn't that far away. We will hit the 90 day mark soon which means that it will be 3 months until the trip...which is an odd thought.

There is so much to do, but so little time. I will try to do a few more updates this week but I am preparing for my mid-terms. I want to thank you all for joining me on my pre-trip report, it means so much to me.

Welcome back to those of you who are joining me on my pre-trip report. I hope that you are all having a fantastic new year so far. I also hope that the weather is not too bad wherever you all may be. Where I am, in Ontario, we are having a 'Blizzard' so my university is closed today. I thought that in honor of this snow day I would take the time to write a update for the PTR. Woohoo!

Chapter 4: It's Less Than 3 Months Now!​

Well we have made some changes to our dining reservations. I will post a new list of all of our ADR's because I think it would be too confusing to just say what we have changed. So let's take a look!

Lunch: Grand Floridian Cafe @ 1:55pm
Afternoon: Arrival Day/Explore the Grand Floridian/Magic Kingdom

Sunday, May 1 2011

Monday, May 2 2011
Breakfast: 1900 Park Fare @ 8:00am

Tuesday, May 3 2011
Lunch: Egg Roll Wagon & Aloha Isle

Wednesday, May 4 2011
Breakfast: Kona Cafe @ 7:35am
Lunch: Sci-Fi Dine In

Thursday, May 5 2011
Breakfast: Cape May Cafe Buffet @ 8:00am
Lunch: Pizzafari
Dinner: Downtown Disney

Friday, May 6 2011
Lunch: The Crystal Palace @ 1:00pm

Saturday, May 7 2011
Breakfast: Kona Cafe @ 7:30am
Lunch: Grand Floridian Cafe @ 1:45pm

Sunday, May 8 2011

DSCF1661.jpg

If somebody were to ask me what I am thinking of right now, I would tell them Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. We always love to sit right near the back of BTMRR simply because it feels like it is faster which in turn makes the ride a little more interesting with all those bumps and turns.

Hurry up Disney trip but wait...or at least...well if the trip hurries up than that means it will be gone sooner and I am not ready for that. It seems like each day goes by so quickly. There are only 82 days left. I love saying that...it's less than 100!!

So the last time I told you all that we were not going to change our ADR's and ... that might have been a little white lie? I didn't know that this was going to happen. But anyways, here is the new list of ADR'S!!

Lunch: Grand Floridian Cafe
Afternoon: Check In, Get Food, Relax/Explore
Dinner: Garden View Tea Lounge

Sunday, May 1 2011
Breakfast: Grand Floridian Cafe
Dinner: Cape May Cafe Buffet

Monday, May 2 2011
Breakfast: 1900 Park Fare
Lunch: Les Chefs De France

Tuesday, May 3 2011
Dinner: Earl of Sandwich
Evening: Wishes Dessert Party

Wednesday, May 4 2011
Breakfast: Kona Cafe

Thursday, May 5 2011
Breakfast: Cape May Cafe Buffet
Lunch: Flame Tree Barbecue

Friday, May 6 2011
Lunch: Liberty Tree Tavern

Saturday, May 7 2011
Lunch: Biergarten

Sunday, May 8 2011 - The Departure Day

We are going to have to do A LOT of walking in order to get rid of whatever we gain from the buffets. I am so excited that we are doing Biergarten this year. We tried it for the first time last year and loved it! I especially enjoyed the Pretzel Rolls and the Bavarian Cheesecake. Quite frankly, it was a very nice and cool place to eat and take a break from the sun. I think this year I might try a few new food items!

DSCF1575.jpg

DSCF1845.jpg

Well, I decided to change the title of this PTR because I thought that the new title would be more suiting towards what we are doing as we count down the days until Disney! So let's see...did we change our ADR's again?

If you said YES...well then you are CORRECT! We've decided to take away Crystal Palace on Friday, May 6th but instead we are going to the Liberty Tree Tavern. We were thinking that perhaps LTT has a few more food choices that speak to us in comparison to the Crystal Palace.

Regardless there are officially 80 days until the trip! I cannot believe how close it is!!! :goodvibes

DSCF1817.jpg

So yes, we added a new ADR for our trip. What did we add? We added the Wishes Dessert Party!! Although it is $21.99 per person, we thought that we would just try it and judging from the pictures I think we made the correct decision. Plus now I get to take pictures of the Magic Kingdom at night! Woohoo!! You know what I am thinking about right now? Well take a look at the photo down below! Why yes, it is a Mickey Mouse Waffle. Why yes, it tasted magnificent! I will be having a few more of these on our trip. I'm hoping that they have the smaller ones at the breakfast buffets that we will be going to.

DSCF1807.jpg

So for the past couple of nights I have been watching Youtube videos of the TTA. I really liked the old audio, but you know what you can't change what is already changed right? I mean the old audio was funny, but the new audio is cool too. I still really like the TTA, its a great way to preview the Tomorrowland attractions and as the audio says: "The peoplemover is good for people watching. So keep your eyes open because you never know who you might see".

So what is your favorite attraction?

DSCF1835.jpg

So we've decided to re-arrange our ADR's once again. But this time it makes a lot more sense. I mean we were going to Cape May Cafe and Les Chef De France on the same day. That would be a silly idea because they both can be considered to be "bigger" meals.

We also changed some ADR's to accommodate going to the park earlier. We would like to ride Test Track without a long wait or a fastpass, so if we get to the park earlier than we can do this with ease.

Saturday, April 30 2011

Sunday, May 1 2011

Monday, May 2 2011

Tuesday, May 3 2011

Wednesday, May 4 2011

Thursday, May 5 2011

Friday, May 6 2011
Breakfast: Captain Cook's Snack Company

Saturday, May 7 2011

DSCF1588.jpg

So we have decided to skip the Wishes Dessert Party for this trip. The reason for this is because the park closes at 9:00pm and we would like to be out of the park before the mad dash to the monorail begins. Since our ADR was for 8:05pm, we thought that we should not risk getting trampled by the crowds and have a dessert somewhere else.

Could it possibly be at:
a. Beaches and Cream
b. Ghiradelli's Soda Fountain & Chocolate Shop
c. Goofy's Candy Company
d. Main Street Confectionary

Who knows and time will tell! However, we do have another dilemma. We were thinking of not going to 1900 Park Fare, but we were also thinking about going to Boma on Thursday. We don't know if we should go to Boma or not. We used to like it there, but the last time we were there in 2008 we did see some negative aspects of the buffet and that made us decide to not go back for a little while.

We still havn't decided what to do about Boma. I told my mom that if I dream of a certain place to eat tonight than that would be where we would go. Who knows if that will actually happen. Plus frunch is sounding really, really good to me right now!

More food pictures!!

DSCF0219.jpg

Pictured: Oreo Bon Bon, Berry Cheesecake with Chocolate Decor, Mickey Vanilla Cupcake

DSCF0217.jpg

Pictured: Key Lime Tart with Chocolate Decor, Berry Cheesecake with Chocolate Decor, Banana Nut Square

The Current Trip Countdown: 74 days!!!

Here are our update meals (I would promise that this is a final update for our meals, but I am not so sure about that.)

Saturday, April 30 2011

Sunday, May 1 2011

Monday, May 2 2011

Tuesday, May 3 2011

Wednesday, May 4 2011

Thursday, May 5 2011
Breakfast: Gasparilla Grill and Games

Friday, May 6 2011

Saturday, May 7 2011
Breakfast: Captain Cook's Snack Company

Ok, so let me tell you a story. The other day (Sunday, February 13) we decided to book Boma for breakfast thinking it was a good idea since we had not eaten there for approximately 3 years. However, after having a discussion last night we decided to cancel Boma on the grounds of that we feel there is nothing there that is 'special' or that can justify paying $25.00 per person. We are already going to one breakfast buffet which is Cape May Cafe. Cape May Cafe seems to have some really good options, and comparing Boma to Cape May Cafe we really didn't think Boma would be worth it.

Instead we will be eating breakfast at our hotel's food court. That way we can head off to Animal Kingdom in a timely manner since it is our only day at that park. If we had a buffet we probably would not get to the park until after 9:00am and we would like to be there as close to 9am as possible.

I hope that these current ADR's stay the same. I really don't see anything else that we can change to make our meal plans any better. I won't promise that they will stay the same though, because I might end up breaking my promise.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter