Yesterday at Magic Kingdom - 4/3/16

This is not good. I visit Disneyland more then DW but am headed that way in june. In February at Disneyland the bathrooms were as clean as ever. Here I have always noticed an attendant in the bathrooms full time. I can't remember not seeing one going in or out. This is one of the reasons I love Disney parks. Hope they get the act together.

We were at AK today, which was fairly busy and the bathrooms were pristine. So does this mean it's a MK problem?

Let me start off by saying that I'm the furthest thing from a nay sayer on DIS and find myself rolling my eyes at many "exaggerated posts" on this board - but after spending 14 hours at MK yesterday I have to say that the cutbacks are def showing in a few areas - primarily the bathrooms!!

Yes I know it's peak time - MK was a 7 out of 10 - but EVERY bathroom we used, both male and female, were disgusting! I don't mean dirty - I mean disgusting!!

I travel alot and have seen some pretty dirty airport bathrooms, and that's how I describe what we saw yesterday.

Come on Disney -you're not my local 6 Flags - clean up your act!

Mic drop....

That is one thing that I always noticed about DW was it's bathrooms. No matter how busy they were the bathrooms were always neat. What a shame. I would write a complaint.

People tend to keep a clean bathroom clean. A dirty bathroom seems to attract bad habits by guests.

Not really. Where I work we share a bathroom with the public. I have seen where the cleaning staff has just finished cleaning, and a customer will walk out of the stall, wash their hands, and toss the paper onto the ground. Entitled slobs are entitled slobs. "But they pay someone to clean up after me!'

I've been going to WDW since 1975 and back then the bathroom in the MK was spotless! They always had a bathroom attendant in there cleaning stalls and countertops and refilling toilet paper and paper towels. I have found with the park expansions and increased attendants, Disney has almost given up on trying to keep the bathrooms clean at all times but I do have to say that the people that go to Disney Parks now are total slobs!!! I don't understand how anyone can leave a stall and not flush after using it. I constantly find pee on the toilet seats and toilet seat covers stuck to them. Guests are paying a lot of money to get into Disney parks nowadays and we deserve to have spotless bathrooms and if that means that Disney has to incur the costs of having more than one person on duty for larger bathrooms than that's what they should be doing!

I've been going to WDW since 1975 and back then the bathroom in the MK was spotless! They always had a bathroom attendant in there cleaning stalls and countertops and refilling toilet paper and paper towels. I have found with the park expansions and increased attendants, Disney has almost given up on trying to keep the bathrooms clean at all times but I do have to say that the people that go to Disney Parks now are total slobs!!! I don't understand how anyone can leave a stall and not flush after using it. I constantly find pee on the toilet seats and toilet seat covers stuck to them. Guests are paying a lot of money to get into Disney parks nowadays and we deserve to have spotless bathrooms and if that means that Disney has to incur the costs of having more than one person on duty for larger bathrooms than that's what they should be doing!

But I think we all know if they decide to add more attendants to the bathrooms Disney just won't "incur the costs". That cost will be passed right along to us the guests. Me, rather than that I wish people could learn to go without making a mess all over the seats, learn to flush, and not throw their papers onto the floor.

There were reports of dirty bathrooms last year. The understaffing of cleaning bathrooms is not new.

Funny thing is though that after all of that hubub about the bathrooms I took a trip to WDW. And the bathrooms were by and large very clean. Again, I think a lot of it is timing. Sometimes you go in right after a bunch of slobs were in and made a mess. Sometimes you go in right as they are cleaning.

I never dispute anyone's reported experience on these boards, you saw what you said you saw and experienced what you reported. We go from 8 to 11 days per trip and once or twice per visit I'll run into a restroom in need of a cleaning but so far never consistently bad all trip long as mentioned here, just lucky I guess. Our last visit was last Oct.

Bill From PA

Don't get me started on this issue! People! If you're going to put toilet paper on the toilet seat, please remove and flush it before you leave the stall! This is one of my pet peeves! I do not know how anyone can clean a public bathroom, especially at WDW! If your child makes a mess, CLEAN IT UP! Just because someone else gets paid to do it, doesn't mean you aren't responsible for the messes you make! ARGHHHHHHHH!

We've been 3 times this past year, most recently in February . Maybe it was the lower-ish crowds (even low crowds are crowded) that made the difference, but I can't think of any restroom that stands out as particularly dirty. Smell is another thing - they can't really help that. I can't remember every RR I went in, but I'd say almost all of them had a CM attending to it. But, you know, that's not to say that I didn't find a stall or two with drips on the seat or TP on the floor - even with an attendant physically in the RR. I don't think much about it, other than "yuck, can't people turn around and check when they finish?" because I figure they work methodically and will be back around to clean it fairly soon.

I don't understand how it can be so inconsistent that people report widely different experiences. That doesn't speak well for management. Do they beef it up after a wave of complaints and then it starts slacking again after a period of no complaints? Again, that's bad management and supervision. Could it be the higher crowd times make it very difficult to keep on top of? If that's true, more crowds mean more money flowing into the parks even with cuts surely they could afford to hire some temps or give out some extra shifts. (yeah, right...I know)

Just got back from a trip in March (Spring Break) - every restroom encountered was clean but didn't see an attendent in the restroom as I have in the past.

Just like so many other things that people complain about, this all starts with the lack of respect that some people have for others. If everyone was respectful, we would have cleaner bathrooms and less issues with people getting run over, cut in line, children running around and screaming uncontrolled, etc. Disney can certainly staff the bathrooms better, but we can't expect them to clean each stall after someone uses it. If someone leaves a stall a mess when it's your turn to use it next, nicely call them out for it. Perhaps they forgot to flush, but if they leave the seat wet or with tons of paper on the seat, that is nothing but intentional.

Totally agree. A messy bathroom is not Disney's fault. It is not Disney making the mess. It is the people who are using it that are making the mess. It is a lack of consideration for others. Adults who don't clean up after themselves are the most egregious example. But, parents who let their children use the bathrooms, unsupervised are at fault, too.

This issue is the same as people not moving to the end of the row in a theater, putting kids on shoulders during a parade, taking flash pictures on a dark ride, or parents who let their children make a mess at a restaurant and expect someone else to clean it up, etc. Because of the huge demand for the Disney experience, the costs, the efforts to plan, the crowds, people feel entitled to the ultimate experience and they justify their selfish behavior.

Pete on the podcast had a rant about this a few months ago. If I remember correctly, the suggestion was to take to social media to get Disney to listen. Dirty restrooms are unacceptable!

This is not good. I visit Disneyland more then DW but am headed that way in june. In February at Disneyland the bathrooms were as clean as ever. Here I have always noticed an attendant in the bathrooms full time. I can't remember not seeing one going in or out. This is one of the reasons I love Disney parks. Hope they get the act together.

We were just at DLR in late March, and used the rest rooms in both DCA and DL. While I did notice an attendant in some, they were not present in others. In every bathroom we entered, at least half the stalls were unacceptable (because of a large amount of drips/"streaks"/blood on the seat, the bowl completely full and not flushed, TP/etc all over the floor,...). Luckily, we were able to find at least one stall that was ok during each trip to the bathroom (and there were many with four young kids in our group). As a side note, I didn't see any major differences in cleanliness/maintenance between WDW and DLR, even though I was looking for it (since people so often assert that DLR is cleaner and better maintained).

I think it must be luck of the draw. Last May, we didn't notice any really filthy bathrooms at WDW. Again, there were dirty stalls, but we never had to just turn around and leave without using the facilities. Hopefully things haven't gone down hill from then; next summer, if I notice facilities in need of a cleaning, I'll try to do a better job of alerting a CM or going to guest services (if there is an overall problem).

As everyone has discussed, the issue is a combo of dirty people and understaffed Disney. Maybe if we can make it a point to do our half (and encourage others to do there half), the it wouldn't be so hard for Disney? I'm SO not saying "oh, poor poor Disney", but rather, folks, clean your stuff up and suggest that others do the same. Like, wipe down the baby changing area (which I do b/c it's full of germs anyway) and deposit your stuff in proper trash areas. Women - don't hover if you don't know how, or bring baby wipes or flushible wipes to wipe toilet seats if that's your thing. Guys - aim. Babies - ask your mommy to change you not in the middle of the street or on a table, but in the proper changing area or baby center. If some guest leaves there junk out, just pick it up. (and then look at them meanly :rolleyes1). It's OK to clean up others tables (really, I did it), or ask someone to wipe stuff down. Again, I used to work at DHS, and I picked up stuff all the time, even though I was attractions, not custodial. My managers and even the manager of the park picked up trash. I'm not saying to be a custodial staff - we are tourists after all! But a little help and a little neatness from us all can go a long way and maybe we can pass it on.

Tell guest services or custodial that a particular area is messy - often times, they don't know. Like in attractions, we didn't know that part of the queue was messy. (or, if you are in the queue line and someone drops something, I love picking it up and telling the litterer "Hey, you dropped (whatever)!" It helps cast members to know and then they can address the issue.

This bums me because I used to be a custodian in the MK (back in 2004). I took great pride in guests telling me how clean my rest rooms were. I'm wondering how they assign the bathrooms now. Back then we would each have two main bathrooms (occasionally three), as well as one or two cast member ones.

Restroom at the Commissary was absolutely disgusting in August and December last year. Believe me, it wasn't about untidiness. Rank foul smelling hold your breath and get out. Not sure how guests could eat anywhere near the place.

Don't get me started on this issue! People! If you're going to put toilet paper on the toilet seat, please remove and flush it before you leave the stall! This is one of my pet peeves! I do not know how anyone can clean a public bathroom, especially at WDW! If your child makes a mess, CLEAN IT UP! Just because someone else gets paid to do it, doesn't mean you aren't responsible for the messes you make! ARGHHHHHHHH!

I totally agree with you on this but here's what happened to me. My dd who was 6 at the time threw up on the floor in the middle of the bathroom near Soarin. I got paper towels and started wiping it up when the lady who was cleaning the bathroom came in and saw me cleaning. She had a mini heart attack and told me I couldn't clean it, it was her job. I was like, my kid, my deal but she wouldn't let me do it. I felt she was worried about losing her job if someone saw me doing it. I felt bad about the whole situation.

I don't get the whole lining of toilet paper on the toilet seat and leaving it there. Last year at Disney I was waiting in line to use the washroom and I walked to a stall as it opened up. A woman and her young son had just walked out. I gasped out loud at the sight I encountered. It looked like they had a toilet paper party. Toilet paper was still all over the seat, all over the floor and toilet was completely clogged with paper. :confused:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter