Yet another How do you say: caramel?

I say them interchangeably.

There is a town around here named Carmel, its pronounced car-mel.

We have a beer, where I work, Carmel Wheat (brand originated in the Carmel/Monterey area) and I can not tell you how often people ask if it has CARAMEL in the beer or say that you can taste the CARAMEL. Because most here say Car-muhl and do not pronounce the second A they don't even realize that it is spelled differently.

CAR-muhl. The other pronunciation grates my ears.

LOL- my daughter works at a candy store that specializes in caramel products and when someone comes in and says CAR-muhl- the workers always say something like "what type of ca-ra-mel- product would you like" My daughter comes home sometimes ranting about "2 people pronounced it wrong today I can't stand when they say CAR-muhl-the second A isn't there just for show!" LOL....

I definitely grew up (in the 60s-70s) saying car-muhl. I now use both pronunciations. Kraft Caramels and caramel apples are most likely to be car-muhl. Sauce and chocolate coated candy is more likely to be care-a-mel. For a while, I thought that they were two different things. :)

LOL- my daughter works at a candy store that specializes in caramel products and when someone comes in and says CAR-muhl- the workers always say something like "what type of ca-ra-mel- product would you like" My daughter comes home sometimes ranting about "2 people pronounced it wrong today I can't stand when they say CAR-muhl-the second A isn't there just for show!" LOL....

But there are many words we use where some letters are just for show. LOL!

More importantly; How do they get the Care-a-mel in those little... you know. ;)

Last edited:
Care A Mel.

I've never understood the other pronunciation. There is an "A" in the middle. How do you just ignore that?

Care A Mel.

I've never understood the other pronunciation. There is an "A" in the middle. How do you just ignore that?

Then shouldn't your name be spelled: Christeen?

Sorry! I just couldn't resist. :lmao: :duck:

Care A Mel.

But there are a lot of words where some letters are silent.

February

salmon

opossum

indict

soften

handkerchief

lamb

Christmas

scissors

asthma

faux

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter