Yet ANOTHER Military Ticket Question...

bibbidibobbidibecky

The Fairy Godblogger
We need seven tickets: My Dad (the retiree), my Mom, myself, my husband and my three kids. I have read repeatedly that people with immediate family that exceeds the allowed number of tickets (six) will be allowed to purchase more.

Here is my question: What is considered immediate family? I have read conflicting reports on this. I have read children, grandchildren and only dependents. Any help is greatly appreciated! I'm happy for a discount on six of the seven tickets, but we are frugal people and getting all seven would obviously be even better :lmao:

TIA!

The exception applies to large families with more than 5 dependents.

From Cheshire Figment's wonderful ticket sticky on the Theme Park Strategies forum...

"As an exception, if the immediate family has more than five dependents, additional Tickets may be purchased, but not to exceed the number of dependents. If the immediate family has more than five dependents tickets may not be purchased for guests."

"Dependent" is defined as "...the spouse or other relative of a service member who has an ID card (DD Form 1173) which shows the service member as the sponsor."

So, unless your kids have DD1173's showing your dad as their sponsor, the exception would not apply to your family.

However, the program allows an eligible service member to purchase up to 12 special tickets over the life of the promotion, so if you can convince your Dad to purchase the extra ticket later that day... My understanding is that he can only purchase 6 at a time. I don't know how long he has to wait (if any) between purchases.

Go read it for yourself and decide if it might apply -- http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1452684&page=2 , post #17.

Thank you for your response! And that makes sense.

I do know only six are allowed to be used in a week (must be stored on a computer somewhere and attached to the tickets in some capacity).

We'll just buy my youngest a ticket, no biggie.

We need 7 tickets as well. We have already bought 2 of them but haven't had them activated yet. Can DH buy 5 more when we go in December but activate all 7 at one time?

We need 7 tickets as well. We have already bought 2 of them but haven't had them activated yet. Can DH buy 5 more when we go in December but activate all 7 at one time?

No, a maximum of 6 tickets can be activated at one time, unless as stated above, there are more than 5 dependents (you have 5 or more children plus a spouse plus the servicemember).

No, a maximum of 6 tickets can be activated at one time, unless as stated above, there are more than 5 dependents (you have 5 or more children plus a spouse plus the servicemember).

We do have 5 kids (6 dependents including me, the spouse) so there are 7 total in our immediate family including DH.

Is the DD1173 your DEERS form? I asked DH and he has no clue. :laughing:

The 1173 is the tan- (or red-) colored dependent ID card.

The 1173 is the tan- (or red-) colored dependent ID card.

Ok, mine is tan and the older 2 kids have theirs but the younger 3 are not old enough to have military dependent IDs yet (they are 9, 7 and 4). How do we prove all 5 kids are DH's dependents?

... your best bet would be to go to your local ITT with a travel agent or experienced Disney reservation agent and have them work through it with you. I had a friend with 4 kids and they were able to work some magic with their tickets but they worked with a TA experienced in military and Disney.

Disney doesn't actually handle the military discount tickets - they honor the promotion but it's actually the miltiary MWR who does the vouchers... a lot of times when you call, they'll refer you to other sources or answer tentatively.

If you can't get to an agent or your ITT is too small, you can call Shades of Green and speak with their ticketing rep -- very knowledgeable and should be able to answer your questions.

Hope that helps!!!:)

Ok, mine is tan and the older 2 kids have theirs but the younger 3 are not old enough to have military dependent IDs yet (they are 9, 7 and 4). How do we prove all 5 kids are DH's dependents?

I haven't been faced with that dilemma, but I'd guess that just like Florida resident younger children without FL ID, Disney will pretty much have to take your word for it. Cheshire Figment would have the definitive answer on that...

Two adults with five kids, three of which are under 10 ... I don't see many people doing that voluntarily just to "game" the ticket system. :laughing:

I haven't been faced with that dilemma, but I'd guess that just like Florida resident younger children without FL ID, Disney will pretty much have to take your word for it. Cheshire Figment would have the definitive answer on that...

Two adults with five kids, three of which are under 10 ... I don't see many people doing that voluntarily just to "game" the ticket system. :laughing:

Very true! :laughing:

I do have several friends who are high ranking, long term CMs that could vouch for us if needed. I could also bring our family Christmas card from last year showing all 7 of us in matching shirts along with our DEERS form.

I just don't want to leave home without whatever proof I need. We usually have a couple of APs in the group but have let them all expire for now since the military tickets were a better deal for our travel plans this year.

Thanks for the help.

I just don't want to leave home without whatever proof I need.

CF recommends having a list ready including all the kids' names and address (so they can load those into the system). And, of course, those over 10 should have their ID cards with them.

Maybe drag along a copy of the younger kids' birth certificates just in case...

Enjoy! The military discounts are a great perk, and I for one am very thankful Disney still provides it.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter