• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yeti in Expedition Everest

wdwfreeksince88

Only An Hour From The House Of Mouse
Has anyone heard anything recently about the Yeti? Was he working during the special event that was just held? The reason I ask is because we were there Sat for the first time since Dec. Back in Dec he was just there with the lights shining on him. But this past Sat he couldn't be seen at all. It was completely blacked out and looked like there was a wall up around him. Just wasn't sure if they are finally fixing him or if they are just ashamed that they haven't fixed him yet and are trying to hide him.

I haven't heard anything, but if there is a wall up, I have hope they are fixing him. It is sad that he hasn't been fixed, but even a not moving Yeti is better than a wall.

On our ABD trip in Feb we asked MANY people about this from Imagineers to AA people backstage at DL to Marty Sklar... all said the same thing pretty much, we are out of luck for the foreseeable future (and possibly longer) on getting it fixed. :(

As long as the attraction has long lines I don't think it will get fixed. There is no financial upside to spend the money since people are demonstrating they will still wait in line and ride even without it. Once the line starts to get shorter they may fix.

As long as the attraction has long lines I don't think it will get fixed. There is no financial upside to spend the money since people are demonstrating they will still wait in line and ride even without it. Once the line starts to get shorter they may fix.

Personally I don't think the vast majority even know it isn't working. I rode Everest with my sister who didn't know much about it and she thought the Yeti was very cool even though it didn't move a muscle. Same for my nephew, he was properly scared of it just standing still. I think maybe Disney doesn't want to remove Yeti to fix it (if that is what they would need to do) because standing still Yeti is better than no Yeti at all.

I remember Joe Rhode talking about building EE on some Disney program. He described having to build essentially three structures simultaneously. The mountain itself, the attraction track and the Yeti. It was necessary to do it that way because they couldn't build the mountain first and then put the track/yeti inside it. Now that its built, I'd suspect that they would have a very difficult time removing the Yeti to fix it.

The Yeti has probably been my biggest disappointment with Disney in the last 10 years. In the beginning, the whole attraction was marketed by Disney with the AA Yeti as the highlight. Even the Stacy top 7 attractions at Walt Disney World (you know, the show on your resort room TV) showed the Yeti in perfect form swinging his arm and shaking his head at you as you passed underneath him.

Fast forward about 2 years after the attraction was open. Reports from Disney fans and DISers said the Yeti was not working most of the time. Somedays he worked great and most others he had a strobe light on him to give the appearance he was moving. This happened over the next 2 years causing us to differentiate his behaviors in either A mode or B mode. Speculation of his status caused us loyal Disney fans to draw our own conclusions as to why he wasn't working; like his foundation was cracking, Disney can't generate enough continual PSI for the Yeti to work, etc, etc.

Now over the past year he hasn't been in A mode (fully functional) at all. In fact, Disney wasn't using the strobe light (B mode) very much. He's been sitting lifeless sometimes with a constant light on him or in total darkness. This has been the case for some time causing us to give him a new status....C Mode.

Like Lisa (WaltD4Me) said, if you are a first time rider to Expedition Everest you wouldn't even know he was broken. You probably didn't even see him to begin with. I know I've asked riders about the Yeti and they refer to his shadow scene and never mention the AA in the final seen. They think his shadow is their encounter with the Yeti, not the AA.

I guess I'm disappointed in 2 fronts. They can't seem to fix the Yeti. I understand there are cost, structural, and technological challenges. I get that, but instead of making progress towards fixing him Disney has seemed to go backwards in their efforts to bring him to life. The perception is they don't care about the ride experience for this attraction. It's almost like the "Elephant in the Room" for the Animal Kingdom. It's a project that's been ignored because no one really wants to address it. It's not a easy fix or simple solution.

The other thing that bothers me about it is the public relations aspect. Would it really kill Disney to publish a communication about what's wrong with it? Send out a press release or post a blog about what's going on? That would go a loooonnng way to cutting off speculation and show Disney understands the situation. There are enough of us loyal fans out there who deserve to know. We aren't first time visitors anymore. We are not fooled by the strobe light or the constant light that shines on the Yeti. We already know he's broke. A simple press release would show they care about our perception and that Disney wants to try and fix it.

Ok...I'm off the soapbox now. :)

I remember Joe Rhode talking about building EE on some Disney program. He described having to build essentially three structures simultaneously. The mountain itself, the attraction track and the Yeti. It was necessary to do it that way because they couldn't build the mountain first and then put the track/yeti inside it. Now that its built, I'd suspect that they would have a very difficult time removing the Yeti to fix it.

But, isn't that a serious design flaw? They couldn't have imagined it was going to work perfectly forever.

Personally I don't think the vast majority even know it isn't working. I rode Everest with my sister who didn't know much about it and she thought the Yeti was very cool even though it didn't move a muscle. Same for my nephew, he was properly scared of it just standing still. I think maybe Disney doesn't want to remove Yeti to fix it (if that is what they would need to do) because standing still Yeti is better than no Yeti at all.

But, isn't that a serious design flaw? They couldn't have imagined it was going to work perfectly forever.

I think it is indeed a serious design flaw. From previous information, it is my impression that to FIX the Yeti they are going to need to take apart that part of the mountain, and that means the ride going down for serious amounts of time. I have a feeling they are waiting for more things to need fixing to take it down for a major rehab.

Kim

Working Yeti or not, I love EE! I saw it work a couple of times the first year I rode it, but not since. Would I rather it worked? Sure. But I don't let it ruin the ride for me!:thumbsup2

The reason I ask this is because it looks more like Thunder Mountain than a roller coaster. I havent got the chance to ride it yet.

Working Yeti or not, I love EE! I saw it work a couple of times the first year I rode it, but not since. Would I rather it worked? Sure. But I don't let it ruin the ride for me!:thumbsup2

Well, yeah, agreed, but it's sort of like if Rock n Roller Coaster broke all of its speakers, and there was no music. Still a cool ride, but the point of the ride is missing.

I wonder if everyone complained that they may fix it:confused::confused:I know wishful thinking but if everyone on DisBoards just started complaining maybe they'd fix hi:confused:m:goodvibes;):worship:

The reason I ask this is because it looks more like Thunder Mountain than a roller coaster. I havent got the chance to ride it yet.

I think it is a step up or two from Thunder Mountain but I wouldn't call it a proper roller coaster like you'd see at Cedar Point. I like EE and ride it every trip but I don't really consider it a proper roller coaster in the thrill ride sense of the word.

I waved my magic wand and destroyed the advertisement. Please continue... :D

I rode EE 4 times in a row during the Anniversary event and loved it every time (my parents dropped out after the second time). I don't care if the Yeti works or not, though it is pretty cool to see her swing down at you. I'd be upset, though, if she were covered when I was riding. I love seeing her there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter