• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yeti in Expedition Everest

By all reports the Yeti was inactive during the event. There was a lot of speculation that they may at least turn it on for the event, but nope. Too bad...my rides in December during the evening EMH at night were neat for the darkness all around, but I found my eyes adjusted and "Disco Yeti" was far less interesting and more obviously immobile.

They've covered the area before for work, but none of it seems to have been for any major repair.

As for whether EE is a roller coaster, I guess that depends on what your definition is. BTM is a roller coaster by most definitions. EE to me is a roller coaster with an added gimmick.

I believe I read somewhere the Imagineers were devising a plan to install a rod attached to the Yeti's arm that would swing the arm back and forth to give it some movement and make the Yeti more visible. Perhaps this is the construction that is taking place?

Some information has surfaced from a source close to Imagineering. Again...This is not an official word from Disney. Just information from a source close to the department who created the Yeti.

Here's what was said:
- When Disney Imagineering received the Yeti from the company who built it, it was supposed to come to them pre-lubricated. When WDI first switched it on they heard a terrible "shreeking" noise like metal on metal. They immediately switched him off, but some damage had been done. WDI was left with returning it for repair or install it and maintain the damage going forward. Because the EE opening day was so close they chose to maintain it going forward.

- The rumor about the Yeti's foundation crumbling is not true. The Yeti can be removed and reinserted as needed each evening. There are doors behind the Yeti so Operations can get to it without a problem. He can be unplugged, removed, and plugged back in rather quickly.

- For the Yeti to get fixed they need to get inside the AA and repair some of the damaged metal. The reason it was operating properly in the past was because Operations was able to keep it lubricated beyond some of the damaged metal. Today, Disney has decided to keep him off because the metal damage can and is becoming more extensive.

- In the past week or two the Yeti has a cover or scrim over him leading to speculation Disney is working on him. Internal discussion about who is going to pay for fixing it has been ongoing. Not what company, but what Disney department (cost center).

Again, this is all from an external source, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but this person (can't name names here) has been a pretty reliable source in the past.

Some information has surfaced from a source close to Imagineering. Again...This is not an official word from Disney. Just information from a source close to the department who created the Yeti.

Here's what was said:
- When Disney Imagineering received the Yeti from the company who built it, it was supposed to come to them pre-lubricated. When WDI first switched it on they heard a terrible "shreeking" noise like metal on metal. They immediately switched him off, but some damage had been done. WDI was left with returning it for repair or install it and maintain the damage going forward. Because the EE opening day was so close they chose to maintain it going forward.

- The rumor about the Yeti's foundation crumbling is not true. The Yeti can be removed and reinserted as needed each evening. There are doors behind the Yeti so Operations can get to it without a problem. He can unplugged, removed, and plugged back in rather quickly.

- For the Yeti to get fixed they need to get inside the AA and repair some of the damaged metal. The reason it was operating properly in the past was because Operations was able to keep it lubricated beyond some of the damaged metal. Today, Disney has decided to keep him off because the metal damage can and is becoming more extensive.

- In the past week or two the Yeti has a cover or scrim over him leading to speculation Disney is working on him. Internal discussion about who is going to pay for fixing it has been ongoing. Not what company, but what Disney department (cost center).

Again, this is all from an external source, so you have to take it with a grain of salt, but this person (can't name names here) has been a pretty reliable source in the past.

Guess that is what happens when you outsource the making of your animatronics.

Intersting information, I wonder what cost center will end up paying for fixing the Yeti...that is if they fix him.

Here's what was said:

- The rumor about the Yeti's foundation crumbling is not true. The Yeti can be removed and reinserted as needed each evening. There are doors behind the Yeti so Operations can get to it without a problem. He can unplugged, removed, and plugged back in rather quickly.

Lol, why can't you name names? You probably got this info from the same place I did - the WDW Fanboys podcast. This information, almost verbatim, is given on the current episode by a Disney insider named Lee (he chooses not to give his last name). He chooses not to name his sources, but there is no reason not to share on this forum that we got the info from him.

Unfortunately I have never rode the ride with the Yeti working correctly. He has always been immobile when I rode it. So I don't know what I am missing. I will say that I thought the ride was kind of a disappointment in thrill/fun but I don't know if that has anything to do with the Yeti.

Unfortunately I have never rode the ride with the Yeti working correctly. He has always been immobile when I rode it. So I don't know what I am missing. I will say that I thought the ride was kind of a disappointment in thrill/fun but I don't know if that has anything to do with the Yeti.

I got to see the Yeti in action in May 2006, I gotta say, it was very cool! I was with my niece, who was 11 at the time, she didnt really know about the Yeti and he really suprised/scared her, but she loved it. We rode EE about 5 times that day. It's still a good ride, even with immobile Yeti, but much better, cooler with working Yeti.

I got to see the Yeti in action in May 2006, I gotta say, it was very cool! I was with my niece, who was 11 at the time, she didnt really know about the Yeti and he really suprised/scared her, but she loved it. We rode EE about 5 times that day. It's still a good ride, even with immobile Yeti, but much better, cooler with working Yeti.

That's probably close to the last time it was fully functioning, too. I did not have any trips in 2006, so when I first went on Expedition Everest in 2007, I experienced "Disco Yeti". A friend of mine told me that he hadn't been working for while and told me the differences between "A mode" and "B mode".

I've only seen the Yeti in "B" mode since 2007. Looks like the Yeti without lighting is "C mode".

Here's what was said:

- The rumor about the Yeti's foundation crumbling is not true. The Yeti can be removed and reinserted as needed each evening. There are doors behind the Yeti so Operations can get to it without a problem. He can be unplugged, removed, and plugged back in rather quickly.

Thanks for the info!!!!

Fiungers crossed Yeti 's got some life in him for my next visit in January 2012.

I rode EE the first year it opened repeatedly and it was wonderful, the hand swooping down, FANTASTIC.

It just ain't the same with disco yeti....

In the past week or two the Yeti has a cover or scrim over him leading to speculation Disney is working on him. Internal discussion about who is going to pay for fixing it has been ongoing. Not what company, but what Disney department (cost center).

Thank you ADP for the INTELL on the Yeti. It is nice to know. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter