Yia-Yia, Yetis and Epcotonians. A sweltering Summer of '22 adventure!

Waiting for the mission to begin.

DSC01713-X2.jpg

Spirits were high!

DSC01715-X3.jpg

We discover that Hondo was in charge of this operation.

DSC01717-X3.jpg

The CM directing traffic made a "no flash photography" announcement which I'm always in favor of in dark rides because flash can ruin the experience for others and it destroys the lighting that was designed for the ride.

Right after I took the shot of Hondo someone behind me used a flash and not a cell phone flash - a good sized flash. As I started to cringe the CM goes Darth Sidious on me! He ran across the room pointing at me and accusing me of using flash in a very aggressive manner.

giphy.gif

I can see why he would think that - it came from my side of the room and my LUME cube could easily be mistaken for a flash but man this guy was really pee'd off!

"You! You! right there! I said no flash! You! You!"

"It wasn't me."
I said calmly but loudly holding up my camera. "This is not a flash. It a constant light and I didn't use it."

Of course the unknown guilty party remained silent.

"No more flash sir!" He continued while pointing at me.

I just nodded.

"Jeez, I thought he was going to kill you." Marina remarked.

"Anger leads to the dark side." I replied to the amusement of the squadron.

giphy.gif

With that little drama behind us we continued with our mission.

DSC01720-X3.jpg

Making sure all our gear was successfully loaded.

DSC01721-X4.jpg

Space chess is a great way to pass the time while traversing through the Galaxy.

DSC01726-X4.jpg

I personally think this would look great in a "man-cave" or a "lady's cave".

DSC01727-X3.jpg

DSC01728-X4.jpg

DSC01729-X4.jpg

Hondo telling us it was time to board the cockpit.

DSC01730-X3.jpg

My third time riding Smuggler's run and finally figuring how to play the game. Marina and Toni did a great job piloting, while Sterg and Courtney shot down plenty of TIE fighters and I actually harpooned a few coaxium trains. Overall we got 3 coaxium thing-a-ma-jigs.

DSC01735-X4.jpg

DSC01736-X3.jpg

Until next time...

DSC01741-X4.jpg

Good job team! Time to meet up with the others and check on YiaYia.

DSC01743-X4.jpg

She was just fine!

DSC01744-X4.jpg

party:Nothing can stop us nooooooooow :dancer:

I've been enjoying your trip report. Your photos are incredible!

Just seeing the images from the Runaway Railroad ride caused The Earworm to reappear. I swear it's a catchier tune than Small World. :scared:

Such a zany and fun ride!

I've so enjoyed your trip report. Our daddy was our photographer of the family, we have 75 boxes of slides that he took, dating back to 1950 when my parents were dating. So, we all know how precious these photos are, he is now 87 with dimentia. Because of having a camera in front of us our whole life, we all continue to take lots of pics! Your kids will do the same I'm sure. I love that Yia-Yia, she reminds me of my mama. Keep snapping those photos!!
Thanks for sharing that @mousiemom! My kids love going back and seeing photos from past trips!

Sterg took over YiaYia wheelchair duties and I'm sure was serenaded with sweet praise and compliments.

Our next Lighting Lane was for Rise of the Resistance. Bill and Aidan were impressed with it at rope drop and we eager to do it again. We had some time to discuss our vacation and WDW and they both were transforming from luke-warm fans to bona-fide fans of WDW. We also had some time to explore Batuu in all it's gritty glory.

DSC01747-X4.jpg

DSC01748-X4.jpg

DSC01751-X4.jpg

We wandered into the bad side of town just in time to see Kylo Ren out recruiting for the First Order.

DSC01754-X4.jpg

The guy he recruited was way too eager to join the Dark Side.

I'm only 4 pages in, but very nice stuff so far!

Agreed on the horrible crowd people- this even happens to me at work (in a grocery store) and it drives me crazy that some people are so oblivious. I've even resorted to a direct "point them in the direction they should be going" motion. As someone who's been in New York, Japan and other crowded cities and managed, I can't believe people would pay ZERO attention to what they were doing. I even mastered the "duck off to the side to take a picture" or at least look around myself.

The worst thing about the "WALL" people are the ones who walk ARM IN ARM as they do it- I saw more than once someone run straight into the interlocked arms of a mother and her child while their family was doing this.

The scooter-talk is interesting as well. I don't want to be anti-inclusive but HOLY COW those can be a menace. I think people who always use them are probably better on them (I don't have issues with them at work), but "freshly disabled" or people who just can't walk all day and so use the scooters instead seem to have issues controlling them or realizing they take up the space of four people and react accordingly. They weren't as bad in my recent trip but in 2021 they were pretty bad (often departing in flotillas of people en masse)- Disneyland has even more issues, since the park is so much smaller space-wise.

So is the secret to good picture-taking in darkened spaces just a better camera? I'm pretty good with an iPhone but if I take pics on Haunted Mansion or even in Be Our Guest Restaurant everything looks insanely blurry and every lighting source shines like a beacon.

A hungry Sterg grabbed one of his favorites - a churro -

DSC01846-X4.jpg

MMRR but this time with the whole crew.

DSC01850-X4.jpg

DSC01851-X3.jpg

This turned out to be YiaYia's favorite ride!

With the girls...

DSC01852-X4.jpg

She was entranced!

This is the only photo I took during the ride having just sat back and enjoyed.

DSC01853-X4.jpg

I'm only 4 pages in, but very nice stuff so far!

Agreed on the horrible crowd people- this even happens to me at work (in a grocery store) and it drives me crazy that some people are so oblivious. I've even resorted to a direct "point them in the direction they should be going" motion. As someone who's been in New York, Japan and other crowded cities and managed, I can't believe people would pay ZERO attention to what they were doing. I even mastered the "duck off to the side to take a picture" or at least look around myself.

The worst thing about the "WALL" people are the ones who walk ARM IN ARM as they do it- I saw more than once someone run straight into the interlocked arms of a mother and her child while their family was doing this.

The scooter-talk is interesting as well. I don't want to be anti-inclusive but HOLY COW those can be a menace. I think people who always use them are probably better on them (I don't have issues with them at work), but "freshly disabled" or people who just can't walk all day and so use the scooters instead seem to have issues controlling them or realizing they take up the space of four people and react accordingly. They weren't as bad in my recent trip but in 2021 they were pretty bad (often departing in flotillas of people en masse)- Disneyland has even more issues, since the park is so much smaller space-wise.

So is the secret to good picture-taking in darkened spaces just a better camera? I'm pretty good with an iPhone but if I take pics on Haunted Mansion or even in Be Our Guest Restaurant everything looks insanely blurry and every lighting source shines like a beacon.

Thanks for following! Scooters are heavy, solid and can move quickly so there is always risk that someone could get seriously hurt by one.

Dark rides photography is a type of "action photography". You are moving and good chance the subject is moving. Action photography requires a fast shutter speed or the subject will be blurred. The problem with a fast shutter speed is that is lets less light into the camera and on the sensor (which is what makes the photo). The larger the sensor, the better is can capture the little light that's coming in. The lens is another factor. You'll need a lens with a "wide" or fast aperture. Typically f/2 or faster. The faster or wider that lens can open the more light can be let in.

I did a video on dark ride photography a few years ago...

Last edited:

Our morning at DHS complete we went to exchange Yiayia's wheelchair for her scooter. Team Marina, this time with Mia went to EPCOT but Yiayia wanted to go back to the resort so my triumvirate stayed with her.

DSC01855-X3.jpg

At some point we discovered that Mia had Yiayia's scooter key and room/entrance card so Toni ran after her. I decided to take some photos of the gas pumps which are pretty cool.

DSC01856-X4.jpg

DSC01858-X2.jpg

Toni was successful in her quest but by the time she got back a full on rain storm hit. Seconds later we were jammed packed under Oscar's with others seeking shelter.

Eventually it slowed down enough to make it to the buses.

PXL_20220719_184519467-X3.jpg

Toni sat with Yiayia.

334FF94E-1829-4497-B443-E0A348C763BC-X2.jpg

Then got a workout in while I took a nap.

2A77199D-9163-4806-9A56-EA87F5B60596-X2.jpg

Reactions: DLo
My Mom wasn't up to hitting the Parks for the evening so we had dinner at Coronado Springs. With Three Bridges Bar & Grill being walk-up we ventured there.

PXL_20220719_211236512-X3.jpg

The bridges connected the different sides of CSR to a suspended "hub" in the middle of the small lake. I believe there were two other eating options on the hub; Maya Grill and El Mercado de Coronado.

Toni was taking care of YiaYia...

783B7AF9-04AC-4328-AD35-BCA956B98246-X2.jpg

But she wanted to sit next to me.

4E88F637-398F-4D1C-99CA-6515560E6D46-X3.jpg

We enjoyed our light meal which suited the very warm weather.

F136D04C-FD3A-4ACC-A9C7-39B60CB81B3B-X2.jpg

Thumbs up for my mini-tacos...

7DE5D6B5-B128-46A7-AE8B-E81C0C46FDA5-X3.jpg

YiaYia liked her shrimp but ended up giving me a couple.

PXL_20220719_214058075.PORTRAIT-X3.jpg

We had a good time and some funny conversation at Three Bridges Bar & Grill in a relaxed not rushed setting. The appeal of Coronado Springs was growing on me.

With YiaYia back in her room we all decided to hop on over to Magic Kingdom for the evening...

Dessert was our first stop. Toni seemed determined to continue with the fish lips although at the time of the photo I was too concentrated at looking into the correct part of the cell phone so I wouldn't look like a crazy person (didn't work) to notice. The ice-cream hit the spot!

10F40F3D-36CD-45B9-BE64-53F872F78582-X3.jpg

The suspended sunset mist made Rivers of America look dreamlike.

DSC01860-X4.jpg

Actually it was my fogged up lens (I forgot to follow my own hair-dryer advice) that created the effect.

What it really looked like - still beautiful!

DSC01861-X4.jpg

@fractal ! I’m losing it! The interaction with your Mom when she thought Sterg was pushing her. You win the award for funniest story of my week. I’m just going to hold that close to my heart now forever so I can have a giggle whenever I want.

I have been lurking but decided to comment. I love your pictures. I think I am a decent photographer but yours put me to shame. I once used all Sony equipment but gave it to my granddaughter when she started taking photography in High School. I upgraded to Nikon and have been happy with the choice. I never thought of using my 50mm fast lens outside except at night or on dark rides. I recently cleaned out a drawer and realize I have a 10mm-20mm wide angle so that may be coming on my trip in a couple of weeks. I am traveling solo so plenty of time for pictures.

Your mother looks like she was having fun. I went once with my mother and by the last day she was forcing a smile. She HATES Disney.

I had to tell you though, I get weird YouTube hints on my phone all the time. The last couple of days they were videos you posted.

@fractal ! I’m losing it! The interaction with your Mom when she thought Sterg was pushing her. You win the award for funniest story of my week. I’m just going to hold that close to my heart now forever so I can have a giggle whenever I want.

Lol! Glad you enjoyed it @MikeWsGirl .

I have been lurking but decided to comment. I love your pictures. I think I am a decent photographer but yours put me to shame. I once used all Sony equipment but gave it to my granddaughter when she started taking photography in High School. I upgraded to Nikon and have been happy with the choice. I never thought of using my 50mm fast lens outside except at night or on dark rides. I recently cleaned out a drawer and realize I have a 10mm-20mm wide angle so that may be coming on my trip in a couple of weeks. I am traveling solo so plenty of time for pictures.

Your mother looks like she was having fun. I went once with my mother and by the last day she was forcing a smile. She HATES Disney.

I had to tell you though, I get weird YouTube hints on my phone all the time. The last couple of days they were videos you posted.

Thanks for commenting @tazdev3225 ! That wide angle lens should be great for WDW. Agree on being solo. I get some great pics when I "run and gun" but being by yourself allow more time to look for different angles, etc. Enjoy!

Sorry you Mom hates Disney. My wife is not a fan as well but you just have to play the cards your dealt sometimes.

Thanks for the info on Youtube. That is weird but it's a strange platform. A few weeks ago I posted a video of piped in sounds next to the restrooms in Batuu. Within 2 hours is reached 800 views (which is a lot for my channel). Then it just stopped.

Some more shots by the river with the 14mm lens ...

DSC01863-X4.jpg

DSC01864-X4.jpg

DSC01865-X4.jpg

DSC01866-X4.jpg

Blue hour...

DSC01869-X4.jpg

The 2/3rds patience finally grew thin.

"C'mon Pops, we want to ride Big Thunder...at nighhhht."

"OK, I'm done. Let do it!"

A start contrast to Summer of 2020. People now jammed in.

PXL_20220720_004505970-X2.jpg

Notice I was lugging around my camera bag - with tripod attached. They would come in handy later that evening.

DCE6C21C-4E81-4119-804E-87908238F562-X3.jpg

Looks like wild times in that saloon; giving new meaning to "the wildest ride in the wilderness"!

DSC01872-X4.jpg

It is better "at night".

DSC01877-X4.jpg

DSC01880-X4.jpg

DSC01881-X4.jpg

Fun times with the 2/3rds!

DSC01882-X4.jpg

What's next?

Let's check the wait time next door...

DSC01884-X4.jpg

50 minute wait for Splash Mountain on a hot, muggy night? Didn't sound appealing at first but after a little back and forth among our triumvirate we decided to get in line.

Standing in a line with a long wait with young children can be challenging to say the least. I remember the days of their impatience, whining, complaining, running into people, having to go to the bathroom several times, getting in fights with each other, he started it, she started it, I was first, no I was first and on and on. Add hot weather on top of it and no amount of pixie dust is going to make that torturous wait magical. Expressions like this would be common.

disney2009%20199-X2.jpg

Things change when they become teenagers. Your precious little angles become way too cool to be seen with you much less talking to you. This is the age of the one-word answers. Taking pictures of your now humans in adults bodies and underdeveloped brains is nearly impossible or is made to make you feel as if they are doing you the biggest favor in the world but mostly they shun your camera like a vampire would shun a cross dipped in garlic sauce.

This changes in adulthood as their brains become fully developed and they can actually carry on a lengthy conversation with you and even a conversation that's not about them. I started to recognize this during our 2020 trip and more so in 2022. Our wait in line was all of 50 minutes but the time seem to go by quickly and looking back, it was time well spent as we had a lot of catch up conversation, talking about their future plans and dreams and some fun interaction with another group we would continue to line up with in line.

I of course also had to take a few photos.

DSC01890-X4.jpg

DSC01887-X4.jpg

Right around here the fireworks started.

DSC01892-X4.jpg

I was at about as good of a vantage point in the line for this shot.

DSC01896-X4.jpg

getting closer...

DSC01901-X4.jpg

Time to go!

51E50109-49AD-4B28-BF51-D8F29D3D5E49-X2.jpg

giphy.gif

Fractal - did your in-laws and Sterg make it out of H. Ian okay?
Yes, thanks for asking. Sterg went to his cousin's place in DelRay and in-law hunkered down in a hotel in Melbourne. Luckily for them the storm hit further south because based on what we see in Fort Myers their home would have likely been destroyed. I feel terrible for those in that area.

Our log transported us to the realm of Splash Mountain and all it's characters...

DSC01903-X3.jpg

DSC01905-X3.jpg

It seemed a bit more dangerous under a dark night's sky which only heightened our senses and enjoyment.

DSC01907-X4.jpg

He's off for adventure and "gone for good".

DSC01912-X4.jpg

Leaving behind a pretty good life.

DSC01913-X4.jpg

DSC01916-X4.jpg

No going back now!

DSC01926-X4.jpg

Brer Rabbit gets a second chance and we sing Zip-A-Dee-Do-Ha!

DSC01929-X4.jpg

Along with all sorts of creatures and such...

DSC01932-X4.jpg

Not gone for good after all. Brer Rabitt going to think this through a little better and learns that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

DSC01936-X4.jpg

Sterg and Toni wanted to continue hitting rides in MK while I wanted to put the tripod weighing down my right shoulder to some use.

So with the 50mm lens attached to my camera and camera locked in the tripod I captured some more photos along the Rivers. Yes I could have used trashcan and fence tops but the tripod allowed me more freedom to compose.

f/8, 20 seconds at ISO 100.

DSC01942-X4.jpg

Not sure which I like better.

DSC01943-X4.jpg

Another view of Tom Sawyer Island.

DSC01944-X4.jpg

Another castle shot.

DSC01947-X4.jpg

and the Mill.

DSC01948-X4.jpg

Another from the river.

DSC01949-X4.jpg

UP NEXT - More night time shots in MK, Drama with the 2/3rds, and crazy morning with YiaYia in Animal Kingdom (like really crazy) along with some of my best photos I've taken.

Reactions: DLo
More terrific updates and amazing photos. I have to say, you are much more of a Jedi candidate than I am because I would have surrendered to the dark side pretty darn quickly and pointed at the moron who did use flash. :rolleyes:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter