• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Yinzers Unite! BBQ Chipped Chopped Ham - Pickle Relish, Yeah or Nay?

Do you use Pickle Relish in your Chipped Chopped Ham BBQ?

• I'm dahn wit pickles n'at!

• Yinz is nutz!

• Takeela or sumpin else

Results are only viewable after voting.
My parents are originally from the Pittsburgh area, and I did not grow up anywhere close to there, but LOL I knew exactly what this was and now I'm hungry for it. I don't eat it with relish though.

I need to make ham bbq for 80 people. Any idea how many pounds I need?
Given the general rule that a pound of lunch meat serves about 3 people (with a little extra to allow for those that love to load up their sandwiches), you would need about 27 pounds of chipped ham to feed 80 people. But if this is for a potluck I wouldn't necessarily plan that every single person at the party would want to sample my dish. If it were me, I'd prepare less than that.

Also, I'm from the Pittsburgh area and now that this old thread has been resurrected I want ham barbecue! I haven't made it in at least a year but now my mouth is watering! I've never had it prepared with relish in it, I don't think I'd like that; it's usually served with relish and pickles on the side.

What are these words LOL

How does one pronounce yinz? Is it like tins with a y sound?

Things you learn on the DIS.

Never heard of a Yinzer.
Never heard of Islays.
Never heard of Braddock.
Never heard of a chopper ham sandwich.

And all from a ZOMBIE thread. :duck:

Ohhhhh, that kinda makes sense now.
As a regional dialect, Pittsburghese is fascinating! Maybe because I grew up hearing it, I don't know. But some of the words are weird: warsh, redd-up, scootch, gumband, jagoff, dahn tahn. The accent isn't real strong where I live, if you want to get the full effect you have to go closer to the city. If you can't visit Pittsburgh and want to hear how those words are supposed to sound you can search You Tube for a sample of Myron Cope, he was a Pittsburgh sportscaster for many years and he was famous for his strong Pittsburgh accent and use of regional colloquialism.

As a regional dialect, Pittsburghese is fascinating! Maybe because I grew up hearing it, I don't know. But some of the words are weird: warsh, redd-up, scootch, gumband, jagoff, dahn tahn. The accent isn't real strong where I live, if you want to get the full effect you have to go closer to the city. If you can't visit Pittsburgh and want to hear how those words are supposed to sound you can search You Tube for a sample of Myron Cope, he was a Pittsburgh sportscaster for many years and he was famous for his strong Pittsburgh accent and use of regional colloquialism.

We use scooch all the time. In fact, it was my measure of how quickly I recovered from my surgery a few years ago. I knew I was getting better when I was able to scooch back in my chair lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter