Yipeee it's norovirus!!

lklgoodman

DIS Veteran
I've been having what I was afraid might be gallbladder problems for about 2 weeks now. I was finally able to go to the doctor yesterday for some tests. My doctor just called and said it wasn't my gallbladder after all and looks like I had the norovirus. When I thought it was my gallbladder one of my first thoughts was that I wouldn't be able to eat all the wonderful food on our next cruise. I LOVE the pasta app at AP and was worried I'd be stuck eating only off the lighter fare menu, YUCK!! lol!! So thankfully to find out it was the norovirus! Bring on the pasta and desserts!!:banana:

And in case anyone is worried about me infecting anyone on a cruise, my next cruise isn't until next March 2018. I'm just really looking forward to being able to eat whatever I want then, lol!

You aren't the only one. :sad2: I sailed last month and came down with a horrible case of what I suspect was the norovirus too. Thursday morning after breakfast I started to have horrible stomach cramps, sudden high fever, chills, malaise, and weakness. I ended up sleeping most of the afternoon and recuperating over the course of the next day. I felt much better 48 hours after it initially hit, but the after-effects on my stomach lasted one to two weeks post cruise with cramping, heartburn, and gas.

I am curious: do you know what tests your doctor ran to get the norovirus diagnosis?

Happy for you?? I had norovirus once and wouldn't ever want it again, but hey, if you're happy, that's all that matters! Enjoy your pasta pursettes!

She did bloodwork and took a stool sample. I think the results showed more that my gallbladder is OK. She thought it was either my gallbladder or the norovirus based on my symptoms. Your case was a lot more worse than mine. I never had a fever, chills, or weakness. I hope you are feeling better. I really only felt really bad for about 2 days. It's been about 2 weeks and I'm still getting stomach pains, but not as bad as it had been. My doctor said it can take up to 3 weeks to fully recover from the norovirus. I'm just glad no on else in my family got it. This is the first time I've had any kind of stomach bug in well over 30 yrs. I really thought it was food poisoning when it first hit.​

I had my gall bladder removed when it was giving me issues and I can eat whatever I want.

My SIL had her's removed and she really has to watch what she eats. She had me worried that I'd never be able to eat any kind of dessert again if I had to have mine removed.

I had mine removed and thought I would be back to normal and I wasn't.
About a year later I went to my Gastro and he pinpointed my issue immediately.
Turned out I was having issues with the bile, my system just couldn't handle it. He gave me a prescription for Colestipol 1mg twice a day and BAM issue gone and back to normal.

Anyone having issues should look into this, it more common than we think.

My father had his removed and was told to stay away from fatty foods and such... I thought that was the norm.

I also had mine removed and can eat whatever I want. Doctor did advise to stay away from fatty foods, but I don't seem to have any issues.

I had mine removed and thought I would be back to normal and I wasn't.
About a year later I went to my Gastro and he pinpointed my issue immediately.
Turned out I was having issues with the bile, my system just couldn't handle it. He gave me a prescription for Colestipol 1mg twice a day and BAM issue gone and back to normal.

Anyone having issues should look into this, it more common than we think.
@lorimay I just had mine out 5 weeks ago and I am dealing with the same. Are you still taking Colestipol? How are you doing with it? Are you able to eat a normal diet now?

@lorimay I just had mine out 5 weeks ago and I am dealing with the same. Are you still taking Colestipol? How are you doing with it? Are you able to eat a normal diet now?
This is an old thread but I'll comment because I had major issues and was blown off by the surgeon. I take Welchol, it's a cholesterol med being used off label but it's solved my problems mostly. I still have to tread carefully with burgers, pizza, etc and oddly asparagus.

This is an old thread but I'll comment because I had major issues and was blown off by the surgeon. I take Welchol, it's a cholesterol med being used off label but it's solved my problems mostly. I still have to tread carefully with burgers, pizza, etc and oddly asparagus.
Thank you! How old are you? Did you have kids during this mess? While on the drug?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter