York, PA - what can you tell me about it?

ziggystardust

DIS Veteran
we're considering making the move for a job. Coming from a very high cost area, 40 min outside NYC, I know it will be considerably cheaper which is a huge plus. Just wondering what the area is like.

(we'll be traveling there to check it out soon but would love some opinions)

I posted on the other one too already! Not sure if you know the general area in York your job will be located in yet or not. Not sure if you have kids or if school district matters to u. Houses are dirt cheap right now compared to 5 years ago. A 3 bedroom 2 bath in good to excellent schools is selling for 150,000. Let me know if u need any specifics or suggestions for neighborhoods or specific living areas. There's lots to do and everything is pretty close by.

I have lived here all my life. I would research the different school districts to find your 'fit' if you have children. I would avoid living in the city of York, as it can be violent and school district (York High) is having great finicial difficulties.

I bought my home in East York 15 years ago for 105,000 with four bedroom two floors (3 if you include the basement).

My kids are 13 and 15 and are in the Central School district, which is huge.

Both east and west York are located in populated areas with good access to shopping and such. We have most food chains around, with a few exceptions. We are close to Harrisburg, Baltimore MD, and only 1hr 45 min away from Philadelphia.

We are split for many sports teams. Alot of fans for the Eagles and Phillies, but also for the Pittsburg teams.

Cost of living probably much better than your current location.

Lots of good school districts and lots of bad. Also look into taxes before you buy. I know Dover for one is terribly high, tax wise. Central (York) is a Great School district ;)as well as Dallastown and Suburban but PLEASE dont confuse Central for York City School district.:eek:

House prices have dropped everywhere and I even know a GREAT Preschool if moving to the west end of town. :love:

If you move anywhere near route 30 or route 83 you will be close to everything (Nothing like NY area trust me I nannied there for a few years) even though the malls are half dead now in the past few years. 2 malls and tons of smaller shopping centers with Target, Walmart, Kohls all on each side of town too.

no kids at the moment, though if we do buy we would definitely take school districts into consideration.

how's the employment situation there? my boyfriend would be the one going for a job and I would be leaving mine. I'd like to get something quickly and am willing to leave my current field if I can find something.

thats probably very vague... I'm a graphic designer and would be happy staying in that field, but from what I'm seeing there's not much there. In your opinion, would it be terribly hard for me to find something? Retail/office work, really open to anything

Good Luck with a job and quickly:rotfl: I would start sending resumes out NOW....

York is a very pretty suburban area near Harrisburg PA. Manicured lawns, nice homes, newer shopping centers, and very good roads. I wouldn't hesitate to move there. It's really nice.

My daughter lived in Gettysburg a few years ago. Her friend lived in York. I keep remembering "pretty" when I think of York. (Not such a bad remembrance!)

Large, good school districts are plentiful in the area.

You will love it there. Good luck! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter