Yosemite and DLR

mlayton14

DIS Veteran
Hi , in the final stages of planning a mid august trip - 2 parents with 16 and 14 yo daughters. Would like to start in Bay Area for closer drive to Yosemite for 3 night stay. Then drive the 6 (?) hours to DLR (on a Sunday) , some questions for those that have done this itinerary

Yosemite - Tenaya lodge or Ahwahnee? I see pros and cons - Tenaya more modern resort for a family plus close to train and Mariposa grove , plus a bit closer drive to DLR. However I’m guessing the Ahwahnee location just can’t be beat for convenience within Yosemite. If Tenaya would probably book a day tour pickup at hotel to minimize the hassle of driving and parking - which would you choose? The other downside of Ahwahnee is that I read it’s overrun with tourists that aren’t even staying there so challenging to even get a meal easily, let alone parking your car. Not into 10 mike hikes in the hot summer heat - but a few miles per day would be perfect

Drive to DLR, picked a Sunday , assume this is a smart move to limit traffic/commute time ? Pondering stopping at wolf mountain sanctuary :)

Would fly back to east coast via SNA

Would appreciate feedback or suggestions with any leg of this trip!

Can I throw out Yosemite Valley Lodge as a third option? It’s right in the valley, perfect base location for exploring, albeit it is quite basic. I always book Ahwahnee but then find myself questioning the $300+ a night, unless I’m spending time in the room, and I’m hardly in the room at Yosemite

and if it’s not available now, it often comes up if you keep looking

Can I throw out Yosemite Valley Lodge as a third option? It’s right in the valley, perfect base location for exploring, albeit it is quite basic. I always book Ahwahnee but then find myself questioning the $300+ a night, unless I’m spending time in the room, and I’m hardly in the room at Yosemite

Thanks for the suggestion - doesn’t that come with the same problem as Ahwahnee like large crowds on the property that aren’t even staying there, difficulty finding food at peak hours, etc esp during summer? Thanks

The Ahwahnee is much more of a destination itself, unlike Yosemite Lodge. Lots of people stop in to see the lobby and eat at the restaurant. (It’s definitely worth seeing!) I don’t think people do that as much with Yosemite Lodge, which is more like a standard motel that happens to be in a spectacular location.

I love the Ahwahnee but it is expensive and the rooms are pretty small for the price.

Another option to consider is renting a place in Yosemite West. They’re private homes that are off the road between Tenaya Lodge and the Valley. They’re technically outside the park but feel like they’re in the park. We’ve stayed there a few times and it was great. It’s especially convenient for driving out to Glacier Point.

Have fun in Yosemite! No matter where you stay, it’s spectacular.

Exactly what Crystal said, most people hanging around YV lodge are staying there. It is quite basic, but it’s a great location. I noticed a typo
earlier, I meant hard to justify the $300+ difference

Personally, when I go, I rent a cabin in Redwoods in Yosemite, which is right by the Wawona Hotel. Yosemite West is closer to the valley, but Redwoods in Yosemite is built on more level ground, and there is a nice little hike to the base of Chilnuana Falls....

We do like to camp so I make do with faux camping in Housekeeping if I have the chance. If I don't, then Redwoods. I would recommend staying in the valley, though, if you have that opportunity. (sorry for being choppy - in between football games, lol)

It's not $300 and hasn't been (unless there's some sale) in over two decades. I checked for available dates in February and the standard rate is $592 a night.

One warning would be to only book through the official concessionaire (Aramark) site at travelyosemite.com. There are third party sites that actually charge a premium, have far worse cancellation policies, and don't provide ANY added value.

I personally have loved camping in Yosemite. I know that Upper Pines gets a lot of criticism for being overrun, but there's something to be said for waking up and then making coffee with a view of Half Dome.

Thanks for the suggestion - doesn’t that come with the same problem as Ahwahnee like large crowds on the property that aren’t even staying there, difficulty finding food at peak hours, etc esp during summer? Thanks

It's federal government property (paid for with taxpayer funds) and they'd be hard pressed to keep anyone out. The dining room is just a restaurant. Hotel guests are treated the same as anyone else when dining there. I've gone there when I was camping.

Stay in Yosemite Valley. I would stay at the Lodge. Easy to get to the shuttle stops, when weather is good, we always rent bikes for getting around. The other benefit of the Lodge is the large cafeteria and you basically get a get a guaranteed parking spot in the Lodge parking lot. In nice weather in the summer (especially on weekends) finding a place to park if you drive in (which takes a lot longer than you think) is almost impossible.

The Ahwahnee is incredible. The views are amazing. The rooms are small, but you can just feel yourself in the middle of history. The food options are limited, but it is very easy to drive to the general store or to the big food court at the Yosemite Valley Lodge

The Ahwahnee is incredible. The views are amazing. The rooms are small, but you can just feel yourself in the middle of history. The food options are limited, but it is very easy to drive to the general store or to the big food court at the Yosemite Valley Lodge

I wouldn't drive if I didn't have to. Once one has a parking space it's probably better to take the free shuttle around. A parking spot is a precious commodity in Yosemite.

There's some interesting food elsewhere. The Ahwahnee only has their main dining room and a bar. Yosemite Lodge has the Mountain Room. I remember going there after a backpacking trip and splurging on a steak. The food is as good as the Ahwahnee although the atmosphere isn't quite that classic feel. Curry Village has the Pizza Deck, although I'm not sure if they brought the Curry Village buffet back.

I[ve stayed at Tenaya, Ahwanee, and various campgrounds on the valley floor-Curry Village and Housekeeping. While I love the beauty of the Ahwanhee, the room cleaning and food has gone downhill wit new management. I would stay at Tenaya if I were heading up.

I[ve stayed at Tenaya, Ahwanee, and various campgrounds on the valley floor-Curry Village and Housekeeping. While I love the beauty of the Ahwanhee, the room cleaning and food has gone downhill wit new management. I would stay at Tenaya if I were heading up.

I'm kind of boycotting Delaware North over the trademark registration dispute.

Curious if you are planning to spend any time in the Bay Area or just fly there to drive to Yosemite? If you aren't spending time there, you should look into flying into to Fresno (FAT) which is about 60-90 minutes to Yosemite.

Regarding hotels, we've never stayed in the Valley but have stayed at Tenaya numerous times and while there are a lot of fun activities, the food options are sorely lacking. We go up for a weekend and are tired of the food by Day 2, not a lot of variety and the prices are outrageous. There isn't anything nearby where you could pop over to without a significant drive (and losing a great parking spot).

Curious if you are planning to spend any time in the Bay Area or just fly there to drive to Yosemite? If you aren't spending time there, you should look into flying into to Fresno (FAT) which is about 60-90 minutes to Yosemite.

Regarding hotels, we've never stayed in the Valley but have stayed at Tenaya numerous times and while there are a lot of fun activities, the food options are sorely lacking. We go up for a weekend and are tired of the food by Day 2, not a lot of variety and the prices are outrageous. There isn't anything nearby where you could pop over to without a significant drive (and losing a great parking spot).

Elderberry House.

https://chateausureau.com/dine/

That’s interesting, but this limitation seems even worse in the valley - please correct me if wrong

Also , no direct flights to Fresno unfortunately

That’s interesting, but this limitation seems even worse in the valley - please correct me if wrong

Also , no direct flights to Fresno unfortunately

Fresno Airport (which optimistically calls itself "Fresno Yosemite Airport") is really more a spoke in the hub and spoke system. Oakland is probably the best airport in the Bay Area to get to Yosemite with lots of connections, better rates on rental cars, and just being closer.

And absolutely parking in Yosemite Valley is horrendous. I remember when I went backpacking, I was looking to stay at the backpackers parking lot, but found a sign saying it was full. But before that I was told that when it's close to full, it's reserved only for backpackers (and not for general use) where they'll put up the full sign.

Tenaya Lodge is in a weird place. I'm not even sure what the history is behind it, but FYI it's not inside Yosemite National Park and isn't subject to any rules set by the National Park Service.

There is another possibility with Yosemite West. It's not technically inside the park, but the only roads to there are through the park; it's located just off Wawona Road. Residents are allowed access for free. They have vacation homes, condos, and fancy cabins. A lot of the owners are set up with management companies that handle rentals.

https://www.scenicwonders.com/yosemite-rentals
https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/california/yosemite-west
https://www.yosemitewest.com/

YOSEmap1.jpg

Fresno Airport (which optimistically calls itself "Fresno Yosemite Airport") is really more a spoke in the hub and spoke system. Oakland is probably the best airport in the Bay Area to get to Yosemite with lots of connections, better rates on rental cars, and just being closer.

And absolutely parking in Yosemite Valley is horrendous. I remember when I went backpacking, I was looking to stay at the backpackers parking lot, but found a sign saying it was full. But before that I was told that when it's close to full, it's reserved only for backpackers (and not for general use) where they'll put up the full sign.

Tenaya Lodge is in a weird place. I'm not even sure what the history is behind it, but FYI it's not inside Yosemite National Park and isn't subject to any rules set by the National Park Service.

There is another possibility with Yosemite West. It's not technically inside the park, but the only roads to there are through the park; it's located just off Wawona Road. Residents are allowed access for free. They have vacation homes, condos, and fancy cabins. A lot of the owners are set up with management companies that handle rentals.

https://www.scenicwonders.com/yosemite-rentals
https://www.vrbo.com/vacation-rentals/usa/california/yosemite-west
https://www.yosemitewest.com/

YOSEmap1.jpg
Thanks for the info !

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter