• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You Can Learn a Lot of Things From the Flowers - May 2016 TR *NEW* 12/30 x3 *COMPLETE!*

Sounds like a great afternoon! It's so nice that DD is showing her enthusiasm for rides! You two look so cute on the tea cups :)

I'm sure it was nice to get out of the park early and away from the heat! I still haven't had Cracker Barrel yet...one day hopefully!

How sweet that DD was showing an interest in Peter Pan's Flight.

You can always tell how busy the MK is by whether or not there's a line for the PeopleMover!

Yum, a Dole Whip on a hot day is the perfect way to cool down.

I don't blame you for leaving at 2:30. That sun can drain the best. And at least that way DS got to swim in the pool for awhile. What kid alive doesn't think that's fun?

I used to live near a Cracker Barrel and there chicken salads were actually really, really good. It was my go-to place when I wanted a big salad for lunch. So you won't hear any judgement on my part for dining there for dinner. And how nice that DD could sit in the highchair. That makes life so much easier. At least until they insist on "feeding themselves with real food" and the big messes begin.

Despite the heat and crowds it sounds like you guys had a really fun day at MK! Nice that she took some good naps in the carrier. Love all the photos, esp on Barnstormer and Tea Cups - I have a soft spot for the Tea Cups after a magical experience there this trip! <3

So sweet that she loved Peter Pan so much, and funny about her teeth! I'm surprised she has so many - Maya is almost 13 months old (4 more days, wow) and has the same 6 she's had for a few months (4 up top that we rarely see since her lip covers them, and then the 2 cute ones on bottom). I don't think I've noticed any others about to pop through!

Sounds like a great afternoon! It's so nice that DD is showing her enthusiasm for rides! You two look so cute on the tea cups :)

I'm sure it was nice to get out of the park early and away from the heat! I still haven't had Cracker Barrel yet...one day hopefully!

I loved that she was so happy on the rides. I'm glad I got to share those memories with her, because she wasn't quite so happy about everything in October, unfortunately.

We have been in Octobers where the heat was bad, but May felt magnified. Maybe the humidity was worse? I don't know, but we felt way more drained than we usually do. It was tough to cut our day short so early considering we only had precious little time, but it was the best decision for that day.

I don't know why but I just LOVE Cracker Barrel! It's that homestyle southern cooking I really love.

How sweet that DD was showing an interest in Peter Pan's Flight.

You can always tell how busy the MK is by whether or not there's a line for the PeopleMover!

Yum, a Dole Whip on a hot day is the perfect way to cool down.

I don't blame you for leaving at 2:30. That sun can drain the best. And at least that way DS got to swim in the pool for awhile. What kid alive doesn't think that's fun?

I used to live near a Cracker Barrel and there chicken salads were actually really, really good. It was my go-to place when I wanted a big salad for lunch. So you won't hear any judgement on my part for dining there for dinner. And how nice that DD could sit in the highchair. That makes life so much easier. At least until they insist on "feeding themselves with real food" and the big messes begin.

It was so sweet to see her enjoy herself so much!

Yeah, the presence or absence of a People Mover is a good indicator of how busy the park is. Not surprising considering it was Memorial Day weekend, but we'd had pretty decent luck so far.

You said it, sister!!

DS hardly ever gets pool time because we are always so go go go on our trips, so despite being disappointed at cutting our day short on an already short trip, I think he really appreciated the pool time. I'm glad that now that DD is older, we can ALL join in on pool time on future trips!

I love Cracker Barrel! And I hardly ever get to go, so it was perfect that it was right there next to our resort. A perfect choice, so we could justify getting dressed and going out to dinner without having to worry about getting back late. At that point, DD was content with snacks as she had really just ventured into finger foods. October was a little more difficult, but I know our next trip is going to be a real doozy at mealtimes. That girl likes to EAT. I don't think we can get away with her and DS sharing meals on our trip to Disneyland in a few months. She is going to demand full meals!

Despite the heat and crowds it sounds like you guys had a really fun day at MK! Nice that she took some good naps in the carrier. Love all the photos, esp on Barnstormer and Tea Cups - I have a soft spot for the Tea Cups after a magical experience there this trip! <3

So sweet that she loved Peter Pan so much, and funny about her teeth! I'm surprised she has so many - Maya is almost 13 months old (4 more days, wow) and has the same 6 she's had for a few months (4 up top that we rarely see since her lip covers them, and then the 2 cute ones on bottom). I don't think I've noticed any others about to pop through!

We definitely did, even though the heat was really getting to us. Probably me even moreso because I was almost always wearing DD. Although I won't miss the extra heat and weight of carrying her on future trips (she is just too big for the whole "toddler wearing" thing), I will miss those good carrier naps and being able to still ride stuff while she slept!

When DS turned a year old, he had 2 teeth. 2! By the time DD made a year, she had (still has) 14!! Her first two sprouted when she was 5 months old. We had many many miserable days and nights after that as she always seemed to get no less than 2 at a time, sometimes as many as 4 at a time! But I guess it was better in a way because although it sucked at the time, she seems like she's done for now, at least for awhile. I need to get her to the dentist!! I didn't add her to my dental insurance because I figured by the time she made a year, she'd have a few and it wouldn't be a big deal to wait to add her until 2017 because it would just be a few more months. I never would have thought she'd already have a mouthful!

Day 4: Sunday May 29th

Our last morning started at 6 am. DD was a happy girl!

Untitled
by disneymom1024, on Flickr
We had one more day to spend at Flower & Garden, and we wanted to make the most of it! It was 7:45 am when we arrived at the gates, so we had a bit of a wait ahead of us. We had breakfast in line. DS was all smiles so far.

Untitled

I took the kids on a walk to burn off some energy while DH and the stroller held our spot in line. Once we got back to him, we were in luck that the CMs working the turnstiles were working hard to keep everyone entertained while we waited for the gates to open.

May 04-001
This was Sundee, a really awesome & energetic CM.

Sundee along with a couple other CMs name Julie & Wanda kept us entertained with some songs while we waited. They had us join in on If You’re Happy & You Know It, and also asked if there were any birthdays. When a few people raised their hands, they said they had a special song for them. “This is your birthday song, it isn’t very long!” lol

Around 8:45 we were let inside.

May 04-002
Again, we were held at the entrances into the different parts of Future World. We wanted to see Joy & Sadness first thing, so we went over to the appropriate side to wait. At 9 am, they dropped the rope and we hurried in to the Character Spot. We were in the first 10 or so groups lining up to meet them, though we did have to wait a few minutes for them to start greeting.

May 04-003
DH took a few photos of the meet & greet area while we waited for the previous family to finish up. It’s such a cute area!

May 04-004

May 04-005

May 04-006

May 04-007
DS was hesitant to go in, but Joy took him by the hand and led him inside.

May 04-008
She even took him over to the control panel to show him all of the buttons and knobs.

May 04-010
A few Photopass versions…

After a great meet with Joy & Sadness, we hopped over to meet Baymax, who didn’t have a very long line yet either.

May 04-012

Baymax had to go in for a break just before our turn, so we waited at the front of the line. We started chatting with the CM working there who noticed we were from Louisiana, probably because of DH’s hat, and he said he was too. We asked where, and he said, “Oh it’s a small town, you’ve probably never heard of it.” Turns out, it’s less than 15 miles from where we live! When we told him we knew exactly where that was as it’s practically our neighboring city, he was so surprised!

Baymax came back out, and it was our turn! DD was not exactly a fan…

We were finished with both meets by 9:25!

Our first FP+ was for Nemo, so we went there next.

Not the best use of FP since it was pretty empty still, but it’s kind of difficult to plan FP+ in Epcot when all of the stuff worth getting a FP for is in the same tier.

Continued in next post...

Day 4 Continued: Sunday May 29th

Once we finished with the ride, we decided to hang around in the Seas and check out some of the sea life.

While we had been walking around the aquariums, I had been able to get onto MDE and move up the time on our Living with the Land FP, so we were able to head right over to the Land and use that next.

Once we had finished riding, it was time for DD to eat. We still had the rider swap for Soarin, so while DH and DS went to use that, I took DD over to one of the booths way in the back of Sunshine Seasons to eat where she wouldn’t be too distracted. It wasn’t long before they were coming back to find me, though, because Soarin’ was temporarily down.

We decided to head into World Showcase to see the other half of the pavilions we had missed on our previous hunt for Flower & Garden topiaries. We were headed to America since it’s in the middle, and planned to have lunch there first.

UP NEXT: Topiary Hunting & Kidcot Stops

So cute! Love the joy & sadness meet, they do a really great job there. Baymax is cool too, though Aria was a bit befuddled with how to meet him. The photo of Delilah wearing the baseball hat is cute :) Too bad Soarin went down, but nice you found a quiet spot to nurse.

The kids look so happy this morning!

That's great that you were able to get both sets of character meets done pretty quickly. Love the pics with Joy & Sadness!

Bummer about Soarin being down!

Joining in! Cannot WAIT to meet Joy/Sadness and Baymax-- we have been stalking him for awhile, but he was never meeting on previous trips. Inside Out is one of my favorite movies ever.

Your trip looks great-- we didn't take our kids until they were 3/4, so the baby stage is so much fun for me to see. Your daughter looks so enthralled with everything, and your son is such a Disney kid-- I love when they think of it as such a normal part of life, and get so into it!

So cute! Love the joy & sadness meet, they do a really great job there. Baymax is cool too, though Aria was a bit befuddled with how to meet him. The photo of Delilah wearing the baseball hat is cute :) Too bad Soarin went down, but nice you found a quiet spot to nurse.

The Joy & Sadness meeting area is SO fantastic! Love that it is so detailed. Baymax is a fun meet, but it would be cool to be able to see him in his super hero red outfit too. And I'm still bummed that we missed out on seeing him originally with Hiro at DHS.

The kids look so happy this morning!

That's great that you were able to get both sets of character meets done pretty quickly. Love the pics with Joy & Sadness!

Bummer about Soarin being down!

They were in a great mood, which always makes it a bit easier to get up and moving.

We had to make sure to plan a morning particularly for those meets because Joy & Sadness were still so new in the parks and posting long waits longer in the day. I wish they offered FP for them, because it was nice meeting them without a long wait, but kind of strange to hustle to a meet and greet first thing at rope drop.

Joining in! Cannot WAIT to meet Joy/Sadness and Baymax-- we have been stalking him for awhile, but he was never meeting on previous trips. Inside Out is one of my favorite movies ever.

Your trip looks great-- we didn't take our kids until they were 3/4, so the baby stage is so much fun for me to see. Your daughter looks so enthralled with everything, and your son is such a Disney kid-- I love when they think of it as such a normal part of life, and get so into it!

Welcome!!

Our family loves Inside Out, so I was really excited that they added Joy & Sadness just before our trip! The meeting area for them was just perfect.

We waited on taking DS until he was a year old, which is still pretty young in the grand scheme of things, but it was definitely different taking DD so very young. But we got a lot of experiences on our different trips starting at 3 months and up until 14 months this past October. Each one with her was so different!

My son is totally a Disney kid! He really loves it and looks forward to our trips as much as DH and I do. He loves drawing pictures of the park and things we have done on previous trips, he loves talking about past and future trips, and speculating what future trips will be like. I totally love it!

First off, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday! We had a great Christmas ourselves, but I'm looking forward to this long weekend to be able to catch up on TRs that I feel like I have neglected. At least for this TR, these couple of posts should wrap everything up! It was a quick trip, and a quick TR!

When I left off, we were heading to the America pavilion to have lunch. On the way, we stopped to check out some of the topiaries we had missed the other day.

Up first in our topiary hunt was the gang from Peter Pan in the UK pavilion!

May 04-056

May 04-057

May 04-058
I’m pretty sure this is the dessert party viewing area in France where we ended up watching Illuminations on our adult only trip later that summer in July for the Mega Meet weekend! Funny how DH took that and we didn’t even know we’d be taking the July trip yet.

May 04-059

May 04-060
We headed inside for a quick lunch of burgers. DD was able to have some puffs and other snacks while we ate our lunches.

Untitled
Did I mention just how much easier meals were now that DD could sit up in the highchair AND feed herself?!

After our lunch, we spotted another topiary in America.

May 04-061
DS decided to play a little game of “Be That Topiary.”

May 04-062

May 04-063

DH had spotted one of these frozen lemon strawberry slushes with vodka the other day, and really wanted one, so he stopped today to get one.

Untitled

Then we stopped in Italy for DS to do some coloring at the Kidcot station.

May 04-064

Since we were right there, I dashed over to the gelato cart outside the pavilion for a gelato cookie sandwich.

Untitled
This looked like for approximately 7.43 seconds before it became a quickly melting mess!

I had to basically throw that thing down my throat as the gelato was melting faster than I could eat it, so while it was good, I didn’t get to really ENJOY it!

May 04-065
Yes, please take me back on this trip!!!

May 04-066

May 04-067

May 04-068
We spotted them taking Photopass pictures in front of the pavilion, so we stopped to take some. When the photographer was finished, he remarked on what a great smile DD had given, so I jumped on to the app to see the pictures, and he was right!

Next we went over to Germany!

May 04-069

May 04-070
A trip to the Germany pavilion would not be complete without a stop to watch the trains.

May 04-071

May 04-072

While DS went inside the shop in Germany to get his Duffy stamped, I looked around at their selection of Tangled merchandise. Nothing good for adults, but I did manage to find a kids shirt with Rapunzel on it that didn’t look too juvenile, and I bought it in the biggest kids size they had.

May 04-073
African outpost

On to China!

May 04-074

May 04-075

May 04-076
The girls from Frozen are of course out in full display in Norway.

May 04-077

May 04-078

We tried to stop in to ride the Three Caballeros ride in Mexico, but the line was way too long. DS stopped at the Kidcot stop for one more stamp and to finish off his Duffy.

Untitled

Continued in next post...

Last edited:

It was time for DD to nurse again, so I ended up taking her to baby care because it was just way to hot outside to find somewhere to do it. She did make me laugh this one particular time because as she was finishing up and I had her sitting on my lap, a woman had come in to pump and DD started dancing to the sound of the lady’s pump! She’s so silly! Lol

While we were doing that, DS had found another playground.

May 04-079

May 04-080

After texting back and forth, we had decided we would meet up at the Butterfly House because DS wanted to do that again. As we were walking through the butterfly garden, I noticed an adult couple eating squeeze packs of applesauce. I thought that was kind of odd for a second, but then looked around and noticed almost everyone had one. This was the first time I was going through the butterfly garden, but DS and DH had been through on our first Epcot day, so I asked DH where people were getting the applesauce pouches from, and he said, “I don’t know, they brought it from home?” I said, “Look around! You think everyone brought the exact same pouch from home?!” lol Turns out, there are two entrances to the butterfly garden, and they were giving them out at the opposite one than what we had gone through, so we got a few on the way out.

May 04-082

May 04-083

We went back into the Innoventions building with our snacks to let the kids cool off a bit while they ate their applesauce.

May 04-081

Untitled

While we were in there, we decided to pick up another set of the AP Flower & Garden prints with my AP, so I went inside the room to do that while the kids took their break. I met another Louisiana born CM from New Orleans and who had gone to college at the University near where we live now.

In the end, we ended up with two complete sets of the AP prints. We kept one for ourselves and donated the second set to the auction for Give Kids the World that the DIS put together over their Mega Meet weekend.

Untitled

DD and I ended up staying there in the cool a/c while DH and DS gave it one more go to use the Soarin’ FP, which apparently DH took no photos of at all. I was sitting at one of the tables while she stayed in her stroller, and we were just playing together when an older couple asked if they could share our table. We chatted a bit, and they enjoyed playing with DD and getting her to smile at them, which made the wait for DH and DS go by more quickly.

Once they were done, we were about ready to call it a day, so we started making our way to the front of the park. We did stop in the Art of Disney store where Larry Dotson was doing a signing. We had seen him for the first time on our honeymoon and fell in love with his prints, so we bought one of Cinderella Castle. We have since seen him once more and got him to personalize a 40th anniversary print of the MK train station, so we had to stop again this time! We bought a Flower & Garden print and he personalized it for us.

And I pined over things like this that are way too expensive.

Untitled

We stopped for one more Photopass at the front of the park before leaving.

We were halfway back to the resort when I realized DD’s pink cat Wubbanub was missing. She had it in the stroller for sure in the art store, but I realized later looking at the pictures that it was gone by the time we stopped for Photopass. I was even more annoyed to realize that after keeping track of it so carefully the entire weekend, she had lost it in the last 10 minutes we were in the park!

Once we got back to Cypress Palms, we warmed up leftovers for dinner and got the rest of our stuff packed. DH went to fill the truck up with gas so that would be one less thing to do in the morning, and he ended up stopping to get us some Marble Slab ice cream to bring back since our stop at Baskin Robbins on a previous night had been such a disaster!

We got to bed that night and had an early wakeup the next morning so we could hit the road early and get home at a decent time. The drive home was long, but thankfully uneventful!

May 2016 Wrap Up
CROWDS: Well, it was pretty crowded. But with it being a long weekend and nearly summer, it wasn't totally unexpected. And with it being another bonus trip with a focus specifically on Flower & Garden, it didn't really impede us at all. Despite being offsite, we had pretty good FP+ to use all things considered, and we didn't feel like we needed to do and see everything, so the crowds did not really affect us as much as they may have had this been our one and only trip for the year.

WEATHER: Not gonna lie, it felt hotter than Hades! We were dripping with sweat first thing in the morning every day. Another good thing about this being a bonus trip is that we didn't feel bad when we had to tap out because of the heat and call it an early day, spending the afternoon at the room or in the pool. It was probably made even worse for me because I was still wearing DD in the carrier a lot at that point. But I was thankful she could manage in a stroller better, so I could take a break. Having another warm body snuggled up to me in that heat didn't make it any more bearable, that's for sure! We had taken a lot more precautions against the heat this time, and I have to say, they really helped. We had two chilly pads, a stroller fan, a misting fan, and a handheld fan to battle the heat, and I don't think we would have survived nearly as well without them!! And the heat was also a good excuse for DS to bring his bathing suit to MK and get to run around the water play area in Storybook Circus to keep cool!

RESORT: We have stayed at Cypress Palms sporadically in the past (a few nights on a trip when I was pregnant with DS, and again for one night when we added on to our trip but couldn't get another night at Bonnet Creek), and it serves our needs just fine. But given a choice, I would choose Bonnet Creek over Cypress Palms any day. The units are smaller and older, and the resort is further away from the parks than Bonnet Creek, so we have to factor in additional travel time to and from the parks. But for a last minute trip on a budget, we just can't beat getting to stay here on points and not having to pay for a hotel! Plus it was nice having more food options close by, literally right in front of the resort, so we could eat dinner offsite without having to drive somewhere farther away.

FLOWER & GARDEN FESTIVAL: As listeners of many Disney podcasts, Flower & Garden is something we have heard about for years but have never really had the chance to check it out. When given the choice, we will always pick the fall as our preferred choice to travel to Disney. But with our APs burning holes in our pockets, and the option of staying at Cypress Palms and not having to pay for a hotel, the option of taking another bonus trip to check out the festival was really appealing. And considering we had done it and loved it for our November trip to say farewell to the Osborne Lights, this seemed like the best time to see the festival if it was ever going to happen. And I gotta say, we really loved it! I don't know that I'd plan another trip at this time just to see it, but if the chance to go maybe a little earlier in the festival when it isn't SO hot came up, we probably would do it. The topiaries and plant life all around Epcot really enhanced the look of the park. DH just loved those gorgeous shots of the monorail going over the water with the flowers floating on the surface. All of the colors were so vibrant and beautiful! DS really enjoyed hunting down all of the character topiaries, as well. I think the only one we didn't end up seeing was Buzz Lightyear. And of course, he loved the addition of all of the playgrounds!

Once again, thank you so much to everyone who has been following this TR & commenting! Y'all make it even more fun to relive this trips through a TR! If you aren't already, you can follow along with DH's and my adults only July trip when we went down for the DIS Mega Meet to celebrate their 10th anniversary. We had a ton of fun! It can be found here: Come On, Drink the Fart! DIS Mega Meet July 2016 And keep an eye out there, because I'll post a link there for our October TR once I get it started!! DH has been working on pictures, but I'll have to get him to pick up the pace now that this one is complete!

Those PP pictures with DD smiling are great! She is adorable! My goodness.

I'm so glad you were able to experience the Flower and Garden Festival. It's beautiful and so unique. In my mind, it's totally worth the heat and the crowds to go see at least once.

What a fun trip - loved reading about it! The PP picture of your DD smiling was a perfect family photo! Love her head gear - such a pretty color and looked so cute in the pictures. My sister and I went for F&G in March prior to the spring break craziness. The weather was pretty perfect and not too hot. I received a windfall of Disney gift cards for Christmas and tentatively planning a Fall trip. We've never been to MNSSHP so really looking forward to that! Looking forward to reading about your Oct. trip.

Those PP pictures with DD smiling are great! She is adorable! My goodness.

I'm so glad you were able to experience the Flower and Garden Festival. It's beautiful and so unique. In my mind, it's totally worth the heat and the crowds to go see at least once.

Thank you! I was surprised she did so well for those pictures in particular because the sun was shining right in our faces in that spot. lol

It was really great to get to see it for the first time! Hopefully it won't be our last, but at least I can no longer say I have never seen it.

What a fun trip - loved reading about it! The PP picture of your DD smiling was a perfect family photo! Love her head gear - such a pretty color and looked so cute in the pictures. My sister and I went for F&G in March prior to the spring break craziness. The weather was pretty perfect and not too hot. I received a windfall of Disney gift cards for Christmas and tentatively planning a Fall trip. We've never been to MNSSHP so really looking forward to that! Looking forward to reading about your Oct. trip.

Thanks so much for following along!

I'm glad she actually kept bows on at that point in time, because most of the time now she snatches them off her head at the first chance she gets. lol

I bet March would be a great time to visit for F&G. That's more what I'm thinking if we ever decide to do a sprintime trip again. Maybe one year when Mardi Gras is a little later and overlaps with the festival that would be a good choice! Still a bit crowded, but at least the weather will be nicer.

We LOVE fall trips, if it wasn't obvious by how many we have taken!! lol MNSSHP is fantastic, and definitely our very favorite "extra" that we do on our trips. I know I will miss it a lot this year, but we are hoping for our next party in 2018.

Then we realized there were a LOT more characters around. We had stumbled upon character training!!
Wow, that's awesome!

29122136016_90589c28fe_c.jpg
This looks like an ad for Disney! Beautiful!

Sorry for so many, it’s hard to choose between all of these photos of him having such a great time on this ride!
Totally understandable - great shots of his joy!

For the first time maybe ever, we actually had to queue up for the People Mover and wait a bit. Not long, but it was just something we aren’t used to. Just goes to show us that even when it’s busy in October when we normally go, it’s not “line for the People Mover” busy!
Yep, I had that happen once and it feels SO weird to be waiting in line for the Peoplemover. Luckily, it goes fast.

I have a soft spot for the Tea Cups after a magical experience there this trip! <3
I was thinking the same thing as I read that update! :goodvibes

Such a cutie!

She even took him over to the control panel to show him all of the buttons and knobs.
Ha, that was Izzy's favorite part - and I was like, "Of COURSE, she wants to control everything!" :headache:

We spotted them taking Photopass pictures in front of the pavilion, so we stopped to take some. When the photographer was finished, he remarked on what a great smile DD had given, so I jumped on to the app to see the pictures, and he was right!

That's adorable!

Thanks for sharing the trip and I'm heading over to the next one! :goodvibes

Sounds like a great time at Epcot. So many pretty pictures and great PP pictures!

I'm glad you guys were able to take this trip and experience Flower & Garden! Sounds like it was a wonderful trip.

Thanks as always for sharing!!

Thanks for sharing with us. I'm feeling kind of nervous about the heat factor after reading about how it affected things for you on this trip and it wasn't even in the heat of summer. We're going in July for our first summer trip since having kids. I'd have a hard time leaving MK at 2:30 in the afternoon, but it looks like it was a good call.

Your last day exploring EPCOT looks like it was a lot of fun and a great way to end the trip.

Loved the ending! What a fun bonus trip!! I love how cute Delilah was with the photopass photographer, what awesome smiles!! Really fun time at EPCOT it looks like. So nice how into the kidkot stations Paxton was, and how nice to have the free applesauce packets at the butterfly garden (that must have been a funny sight with all the adults around eating applesauce packets though!).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter