• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You CAN run e-ticket on an iPod or iPad (and Android users) in the parks IF...

MM32830

DIS Veteran
... you have an Android phone! This will also allow Android phone users the ability to run e-ticket.

Weird, but keep reading.

Recently, Android phone users have been getting pushed a new version of the Android operation system; Version 2.2, called FroYo. I just got mine this weekend and it has one feature that can make lots of people happy.

3G HotSpot.

What this does is to allow your Android phone to become a 3G hotspot. Turn it on and your wifi capable iPod Touch or iPad now has access to the internet through your Android phone. I've tried this and it works well. I suggest you use security (the hotspot supports WEP, WPA and WPA2) to make sure others in the parks don't hop on to your wifi signal.

Many of us Android users also have an iPod Touch so now you can have your cake (or pie!) and eat it, too!

This works on my HTC Incredible phone. I have not tested it with any other brand of phone but it should work as long as your phone has FroYo.

Where is this on the phone. I've looked and all I see is tethering

It's not being made available on all phones. Verizon is only including it in the Froyo rolled out for newer phones. Older phones don't get it - basically, Verizon's ploy to get people to upgrade their phones. I believe that you can still get this feature if you root your phone and re-install a full image of Froyo yourself. But the standard rollout of Froyo onto an older phone will not have hotspot ability.

What kind of phone do you have (Brand/Model)?

Mine is in SETTINGS - WIRELESS & NETWORKS - 3G MOBILE HOTSPOT

Do you have FroYo (Android O/S Version 2.2)? You can check this by going to SETTINGS - ABOUT PHONE - SOFTWARE INFORMATION - ANDROID VERSION. This NEEDS to be 2.2

Well that stinks. I have the regular droid and just got it last month. I have android 2.2.

Well that stinks. I have the regular droid and just got it last month. I have android 2.2.

If it's been less than 30 days, go exchange is for an HTC Incredible (or Droid2/Droid X).

Droid X has it without the new update. We haven't gotten the update for the droid x yet.

Sprint HTC EVO has it, I just activated it and hooked up my laptop to try it out. Worked great. I then used my iPod touch and was able to access Netflix and watch movies!

With Verizon at least, this is an extra $20/month charge to be able to run the 3G-Mobile hotspot.

I use it a lot, its well worth it for me.

NOTE: It drains batteries FAST - it's recommended to only use it while plugged into AC.

Here is what I do...

Cradlepoint.jpg

Sprints hot spot is 4G where available and is $29.99 a month, no contract.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter