You Go West Girl!

We also packed enough clothes to not wash. However, 19 of our group rented ATV's in Moab and we were COVERED with mud. All 19 of us washed clothes when we got back to the hotel.
FYI, the ATV's were a HUGE hit. We also did the hour helicopter tour over grand canyon which was amazing. 3 of my kids and my husband rode horses in Moab while my youngest daughter and I did the hummer tour. All were very fun. Your guides will set up any activity for you. Very easy and so many great memories.
Have the adventure of a lifetime!

Thanks Cindy18! Sounds like packing light is the way to go--and we may be able to still avoid laundry. (I always end up taking too much though!--but I will try to resist. . . .)

Looking forward to Tammydel's next post. . . and watching the news for any new reports on the flooding!

Turtlemom :surfweb:

OK
I know everyone is waiting to hear about the start of our ABD trip, but I have to finish up about our stay the night before. I really feel for anyone with kids who wants to come out before the trip begins, the Arizona Grand was a great place and you may want to plan on more than one night. We wished we had.

Saturday morning my DH went to the fitness center and the kids and I packed up and went to breakfast. DH met us there, it was very nice. Then we went back to the waterpark. They had band playing some Hawaiian music. As much as we were looking forward to our Adventure, we were sad to be leaving so soon, we seriously talked about going back. Here are a few more pictures.
th_August16thDisneyadventuresday1007-C.jpg
This is the wave pool - during an off time for the waves.
th_August16thDisneyadventuresday1009-C.jpg
Band playing under tent.
th_August16thDisneyadventuresday1010-C.jpg
view of lazy river.
th_August16thDisneyadventuresday1013-C.jpg
The 2 big slides. There is also a lower twisty slide to the side.

Funny, I didn't hinkI did those pictures any different than the first ones. But these turned out so small and the others are so big?!?
I'll get there.

So our car comes and we go back to the airport. We managed to find the right Starbucks (Terminal 4, 3rd floor). We were lucky because later we saw there was another Starbucks on the same floor.
Anyway - arriving was a funny moment because you are looking around for people with the ABD bags and wondering about who else is going on your trip. After a few minutes our guides Geraldine and Korey arrived. They greeted us and told us to leave our bags with them and go have some lunch. We would meet back in about 45 minutes.
*Note for those coming into Phoenix airport, I had a really great sandwich at the Paradise (I think) Bakery.
We met back up and loaded into the bus. On the way out of Phoenix we spent time admiring the very different scenery, then hit....traffic. There was an accident that slowed us down, some things not even Disney can control. We had brought a lot to entertain us on the bus rides, we really didn't need anything. Almost everyone spent most of their time watching the landscape change, even the kids.
Montezuma’s castle was very cool, you so wish you could get inside, but of course you understand why you can't. We were a little confused about the Jr. Ranger program. I some people knew more about National Parks, and knew what it was it about. The "step on guide" said that he had some books with activities and if they did the activities they got a badge. Well we got the books, but then the kids were caught up in the sights and listening to the tour. We thought they could just take the books back to the hotel and work on them in the room. We were wrong, the “step on guide" explained that it was almost time to turn them in and then there would be a badge ceremony. Well my kids looked at the books and we realized the activities were broken down by age and theirs were too involved to do in a few minutes. We ended up not doing it (only a few did do it in the end) and had to give the books back. It seemed that people who know more about the National Parks Program knew what to expect - we didn't. So now you know. If your kids want the badge, hop to it and do your activities!

Next we are back on the bus and off to Sedona.
I was not prepared for what we would see. I was prepared to be in awe when we arrive at the Grnad Canyon, but i didn't know it would happen this soon into the trip. If I had to go home as soon as we got to our hotel, I would have felt like the trip was worth it. I have some pictures, but they are all from though the bus window. As we sort, I hope to pickout the best, but here are some... and as you know, pictures can not do it justice.
August16thDisneyadventuresday1047.jpg

August16thDisneyadventuresday1050.jpg

August16thDisneyadventuresday1049.jpg

We had some rain as we arrived (they call it monsoon season, in NY we call it thunderstorms). Dinner was pushed back 1/2 hour because we were a little later due to the traffic leaving Phoenix and entering Sedona (lots of crazy construction going on). Dinner was fun, all the entertainment was great. Tyler held both the tarantula and the snake.
August16thDisneyadventuresday106-1.jpg

August16thDisneyadventuresday1062.jpg

We were all getting sleepy by the time food was ready. There was a sliced beef, salmon, au gratin potatoes and mixed summer vegetables. The food was very good, I enjoyed it, but my kids were hoping for a more "kid friendly" choice. Perhaps they are just picky, other kids seemed to take what was offered, not sure how much they really ate, but they could have been just sleepy.
Speaking of sleepy, I was asleep very soon after I swallowed my last bite. That's why no trip report last night.

Sleepy is coming into play again. I may need to get some sleep before all my pictures from toady are uploaded.

I'll give you some random thoughts before bed.

Weather has been quite cool in the early morning and evening. Bring a sweatshirt for sure, and a rain jacket - because of the afternoon rain.

Cindy - I told Geraldine you said hello. She was pleased. There are some folks on this trip that have read the trip reports on the Dis boards and were talking about them (very favorably!)

We had he cowGIRL for our jeep tour. She was awesome, try and get her if she here that day.

The jeep tour was another one of those moments that I thought, if I had come and only been able to do THIS it would have been worth it.

I kind of thought the lassoing and soap carving would be a little ho-hum. I was wrong. It was the perfect, down time activity. We all laughed through the rope throwing and the kids loved the soap carving, so did I. It is very relaxing, the 4 of us each made one and then the kids each made another. (You can but the tools in the gift shop)

The kids had bonding time in the pool with the other kids from the tour. I said to my husband that this "making friends" at the pool happens at Disney a lot. But then they usually don't see the kids again. Here, they get to spend the next week with them. I see how they will grow close.

My DH had a massage at the spa. I said I'm waiting for after the Delicate Arch hike!

The Cowboy Club (maybe the name) was very busy for dinner so we went to The Orchard instead. Our server didn't have much English, but they did have all the food my kids were craving (spaghetti, mac and cheese, chicken tenders). Here's the hint***none of that is on the menu, you just have to ask about a kid's menu and they tell you what they have. Strange but true.

Guides are great, others on the tour are very nice.

I'm sad we did not get connecting rooms, I knew it could happen. They are right next to each other. Last night DD and I slept in one room and DH and DS in the other. Tonight we are all sharing in one. But having 2 bathrooms is great.
We'll see what will happen at the next hotels. (This affects my posting because DH is the keeper of the computer.)

OK, gotta sleep. Hoping not to wake up at 3:50AM like this morning!

Happy Trails!
Tammy

Great to hear updates Tammy! The pictures of Sedona from the coach made me grin. I absolutely remember that sense of astonishment as we got close to those red rocks for the first time. I know that by the end of your day today, you will be at the south rim of the Grand Canyon, and it just keeps getting better. Give Geraldine a hug from me and from our family too, and keep having a blast!

Well here I am finally back and live from Moab, Utah!

There was no internet access in the rooms at the Grand and the WIFI in the lobby was s o s l o w. There wasn't time to wait for pages to load - except perhaps late at night and I was way too tired (Cindy I don't know how you did it!).

We packed up and left the Amara reluctantly - it was very nice there and Sedona is so beautiful. As we were leaving I discovered two things
1) We owed $$ because we forgot to leave a credit card with the front desk and had charged a few things to the room. The way you check in, just getting the keys and going straight to the room, it was easy to forget - luckily they caught up with me though so I wouldn't be on a wanted sign!!!
2) This is Geraldine's last trip for the season! She is awesome and it was easy to see that it was sad for her to leave the Amara. One of the aspects that makes this trip so wonderful is obviously the great relationship that our ABD guides have developed with the staff at each resort.

Our nature walk was very nice and amazingly not too hot. Our Red Rock State Park guide was very knowledgeable (this has been the case throughout so far) it is amazing the difference a little water can have on the landscape!

Back on the bus we made great time and arrived a little early at Grand Hotel. Geraldine decided we should go straight to the Canyon before checking in - we were pleased and excited. You really could feel the excitement build on the bus as we entered the park and got closer. Also you could see very dark clouds forming overhead. You could also see lightening and you could hear thunder. Geraldine talked to us about her "special" plan of how we would all first see the canyon - sap that I am I am tearing up as I type- she also passed out ponchos because it was starting to rain rather hard.

I can't remember right now if anyone else described this particular method of 'first sight' and I'm a little torn about giving it away - but I don't think anything can take away from that moment. So..
She had us all hold hands with our families and look down at the ground. We followed the sound of her voice across the street and to the guardrail. All of us, in line, holding on to our families, NOT peeking. Then she said "OK now" and there was this collective gasp that could be heard over the pounding rain. I'm sure in that moment everyone squeezed their families a little tighter. I know we did. There is no way I could describe the sight. All I can say is that it is a sight that you do not just see, you feel it to the very core of your being, it's an overwhelming feeling. Having seen many pictures and videos I can now honestly say, none of it can really give you any idea how it is to stand on the edge of the canyon looking out into it.
We spent a little more time looking, but it was raining REALLY hard by now, so we ran first to the gift shop and then to the bus.

The Grand Hotel really was fine. I thought the staff all went out of their way to be very friendly. My only complaint (again - so maybe it really is just us) my kids found the dinner buffet not to their liking. It was sliced beef, ribs and chicken all slathered in a very red barbeque sauce. Geraldine did get us some chicken w/o the sauce (she is so good) and we ordered - from the menu- some macaroni and cheese, we offered to pay for it to the waiter but he said not to worry about it. So the great staff really fixed our only issue.

Next morning the step on guide was great and the views from the spots that the bus took us to were fabulous. You get let off inside the Park at Bight Angel Lodge which is right next to the Thunderbird that ABD will be using next year. You folks should have great views and easy access to the canyon all the time. I asked Geraldine if it wasn't a little weird working with the staff at the Grand now that ABD has announced a new hotel for next year. She said it is a little weird but they know the manager well and because of the good relationship the guides have with him it is a little less weird than it could be.
Everyone had a great time going back for sunset views even though it was an "on your own" time. The guides played games with the kids on the grass near the El Tovar and we took great shots of the sunset. Then we all went back to town on the bus to a pizza/pasta (and Beer I should add) place. It was loud, crazy fun. The kids by this point were well bonded and sat together. Grownups enjoyed talking and having a cold adult beverage. My son started not feeling well - I think inspired by riding in the back of the bus with the other kids, he of course disagrees!- but it was a very short walk back to the hotel.

So the next day was another moment when I was glad I was on this tour and NOT trying to drive this on our own. Yes, 6 hours on a bus is a very long time. But it was our own little rolling island of civilization. You go for LONG times where there is really nothing. I live in upstate NY and have driven across western NY. I thought that there was nothing. This seems like a whole different country, sometimes planet. If we were on our own we would have been worried about where to buy gas, food and have rest stops. Heaven forbid anything go really wrong. You could go 100 miles and see nothing but a few trailers in the middle of a desolate field. If the years and having children have reduced my adventurous spirit to riding on a bus watching Disney's Cars movie, so be it, sign me up.

On the way to Moab we stopped in Monument Valley. Amazing, these gigantic rock structures sitting there in front of you. I am having trouble describing the sights you see on this trip. I will go through and post pictures, but I know having seen the pictures before I came, they don't really give you the "feel" of what it is like to be right here. Sometimes I can't believe this is the same country that I live in. We have natural beauty where I live, but this is on such a different proportion, harsh in ways perhaps, but very humbling. Some description of Monument Valley I know, I'm sorry.
You ride in the back of these pickups with rows of seats and a roof cover. It is very bumpy and very dusty. I was jealous of some people who had bandanas to tie over their faces, that would have been nice! But the bumps made it exciting and the dust washes off.
I sure thought a lot about the native people and what their life is like there. This is tough land to live on...I guess that's a whole other discussion for another place and time.

Now we are here at the Red Cliffs Lodge. It is great, you kind of get that visiting a ranch experience. We had dinner last night (pasta, kids were happy) and settled in. The rooms are HUGE. We got the connecting rooms that we had requested (had them at the Grand as well). So two of these rooms together is so much space. I'm glad we are here for 3 nights, but I'm sure it won't seem like enough.
We did the hike to Delicate Arch this morning. Whew! Not for the delicate I tell you. I would say it is only moderately strenuous, although there are some uphill stretches that will take away your breath. But there is the issue of some of it being - well slanted, with some drop offs. My DH has a fear of heights, I usually don't. But on this hike, with the kids, I certainly was more than a little nervous at times. At the Arch, it ended up being my son and I who made the final trip around to stand under the Arch. I think Sayhello described it as walking along the inside of a bowl. Yep. I'm so glad we did it, I felt a real sense of accomplishment and was very proud of my son, I'm also so glad it's done.

Had lunch in town - Slickrock Grill, good food, slow service - perhaps they were overwhelmed by many of our group coming in.

Now we are back at the hotel. DH has the kids at the pool while I type. I wanted to get a massage after the hike and had asked last night, but they bring someone in from town and no one was available. Tonight is the Jr. Adventurer night out (and parent’s night out!)

I can't believe tomorrow is the last full day of the ABD trip! It will be a full one. We are horseback riding in the AM, and then there is a group BBQ. We all raft in the afternoon and finally we have our farewell dinner.

I have uploaded the pictures, I'll sit and try to pick out some good ones.

Turtlemom - I know you've begun your trip - If you get access to a computer - Have a spectacular time! I will be waiting to hear about your trip.

Any questions I'll try and answer as quickly as I can.

Here is the jeep from the Red Rocks Jeep tour in Sedona
August17thDisneyadventuresday2008.jpg

Here is a view while on that tour
August17thDisneyadventuresday2011.jpg

My kids lassoing a bull
August17thDisneyadventuresday2032.jpg

Just realized many pictures are onthe computer, but not on photobucket yet. I'll work on that.

I'm enjoying reading about your trip. We did this ABD in May and just loved it!! And reading about yours it like reliving mine again - except I have to go to work everyday and not do fun things!!

I am glad your family is having a good time.

Tammydel! Great pictures. So glad you're enjoying the trip. I just got back from a jaunt to Seattle, so I've missed your real-time reports up till now. But I'm all caught up now!

You made it all the way up to under Delicate Arch! Yay! It's not easy, but it *does* give you a sense of accomplishment. Any pictures of your feat? A massage would have been great after that -- sorry they weren't able to arrange it.

Isn't the Red Cliffs Lodge wonderful? I loved it there.

Interesting about the Grand, it hadn't occurred to me about the "awkwardness" of the hotel change. Did either of the Guides mention why the change was made? I'm assuming it's because of the location; from what I hear the Thunderbird is more rustic than the Grand. But you can't beat the location!

So fun reading your reactions, and re-living the trip. Looking forward to reading about the rafting tomorrow!

Sayhello

We've been checking for your reports Tammy Del. Great to read about your week! Not surprised that it's blowing you away. We feel the same way about the scenery. Pictures don't capture it, and somehow you can't believe you are in the same country. You will have a terrific time today, and I hope you and DH had a nice quiet dinner last night with the spectacular views for romance!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter