You know it's time for a mini-van when . . .

I just want to say that T&C went over a huge overhaul starting with their 2011 models. That is when the relationship with Fiat started impacting the production. Obviously we don't know the long term outcome of the van but I wouldn't have touched anything less than a 2011 with a 10 foot pole.

Well,that's somewhat reassuring to read since we have a 2012.:thumbsup2

When I started nannying and had two of my own I went to the mini-van after swearing them off! I mean, I was in my 20's.. 2o somethings don't drive mini-vans!

My first one was a used 2005 Town and Country Touring. Dvd, sliding doors, blah blah, blah.... Loved the car, HATED the repairs and everything that went (and EVERYTHING went! DVD,AC,Heat)! I just traded it in (and got beans) and got a used 2008 Toyota Sienna LE. No Dvd player or leather seats, but it does have power sliding doors, and power windows. I adore it even more than my last van. It is huge and has a ton of spaces to store stuff. So far I am much happier with the Toyota than the T&C. Apparently I wasn't the only pone with T&C issues though!

With all that said, Sienna for us was a huge price jump.... vans are expensive :(

I have two kids, ages 5 and 8. When they were younger we looked at minivans, but actually ended up with a Jeep Grand Cherokee for a few years. I am a small person, so I have trouble seeing out the rear window and blind spots, and was nervous about driving something that seemed so big to me. However the minivan I did highly consider was the Honda Odyssey. By the time our daughter was 3 and our son was 1 we realized we didn't even need the Jeep, so I down-sized to a Honda Civic SI. I see the point of having a larger vehicle when one has bulky car seats. Thankfully my children are only in those little portable boosters with regular seatbelts these days.

I had bought mine when I got sick of hitting my head getting the baby in and out of the car seat in our Mazda Protege. I miss that car.

At the time I bought a Plymouth Voyager. I had that thing for 10 years until it about fell apart.
My friend has a Honda Odyssey that she likes.

My DW and I have given in and with the birth of our second daughter we agree that with all the stuff that goes with the kids it is probably time for a mini-van.

For others that already have a mini-van, how did you know that it was time for a mini-van? What make/model did you choose? :drive:

We knew because we are both tall & it was a pain to bend over all the time to put 2nd DD in her carseat. We originally had a Ford Windstar but traded it when the transmission started going at 98K. We now have a Toyota Sienna & love it. I will be driving it until it dies, hopefully my last one.

I held out until I got pregnant with baby #4. With 2 soccer players and all their crap, a stroller and 2 kids in carseats, it was a no brainer for us. I had one until this fall when it piddled out and we went with a Chevy Traverse. I may have stuck with a minivan, but FIL works for GM so we stick with Chevys and they don't make minivans anymore.

I don't think I could drive anything different now. I like being up high, I like all the space and extra seating. I hate when I have to trade with DH and drive his car. I feel like my behind is dragging the ground :)

been there and done that with the 2nd child. NEVER again. We no have an SUV, I love it and won't ever drive a mini van again. I know others love them but I am not one of them.

We skipped right from a Pinto to a Suburban. Rented a few minivans on vacation, not sure how folks make do with something so small.

I love my Suburban more than any other car I have ever owned and so does DH, and he hated them before he drove one.

When we were going from 3 kids to 4. There just wasn't enough room for seating .

I bought an 08 Kia Sedona in 09 new form teh lot at a sigificant dicount because it was the past years model. love, love, love my van!

A long time ago when my two kids were smaller, we had a chevy astro van. I loved it. Took the passenger second row seat completely out so it was easier to get in and out. I was consistantly running dd to cheer or dance or baton and my ds was little. It was like his big playpen. He had plenty of room to climb all through it.

When you want one?

I don't understand the fuss over a minivan. What the heck are you folks carrying that you "need" a minivan? We got along just fine in a tiny Nissan Altima (before they became the bohemuth that it is today) with 2 kids, a stroller and a diaper bag my wife had to have.

We looked at them briefly when the Altima was getting up close to the 175,000 mile range before I had critical problems with my truck. At that point, we decided we "wanted" a small SUV instead of a minivan and I took the Altima for a few more painstaking years (automatic, blah.... :sick:)

We didn't need an SUV at the time either. We just wanted one. Too bad I had the thoughts of new and warranty and bought a Ford instead of buying a 5 year old Toyota or Honda.

well my daughter is a swimmer and I haul her and a bunch of her team mates to meets. She also plays basketball and I do the same thing. We also travel quite a bit, taking long weekend trips and it's nice to be able to carry everything we want and my daughter to still be able to stretch out in the car.

I wouldn't trade my van for anything. I drive a Grand Caravan and have never had a problem with it.

I've said it before and I'll say it again. I love my Toyota Sienna! We are only a family of four but I love the fact that we can have us and all our stuff in it at the same time. We've traveled to FL from NH 4 times with 4 and 5 people plus all our suitcases, food, etc for a weeks vacation and still had room leftover. My husband uses the van to sleep in when he goes camping for Mt bike races and we take all family trips with it. It's been to FL (as mentioned above), PA, NY.

We had a Dodge Grand Caravan before this one and we HATED it! We bought it used and it wasn't long before we were dumping money into it. When the AC needed to be replaced we were done.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter