• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

You know you are getting old when....

CHIPSTER said:
Daytime fireworks at EPCOT when the characters on go cart type machines flew over the lake in World Showcase

What?! Flying go-carts?? What was this called, I feel a huge need to google this!

What?! Flying go-carts?? What was this called, I feel a huge need to google this!

There were 2 things I remember - one was called Surprise in the Skies. There was also something similar for awhile called Skyeleidescope. I think the "flying go-carts" were ultralights.:)

So many memories in these posts!! Also very much missed River Country. And the Skyway. And being able to eat at table service restaurants without anything called ADR. And the food was better. Seriously. And the characters might be around at any time. You didn't have to wait in line to see them (and by the time you did we had outgrown that). And all the places that are gone now.
We too went to Wet N Wild on one of our trips and it was such a different experience than River Country, but we loved River Country. So many good memories. And yes, I have arthritis now too.
Wouldn't trade all my Disney memories for anything. And even the early years of Epcot are loaded with "remember when" attractions.
In some ways it was the good ol' days.
:grouphug:

Before I found Disboards, I remember paying $300 a night for a Contemporary tower room, and that was full price, no discounts. I thought it was insane to pay that much money per night. :rotfl2:

I know it's not old but I will forever miss Minnie's and Mickeys houses. And of course the characters all walking around and way more then just Minnie Mickey Donald and daisy. All the rare ones which didn't seem rare way back when.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

Okay-- so my memory is telling me of someone named Michael Iceburg playing keyboards (synthesizer) and singing at the tomorrowland terrace-- on a stage that raised up from the " basement"? I think it was in 1980... am I crazy?

I also remember it not being fully enclosed...

These are all great. Good memories indeed.
Many of my nostalgic favorites have already been mentioned: The magic shop on Main Street, the Skyway, River Country, the what seemed like the ENORMOUS game room in the Contemporary, the characters walking around on their own, the Spaceship Earth two-way video dining reservation station.

Anyone else remember the place in Innoventions in EPCOT where there was a live cast member sitting up on a kind of stage with headphones on and you could interact with him/her about computer hand other "future" stuff? Also, I fondly remember the small tempura bar/restaurant in the old Japanese restaurant in EPCOT where you could dip your own tempura.

And some really old ones: How about the Davy Crockett canoes in Frontierland? And my favorite, the AM radio station that you could tune into when you hit World Drive broadcasting all the news of the "World." Those were the days. :)

You could go to Epcot's Communicore in the morning and make TS meal reservations for that day at a kiosk that
featured a uniformed CM speaking with you via a 2-way video screen communicator.

We were just talking about this the other day - that was one of our favorite conveniences!

Each restaurant had it's own chef with it's own menu- the original EPCOT-the original Figment- I understand they need to make changes, but they should be for the better to quote an old song:"Make new friends but keep the old", the property was there for them to expand, not just replace.

How about when you could enjoy the buffets at Akershus, Chef Mickey and the Crystal Palace before they were character meals, and were more affordable.

You could go to Epcot's Communicore in the morning and make TS meal reservations for that day at a kiosk that
featured a uniformed CM speaking with you via a 2-way video screen communicator.

::yes:::sad:

Affordable prices for entrance and food

Lol I always get to hear about how Orlando was nothing and people used to stay at the CR or Poly and the ride ticket books. Believe my father said he used to get room at the Poly for $59 a night. He see's the prices now and refuses to go unless he is staying off-site.

River Country at Ft. Wilderness for sure...that place was awesome, even though it gave me such a bad ear infection the last time we went that I ended up in the hospital having my ear drained and on meds the rest of the week.

The smell of oranges as you entered Horizons at EPCOT.

The Wonders of Life pavilion at EPCOT.

And the sign that I personally am getting old....not being able to ride the teacups (and barely the carousel) without getting dizzy. I'm only 35!

No one has mentioned the Swan Boats at the MK. And all the topiaries viewed from the monorail on your way to the MK.

I remember going to the MK when it was the only park. I think it cost $11 to get in. An annual pass cost $100 and we laughed at the idea that anyone would spend so much money for that!

-$12 admission and A-E tickets
- date stamped on your admission ticket
- Swan boats
- Papeete bay verandah
- When you could get more than 1 FP per day for a good ride
- Top of the World
- Wave machine at Polynesian beach

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter