You thought it was impossible, but Pop Century is getting worse

All Aboard

Por favor mantengan se alejado de las puertas
We spent a long weekend in Jax and stopped at Epcot on the way home Sunday. As we use the Osceola to get back to the Turnpike, I take Victory to get there. That runs us right past Pop Century.

Well, the dreaded "word" theming is up on the 1980's and 1990's buildings. Some of the phrases are: Wassup, Word Up, Let's do Lunch, Dude... my short term memory just ran out. Trying not to run off the road, it was hard for me to make out the icons. These buildings are at the corner at Victory and Osceola and are very easy to see. Impossible to miss is more like it.

Yup, we use Osceola Parkway, too, and that complex is for the dogs. :) My wife said in the car that after looking at Pop Century, it makes you kinda embarrased that you visit Disney World. :) What we were thinking is how the buildings will look aged by the time that they open the hotel....Maybe even some burnt out lightbulbs! :)

Exactly, it cheapens the look of the place. What we wonder is what these properties are going to look like in twenty years? It's all so darn shortsighted their development the past few years. Look at Pop Century, it was built on the premise of boatloads of new customers flocking to WDW. Here in Central Florida, we literally have tens of thousands of new hotel rooms being built a year now, and the company is dillusional to think that the general public is going to pay the money (roughly $85 today) to stay at a so-so hotel just because it is at Disney, when they can stay at something quite nice rather close to the property without such an overinflated price. Disney executives are much in the same as many politicians, totally out-of-touch with their base. We stopped making excuses a long time ago as to where Disney was headed, it's a shame. Oh well, life doesn't end because Disney has their problems, too bad, so sad. :)

I was staying at Caribbean Beach this past weekend with my family and it really does ruin the view when you are out on boats on the third lake. My family always gets the boat plan and we always enjoy just relaxing on the boats on the third lake. Now there are ugly building with huge bowling pins and more just huge unfinished 3 floor buildings. By the way the stupidest phrases that I think I have seen are PHAT and Y2k. They are the directly to your right when you get off at 26C or D from I-4.

I have to agree with all of you.
I stayed at the Carribean Beach in Jan.
and it justmade us sick leaving the beuty of CB and running in to this psycadelic nightmare. This place makes the allstars look like moderates(maybe thats what their trying to do),hopefully they will build a big wall around it.

3 floor buildings.
Unfortunately, they're 4 stories.

By the way the stupidest phrases that I think I have seen are PHAT and Y2k.
Thanks for refreshing my short term memory.

The worst thing about Pop is it's location. It serves as a "first sight" for many travellers coming into a highly used entrance now. Right through the Mickey arch, look to your right, BLAM!

I can't believe they used those phrases. Isn't wassup from the Budweiser commercials? or least that is what made it so mainstream???

I'd rather bunk down in a zipperless Walmart sleeping bag strategically placed on the median of I Drive than pay money for Pop Century.

That is too funny. I Drive median is probably just as tastefully done as Pop Century. So sad too. I just feel that in coming years WDW is just gonna be to crowded for me.

I was just there last month to watch the Braves play at WWoS.

Leaving the game, I was able to drive right into the construction entrance of this abomination, where I stood next to my car and literally shuddered.

This is absolutely amateur hour!

I've used the term "vacation ghetto" in the past, and I stand by that description 100%. No amount of landscaping can save this thing.

I know some people are not big fans of the All Stars, but at least Disney hid those motels out of view. PC, however, is clearly visible from Caribbean Beach, the highway and Wide World of Sports - and this eye soar gets worse with each passing construction day.

Not only are the "catch phrases" that are perched atop each building incredibly lame, but they look like they've been cut out of cardboard. There is simply no way the Imagineers are at the helm here. It looks like the construction crew is making it up as they go along. "Do the Funky Chicken"...?

Ugh.

I know this thing holds the potential of bringing in over $3 million a week in rack rates alone but, my God, at what cost to the rest of the property?

Personally, I think WDW feels smaller and cramped with each passing project. Fewer and fewer of their developments seem tucked within a forest, but simply crammed next to one another ala Universal. So when WDW does further develop its land, it sure would be nice if each project had that Disney flare.

This honestly looks like they sold off 300 acres to Motel 6 and said "Do what you want, the check's cleared."

If WDW doesn't think this cheapens their property, particularly the Caribbean Beach Resort, they are positively delusional.

It's just tasteless bad business. How a company in the business of imagination approved this is truly inconceivable.

As a preface, I go down to Orlando usually once-twice a month. I really love disney, grew up on the magic, and want to see the Magic continue to touch people.

I drove by Pop Century on a recent trip, and thought "you have got to be kidding me!" It literally took me about five minutes to consume that idea that this idea / property belonged to Disney. It indicates a serious problem with the creative process, and also the management process, since someone ok's the funding of this terrible concept.

I would NEVER stay there, and I will encourage others to do the same.

Compared to the moderates and luxury resorts, AS looks "budget" but next to PC, it looks like a step up!
I am wondering if the strategy is to lure more teen groups on high school band , sports etc trips by offering group rates at this cheaper venue.
My neice went on a marching band trip and stayed at ASMu. She loved the themeing. And I am sure she would think Pop Century was fun too (she is 17!)
This would be smart because these groups also provide free entertainment when they perform in the parks-also, what adult would want to pay good money for a hotel room next to a group of teens away from their parents!
*********Just trying to make sense of this- I am thinking Mr Eisner knows it is tacky, but he must think some market share will think it is GROOVY!!!*************

:D :D :D Have a nice day while you are doin' the funky chicken!:) :) :)

I can't even type my sounds and expressions of horror at this news........

Oh, scoop, you are just too funny....and I think my family would be joining you on the I Drive median before staying there also. Actually, I think that's the location of the upcoming DVC Tent City Villas :jester:

The decoration of these buildings is so darned loud it will be a wonder if anyone can sleep inside them.

I've begun to compose my letter of complaint:

I'd rather stay right here than there
I'd rather stay most anywhere

I would not stay there for a dime
I will not stay there anytime

I do not like Pop Century!
I will not stay there, even free!

Never thought I'd see the day that Cheap and Tacky attractions and hotels were built at WDW.

I think they should take the PC resort and Dinorama and move the entire mess over to I-Drive. At least, that way, it would fit in the theme of Cheap and Tacky road side tourist trap!

Originally posted by Disney-Kim
I can't believe they used those phrases. Isn't wassup from the Budweiser commercials? or least that is what made it so mainstream???

As in wassup, Doc? Oooppppssss! Wrong company.

We have not seen this since Oct 2001, but thought it was pretty ugly even then.

As a Disney stockholder/shareholder, I want my money back. If they're going to crank out gaudy, cookie-cutter hotels, count me out. Several years back, a CM told me that the Swan and Dolphin were considered "Eisner's Folly" because they destroyed the image you get when looking past WS in Epcot. They're the only tall buildings on the property (excluding the theme park landmarks like Cindy's Castle, SE, TOT, Earful Tower, Tree of Life). It really does cut in on the atmosphere. Now we have corny, cheesy cutout phrases on the side of a 4 story hotel. It took me a while to get used to the All-Star Resorts, but as another poster said, at least they're out of sight. Sheesh. Before you know it, DCL will christen a third ship where guests can experience the thrill of powering a 70,000+ ton ship by rowing and charge for the honor...... Please, please, please....someone at Disney just stop the madness......

As we always go to WDW via the Osceola Pkwy I, too, can attest to the gaudiness of the latest PC building. As we were passing by two weeks ago, we couldn't believe what we were seeing. Mere words cannot describe the tackiness.

I loved Lesley's PC poem, though!

Lisa

This honestly looks like they sold off 300 acres to Motel 6 and said "Do what you want, the check's cleared."

Whatever one may think of Motel 6, they have NEVER built anything this tacky and gaudy as far as I know. But who has? ;) And please don't consider moving this monstrosity to International Drive. If I finally throw in the towel for a few years, I may just wind up staying on that road (or on the median ;) ) since there are still a few good hotels there. I really don't want to see this Pop Century mess!

Can anyone imagine the people who book Pop Century sight unseen and then drive up to it in all of its glory for the first time? Imagine if anyone who posted on this thread did so. Nothing like making a good first impression.

CBR is one of our favorites. We were there in November and fortunately didn't get a glimpse of Pop Century.
Everyone (?) has to watch their pennies, but did they have to make it 4 stories so it sticks out like a sore thumb (and not half as pretty) ?
I bought a book at DD our next to last trip on the architecture of Disney. Fascinating. Even the themed buildings have been a touch above tacky, even if you aren't into cartoons and oversized sports equipment, etc.
Who left those dogs out?

I am sure that all the travel guides except the normal AAA tourbooks will have a picture of the exterior of Pop Century so you can see what it looks like before booking. (AAA tourbooks do not have pictures of most of the resorts listed.)

When you draw the drapes and turn in for the night you can't see any of the gigantic wackiness outside. The room interiors are about the same shape and size as All Stars'.

Small kids will love Pop Century. A decade from now, they will point to those big signs saying things like "phat" and "y2k" and ask you the parent, "Did you really talk like that?"

Of course if things don't pan out in terms of 90% occupancy, Disney can always replace the decorations, although the 4 story buildings can remain.

More Disney tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

9/65 Disneyland
3/75 (World Inn* off I4 near DD)
4/85 (Kon-Tiki* on 192)
'80s Disneyland once or twice
7/94 POR
9/97 ASMu
11/98 ASMu
12/98 (Knights Inn on 192)
9/99 ASMo
12/00 ASSp
9/01 ASSp
11/01 ASSp
*no longer exists

Federal Express has not renewed its sponsorship of Space Mountain. What will happen to those giant soda cups at All Star Sports if another company replaces Coca Cola as the official soft drink supplier to WDW?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter