You went to Disney? But you don't have kids.

I was talking to a neighbour who goes to Egypt, Turkey and Tunisia regularly for her holidays, she travels solo and admits she does get pestered by men, always a lot younger than her and she accepts it as part of the holiday that is a bit of a negative, but, does love the places she goes to and puts up with it, now, that would scare and annoy me. I go to WDW solo because I feel safe and sitting on a beach or by the pool for 14 days would be my idea of holiday hell. I said to her about trying WDW and she looked at me like I was mad, so many things at WDW are not really for kids or wouldn't be appreciated by kids, but, until they go they shouldn't judge

People used to give me that "You're going again?!" thing at work. Now they just expect it. They also expect me to go alone. No one even asks who I am going with anymore. lol

:rotfl2: I'm in the same boat!

My friends and co-workers used to ask me a lot of questions about going to DL alone but now it's just become a bit of a running joke since I go so often. If I haven't gone for a month they start asking if I'm having withdrawals and when I'm going again. They don't even bother asking who I'm going with, how long I'm going, or if I have plans to do anything else while I'm in LA. They just laugh and say have fun.

My brother and I are planning a trip in October, him bringing his fiancee and I am bringing a friend (my SO has a work conflict after we booked). The only time I'll see him and his fiancee will be at our dinner reservations. We never did Disney as kids, so why not go as adults now that we can?

None of us have kids. I know a lot of people who do Disney without children, it's never been an issue when talking about the trip. But, people don't get why I would go with my brother "Oh, I would never go with my siblings, it's weird. Why would you do that?"

We have more siblings, who haven't been to Disney yet, and I hope we can get the others to come to WDW in the next year or two.

I don't have kids yet but went plenty of times when I was young. But I think I am almost 100% positive when I say I enjoy Disney more as an adult than I did when I was younger! It's not just about what entertains me now but the experience and service I get at Disney. Doesn't compare to other places.

We have been planning a trip for our whole family. But recently my husband and I have been thinking how since none of us have ever been to Disneyworld maybe a trip just the two of us first. We have been married going on sixteen years and have never had a honeymoon. I have found myself day dreaming about going to Disneyworld just the two of us. Over the course of our marriage my husband has been deployed more then he has been home. But then I get that nagging "Am I being selfish thinking about take a trip first with him before we take our offspring???" They would have a fit if they knew we went first without them.

Glad I am not the only one who has this problem- I usually try to sell people on food and wine!

I love the idea of saying "You've never been have you?" because I fully believe the people who have never been don't get it. I have people that recent went with their 4 kids say they couldn't wait to go back without their kids.

My DH and I have taken our children and grandchildren to WDW numerous times over the years. Not too long ago we went on our first adults only trip. I have to tell you, it was WONDERFUL! I love my family, but I am not sure if I ever want to take them back to WDW. Planning on taking DGSs to Williamsburg next year but WDW is a DH and me only trip. We love going at our own pace, watching all the shows & parades that the kids think are boring, eating and drinking what we want. And the best part yet, no whining!

It's surprising how many people think that Disney is only for children. I took a guest to Disneyland a few weeks ago. On the way there, she admitted she wasn't that interested. She felt self-conscious that we were two out-of-place adults, going to a park where children were playing.

When I told her that grownups are a huge market for these parks -- and that people even spend their honeymoons at Disney -- she told me that was weird.
As we walked toward the trams, she pointed out a couple, "wow I guess they don't have kids... that's surprising." And past the gates, she kept asking me, "how can there be so many groups of adults here?" She remarked a few more times while we were in the park, before she finally seemed to change her mind.

I guess she was really THAT surprised.

Well I've been with my kids..the most recent at Christmas and they are thirtyish now, but
this next solo trip is all about dropping the pace and taking in whats there.
Walt Disney World has been around so long its got a lot of nostalgia for me now.
I've read the making of and secrets books and I like the old stuff as well as the new.

We have been planning a trip for our whole family. But recently my husband and I have been thinking how since none of us have ever been to Disneyworld maybe a trip just the two of us first. We have been married going on sixteen years and have never had a honeymoon. I have found myself day dreaming about going to Disneyworld just the two of us. Over the course of our marriage my husband has been deployed more then he has been home. But then I get that nagging "Am I being selfish thinking about take a trip first with him before we take our offspring???" They would have a fit if they knew we went first without them.

If it means a lot for your family to all experience WDW at the same time for your first trip, maybe not a bad idea to wait. On the other hand, it's always a treat for me to bring someone who has not experienced it before and watch their joy, so you might like that, too. (You can use the excuse that you were just scouting to be sure you made the most of your family trip!) Whether before or after your family trip, go and enjoy with just the two of you! More relaxing and laid back. No kids needed to enjoy Disney, for sure!

I rarely get judgmental comments but when I do, i usually go by: "If you ask that question/say that, you --obviously-- have never been to WDW." Then I talk about the gorgeous resorts, great restaurants, nice activities that adults can do in WDW.

They usually shut up. :)

Our kids are 25 and 21 and we took them to WDW every 2 years when they were little. 3 years ago DH and I went without them and had a blast. Our kids didnt speak to us when we got back. This past January we took them for their big birthdays. What fun to share with them adult Disney. We don't care if our friends dont understand. We are just glad that we raised our children right

DH and I are retired, no kids and go twice a year, add 2 cruises a year and people think we are nuts for going so much. My first visit was in 1973 and I introduced my future husband to WDW in 1976. After 100+ visits including FL, CA and Paris and 15 DCL cruises I thought I was immune to the comments but I had one last month that floored me a little.
DH's sister and family was visiting from CO, thier son just had his first daughter and we wanted to visit. Nephew, wife and new baby are frequent cruisers and WDW visitors. I bought my newest picture album and photobook to show the family. Some looked at it, some did not. My nephew says
"How many pictures of you and Mickey are you going to take and save?"
I just smiled and didn't answer right away.. Coming from a Disney nut like us, I didn't think he meant any harm. "I'll take as many as I want".

Luckily my boss and coworkers are just as big Disney fans as I am. My boss and his partner go every year for Gay Days and my coworker had AP's when she lived in California. I'm actually wearing my Mickey polo proudly today.

My husband and I got back from our Disneymoon in April and we are completely hooked and counting down until we can possibly go again. I love Disney World with adults only, it is a completely different experience then when we went with family and children.

How old are your children? There is childcare at some Disney resorts and in room child care available. You could go as a family and plan some mom and dad time. If they are old enough to stay alone then you could surprise them with pizza and a movie while you and DH go to a nice dinner and fireworks?
OR
Maybe take a mom and dad trip and book a bounce back while you are there for a family trip. It might ease the blow if they get to start a countdown as soon as you come back.

Well I've been with my kids..the most recent at Christmas and they are thirtyish now, but
this next solo trip is all about dropping the pace and taking in whats there.
Walt Disney World has been around so long its got a lot of nostalgia for me now.
I've read the making of and secrets books and I like the old stuff as well as the new.

I'm 30 and still love going with my DM. She is the reason I have the Disney bug. The nice thing now is when we go it's an adult trip. She always tells me how it is so much more exciting now that I am older since we can do anything we want :p

Luckily my boss and coworkers are just as big Disney fans as I am. My boss and his partner go every year for Gay Days and my coworker had AP's when she lived in California. I'm actually wearing my Mickey polo proudly today.

Is it terrible that I secretly hope that future employees will be Disney lovers? If only I could make that a requirement to work here. :scratchin

I have to share another funny run in I had last week. I was at a meeting with around 60 people but managed to spot a refillable Disney mug across the room. At a break a bee lined over to the woman and told her I saw her mug. She looked at me like I was nuts :worried:. I clarified "Your Disney mug, I have tons of those in my cabinet". Then she understood and told me she went last year but that was going to be their last trip because her kids are now teenagers. I was so confused why her kids being teenagers meant she couldn't Disney anymore :confused3. She further explained that they finally out grew Disney :scared: so they won't be going anymore. By this time a DVC owner overheard the Disney chatter and joined in the conversation. The woman asked us if our kids had reached that age yet. I told her I am 30 years old and I won't ever reach that age. :thumbsup2 DVC owner seemed to concur with me and said he and his wife love Disney and take their kids several times a year. I really wanted to revoke her mug after that conversation.

No one says anything when we go for the F&W but for the other trips I always say we're going to FL and where they ask when in FL I just smile because they know where I am going. :)

I'm 25 with no children so I don't get the comments regarding not taking kids, but I've gotten some "you're too old for this" ones from older adults. When I respond that this will be my first visit, I typically get asked "why don't you go when you have children?". Not only are kids the last thing on my mind, but going for the first time while having to focus mainly on my kids' wants sounds terrible!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter