You win some you booze some, a HOT August 2017 dining report! complete 1/25*

CAPE MAY CON'T

Sorry this isn't green, now for some reason my bold, colors, underline etc. won't work :headache: As you can see I took pictures of a good part of the buffet but not all because it was really crowded! After getting our drinks - water for Ricky, soda for Chris, some type of beer for Steve and weirdly out of character for me, unsweetened iced tea (felt better but still not myself), we made our way up to fill our first plates:

Me: cornbread, caesar salad, chicken marsala, a pesto pasta, and a piece of focaccia bread

IMG_6648.JPG

The caesar salad was delicious. I'd had it the first time we ate here and it was just as good. I also enjoyed the pesto pasta and both breads; the chicken marsala, which you can see has small pieces of chicken in it, was just ok. Steve makes an awesome chicken marsala and it's hard for me to find another I like, but this wasn't bad otherwise.

Steve's first plate: the pesto pasta, chicken marsala with all the chicken eaten, carrots and beans and a piece of the baked salmon.

IMG_6649.JPG

Steve said the salmon was out of this world. I wish I'd taken a picture of the sign describing it because I cannot remember at all what's on top. He also liked the veggies as both were seasoned and cooked well. He liked the chicken in the marsala but preferred the pesto pasta.

Ricky: caesar salad, mac and cheese and a drumstick:

IMG_6651.JPG

He loved it all which surprised me because I don't think he's ever eaten a drumstick lol. He thought the mac and cheese was heavenly :cloud9:
And we have Chris:

IMG_6652.JPG

I assume this is self-explanatory? He thought this pizza beat the BW window pizza lmao! The first time we were here he ate about 20 ribs and I thought he'd do the same this time, but when he ordered ribs at lunch I forgot we were eating here tonight or I would have suggested he have something else. He wasn't in the mood for ribs again.

Steve's 2nd plate: antipasto salad and shrimp:

IMG_6653.JPG

And I just realized he had another Moscow Mule here instead of beer! As an aside, he's tried ordering Mule's pretty much every time we've been out since this trip, and the majority of restaurants don't make them because they don't carry the ginger beer. He's taken to just making them at home or rather, having my best friend Valerie make them here for him...........

Oops, I'm all over the place here! Along with Ricky's first plate he got a bucket of mussels. Some of you know he loooooves him some mussels but he wasn't blown away by these as he thought they were on the chewy side. Steve enjoyed them though:

IMG_6654.JPG

My sad second plate #notwellinDisney:
mashed potatoes, antipasto salad, beef tenderloin:

IMG_6659.JPG

All was good! That's horseradish sauce next to the meat which I love. This particular piece was a bit on the rare side for me but I could still eat it and it was almost like butter. Not like butter, but almost. Mashed potatoes were nice and creamy and I always enjoy an antipasto salad.

Chris decided to try the crab legs:

IMG_6660.JPG

IMG_6661.JPG

He liked them but getting the meat out was way too much work for him and he stated that you are NOT supposed to have to work for your food. I'm not sure how he expects to eat once we kick him out of the house, but that's not going to be my concern at that point, thank God. He apparently had some mac and cheese himself and for whatever reason I have no picture of that plate.

Steve's final plate which is basically a repeat of previously tried foods, but it looks nice so I'm posting it:

IMG_6670.JPG

I'm going to stop here and put dessert and the end of our night in another post because it's a little late and I'm tired, and with the pictures I have left this will go to 4 different posts lol! Overall we enjoyed the dinner buffet. Some foods were good and some were real good; the only thing that anyone felt wasn't good were the mussels and that was Ricky. We'd come here again but probably not for our next couple trips, however if you are a seafood lover I think it's a great non-signature option.

Next up, Cape May dessert and more dessert!

HI Ariane, just catching up and wanted to say how sorry I am to hear about Ricky. I'm glad to hear his coach reached out to him and that he is feeling a bit better. Thinking of you and hoping he has a speedy recovery. :hug:

It sucks that Ricky got hurt! What a horrible accident! I'm soooooo sorry. What an awesome coach though!

I'm also sorry the heat was so brutal!!!! Not feeling good at Disney is the worst!

I’m sorry to hear about your son’s injury. Poor kid. I’m glad his basketball coach called him & cheered him up some.

Cape May looks good. We’re trying it in November for the first time. My son is dying to try the crab legs.

Hi there!

I missed your update from last week on Ricky. Poor guy (and poor you), but glad to hear he is on the mend. I can only fathom how upset he must be to miss football and basketball season. Hang in there.

Glad to see you all enjoyed Cape May!

Sorry to hear about Ricky's injury. Hope all goes well with his recovery.
:thanks:

We haven't been to Cape May yet but looking at the shrimp , ribs and crab legs will have to see if I can grab an ADR next visit.
I think it's a great place if you like seafood! Of course it's no signature but other than Ricky not thinking the mussels were all that fantastic, he and Steve thought pretty highly of the buffet seafood options.

It sucks that Ricky got hurt! What a horrible accident! I'm soooooo sorry. What an awesome coach though!
It does suck, big time :( And yes the coach has been fantastic! He's been walking Ricky to some classes too lol and like I mentioned, guaranteed Ricky a spot on Varsity next year. Knowing he's not done with basketball because he has to miss this season is what's keeping Ricky going.

I'm also sorry the heat was so brutal!!!! Not feeling good at Disney is the worst!
It's weird because it's my 4th August down there in a row, and I never felt this way before! Guess it was a combo of whatever I ate/drank, and the right/wrong temperature. Luckily it didn't last long :)

I’m sorry to hear about your son’s injury. Poor kid. I’m glad his basketball coach called him & cheered him up some.
The coach has already done more than I ever thought he would to boost Ricky's confidence as far as letting him know he has a spot next year, as well as making him feel better about the surgery. I feel very lucky!

Cape May looks good. We’re trying it in November for the first time. My son is dying to try the crab legs.
Great! Steve said the crab legs were delicious and even though they proved too much work for Chris, he enjoyed them. Hope you guys do, too!

Hi there!

I missed your update from last week on Ricky. Poor guy (and poor you), but glad to hear he is on the mend. I can only fathom how upset he must be to miss football and basketball season. Hang in there.

Glad to see you all enjoyed Cape May!
:wave2: :hug: Thank you. He's doing much better emotionally and I finally am too lol.

We did enjoy Cape May! It won't be an every year go-to place but we'll return sometime I'm sure. I'd actually like to try their breakfast sometime, too.

Hey all, I apologize for the lack of updates. Over the weekend Ricky got hurt real bad in his football game. Wednesday we found out he tore his ACL, will need surgery and will miss this whole basketball season. It's been devastating for Ricky and heartbreaking for me; I actually think I'm taking it harder! Anyway I just haven't been in a very "Disney" mood, but I promise to update asap :) As always thank you for sticking around!

Oh, Ariane, I'm so sorry!! This makes me sad for him, but how awesome that his coaches are being supportive. He's had some rough times injury wise the past couple of years, poor guy (and poor YOU, I know it's hard to see your baby hurting!!). Wishing him the best and a super speedy recovery.

I couldn't believe the line wasn't long! Only two people in front of me.

It's a Mexico margarita miracle!!

You can get it with sweet milk on top but neither boy wanted to try that.

The sweetened condensed milk on top really makes the treat...I hope they try it next time! It just makes it a little creamy, kind of like homemade ice cream in a way.

He thought this pizza beat the BW window pizza lmao!

:rotfl2:

img_6661-jpg.271852

He's so cute!

you are NOT supposed to have to work for your food.

I agree with him on this, at least as far as crab legs go. I don't have a lot of patience for food I have to crack or dismember, lol

Once again, I should not read this while hungry!!

Going to finish up Cape May and our second full day of eating now, but I'm pretty sure it'll be a double post again :surfweb:

When we were here in Nov., Chris declared himself too full for dessert but I couldn't pass up a few items on the buffet. This time we all left room.
Some dessert buffet pics:

IMG_6662.JPG

IMG_6664.JPG

IMG_6666.JPG

IMG_6667.JPG

See those last two? That table had the cookies and then a few things you could pour the caramel and chocolate sauce over, such as the cubes of chocolate and vanilla cake and the stars of the show, peanut butter blondie bars :cloud9: They did not have these last Nov. If they had, I would have had us eating here every night of this trip. Here is my first plate:

IMG_6668.JPG

The non PB blondie is a piece of Key Lime cake, something I wanted to try since my first ever experience with Key Lime anything was this past May at Citricos. Citricos Key Lime dessert out of this world; Cape May Key Lime dessert, ok. The PB blondies with caramel sauce though? OMG. Soft and chewy and oh so delicious! I don't have a picture of my next plate but it looked similar to this, just replace the cake with................a third blondie.
I do not quite understand why I have no more dessert plate pictures but we all had and loved the blondies. Chris tried the Oreo Cheesecake bar but wasn't a fan while I had enjoyed it on our first visit. Steve had a chocolate mini cupcake with raspberry frosting and liked it as did I back in Nov. The other dessert I tried this time was the Sachertorte or chocolate cake thingy, because we'd had another version of this last Nov. at one of the Epcot Holidays Around the World booths. That one was delicious but this one tasted nothing like it. It was good but not special enough to take room away from the blondies.

After dessert came what I believe to be Chris's favorite part of this meal. I also think as he gets older, he will either seek out restaurants that offer this or possibly even open a restaurant himself, simply to be able to give others the experience that is....

The After Dinner Hot Towel

IMG_6671.JPG IMG_6676.JPG IMG_6681.JPG
IMG_6678.JPG IMG_6679.JPG

FINISHED IN NEXT POST

Can I please finish this day up?????
With our bellies full we walked the BW a bit, watching the entertainment we missed on our other night there. Eventually we were ready to go spend our first night in our Club Level room. Since we were stayin' fancy we decided to ride fancy:

IMG_6705.JPG

The driver (all Minnie van drivers are CM's) was awesome! She was originally from Long Island so I sat up front and the two of us spent the entire ride lamenting the absence of certain foods and establishments in Florida that New Yorkers really can't live without - decent pizza, bagels, deli's. Once back at the resort we went to our room and used our lone key card to get in since our MB's STILL weren't working. Frustrating to say the least. What made up for it in the very smallest of ways was when I saw this:

IMG_6709.JPG

WHOO! Turn down service complete with more chocolates (hidden under the card)! Chocolates reminded Steve and I of the lounge and food and since it wasn't quite closing time we went to look at what was out. Here's what I found:

IMG_6706.JPG

Cobbler :love: Kari @kastoney had warned me about this, but I'm not a good listener so I went ahead and tried some despite still being full of PB blondies. It was delicious! Steve grabbed a snack and we sat at a table overlooking the lobby:

IMG_6707.JPG

FYI, in the evenings there is a CM manning the taps and cooler, handing out and opening beer/wine. They aren't stingy at all but I wanted to mention it.

Am I done yet?? FOUR posts for our dinner and afterwards! And this is only day 2 of the trip lol. Lots more to come!

I'm getting caught up, the nachos with queso at WCC look so good and I have heard other good reviews like yours!

Cape May looks like many good choices, we have been twice 3-4 years ago before Andi decided she doesn't really like seafood or red meat ugh!

I am sorry to hear about your son's injury, I am glad he is handling it okay. It is so tough when a sports injury occurs! Good thoughts to him and you as he goes through the healing process in the upcoming months!

Oh, Ariane, I'm so sorry!! This makes me sad for him, but how awesome that his coaches are being supportive. He's had some rough times injury wise the past couple of years, poor guy (and poor YOU, I know it's hard to see your baby hurting!!). Wishing him the best and a super speedy recovery.
Thank you Samantha :hug: He has had it rough injury-wise and it takes its toll on him emotionally. Sports, specifically basketball, plays such a huge part in his life. It almost IS his life. His days, weekends, friends, etc. revolve around it, so this is a huge blow, but the coach and his friends too really seem to be realizing how hard it's going to be and are keeping him in good spirits. He's got a tough road ahead and I get upset when I think about it, but we'll get through it!

It's a Mexico margarita miracle!!
Olay :dancer:

The sweetened condensed milk on top really makes the treat...I hope they try it next time! It just makes it a little creamy, kind of like homemade ice cream in a way.
I tried getting them to try it on another day later in the trip when they got the kakigori again, but no go. If it had alcohol in it I'd try it lol!

What can I say? You've raised a young man who expects a little luxury in his dining indulgences. I totally support his enthusiasm! But lord help your future daughter in law...

Cobbler :love: Kari @kastoney had warned me about this, but I'm not a good listener so I went ahead and tried some despite still being full of PB blondies. It was delicious!
Yuuuuum! I would just sit in the lounge all day, I think, if I had access to endless treats. Maybe rethinking that CL wish... Love the beer options there! WL and AKL clubs look so nice! One day. Maybe when I have better dining self control...

he stated that you are NOT supposed to have to work for your food. I'm not sure how he expects to eat once we kick him out of the house, but that's not going to be my concern at that point,

:rotfl:

That table had the cookies and then a few things you could pour the caramel and chocolate sauce over,

a few things you mean everything...:laughing:

After dessert came what I believe to be Chris's favorite part of this meal. I also think as he gets older, he will either seek out restaurants that offer this or possibly even open a restaurant himself, simply to be able to give others the experience that is....

He does seem to love his hot towels :rotfl: The first time we got them I had no idea what to even do with mine, I just patted it gently then handed it back :lmao:

I’m so sorry Ricky got hurt playing football. That sounds really painful and I hope he has a speedy recovery.

I’m apparently two pages behind on your updates I’m slacking. The travel time at Wilderness Lodge has been a concern of mine. I’ve wanted to stay there, but it seems like getting anywhere besides Magic Kingdom would take a while. Probably why I picked it for my one night stay where we are only going to Magic Kingdom J

The shaved ices look great for a hot day (which seems to be every day I go to Disney) I would never have thought of trying a melon flavor but it looks good.

The food at Cape May looks good. I originally had us going for this upcoming trip, but changed everything around so I’m not anymore. But I think it’ll definitely be in our future. I was a little concerned about it being a seafood buffet, since my boyfriend isn’t big on it. But there seems to be a lot of other items to choose from I think he’d be happy here.

Love the after dinner hot towel pictures, they are hilarious.

That cobbler looks delicious!

He thought this pizza beat the BW window pizza lmao!
That would really say a lot if it was worse than BW pizza window

He liked them but getting the meat out was way too much work for him and he stated that you are NOT supposed to have to work for your food. I'm not sure how he expects to eat once we kick him out of the house, but that's not going to be my concern at that point, thank God. He apparently had some mac and cheese himself and for whatever reason I have no picture of that plate.
I'm with ya Chris! I should not have to expend more calories than I'm about to consume.

Do they only have characters at breakfast? It must have been a real struggle to make room for some of that cobbler after dinner haha

His basketball coach reached out to him Wed. night and has been absolutely fantastic, letting him know he's behind him and will be supporting him through his recovery. This has made all the difference in Ricky's frame of mind and has made him feel more confident that missing this season won't result in the end of his high school basketball career, which was his main concern.

That's wonderful news! I'm sure it made a huge difference to him to have his coach backing him up and encouraging him.

After about an hour's travel time we made it from WL to Epcot thanks to Steve's idea of WL boat - monorial #1 - monorail #2 instead of simply WL bus - Epcot, but we're not laying blame anywhere........

Bahaha!! Poor Steve. He tries.

By the time we approached the IG it had started to rain lightly and I wasn't feeling good so we jumped on a Friendship boat to the BC. For some reason the heat was seriously affecting me today, more than it had the previous 2 days or on our other August trips. The boat ride was perfect though, we had a breeze since it was rainy and I got to rest.

Oh no! Sorry to hear the heat was getting to you so much! I have the same problem a lot of the time in the heat. We had to be strategic.

Seafood Paella and Carrots:
img_6634-jpg.271660

We're seafood fans, and I totally was into the paella here! Very good :)

And we have Chris:

img_6652-jpg.271843

I assume this is self-explanatory? He thought this pizza beat the BW window pizza lmao! The first time we were here he ate about 20 ribs and I thought he'd do the same this time, but when he ordered ribs at lunch I forgot we were eating here tonight or I would have suggested he have something else. He wasn't in the mood for ribs again.

Haha this kid! At least he had lots of things to pick from to find things he wanted.

He liked them but getting the meat out was way too much work for him and he stated that you are NOT supposed to have to work for your food. I'm not sure how he expects to eat once we kick him out of the house, but that's not going to be my concern at that point, thank God.

:rotfl2:

img_6671-jpg.271970
img_6676-jpg.271971
img_6681-jpg.271974

img_6678-jpg.271972
img_6679-jpg.271973

Oh my gawd!
:rotfl:

img_6706-jpg.271982

Cobbler :love: Kari @kastoney had warned me about this, but I'm not a good listener so I went ahead and tried some despite still being full of PB blondies. It was delicious!

YUUMM!!

Prayers for a speedy recovery for Ricky! It is hard, but he can overcome the injury. I have a son who is a junior this year. He lost his freshman year (the entire football season) to a muscle injury, his sophomore year he got a concussion 3 weeks in and missed 3 or 4 weeks. His junior year is going great so far, only a fractured finger (lol) and he can play with that. It is so super stressful! Football is not for the faint of heart!

Hope the surgery and recovery go well!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter