You'll never guess what we did today

Michigan

Mom of the Rolling Crew
Oldest DD Megan (11) went downhill skiing! She got 3 hours of ski lessons, lift ticket and use of the monoski for $10.00 from Michigan Adaptive Sports. She had a blast!

[This message was edited by Michigan on 02-03-01 at 09:34 PM.]

Wow. One of the girls in Katrina's dance class goes skiing, but she's never been. I think it sounds like fun, but K doesn't want anything to do with it.B

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

Oh Man thats WONDERFUL!!! I bet she had a BLAST!!! :) Id like to hear more :)

Wheelsie Co-Moderator of disABILITIES
and
DisneyTips
wheelsie@mail.wdwinfo.com

cokewheelin.gif
dischat.gif

:cool: How cool is That!!!!

galc.gif
WLlogo.gif

"My brain takes a vacation just to give my heart more room..."
teri@iluvdisney.com

OK Wheelsie this is how they do it first they either have you transfer or they lift you into the monoski. It's 2 ski's close together with a seat that has a place for you legs to go in front of you. Your feet are strapped in then your legs next your waist so there is no way you will fall out when you tip over which you will do. Then they give you outriggers they are very short modified lofstrand crutches that strap around your arm with tiny ski's attached to them.

Once she was strapped in 3 buddies took her out by the chair lift where they pull a pin out of the ski so the whole monoski with her in it slides on the lift when they get to the top of the hill (they we right to the difficult one) they put the pin in and hook 2 20 foot straps on the back of her monoski and the buddy in the back holds on to them while the buddy in front told her what to do and the buddy on the side is there in case the other 2 need help. The first time she was pretty close to the buddy in the back he didn't let her go but a few feet in front of him but by the time she was done 3 hours later the straps were all the way out and she was the one making the turns and they just followed. The volunteers that helped her said by the time she finished you would have throught she had been skiing before.

Wheelsie if you have ski slopes by you find your adaptive sports association for your area and try it. There was a man I would say in his early 30's that was a quad having the time of his life.

They also had 2 little girls with CP that were able to stand without any assistance so the buddies attached the ropes to their waists and down they went. They also had walkers attached to skis that someone in the group ahead of us had used.

Wow, your dd must be quite an athlete (and pretty proud of herself) to have caught on so quick. Neat

SueM in MN
Co-Moderator of disABILITIES

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter