Young Child with a Walker?

Gabe's Mom

Mouseketeer
My young daughter has just started using a gait trainer, basically a walker. She is 2 1/2, will be 3 by our trip. She can not stand or walk on her own.
I'm thinking we will probably bring it but also do stroller as wheelchair tag, just not sure how to handle if we bring it in the parks but not into line. Can we leave it with our stroller?
Our daughter is tiny so no problem to carry her in lines and in the parks, considering bringing it but not bringing it into the parks?
Any one have experience with this?

I do not have direct experience with this situation, but from watching other kids at my daughter's school and therapy sessions -- my gut reaction is to say leave the walker in the resort room and stick with the stroller-as-wheelchair in the parks, for her safety. The parks are busy and crowded. While most people are polite, there are always those who are self-absorbed and inattentive to who/what is around them. I would hate for someone to walk right into your daughter if she's trying to get around with her walker. Let her use the walker at your resort to get around and have some exercise there where it's a quieter environment.

If you do choose to bring the walker into the parks, I recommend you bring it through the queues with you. Pick her up and set the walker to the side when you board. I think the equipment is less likely to be "messed with" there than if you were to leave it outside unattended for 30+ minutes.

Enjoy your vacation!

I will answer more later, but I would bring it, but not bring it to the park.

So relieved to see you think it's ok to leave it at the resort! We are new to this world of mobility limitations, our daughter has only been with us for 4 months (adopted from China). I want to make sure I am doing the right thing for her so I didn't want to just not bring her walker for my convenience. I totally agree though, she could easily get run over. She is completely adorable with her little walker and is so proud of her new found independence, but she is about the size of an average one year old, it would be easy not to see her.
Thanks,
Michelle

This is coming from an adult that uses a walker. Leave it at the resort and let her use it there. I usually use a wheelchair when I am out in a crowd because I have found that people just don't see you when you are using a walker. I am an adult and have had people fall over me, walk into me and try to cut me off. I can't imagine a child dealing with this. Good luck and have a great trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter