Young child with diabetes questions

j-me

Mouseketeer
I have a friend who's wanted to go to WDW but due to the long wait in lines they haven't because their young 4 yr old has diabetes and couldn't handle the wait in the heat.

Anyone have some info for me. Can they get the special assistance card?
Do they need to have a doctor's letter?
Thanks for all the GREAT help on this board..

Jamie

My family went when we were little. My brother was young and had diabetes too. I do remember that the heat was a big problem and we had to rush to get him some sugar b/c he almost passed out from it all.

HOWEVER...I think that if you plan the day correctly it can be done. Don't rush. Plan reservations and meals to relax in the a/c. Always carry sugar candies on you. Take misting fans. Just make sure that you are taking appropriate breaks, be aware of the Nurses stations too. I hope it all works out for you all!

Two things that will help this family out the most is to get to the park at rope drop, and use Fastpass when ever possible. I also noticed that most queues are not in the hot sun anymore, but are under cover with fans and even some outdoor AC!

With a preschooler, they could also plan their trip for a cooler time of year - November is really nice!

It states on the GAC that it is not meant to shorten the wait - there are accomodations, but they may actually cause a longer wait.

There is good info about type 1 diabetes and the GAC in the FAQ for this board - give that a look. Most of the info I have is in those threads it references.

The best thing to do is a good touring plan like Tour Guide Mike - we've had excellent results. IMHO if they are going in the summer they should also get a GAC. I know from personal experience that with such a young child it can be a challenging experience.

Hello you can get a card that will help you get on the rides quicker or get you out of the son.. we have used the card several times.. It can be a life saver..

Hello you can get a card that will help you get on the rides quicker or get you out of the son.. we have used the card several times.. It can be a life saver..

The card is the GAC and is used to tell CMs that a person has special needs like a quiet place to wait or has limitations such as no stairs or vision limitations.

The GAC does not get you to the head of the line and often takes longer for lines. Thank God for the equal access lines where us disabled people have to wait in line just like everyone else. The GAC too often takes longer than single rider and fastpass lines.

If you want information about GACs (Guest Assistance Cards), check out post #6 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread.
As was already mentioned, the GAC is not a pass and is not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line.

Another thing to remember is that a GAC will only assist with accommodations for attractions. Much more of your time may actually be spent just walking around, gettting from place to place and waiting for things that a GAC doesn't help with (like parades or outdoor character meeting).

I agree cooler time of year could work really well yet not dead of winter (jan) an feb) Early to mid May could be good not to terribly hot yet spring break is over an the snow birds have went home.

Most 4 yr olds still needs a stroller between rides an attractions which could save on sugar levels, yet most all the parks has a place for young ones to run off excess energy which could be used if sugar to high too.

I think maybe the parents are using the diabetis as an excuse not to go to disney. If not the poor kid is going to have a heck of a time doing things that other kids do when she gets in school dancing lessons, marching band and sports all comes to mind. Not to mention the peer pressure from other kids for the kid to eat things she shouldn't.

To add to what others have said, a stroller is a must. You can rent a park stroller which has a cover to keep the sun off of the child or bring an umbreall stroller. I would recommend the park ones because I think the lack of fabric and the more open design will increase airflow and make it cooler than your typical private stroller. This is only conjecture.

You can get a stroller as a wheelchair GAC. This will allow her to go through the line in the stroller. If she goes low she can just stay in the stroller and they can treat right there. It will giver her space in line, and keep her from getting overheated. Mister fans would be a good help, and you can get a free cup of water pretty much anywhere (although bottled will cost you). Another thing that can help her keep cool is one of those neck wraps that you soak in cold water. They have beads in them that cool down when immersed in cold water and stay cool for a long time. She can put it around her neck to help keep her cool.

Of course I forgot the most important thing - it is in the FAQ but please direct the parents to Disney with Type 1: http://allears.net/pl/diabetes.htm It was written by some parents who frequent the DISboards and WDW. Their advice is excellent and very sound.

I think it bears reminding that a GAC is issued for a person's *individual* needs and not a diagnosis. People with the same diagnosis can have very different needs and needs can change over time.

Let the parents know about the Children with Diabetes boards: http://www.childrenwithdiabetes.com - there are excellent forums there and also they can ask other parents of type 1 kids directly about their best WDW strategies. CWD also hosts a family conference for families with a type 1 child - this year's conference is being held at Coronado Springs at WDW in July. They should make the trip - childcare is available and siblings are welcome. See that website for more info.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter