Young children with autism on cruise. Need advice.

kristinnelson

Earning My Ears
My extended family is looking to take a cruise next summer on the Disney cruise line (what else!)

The problem is that we have 3 year old twins with autism. They will be 4.5 by the time of the cruise. One has severe autism the other mild. Does anyone have any experience with this situation?

Hopefully one of them will be potty trained by then, but not necessarily.

These are some of the questions that come to mind:

1. Can they join the clubs if I offer to change their diapers when needed?

2. They both attend pre-school so are used to a group environment, but may take some getting used to it. Can I stay with them for a while to get the acclimated?

3. One of my boys does a lot of therapy at home and having access to a swing on board would make a huge difference. Are there swings on board?

4. One of my boys is on a casein-free diet (casein is milk protein, it is commonly used as a food additive and is in all dairy products.) I can choose food off the regular menu for him, but can I arrange to get soy milk for him to drink, or to get a fridge in my room to bring soy milk for him.

4. What other questions should I be asking that I don't even know about?

Anyone who has taken a 4 year old with development delays on a Disney cruise would be a great resource. Thanks!

Kristin

I don't have children of my own, but I know you can contact the Disney Cruise Line and they will try to make accomodations for all children to attend the Clubs and participate in activities. Sometimes they will require a parent or caregiver to remain in attendance, especially with children who are not toilet trained or require one on one assistance.

Hi...

Kelly here...lover of all things disney :) and a student getting her masters in Occupational Therapy. First of all WOW for having twins who are dealing with autism... you and your family are in my thoughts and prayers

Second my suggestion about having them on the cruise The people who work on teh ship are specifically trained to deal with any specific disability so I would suguest the following...find somebody... a trusted friend or somebody they know to be their cruise buddy :) ...that way you can have somebody you trust with them at all times. That would also help if there are diapers to change, tantrums to deal with where they would have to leave the group setting (club), and it would also be instant babysitters when you and the significant other want to go out for the evening. :) lots to do on the ship:) I know that could lead to further costs but maybe you could find somebody who would be willing to split the cost of going with you :D

Hope this helped...if you have any other questions feel free to let me know...eaglesnestorl@aol.com or dizneluver9@aol.com

We took our autistic son when he was about the same age. We were on a 4 day, to get a feel of how it would be. I was not thrilled with the Oceaneers club. I expalined my sons condition plus he was not potty trained at that time. They told me I had to stay with him, which was good because the ratio of kids to counslers were more than what he is used to. so I stayed for some of the activities. We would really go more during free time, than during actitivites because they were crowded. Anither problem we ran into was, we could not leave hom alone at the Club and Flounders would not take him because of his age so no Palo. No swings buit they had slide in the club. The rocking of the ship I am convinced slowed him down a little, he slept good too. We kept him busy but as you know no rest for the weary. Go and have a great time beleive they will love it.:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I can't tell you much about the kids' activities, but I can tell you about the food. When we went on the cruise two years ago, my (then 4-year-old) son with autism was on a gluten-free, casein-free diet. They were WONDERFUL about it. I faxed a letter about a month ahead of time (call & find out where; I think it was the medical people for the cruise) and they were great. They made special GFCF pancakes or toast every morning, and they worked with us on the menu at every meal. Having the same servers at every meal really helps. Also, the headwaiter was terrific, and checked on us a lot. I was very impressed, and it made it a lot easier. I don't remember if we had a fridge in our cabin, but we might have. Ask about that, too.

Good luck.
Meghan

The "refrigerator" is, in fact, a cooler. It thus will keep things cool but not like a real refrigerator would. You can pull out the wire organizers inside (mostly for stacking cans) so you can fit more stuff in there. For soymilk, I suggest bringing a stash of the small containers so you don't have to worry about storing an open partially used container in a cool, not cold, place. I have food allergies and found that the servers were very helpful. I provided DCL with information regarding my needs pre-cruise and they were very accommodating. For buffets, they offered to go up with me and tell me what was OK (didn't do as I stuck with fruit & salads but could be helpful with a potentially non-obvious ingredient).

Have a great trip!
:wave: Cupcake

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter