Youngest yet Appropriate Age

JodyLynC

DIS Veteran
My DH and I want to plan a trip to DW in the future for our little girls. We were thinking that age 4 to 5 would be a good age for a first time trip. What do other parents suggest?

Thanks!!

Jody

we are taking our son for his first trip in may

he will be 4

so Im hoping 4 is the right age to start ::yes::

I think it depends on how many times you plan on visiting WDW. If you're talking about a once in a lifetime trip, then I would probably wait until the 5-7 age range. If you know that you are going to be making more than one trip to WDW, then I wouldn't worry so much about age.

We took ds on his first trip when he was 2 1/2. There were several attractions that he couldn't do; but that wasn't a big deal to us. We had sort of planned on daily naps; but he would just catch a cat nap in the stroller and that seemed to be enough for him. I can honestly say that that first trip was probably the best we've been on (and he's now 4 and has been back 3 more times!;) )

Anyway, we weren't worried about how much he would remember that first trip because we knew we would be back often!:p If we had only been planning on taking him to WDW once, then we would have probably waited until he was closer to 5.

Whatever you decide, you'll have a great time!:earsgirl:

We are taking our little guy for his first birthday in May and we can't wait. However, we have been MANY times before and will go back, so we don't fee like we have to do it all. We are going to take our time on concentrate on things that will make him smile! :sunny: I actually think this will probably be one of the easiest trips we will ever make with him! He will be young enough to just be content in his stroller watching all the action and won't be old enough to beg for souvineres!

We have taken our children as young as 4 mos. On our next trip in October, our newest arrival will be 3 mos. But we go every year...

One thing to consider when waiting until your child is 4 or 5. My daughter figured out at 4-yrs-old that the characters are people in costumes. I'm so glad she experienced Disney at 6 mos, 18 mos, 2-yrs, etc. while that part of it was still magical for her.

Preschoolers and toddlers love WDW! :)

Jody,

We took our girls on their first trip to Disney when they were 4 and 5, and we had the best time! We did rent the strollers for them so they could enjoy a bit longer at the parks, and we did take a nap break during most days. Even though they didn't nap at home, with the June heat it was just better for us. They were so excited about the characters --- They didn't question whether they were "real".

They loved Fantasyland. One morning in MK we found that Small World was closed, and my DD5 looked up at me in disbelief with big blue eyes and said "But did you tell 'em it's my favorite?"

The Princess breakfast was magical...They were so excited about everything not just the princesses but also just the overall castle and the waiter treating them like royalty. The best of all was the fairy godmother in the lobby who took time to speak to the children and give them pixie dust. It was a great vacation.

We thought 4 and 5 worked out as great ages for a first trip. If it is a once in a lifetime trip though, you may want to wait a few years until they can experience some of the larger attractions too.

Have fun!
Dawna

We 1st went last Dec when son just turned 3 and daughter was 1 1/2. My son still talks about things from then, my daughter mentions stuff ever once in awhile. We're going back this year when daughter turns 3 and son will be 4 1/2.

I think it is well worth it to go as early as 3, just be aware there may be a few things that they can't go on.

My DD was 9mo on her first trip and DS was 8mo! We like to start them young!! We do go every year and if it was a once in a life time trip then I would say the 5-7yo range is good. My first trip was when I was 6yo and I still remember it! My Dsis took her boys to their once in a lifetime trip when they were 5 and 8yo. My DH had never been as a kid and he so wishes he had those memories that we are creating with our children.
Any and every age has it's advantages and disadvantages. I will tell you once you go, you'll be back!!;)

We will be taking our DS for his first trip in April. He will be 18 months. We are only going to Animal Kingdom because he loves animals and since this park is not open as long as the others it won't be too overwhelming for him. I am so excited though. I keep showing him Disney characters so he can get used to them. He already loves Mickey, Pooh, and Piglet.

Last Oct, DD1 was just past her 1st birthday, so we celebrated at WDW. It was a great trip, because she was already exposed to Mickey and friends at home (a lot, mommy is obsessed) WDW videos, Playhouse Disney, etc. It was not our first time at WDW, so we based our entire trip on her schedule and what might interest her. The best part of our vacation was watching how much fun she was having. She loved the characters, the character meals, the rides, and the shows. Nothing scared her (yet) but she was indifferent to some things, and slept through a bunch of rides the first time around. I know she may not remember much, but we do have lots of pictures and video. She watches the digital pictures of her trip to WDW on the computer in slideshow format at least once a week, and squeals with delight at several of the pictures. Every child is different, but ours takes after me in this respect. I think age one was the best time for her first trip because she could be comfortable in the stroller, take it slow, and stop and smell the roses. It was good for us, because we could introduce her to our favorite characters and rides. If would also have been easier on us had she not enjoyed the trip so much, because she was free for admission and all character meals, as well as MNSSHP. We didn't have to put anything on the line except our vacation time, which we thought was best spent with her, no matter where! So it was a win-win situation!

We are taking our DS who is 7 for his first trip to WDW in late April/early May. (He will be turning 8 in June). He is so excited and anxious about it! I think any age is a good age for Disney, there is just so much to do and see other than the thrill rides like the character meals, monorail rides, parades, firework shows and meeting Mickey!! Just the Disney atmosphere is great, it's just a happy place to be.

I have only been to Disney once, when I was 11 so this is almost like my first trip also since we only spent 3 days in the parks and I can't remember much of it. I'm sure it will be totally different and better experience with my son and husband. This is also my DH's first trip and he is 28!! I can't wait to see the looks on their faces when we get there. We are actively counting the days until we leave, I can't tell which one of us is most excited!

Have a great trip!

IMHO--ideal age if you are not living right nearby and can only go infrequently would be 4--before that the kid may spend the whole trip fascinated by the pigeons (DS-age 2) we have 4 kids--5-10-11-13 and try to go every 4 to 5 years--this has worked for us--the earlier trips (under 6) are not remembered -younger kids are just happy at any hotel with a pool and a bed to jump on! if you lived nearby I would disregard this and go whenever you want!! lucky!

I took my dd for her 1st birthday just for a short 4 day visit durning a low attendance period. I had already been multiple time so it was about her. Her first picture with MIckey still hangs on the living room wall. The key is to make it about them. Plan around them. Your chain is only as strong as it's weakest link if you have to go back and take a break everyday DO IT!! it will make you trip much more enjoyable. Erin turned 4 last Sept and we are now planning for her 4th trip. We try and do new and different stuff everytime and don't take a big "bite" of any park. Believe me she remembers trip 2 and 3 not everything but she does remember. Have magical time and don't be afraid to be a kid along with them.

I would agree with what some others have posted--is this a once in a lifetime trip? Or the first of many?

We took our kids for the first time this month, DD was 16 months and the boys were 9 and 10. I wish I had taken the boys when they were younger. They enjoyed everything, but it wasn't really "magical" to them. DD on the other hand loved just about everything! Will she remember it? No way. But I'm already planning to take her back next year (before her third birthday so she'll still be free...lol) I'm considering it just one in a long string of trips to come. If I were only planning to take her one more time I'd definitely wait until she was older. Maybe around 6.

IMHO--ideal age if you are not living right nearby and can only go infrequently would be 4--before that the kid may spend the whole trip fascinated by the pigeons
:laughing: I have to laugh because as much as DD enjoyed the characters--and she loved them all--DH and I were joking that her favorite part of the entire trip was the birds on Tom Sawyer Island! Really! No kidding! She laughed at, pointed at, and fed those birds for a solid 45 minutes! I'm sure it was the highlight of the trip for her...it was the cheapest part of the trip too. Well worth the 25 cents for each handful of bird food. I think we spent 1.25 for 45 minutes entertainment. What a deal! LOL

Best timing for 1st trip -- old enough to need no more than one nap, can verbalize what they like and don't like, and eats tables food... but not so big that they don't fit in a stroller!

That puts you somewhere around age 3, I guess!

Seriously, we have taken ours since 8 mos. With a baby, you just realize that it's YOU that is getting the real kick out of this, because they could be just as happy laying on the hotel bed kicking up their heels, so long as there is a face that responds to their actions! At age 1 and 2, you run a risk of the character-fears, quick melt-downs approaching nap-time, and of inexplicable struggles (those lovely power struggles of a 2 yr old where they know what they want but it just comes out as "WAHHHHH! No NO NO NO..."). thankfully mine never had much of this -- they were pretty good with the characters and WDW cruisin' from the get-go, but then, maybe I look like Goofy so they were used to it all, haha. Just tellin' ya what I've seen as a Mom in the Disney trenches.......

At ages 3-4, kids fit nicely in those WDW strollers -- which is a BIG plus, because you can get from point a to point b a heck of a lot faster this way, and their little legs get a rest, and also -- you have somewhere to stash your little cooler with a drink or lite snack for the nipper. My DS is literally crying this year because he knows that he and his brother will NOT FIT and must WALK -- oh the tragedies of a 7 yr old.

A 3 to 4 yr old recognizes the characters, has favorites, and can also verbalize who he/she does NOT want to see (my eldest at age 3 loved Pooh beyond all reason but had a complete freak-out phobia over Eeyore.. knowing this allowed us to clue Eeyore in on the deal in advance, so that he just stood wayyyyyy back at the breakfast and waved sadly from a safe distance!)

Our dd was 2 on our last trip -- and she had a great time, I know, but she recalls very little about the trip, other than what she sees in pictures and says, Hey, there's ME! She tired quickly on that trip, as I recall, especially if a wait was involved. For our visit this August, she will be newly-turned 4 yrs old. She has already decided with whom she would like to dine, who's autographs she wants, and what rides are on her "must-do" list. And whether or not she will have her "own" WDW stroller or share with her cousin. Should be interesting!

We just took our daughters, 1 and 3. We foolishly tried parkhopping every day, and it was just too exhausting for them, even with nap breaks. Next year we are going to focus less on the parks, and more on the other recreation available...(ie surrey bikes, hay rides at FW).

I think that the fun quotient when it comes to little kids depends entirely on their ability to sleep on the move. If you have the sort of kid who laughs until he drops and then just conks out instantly, like mine, you can go anytime. You do the kiddie rides while they are awake, and child-swap while they snooze. (In DS' case, he's such a heavy sleeper that we could do anything while he snoozed; he even slept through Tarzan Rocks.) Also, we ALWAYS park-hop with a midday resort break, then close the last park down.

The key, I think, is don't wait the first trip so long that they can get on the "tall" rides. If their ages are in double-digits on the first visit, you've probably blown it. Several people in my family have done this, only to find that their kids were more interested in shopping (the girls) or the coasters at USIOA (the boys), and thought WDW was just t-o-o-o-o m-u-c-h w-a-l-k-i-n-g! On the other hand, if they have been visiting since early childhood, many tweens still enjoy going and can be trusted with some independence b/c they know the place like the back of their hands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter